HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shawn Belle recalled! (WTF?)

Old
10-14-2009, 02:54 PM
LouisJCloutier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
You mean they didn't come to the HF Boards to see what people thought????
Habs management

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Gary320

Only problem with these things is there is never a middle ground with some Habs fans.. either Belle will be really good tommorow or really bad tommorow.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Marchy79

Seriously
I'm hoping for the guy

I thought it was definately an interesting pick up, & had a bit of hope for him this summer heading in to camp.

Belle was a very sharp defenceman in Hamilton last year, I dont understand why people gave up on him so quickly...
He's 24. There's MANY NHL'ers who cracked in the NHL later than 24, & many effective ones too.

He's got the tools. Nobody disagreed with that. He just like many have said, did not entirely put him together. But this guy was traded to us @ like 22 years of age. & came here behind automatic ahl'er tag. Could it be entirely possible, that Bob had other plans?

he's not going to win scoring titles. But if he plays hard, remains a +, & contributes defensively, imho he has potential to be serviceable d. He has speed, size & skill to become an nhl defenceman. IMHO, he's going to surprise a good majority of people.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:07 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm. I guess Busto was busy this weekend

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Here's hoping for a good, solid game by Belle tonight. This would serve two purposes: Help the Habs win and shut people's nasty mouth!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:31 AM
PacoXIII

The only reason RDS hates on Shawn Belle is because Mathieu Carle wasnt called up instead. Other than that, I say we give this guy a chance. Guy Boucher must've seen something in him to recommend him to JM. In pre-season he was far from spectacular but I saw some good things. Kinda like Gorges in his first years. I heard in the world juniors he used to play WITH Gorges. I dunno if that's true though. Would be cool to see them together again.

PacoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
It's like a lot of posters are thinking that Boucher and his coaching staff are a bunch of morons.
They are the ones on the ice and working with these guys.
Can we trust them.

I am sure that once PK has played 20-30 games in AHL, he will be a top contender for a recall.
For now, they choose Belle because they think he is the best for the situation.
May be this will change in a week.

So let's give a chance to the guy.

The only thing I don't understand is why RDS keeps bashing Belle.
I did looked at the pre-season and tought that Belle was very good.
Did some replay to see how his defensive play was good and how solid he was on the ice.
I learned his name by seing him do good plays time after time.
A lot of posters should not listen to RDS.
My heart is with Carle, he has been with us many years. My brain likes Belle a lot.

Where Komi uses his stick in the face to challenge/block an opponent, Belle uses strength and just stops the player with his size.

He is certainly as strong (if not stronger) and more mobile than Komi. But he does not do cross-check in the face.

I am sure that if you pay attention tonight, you will be very surprised at the defensive quality of this guy.

Does not throw spectacular hits like Valentenko nor double-check like Komisarek (sounds like a dinausor name) but will not get penalties and will not be out of place.
At least that's what I saw in the two pre-Season games he played.

Really you dont understand why???? I've been hearing all week thats its a slap in the face for Carle not beign called up. As if hes our savior. Understand something people, whenever there's a quebcois player fighting for a spot, the french media will inevitably bash the player(s) fighting for the same spot or the player(s) who hold the current spot.

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Joe Malone

Belle speaks in this article:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...403221-cp.html

It will be a special night for 24-year-old Shawn Belle, who was called up from AHL Hamilton to replace young rearguard Yannick Weber, who was sent back after struggling in three games and going minus-4 for Montreal.

Belle, the last pick in the first round of the 2003 draft, played nine games for the Minnesota Wild in 2006-07 but has not seen NHL action since. The six-foot-one, 240-pounder is coming off a strong season in Hamilton and a decent training camp.

"I wasn't surprised, I was playing pretty well down in Hamilton," said the 24-year-old Edmonton native. "I did certain things in camp that I felt might help me stay here.

"I played more defensive. I like to jump up in the play. Speed is one of my best assets, but I stayed back and played more defensive than I normally would."

The Canadiens were expected to call up recently acquired defenceman Marc-Andre Bergeron, but Martin said he needed extra work in Hamilton because he didn't have a training camp.

"We may play more with five defencemen, depending on Belle's performance," said Martin.

Belle has friends on the Canadiens. He is a former junior teammate of goaltender Carey Price and once had Josh Gorges as his defence partner with Canada at the world junior championships.

"It's a little different this time," he said of his second NHL chance. "There's a lot of guys hurt now.

"In Minnesota, there wasn't as big of a depth chart so there was more competition. Here, there's a chance that if I play well, things could happen for me. So there's a little more incentive. I just want to continue to be strong defensively and use the body. I don't have to fight all the time, but just make sure I'm physical."

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Bullsmith

You have to think Carle's disappointed, but I can't understand why anyone would complain that Belle got a call up. He was an outstanding junior, a high draft pick and has been a reliable, physical and fairly mobile defenceman. Reliable and mobile are not exactly the words I'd pick to describe the habs d this year, especially without Markov and O'Byrne.

Give the guy a chance. Why on earth wouldn't you root for this guy?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:13 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I hope he keeps it simple, he does seem at his best when he goes the safe route. I love how he stands up for a teammate though, doesn't hesitate either, will just drop the gloves and start throwing em.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:26 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I hope he keeps it simple, he does seem at his best when he goes the safe route. I love how he stands up for a teammate though, doesn't hesitate either, will just drop the gloves and start throwing em.
I don't know why a lot of people are high on Mathieu Carle... Honestly, from what I've seen, he's easily pushed around, looked like a pylon on a lot of plays against speedy forwards, created turnovers because his passes weren't tape to tape.

As for Belle, I didn't noticed a single play where he looked out of position. I'm happy they give this guy a try, because, quite honestly, Weber's hazardous plays in the D zone was painful to watch, and his lack of physicality was soooo obvious, he isn't NHL material atm... I'd rather the Habs play a conservative game with a strong, big D, than trying to deal with unexperienced offensive D that shoots on the opponents pads 8 on 10 times. Really disapointed with Weber... RDS almost made me believe we had a Brian Campbell in our farm...

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:36 AM
kovalost27

Looks good to me!

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:36 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
You have to think Carle's disappointed, but I can't understand why anyone would complain that Belle got a call up. He was an outstanding junior, a high draft pick and has been a reliable, physical and fairly mobile defenceman. Reliable and mobile are not exactly the words I'd pick to describe the habs d this year, especially without Markov and O'Byrne.

Give the guy a chance. Why on earth wouldn't you root for this guy?
I wasn't really impressed with Carle during the preseason. He couldn't move guys in front of the net. I thought Belle used his body more, and he is pretty mobile for his size. We're not calling up the next Bouwmeester here, but I think he'll be serviceable to us.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:37 AM

Love how RDS refers to Shawn Belle as "African-American" lol

Anyways, looking forward to seeing him play...he was pretty highly touted coming out of juniors but has really struggled with some of the finer aspects of playing defense at the professional level. He seems to have found his niche as a stay-at-home physical/mobile dmen the last couple of years though, good for him for persevering thus far

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I see a lot of hype for the guy. It'll be a shame when he makes his first series of mistakes and everyone here jumps on him like savages. Suddenly, he'll suck ass as a human being, people will ask "What were you thinking Martin???" and someone will mention it's all Gainey's fault.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:50 AM
King Of The World

give the guy a ****ing chance man

King Of The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:52 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post
I don't know why a lot of people are high on Mathieu Carle... Honestly, from what I've seen, he's easily pushed around, looked like a pylon on a lot of plays against speedy forwards, created turnovers because his passes weren't tape to tape.

As for Belle, I didn't noticed a single play where he looked out of position. I'm happy they give this guy a try, because, quite honestly, Weber's hazardous plays in the D zone was painful to watch, and his lack of physicality was soooo obvious, he isn't NHL material atm... I'd rather the Habs play a conservative game with a strong, big D, than trying to deal with unexperienced offensive D that shoots on the opponents pads 8 on 10 times. Really disapointed with Weber... RDS almost made me believe we had a Brian Campbell in our farm...
Well I'm not a huge fan of Carle but he does have some serious offensive skills, he can really pass the puck and has good instincts in the offensive zone. His defensive zone play though needs a good bit of work, I'd like to see him get stronger physically and quicker as well. He's been solid in Hamilton, but right now I'm guessing the club wants someone that is safe and thats what Belle is, and that's what Carle is not.

As for Weber, he had a tough game against the nucks, but he also had likely the best rookie season I have seen from any of our AHL prospects since we moved to Hamilton, so the fact that he turned 21 2-3 weeks ago, imo he's ahead of where I would expect him to be development wise, so I'm willing to give it time. I did not want Weber to be a Hab this year, I expected him to get in some more games, but I didn't want him to be a regular, even next year, I think he could spend time in Hamilton if need be, I see no need to rush these guys. There is no doubt he has a great shot and if he can work on his defensive game, then he could turn into something good for us in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
I see a lot of hype for the guy. It'll be a shame when he makes his first series of mistakes and everyone here jumps on him like savages. Suddenly, he'll suck ass as a human being, people will ask "What were you thinking Martin???" and someone will mention it's all Gainey's fault.
I find it's better to just blame Gainey right away before he even hits the ice, I like to get it out of the way early.

So...... Gainey

Old
10-15-2009, 09:57 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
is he a decent fighter? ie. better than Komi ? Because I'd love to have him in the lineup when we play the leafs.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post
Carle is inconsistent but hopefully getting through training camp this year will allow him to focus more on the game instead of focusing on getting into game shape and staying healthy halfway through a season.

When he is on, in the AHL at least, he has a good point shot, although not on the same level as Weber. He can carry and pass the puck up ice quickly and accurately when on his game. As for his phyiscal play, he will never be mistaken for Alex Henry, but when on his game he can play a little like Gorges does. He will finish checks and compete hard although can still be outmuscled. The thing is that the positive traits in his game aren't always displayed and when he makes a mistake out there, he has a habit of making very eye catching mistakes.

IMO, we have better right handed D prospects than him, but we shouldn't just rule him out. He is still young and has plenty of potential to fulfil. If everyone in the org was healthy, we wouldn't need to rush him or the others so the least we can do is afford him some time to develop and see if he can live up to some of that promise.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:26 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Love how RDS refers to Shawn Belle as "African-American" lol
What would be better? African-Canadian? or just black?

I'm not trying to be funny or anything, I seriously would like to know. It seems like "african-american" has just kind of become the standard, politically correct term, even though it's not always the right term.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:33 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
is he a decent fighter? ie. better than Komi ? Because I'd love to have him in the lineup when we play the leafs.
Yea, he's solid. I've heard he's really strong as well.

Old
10-15-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
What would be better? African-Canadian? or just black?

I'm not trying to be funny or anything, I seriously would like to know. It seems like "african-american" has just kind of become the standard, politically correct term, even though it's not always the right term.
The proper term is "Canadian" Shawn Belle...is Canadian.

If you want to refer to the color of his skin, then he's "black".

"African-American" wouldn't be the correct term to use here because he's not American...."African-Canadian" also might not be correct because Belle could be of Jamaican,Haitian, etc descent.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:41 AM
felixd

Quote:

"African-American" wouldn't be the correct term to use here because he's not American...."African-Canadian" also might not be correct because Belle could be of Jamaican,Haitian, etc descent.
I see your original point. There's no reason for RDS to point out his race in discussing him, as it has no impact on his play.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:43 AM
BadKiwi

Last I checked, Canada was inside America...

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:

Bingo. Well put.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote