HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Prospal

Old
10-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Thunderstick

vCash: 500
Prospal

Do you think Prospal playing for Torteralla like he did in Tampa bring up his point totals this year

Thunderstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
clmetsfan

I don't have my decoder ring, but I think you're asking if playing for Tortorella before has benefited Prospal's play this year, in which case the obvious answer is yes. Familiarity and comfort with a coach and a system are always going to benefit a player.

Last edited by clmetsfan: 10-13-2009 at 07:46 PM.
clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:42 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstick View Post
Do you think Prospal playing for Torteralla like he did in Tampa bring up his point totals this year
I have no idea what you're saying, so I'll respond with my opinion of Prospal.

This guy is what we all wished Zherdev would become. A playmaking winger that can play the body, can play defense, and shows a lot of heart and intensity. It's a shame he probably won't be back next season because he's already become one of my favorites.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I have no idea what you're saying, so I'll respond with my opinion of Prospal.

This guy is what we all wished Zherdev would become. A playmaking winger that can play the body, can play defense, and shows a lot of heart and intensity. It's a shame he probably won't be back next season because he's already become one of my favorites.
I don't know, I think if he has a successful season and doesn't ask for too much money, we'd definitely be interested in bringing him back. I know we've got kids pushing hard, but I don't think we'd walk away from another discounted Prospal season.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
I think he mightve even been preferable to Straka on the Nylander-Jagr line.

As far as Torts helping him, I think its playing on Gaborik's line that is helping him more than anything else.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:56 PM
NYR MacTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I think he mightve even been preferable to Straka on the Nylander-Jagr line.

As far as Torts helping him, I think its playing on Gaborik's line that is helping him more than anything else.
i agree with the 2nd part, thats why i hope higgins gets a shot at that 1st line winger slot. but i wouldnt touch anything until the offense cools down

NYR MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 08:09 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't know, I think if he has a successful season and doesn't ask for too much money, we'd definitely be interested in bringing him back. I know we've got kids pushing hard, but I don't think we'd walk away from another discounted Prospal season.
I don't see any chance in hell of him taking 1.1 again, but Prospal is a character guy who has accomplished plenty in the NHL and has earned his share of money. He clearly has enjoyed playing in NY, on a contender, and under Torts, so I definitely could see him accepting a modest salary in order to stay with the Rangers. Maybe something like 1 year at 2.5 million.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 08:20 PM
KotsyJr
THE POWER OF CHRIST

Loving Vinny right now. His enthusiasm is a nice to see as well.

Hopefully he keeps it up the good play.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 08:27 PM
pwoz

Get rid of Rozsival and use that money to give Prospal and Staal raises.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Giacomin

Prospal

Vinny has been a bargain! He also seems to be around the puck.

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:22 PM
levski87

Vinny is a great player and if we can extend him after this season we definitely should. Give him a 2 year , 2.2 mil contract.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:50 PM
SouvenirCity

I was against the Prospal signing when it happened due to the potential logjam it would cause in our forward lines. But with Torts giving both Lisin and Kotalik ample time, and Prospals end to end play, I can't see any way why his points wouldn't increase. Also, Prospals passing and puck control allows Dubey to play the crash the net game he's most accustomed to, a la the Straka-Dubinsky-Jagr days.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:14 PM
PhilGash

He's been great for us and I'm glad to see him succeed thus far this season. If his play continues to be solid for the remainer of the season I'd re-up him for another year. I think offering him more than a 1 year deal would be silly because we have kids knocking on the door in the minors and we really don't need another elder statesman with a multi-year deal getting comfortable here in his "golden years". I've seen too much of that in the past.

PhilGash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Well lets get past the first 6 games before we start handing out contract extensions. Otherwise we'd have Voros for 6 years at 3 mil per.

Old
10-13-2009, 11:43 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Well lets get past the first 6 games before we start handing out contract extensions. Otherwise we'd have Voros for 6 years at 3 mil per.
While I get the point you're trying to make, I think there's a significant difference between being sold on an NHL veteran who has won the Cup and has averaged 20 goals per season after 6 games and being sold on a guy who has spent half the past few years in the NHL after 6 games.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
While I get the point you're trying to make, I think there's a significant difference between being sold on an NHL veteran who has won the Cup and has averaged 20 goals per season after 6 games and being sold on a guy who has spent half the past few years in the NHL after 6 games.
Prospal hasn't won the cup. Common misconception.

Old
10-14-2009, 01:42 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I don't have my decoder ring, but I think you're asking if playing for Tortorella before has benefited Prospal's play this year, in which case the obvious answer is yes. Familiarity and comfort with a coach and a system are always going to benefit a player.

Lets not forget that he's Lance Berkman of hockey. He just can't string 2 good seasons together. Prospal did put up 2 stinkers whilst playing for Torts (01/02 and 06/07 seasons). He's probably due for a drop off next season.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstick View Post
I hope your fantasy team comes in last

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:32 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I've been really enjoying Prospal thus far.

And that MSG Profile of him was hilarious.

"I like Abercrombie Fitch...yah know they make nice clothe."

SomebodySaveKreider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:07 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Vinny is a great player and if we can extend him after this season we definitely should. Give him a 2 year , 2.2 mil contract.
I wish we could get him at that but he truly deserves more.

Prospal is a hell of a player with few weaknesses that we can hopefully keep for a while. Prospal is also one of our best passers and that is something we haven't had since Nylander/Straka.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
What I simply can't believe is that a player of his caliber was whisker away in playing in the KHL and that only his Godfather link saved him.

Now doesn't that tell you a lot about the quality (or lack of it) amongst the NHL GM's

Frankly I don't think Vinny is the exception either. richard Zednik for example. Seeing how aneimic the Florida, Leafs, Isles offenses are - I can't imagine he's not in the NHL playing

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:24 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Lets not forget that he's Lance Berkman of hockey. He just can't string 2 good seasons together. Prospal did put up 2 stinkers whilst playing for Torts (01/02 and 06/07 seasons). He's probably due for a drop off next season.
His first "stinker" of a season, he notched 55 points and was second in scoring on an inept Tampa team. That season Lecavalier had 37 points in 76 games after recording after recording 118 points in 148 games the two previous seasons. Vinny likely suffered from poor seasons from the players around him more than he himself struggling.

Even in 06-07, he posted 55 points. That's a bit low for him but far from terrible. I think the every other season thing with Vinny is simply coincidental or purely an aberration. Either way, I'd pay him $2MM or so to put up 55 points next season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
What I simply can't believe is that a player of his caliber was whisker away in playing in the KHL and that only his Godfather link saved him.

Now doesn't that tell you a lot about the quality (or lack of it) amongst the NHL GM's

Frankly I don't think Vinny is the exception either. richard Zednik for example. Seeing how aneimic the Florida, Leafs, Isles offenses are - I can't imagine he's not in the NHL playing
Zednik is good for what, 30-35 points at this stage of his career? I think the Islanders, Leafs and Panthers of the world would be better served letting a kid trip his way into 30 points than paying a 34 year old Zednik.

I do agree though that's it's crazy to think there was such little interest (seemingly) in Vinny Prospal. The guy is a legitimate NHL winger.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Prospal signing is starting to look like genius.

He is very smart with the puck, especially in the offensive zone. For some reason he brings to mind Steve Larmer, also very smart with the puck.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
His first "stinker" of a season, he notched 55 points and was second in scoring on an inept Tampa team. That season Lecavalier had 37 points in 76 games after recording after recording 118 points in 148 games the two previous seasons. Vinny likely suffered from poor seasons from the players around him more than he himself struggling.

Even in 06-07, he posted 55 points. That's a bit low for him but far from terrible. I think the every other season thing with Vinny is simply coincidental or purely an aberration. Either way, I'd pay him $2MM or so to put up 55 points next season...
Clearly like so many (Comrie springs to mind immediately) Prospal priced himself out of the league. I saw him last year in Prague and he was the best player of TB.
But knowing TB was picking up the tab you would think other GMs would jump on him.
It is a good deal for us regardless how many points he will score. He is all heart and smarts

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:58 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

prospal has been a brilliant signing so far. hes simply been one of the best players on the ice every night so far this season.

that said, he needs to be moved off that first line and center the second line asap.

our lack of scoring balance will start to hurt us soon. that 2nd line is more like a 3rd line. we cannot afford those guys to have zero goals every night much longer. keep i mind, the 2nd line has scored exactly 2 even strength goals in 6 games. thats um........ not good.

they lack a playmaker and puck distributor and that what prospal is.

he needs to center the 2nd line. period.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote