Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2009, 01:04 PM
RoyalAir
Looks Better In Gold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydromel View Post
The key words are "right now". It all, of course, is a moot point until Kari is actually back and has played some games in Chicago, as Chucky17 said.
Also, at some point I think that either Moose or Pavelec is due for slump.
Hopefully, it will be timed with Kari's successful pain-free return.
I really don't get it. This team is getting the best goaltending in the history of the franchise right now, yet it seems as if you're pulling for a slump to insert Lehtonen. Why? What, in the history of his development with this team, leads you to believe that he can lead the club forward?

The only way I want Lehtonen playing hockey for Atlanta is for about four games so he can be shipped to Detroit for Abdelkader or something. This team has its goalies; Lehtonen isn't one of them.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Atlthrashersfan01

But Moose is 36. Isn't he most likely going to be retiring soon. His contract is up I thought at the end of the year.

Old
12-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Taxman

If we trade Lehtonen, I would think that we would let him play for a few weeks at least to let other NHL teams see how well he is playing post surgery and recovery.

Old
12-06-2009, 04:19 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

I don't think there's any deals the Thrashers could do without it being horribly one-sided. Not this season, anyway. I just can't see someone taking Lehtonen with the injury issues and the lack of performance this season without the trade being slanted in the opposite team's favor. Moose is old, but if Ondrej keeps playing well, maybe you can give away Kari for a ransom of draft picks or something.

Old
12-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Moose is in great shape and is playing really really well. I think he's got at least one more season in him.

Old
12-06-2009, 06:08 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

If Kari comes back and plays great I wouldn't be entirely opposed to moving Pavelec if he could get an amazing return.

Old
12-07-2009, 04:23 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

It makes sense to auction Lehtonen off for a 2nd rounder and prospect, with the plan of keeping Hedberg for one more year or signing a veteran to mentor Ondrej. It's not a terrible idea to keep Kari in the mix, maybe a cheap one year deal? The only fly in the ointment is that Lehtonen and Pavs are both RFA's and one might strongly prefer that the other not re-sign...

Old
12-07-2009, 08:32 AM
hydromel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
I really don't get it. This team is getting the best goaltending in the history of the franchise right now, yet it seems as if you're pulling for a slump to insert Lehtonen. Why? What, in the history of his development with this team, leads you to believe that he can lead the club forward?

The only way I want Lehtonen playing hockey for Atlanta is for about four games so he can be shipped to Detroit for Abdelkader or something. This team has its goalies; Lehtonen isn't one of them.
No, not at all. I truly hope that Pavelec and Moose sustain their high level of play all season. But I just expect that one of the two will have a drop off at some point. IF they do, THEN at least Lehtonen is available and will probably be playing very well as he is now 'pain-free' and is a very good goalie.
I am just hoping for a best case scenario. Best case being that the only way I want Lehtonen back in the line-up is if Pavs or Moose is slumping, because either way, I think that Lehtonen will start to see games when he is healthy, at the expense of Moose.

I am with you, though, in that I would rather see Pavelec kept as the #1 long-term. Lehtonen will HAVE to be inserted at some point to prove that he has some value left (for Waddell to trade away).

Old
12-07-2009, 10:44 AM
RoyalAir
Looks Better In Gold

Quote:
No, not at all. I truly hope that Pavelec and Moose sustain their high level of play all season. But I just expect that one of the two will have a drop off at some point. IF they do, THEN at least Lehtonen is available and will probably be playing very well as he is now 'pain-free' and is a very good goalie.
I am just hoping for a best case scenario. Best case being that the only way I want Lehtonen back in the line-up is if Pavs or Moose is slumping, because either way, I think that Lehtonen will start to see games when he is healthy, at the expense of Moose.

I am with you, though, in that I would rather see Pavelec kept as the #1 long-term. Lehtonen will HAVE to be inserted at some point to prove that he has some value left (for Waddell to trade away).
OK. I was a little confused by the original post. We're on the same page, then.

I do think that even if Moose does decide to hang it up at the end of the year (but the way he's playing, why would he?) we could get a good backup like Biron or something on the FA market to back up OtG.

I agree about the RFA thing. I don't think you can keep both Lehts and OtG around long-term.

Old
12-07-2009, 10:58 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
If Kari comes back and plays great I wouldn't be entirely opposed to moving Pavelec if he could get an amazing return.
I would be...even if Kari comes back this year and is awesome (HUGE "if"), history shows he will have some sort of injury next year which will sideline him for 2-3 months.

Old
12-09-2009, 05:34 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

ESPN has reported that the Thrashers have made an offer which included a goalie... interesting.

Old
12-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Blasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
ESPN has reported that the Thrashers have made an offer which included a goalie... interesting.
Could you share the link for that please?

Old
12-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasto View Post
Could you share the link for that please?
You don't even want to know what they are trying to get or from whom?

Old
12-10-2009, 05:00 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

It was on ESPN's rumor section yesturday. I am not a subscriber for the ESPN insider so i couldn't read it.

Old
12-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Blasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
You don't even want to know what they are trying to get or from whom?
I just wanted to know what ESPN was spreading around...

Old
12-10-2009, 05:11 PM
hydromel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasto View Post
I just wanted to know what ESPN was spreading around...
try ESPN.com

oh and you'll need to type a 'www.' before the 'espn'

i can't read the article, though, because you have to be an 'insider' to access it.
from what i've heard, the Thrashers have made him available and would take a pick for him.

edit: found this quote

Quote:
Per ESPN:

The Atlanta Thrashers have officially put Kari Lehtonen on the market, according toRDS’s Bob Hartley, and it will cost his suitors a conditional draft pick.

Last edited by hydromel: 12-10-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old
12-10-2009, 05:27 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by espn
Per ESPN:

The Atlanta Thrashers have officially put Kari Lehtonen on the market, according toRDS’s Bob Hartley, and it will cost his suitors a conditional draft pick.
Didn't kovalchuk come out and say that anything Hartley said about the Thrashers is complete and utter BS?? I'll see if I can find the quote.

Old
12-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Hanson Brothers

Still no news about Kari? It's 6,5 weeks since his latest surgery, which was supposed to have 6-8 weeks recovery time.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Nemesis73

Hes started skating...

I hope hes much better and comes back soon

Old
12-17-2009, 02:10 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

This is one thing the Thrashers cannot not do. They cannot trade him. Atleast not until we see him in action again. Our luck he will get traded and go on to have a monster injury free career and it will bite us. If his injury is truely over with, he will be this teams starting goalie for years and Pavs will be bye bye that is a fact.

I actually really want to see Kari back in action. I have a feeling that he is going to be dominant. When is he due back? He will probably go to Chicago a few games right? I hope he can come back by the time the Olympic break ends.

If Lehtonen proves to stay injury free when he returns, he will be on this team next year i can guarentee and his deal will be cheap probably a 1 year 1.5 mil so he can prove himself again.. All the haters will be in tears because he is definitly better than Pavelec and he will re gain his starting job. In my eyes he is the teams starter and he has it when he comes back.

I'm done believing in Pavelec until he can prove to me he can play a string of 3 good games.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:31 AM
ArVeeDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
This is one thing the Thrashers cannot not do. They cannot trade him. Atleast not until we see him in action again. Our luck he will get traded and go on to have a monster injury free career and it will bite us. If his injury is truely over with, he will be this teams starting goalie for years and Pavs will be bye bye that is a fact.

I actually really want to see Kari back in action. I have a feeling that he is going to be dominant. When is he due back? He will probably go to Chicago a few games right? I hope he can come back by the time the Olympic break ends.

If Lehtonen proves to stay injury free when he returns, he will be on this team next year i can guarentee and his deal will be cheap probably a 1 year 1.5 mil so he can prove himself again.. All the haters will be in tears because he is definitly better than Pavelec and he will re gain his starting job. In my eyes he is the teams starter and he has it when he comes back.

I'm done believing in Pavelec until he can prove to me he can play a string of 3 good games.
I'm done believing in Lehtonen until he can prove to me he can play a string of 3 games.

Old
12-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
is he worth picking up in fantasy?

is he playing tonight?

they say hes atl #1 guy...thoughts, please?

Old
12-17-2009, 11:59 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown93 View Post
is he worth picking up in fantasy?

is he playing tonight?

they say hes atl #1 guy...thoughts, please?
I don't even think he is skating yet. Don't pick him up.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:07 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
I'm keeping the faith in Pavelec but damn I'd love to see Kari come back and dominate WITHOUT GETTING HURT!!!

Old
12-18-2009, 12:29 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I don't even think he is skating yet. Don't pick him up.
He is skating, but you wouldn't know it due to the lack of coverage from either the team's site or the AJC. He was skating early Sunday morning before Thrashers practice.

Closed Thread