HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shawn Belle recalled! (WTF?)

Old
10-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
I think i will trust BG and his staff...
me too

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:01 PM
odishabs

Heyyy! Now our defence has an identity....Scary!

Spacek - Hamrlik
Mara - Gorges
Belle - Gill

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Usually I'd agree.

But this guy really is awful, unlike Henry he can skate... But that's pretty much it. Constantly out of position, no offensive upside... He just doesn't have it to keep up at this level IMO.

I mean, I'd be happy to be proven wrong and all, but I don't see it.
Thing is, who from this board expect our callup to have no flaws? We did hire Gill and Mara 'cause we thought our kids were far from ready, so why do suddenly do our callups need to play like 10-year vets? I can go on the list of flaws for EVERY of our d-men in Hamilton. But Belle possess 2 things that MIGHT, and I stress MIGHT, play in his favor compared to what we have. Speed and physical play. While others like Weber and Carle might think the game better, they will be outmuscled even if they think ahead. Unfortunately, there are no Letang's in that farm team, at least not until Subban is ready.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:20 PM
minion

Best quote about Belle, and one of my all time favorite HF quotes, sums him up perfectly: "Has all the tools, but has no tool box". And that is so true: he's got speed, a decent shot, big body... all kinds of tools. He has zero hockey smarts, and can't ever seem to put everything together.

There's a reason he's been involved with 4 NHL organizations by the age of 24.

minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Thing is, who from this board expect our callup to have no flaws?
I don't. But I don't expect us to call the guy who has the most. Personally, I would have sticked with Weber.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:15 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I also don't understand why MAB has to play at least 3 AHL games while Chipchura was in a similar spot after missing all of camp and was immediately inserted into the lineup once Metro went down.
Well, it has been a total disaster playing Chipchura so maybe let's not do that again?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:20 AM
coolasprICE

I am post 133

Shawn Belle must feel special

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:22 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by expos4ever View Post
I'm not sure why there is so much angst on this board about the Belle callup. Clearly, this is a guy being brought in as a #7 D (a spare part) who will probably play only very occasionally, while spending most nights in the pressbox, watching. He will be shipped out once O'Byrne returns to the lineup. The team simply didn't want Weber, carle, or Subban stuck in the pressbox...

Bergeron is the guy who will fit into the top-6 D during in Markov's absence...
I basically agree with this and in fact predicted to a friend this morning that Belle was getting the call after I heard that Weber was sent down.

Here's another angle on the move. Both Guy Boucher and Jacques Martin are known for, and have a mandate to promote, the development of younger players. Since everyone agrees that Belle has tools, maybe these two educators feel they can teach him positioning. Likely Boucher was consulted that he has already seen some positive signs from Belle or he would have said something to scuttle the move.

Old
10-14-2009, 12:31 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Sorry but Belle is really that bad defensively.. doesnt read the play well.. This team has too many 6th defensemen, dressing a marginal AHLer wont help the situation.. Wrong black guy!!
I think the expectations of some fans are not realistic.

When a team has 7 defencemen, and two get injured, the next one to get called up is at best the 8th defenceman. Telling us that the club will end up with too many 6th defencemen cannot therefore be a valid criticism of the callup player.

By the way, a +19 on an average AHL team is not a marginal AHLer but rather a very solid one. And if an AHLer must play due to injuries, I would rather one with a nice plus at the level below us than someone who is offensively minded but inexperienced.

Furthermore, it seems obvious that management expects Marc-André Bergeron to join the team soon, since he is only in Hamilton on a short CONDITIONING stint. Therefore, Belle would really be the 7th defenceman (because two are injured), sitting in the pressbox most of the time. Why would anyone want Carle or Subban in that position?

Old
10-14-2009, 12:33 AM
coolasprICE

Does anyone know how a call-up effects the cap room for a guy like Belle who makes 500k in the NHL?

Is it increased to the same amount he earns?

And to calculate what he earns is just the amount of weeks he's here divided by total weeks in a season x his salary?

I know they get paid on the 15th and 30th, how many weeks are considered in the season (number of weeks in the 82 game schedule?)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
The guy is 6' 1" 240, he's a ****ing tank. He's mobile for his size and was a 1st round pick.

Let's see what he can do.
Sounds like Laraques size, minus a few inches... does he drop the gloves?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-14-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Merge
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
This kid was never given a chance in the NHL, give him a chance!
He played 9 games with the wild, was a +4 and had 1 assist.

If he gets to play, I'll be kind, since I'm almost the only one who's kind towards Gill...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Sounds like Laraques size, minus a few inches... does he drop the gloves?
Not often but he doesn't lose.

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...px?Player=8190

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Native

i'd love it if belle actually pans out. he does have good serviceable tools but how they translate in the nhl right now, we'll have to wait and see. he deserves a shot and hope he plays well. we can use his size and if he just sticks to the basics as he gains confidence, he can be a diamond in the rough.

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'd say let's give it a game or two. At this point, defensively what do we have to lose? We've looked so awful so the worst that can happen is that we still look awful.

For Belle, this is a good chance to prove himself. Let him get out there, put a few good hits out, get a feel for the puck and let him learn some things.

If he pans out, then he pans out. If he doesn't then we send him back down and recall MAB after his two game stint in Hamilton.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:54 AM
PlayMistyForMe

Quote:
Just like all of you, I am stunned. The only other possible explanation is that Belle's cap hit is 500 K, while the 3 prospects are in the 850-875 K range. We're still only talking about a few days on the roster, it's not a huge amount of $.

You can just see this happening: Belle will look like the AHL d-man that he is and will end up playing less than 10 minutes per game in the two games he will play (JM made it clear Bergeron is staying with the Dogs for their games Friday and Saturday) and that will force the other 5 D's to be overused, which just doesn't seem like a good idea sans Markov.

I also don't understand why MAB has to play at least 3 AHL games while Chipchura was in a similar spot after missing all of camp and was immediately inserted into the lineup once Metro went down.

Very solid observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I basically agree with this and in fact predicted to a friend this morning that Belle was getting the call after I heard that Weber was sent down.

Here's another angle on the move. Both Guy Boucher and Jacques Martin are known for, and have a mandate to promote, the development of younger players. Since everyone agrees that Belle has tools, maybe these two educators feel they can teach him positioning. Likely Boucher was consulted that he has already seen some positive signs from Belle or he would have said something to scuttle the move.
Getting tired of hearing Martin is an "educator". So he is bringing up Belle to "educate" him. Why could he not "educate" Weber, SK, Max Pac and D'Agostini? Lots of bull**** if you ask me. Maybe it is Martin who needs to be "educated".

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-14-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Merge
PlayMistyForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 04:44 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Good luck to the guy. He works hard and sticks up for his teammates. Hopefully he gets the job done and gets some praise for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Can Belle fight? Remember that Montreal is facing Toronto on saturday.

NVM, they're facing the Sens.
As others have mentioned, he will fight and stick up for any of his teammates, kinda like Mara does. Not sure how well he will do in fights at the NHL level but he has size, is one seriously ripped dude from what I've heard and would be willing to drop the gloves any time. He probably won't set the world on fire with his fights but I imagine he'd do a decent job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Agreed...

But that says more about Carle than it does the team, I think.
The thing with Carle is he has started the last two seasons injured. Not this year. It's gonna be interesting to see how he fares this season if he can stay healthy the whole way. He certainly has his faults, but he is a very capable player when on his game and still has a fair bit of potential yet to exploit. This season will be huge for him, hopefully he does enough to get a chance in the NHL at some, be it here or elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
It's amazing how many whiners we have on this board. It's getting beyond pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
I get confused when I see PK and Belle on at the same time too. Its okay Bob, happens to all of us.
I suspect Bob Gainey can distinguish between left and right handed players. No idea whether you can, that's something you'll have to answer for yourself

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by expos4ever View Post
I'm not sure why there is so much angst on this board about the Belle callup. Clearly, this is a guy being brought in as a #7 D (a spare part) who will probably play only very occasionally, while spending most nights in the pressbox, watching. He will be shipped out once O'Byrne returns to the lineup. The team simply didn't want Weber, carle, or Subban stuck in the pressbox...

Bergeron is the guy who will fit into the top-6 D during in Markov's absence...
this.

With Belle's 500,000 cap hit, his salary and status in the organization fits the 6th/7th guy perfectly till all our D are Healthy. Of course as long as he plays well.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Does anyone know how a call-up effects the cap room for a guy like Belle who makes 500k in the NHL?

Is it increased to the same amount he earns?

And to calculate what he earns is just the amount of weeks he's here divided by total weeks in a season x his salary?

I know they get paid on the 15th and 30th, how many weeks are considered in the season (number of weeks in the 82 game schedule?)?
As far as i know. the number of days on the active roster determines the cap hit.

i.e. if he's up for five days, 5/180(approx) X $500 K

On the recall, I've heard some veteran players say, the toughest part of their careers was getting yanked back and forth between the minors and the NHL. Not the way to treat your top prospects to aid their development. And like others have said, Guy Boucher must have been consulted. And give the guy a chance.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Like some have said, Chip practiced with the team, not MAB. Besides, surely we could have sent Chip for conditioning but who else do you bring up? They don't believe in Maxwell in a 4th liner role. The only other option would have been Pyatt but he wasn't ready for the 1st road game. And then, you have to take a decision this year as far as Chip is concerned. So why not play him and see how he deals with adversity.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:05 AM
ChesterNimitz

Shawn Belle - A Cautionary Tale

Why Belle? The answer is simple. He addresses the greatest weakness on this team: a lack of mobility on the defence. With a defence composed of Gill, Mara, Spacek, Hamrlik, Gorges, etc. the Canadiens probably have the slowest and least dynamic group of defencemen in the league. This lack of mobility not only prevents the team from closing down faster teams in the neutral and defensive zones (think the Vancouver game) but also prevents them from initiating and assisting the offence. Those who thought that the team could survive (if not flourish) the loss of Markov now know the awful truth - we can't. It's going to be a long painful year, in either official language. But let us all hope Gainey doesn't repeat the gross mistakes of last year and try to fix the unsolvable, systemic flaws of the team with short term fixes. The 2010 draft will be one of the strongest drafts since 2005. With players like Hall, Seguin, Connolly, Kabanov, Gormley, Granlund and Fowler available, any of the teams drafting in the top 10 positions have a chance of securing a franchise style player. When Markov went down he took the 2009 / 2010 season with him. Let's not compound that tragedy and flail around seeking unworkable solutions that sound of panic and will cause the team long term harm. The fact that the team now has to revert to Shawn Belle to address its shortcomings on defence provides a cautionary tale of the sins resulting from managerial impatience and incompetence.

That is all.

Last edited by ChesterNimitz: 10-14-2009 at 09:40 AM.
ChesterNimitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:10 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
By the way, a +19 on an average AHL team is not a marginal AHLer but rather a very solid one. And if an AHLer must play due to injuries, I would rather one with a nice plus at the level below us than someone who is offensively minded but inexperienced.

Average AHL team? Only one team in the AHL had more wins then the Dogs and that was their division leading moose. Hamilton was one of the best teams in the AHL last year. Belle was solid all year for sure, but playing a lot with Weber does help as Weber was one of the top scoring defensemen for goals in the AHL.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:24 AM
BoNeS42

I love how we treat Shawn Belle like he was a 30 years old veteran. Yet, he's fricking 24 and never really had his chance in the NHL, he had it once and did alright.

He's also a 1st round pick.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:29 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Average AHL team? Only one team in the AHL had more wins then the Dogs and that was their division leading moose. Hamilton was one of the best teams in the AHL last year. Belle was solid all year for sure, but playing a lot with Weber does help as Weber was one of the top scoring defensemen for goals in the AHL.
This is HF, people don't watch the AHL. It's kind of like the media in Montreal. They all seem to have an opinion on the farm team players but have never really seen them play. Strange isn't it ?
Belle may not be the flashy type player everyone talks about, but he might actually do the job requested right now. Like Mara who gets no attention, but after 5 games he has 4 assists ( don't hear anyone saying how well he is playing ) because he is the type of player who gets his job done without the flash.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:33 AM

Belle will probably serve as the rotational 6/7 dman with Bergeron once he has completed his conditionning stint.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:15 AM
saints96

If he was a Quebecer this thread would look so much different. Just pretend hes a francophone and then you can all say, '' but give him time, he needs more ice time to develop''. Whats with everyone freaking out before he even has a chance to play on thursday. Calm the **** down everyone, jeez!

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote