HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malakhov's comments

Old
10-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Malakhov's comments

Anybody have a link for this? Just heard on RIS that Vladimir Malakhow said in a newspaper that the french Habs fans are xenophobes towards Russians and that they believe they are the only ones to know hockey because of the 24 Cups the Habs have.

He also said that Vigneault, at the time, forced him to comeback earlier despite the knee injury he had at the time. Reason why he suggests to Markov to take all the time he needs to comeback....

Did he actually kept all that rage for so long???

There are to be a link somewhere isn't it?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
tiredman

vCash: 500
http://www.ruefrontenac.com/sports/h...4-de-foyrussie

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
Thanks.

Geez, it's pretty pathetic especially when he used the Kovalev situation to explain how Russians are so badly treated here....

I'll tell you this might affect how Russians sees the team. Pretty sure Perezhogin didn't like the way it ended as well. Valentenko leaving, Emelin's not coming......We would need some Kovalev or more likely some Markov comments in order to keep our relationship with Russians....we have a few kids we are counting on.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:45 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Anybody have a link for this? Just heard on RIS that Vladimir Malakhow said in a newspaper that the french Habs fans are xenophobes towards Russians and that they believe they are the only ones to know hockey because of the 24 Cups the Habs have.

He also said that Vigneault, at the time, forced him to comeback earlier despite the knee injury he had at the time. Reason why he suggests to Markov to take all the time he needs to comeback....

who???

Seriously, totally free comments that isnt representative of the reality.. We are praising Markov like no one even despite the fact he accomplished nothing in playoffs yet.. some are thinking of him as our next captain, and as far as I know Markov is Russian..

This is not a matter of nationality, what I think Habs fans want the most are players giving their all every shifts, thats it thats all and unfortunately Malakov wasnt known for his working habits..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 10-14-2009 at 08:52 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Kingbobert

everyone thats met malkhov will tell you one thing....he's the worlds biggest d bag...
i've had ppl tell me he's asked ppl to pay him for an autograph
to flat out telling a kid to f-off when he asked for an autograph

this guy though he was a superstar so if he was mistreated here good

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
HabuseMoi

was he the guy skiing while he was injured? (I was pretty young back in the time.)

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:47 PM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Its too bad that guy had a loose cannon head because he had some nice talent.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:51 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

I wonder if the knee injury Malakhov is referring to is the same one he went skiing on with his family before coming back to play for the team.

While super skilled, many of the Russians that have played for the Habs have been headcases.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:04 PM
overlords
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
was he the guy skiing while he was injured? (I was pretty young back in the time.)
pretty sure that was breezer

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think Brisebois went to Paris and Malakhov was skiing.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
It happened with Malakhov too. Brisebois wasn't hurt to the knee, he was tired mentally and physically, he needed a break.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kovalost27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
No, that was Brisebois.

I don't mind Malakhov's comments. However, if he were more fair, he should've said that Montreal Canadiens fans, particularly amongst the French speaking side, idealize a more Francophone team partly because of national pride and partly because most of the Montreal Canadiens success has come from having a more Canadian team.

As for hatred towards Kovalev, I can see where he's coming from. As much as he's loved, he's loathed for 'being lazy' and 'being selfish'; two traits which are falsely associated with Kovalev's character and performance. The biggest fall of Kovalev is that sometimes he tries to be too fancy and that makes him counter productive.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Yep. However, I'm not sure what was the problem with Brisebois going to Paris... wasn't he injured ?

Old
10-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalost27 View Post
No, that was Brisebois.

I don't mind Malakhov's comments. However, if he were more fair, he should've said that Montreal Canadiens fans, particularly amongst the French speaking side, idealize a more Francophone team partly because of national pride and partly because most of the Montreal Canadiens success has come from having a more Canadian team.

As for hatred towards Kovalev, I can see where he's coming from. As much as he's loved, he's loathed for 'being lazy' and 'being selfish'; two traits which are falsely associated with Kovalev's character and performance. The biggest fall of Kovalev is that sometimes he tries to be too fancy and that makes him counter productive.
Kovalev's been labeled that way because he's russian, that's the prejudice against russian players : Lazy and selfish. I've heard it many times about many different russian players.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:19 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Right answer!

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:26 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:

He's totally wrong they aren't xenophobes towards Russians, but rather towards anyone who is not Quebecois. I don't think the xenophobes in the habs fan base cherry pick a particular group to not like, unless you can call "everyone who's not like me" a group. And I'd argue its not the majority of french habs fans but a very vocal minority.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:27 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Kovalev's been labeled that way because he's russian, that's the prejudice against russian players : Lazy and selfish. I've heard it many times about many different russian players.
says he who lives in Quebec

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

Considering the **** Jean Perron says on national TV, and the many that eat up his words, I don't find ANYTHING outrageous about Malakhov's comments. Admittedly, he could do without the "francophone" tag, but I'm sure what he meant to say was the FRENCH person that always rags on Russians (PERRON).

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Considering the **** Jean Perron says on national TV, and the many that eat up his words, I don't find ANYTHING outrageous about Malakhov's comments. Admittedly, he could do without the "francophone" tag, but I'm sure what he meant to say was the FRENCH person that always rags on Russians (PERRON).
I'm not even sure 110% existed at that time... and if it existed, at the beginning of 110%, there wasn't any debates.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

I hate this guy but is kinda right when he says that Habs fans think they knows their hockey

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:49 PM
panorama01*

The first Russian to play for the Canadiens was Oleg Petrov in 1992-93 and he was sent to the minors quickly and didn't return until the next year...

He was in and out of the lineup until 1996-97 when he left for Europe. Next, was Malakhov in 1995, Valeri Bure in 1995 and then there was Andrei Kovalenko in 1995 later on.

Who was the first to be blamed for the 1996 first round exit against the Rangers? Why, Kovalenko, of course, and they were clear about that and there were suggestions that it was because of his origins... the heartless Russian stereotype.

I guess they were fair and sacrificed the Quebec player, Pierre Turgeon, next, but with Petrov, Kovalenko and Malakhov and the reputations they got, you can't say that this was a good experience between Russian players and the Canadiens.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Prudentius

It's pretty pathetic he took some of his own time to phone call Kovalev and try to make sure he didn't sign with us after the lock-out.

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

He was good in my N64 NHL98 :breakaway game

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by panorama01 View Post
The first Russian to play for the Canadiens was Oleg Petrov in 1992-93 and he was sent to the minors quickly and didn't return until the next year...

He was in and out of the lineup until 1996-97 when he left for Europe. Next, was Malakhov in 1995, Valeri Bure in 1995 and then there was Andrei Kovalenko in 1995 later on.

Who was the first to be blamed for the 1996 first round exit against the Rangers? Why, Kovalenko, of course, and they were clear about that and there were suggestions that it was because of his origins... the heartless Russian stereotype.

I guess they were fair and sacrificed the Quebec player, Pierre Turgeon, next, but with Petrov, Kovalenko and Malakhov and the reputations they got, you can't say that this was a good experience between Russian players and the Canadiens.
Malakhov WAS lazy. Any team that had them said the same: he could have been a Norris trophy winner, but he was too laid back. It's in his nature. Like it's in Guillaume's nature.

As for Kovalenko, like many hockey players (not only russians), he was a known a-hole. Very FEW teammates liked him. It was said in the Colorado room after he left, and in Montreal.

People in Montreal LOVE Markov and ADORED Kovalev, even though they hated his dangling (which they should, because it's not hockey). I mean, I've never seen a hockey player in modern Montreal been able to have a public rally to force the Habs to keep him.

The difference between the Malakhov/Kovalev generation and today's russian one (Like Malkin and Ovechkin) is that they are more intense and exuberant. What used to be a north american trademark is now international.

I guess you guys are too young to remember Boris Mikhailov scoring a game winning goal and not even rising his stick up, or, heck, even smiling.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:53 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
I hate this guy but is kinda right when he says that Habs fans think they knows their hockey

They do. Most of them. Moreso than anywhere else in the NHL. If you've visited other rinks, you probably noticed the difference.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote