HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Espn Sucks!!!

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2004, 01:27 AM
Randall Graves*

vCash: 500
Espn Sucks!!!

ESPN is total bull****, they show this "Yankees on trial" garbage while the NHL playoffs are underway in Tampa,Toronto, and Phiilly. Will everyone here please flood ESPN with e-mails or flood John Buccigross with complaints....for us "Center Ice" impaired ESPN is our only hope for playoff hockey coverage. ESPN has every Avs/ WIngs game scheduled meanwhile they totally ignore other series.

ESPN SUCKS!!!!! :mad:

Old
04-09-2004, 01:29 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
ESPN is total bull****, they show this "Yankees on trial" garbage while the NHL playoffs are underway in Tampa,Toronto, and Phiilly. Will everyone here please flood ESPN with e-mails or flood John Buccigross with complaints....for us "Center Ice" impaired ESPN is our only hope for playoff hockey coverage. ESPN has every Avs/ WIngs game scheduled meanwhile they totally ignore other series.

Maybe thats because noone wants to watch the other series? its all about ratings, not appeasing hockey fans.

Old
04-09-2004, 01:54 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:

I agree. No doubt the Nhl has viewership problems but ESPN has a certain responsibility to the NHL and it's fans. If you can't draw ratings with the NHL then don't air the games but don't promote yourself as showing playoff hockey when you choose to air fictional programming while three playoff games are taking place, two of which are huge rivalry series.

I don't buy the ratings excuse either. Detroit and Colorado aren't the only teams that have fans who will tune into hockey. The Nj/ Philly match up pits a stanley cup champion against a huge market in a fierce rivalry and it would have no problem in the ratings department. ESPN doesn't really know what the ratings would do because they give horrible regular season match ups through the year and shove Detroit and Colorado down the viewers throat.

At least Nhl.com gives the option of listening to other games via radio feed.

Old
04-09-2004, 07:46 AM
Troy McClure

Complain all you want, but the sad fact is that Yankees on trial probably got double the ratings of any NHL game they would have shown. I wish we could get more hockey, but don't blame ESPN for making money.

Old
04-09-2004, 08:02 AM
SENSational

Heh

Good thing I live in Canada

We get all the series, the only game we didnt get is the TB vs. NY and thats because the Flyers and Devils game was on

Old
04-09-2004, 08:24 AM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Actually, the Yankees on Trial program was very interesting. I ended up watching it before the Flyers game started, and during commercial breaks.

The jury voted 10-2 that what the Yankees are doing by so much more than anyone else is not wrong. It was a great victory for the competitive aspects of sports, and a huge slam against the idea of salary caps.

Old
04-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Dr Love

More people care about/hate the Yankees than care about hockey. Just because you like hockey more doesn't mean that the rest of the nation does. ESPN is a business, it's job is to make money. It's job is not to cater to the smaller rating to satisfy the minority.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
just buy the center ice package you get to see every game. thats what I do

Old
04-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshaf
just buy the center ice package you get to see every game. thats what I do
Center Ice = God Send, thank god I don't have to always listen to the talking heads at ESPNBABC all the time, I can switch it over to CBC/TSN

Old
04-09-2004, 11:10 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
Maybe thats because noone wants to watch the other series? its all about ratings, not appeasing hockey fans.
The ratings are down because the same 6 teams are on whenever ESPN decides they want to show a hockey game. If like San Jose and Vancouver were in the finals I bet it would be a great success. The only people who want to see Detroit and Colorado are people in Detroit and Colorado and the game is most likely blacked out except for the conference finals, and the worst thing for the league will be Detroit and Colorado in the Western Conference Finals. I don't think Finals last year would have been one of the most watched ever if Detroit or Colorado were in it. The reason I got Center Ice was because I don't want to see Detroit and Colorado. Although in 3 years the Avs will be one of the worst teams in the league.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The ratings are down because the same 6 teams are on whenever ESPN decides they want to show a hockey game. If like San Jose and Vancouver were in the finals I bet it would be a great success.
I doubt it would be. Americans don't care about Vancouver, and don't care enough about San Jose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ
The only people who want to see Detroit and Colorado are people in Detroit and Colorado
People all over will watch Detroit and Colorado. Certainly more than would watch San Jose and Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ
and the worst thing for the league will be Detroit and Colorado in the Western Conference Finals. I don't think Finals last year would have been one of the most watched ever if Detroit or Colorado were in it. The reason I got Center Ice was because I don't want to see Detroit and Colorado. Although in 3 years the Avs will be one of the worst teams in the league.
Couldn't disagree more. From a ratings standpoint, Detroit or Colorado would be the *best* thing. The ratings for the Finals last year were meager except for game 7. Aside from that, the ratings were down 30% last year. A year when the top markets were out by the second round.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Higgy4

I feel the pain of those who rely on ESPN for their hockey fix. But the truth be told, the "Yankees On Trial" special probably got double the ratings that the Bolts/Isles game would have.

You can piss and moan all you want, but ESPN has to run a business. And the Yankees special probably got them pretty good ratings.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure
Complain all you want, but the sad fact is that Yankees on trial probably got double the ratings of any NHL game they would have shown. I wish we could get more hockey, but don't blame ESPN for making money.
Whooops, I guess I should have read further down the thread before my last post.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The ratings are down because the same 6 teams are on whenever ESPN decides they want to show a hockey game. If like San Jose and Vancouver were in the finals I bet it would be a great success. The only people who want to see Detroit and Colorado are people in Detroit and Colorado and the game is most likely blacked out except for the conference finals, and the worst thing for the league will be Detroit and Colorado in the Western Conference Finals. I don't think Finals last year would have been one of the most watched ever if Detroit or Colorado were in it. The reason I got Center Ice was because I don't want to see Detroit and Colorado. Although in 3 years the Avs will be one of the worst teams in the league.

This is wrong. Do you realize how many Wings fans there are across the country? The Wings are probably the most popular NHL team in the league right now. I think it sucks too, because I am tired of hearing everyone complain about how much attention they get. I wish they werent getting all this attention too.

ESPN will ALWAYS have bad hockey ratings. Always. But showing the Wings, Avs, Stars, Flyers, Rangers, etc, etc, still give them their best chance at decent ratings. Sure, us hockey lovers can argue till we are blue in the face that the Canucks/Flames or Leafs/Sens are probably more exciting series than the Wings/Preds. But ESPN is trying to reach the most AMERICAN viewers that they can. I am not saying the Wings deserve to be on ESPN all the time. I actually agree with alot of you. I think it sucks that they are on all the time. Sadly though, those main teams give ESPN the best opportunity for good ratings.

To say that the only people who care about Detroit and Colorado are the people in those cities is 100% wrong. Both those teams have a large following across the country. Thats the demographic that ESPN HAS to target. I hate it too, just like the rest of you. But your logic just isnt right, either. No offense.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Higgy4

Bottom line is that NHL hockey will never have good ratings in the U.S. Sadly we all have to accept that fact. But the "popular" teams will get the nod as far as TV. In a few years, the flavors of the week will probably change. Hell, who knows...maybe in 5 years we will all be saying how sick and tired we are of seeing the Bolts on TV all the time?

It goes in cycles. ESPN was all about Pittsburgh for most of the 90's. Colorado, Detroit and teams like that may have some down time coming soon, so the bandwagon fools will fall off and break their ankles. They will jump on the next wagon to come along, and THOSE particular teams will become the new ESPN poster boys.

But its senseless to argue over it. ESPN does whats best for ESPN. They dont owe us anything.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Bottom line is that NHL hockey will never have good ratings in the U.S. Sadly we all have to accept that fact. But the "popular" teams will get the nod as far as TV. In a few years, the flavors of the week will probably change. Hell, who knows...maybe in 5 years we will all be saying how sick and tired we are of seeing the Bolts on TV all the time?

It goes in cycles. ESPN was all about Pittsburgh for most of the 90's. Colorado, Detroit and teams like that may have some down time coming soon, so the bandwagon fools will fall off and break their ankles. They will jump on the next wagon to come along, and THOSE particular teams will become the new ESPN poster boys.

But its senseless to argue over it. ESPN does whats best for ESPN. They dont owe us anything.
Tampa may be the next big bandwagon team in the East...I love the way they play the game though, and Marty St. Louis...heh

Old
04-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

It's a good time of year to be Canadian. The snows are melting and the playoffs are kicking into high gear. Haven't missed a game yet!

Old
04-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Oceanic39*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve

The jury voted 10-2 that what the Yankees are doing by so much more than anyone else is not wrong. It was a great victory for the competitive aspects of sports, and a huge slam against the idea of salary caps.
(I'm going to get off-topic)

What a surprise.

ESPN had a chance there to get some of the small market fans on board the ESPN bandwagon--the same fans that have been forced to watch Yankees and/or Red Sox games and almost nothing else (unless Bonds is about to break a record), and they took the easy way out.

Funny how in ESPN the Mag there was only a small, 1/2 page article on how everyone has been forced to take a completely different approach - almost a college sports approach - to building teams since they can't compete with the big two. Heck, you still have to add three Devil Rays rosters to the Red Sox to meet the Yankees payroll. ESPN is scared to death of displeasing the NYY audience. That is a HUGE story. The enitre game and how it's approached from an executive level has drastically changed.

ESP-NY in no way, shape, or form will harm their image to the Yankees or Yankee fans. You can't run a show like that and slam the Yankees, then continue to crawl in bed with them.

Am I a Yankee hater? Sure, by default. I like the Blue Jays and Devil Rays and recently moved into Royals country. I hate the fact the Blue Jays or Devil Rays or Orioles will likely never make the playoffs.

What I hate even more is the fact that all but two teams compete for the chance at a major upset (ARZ, FLA), and there will never be a case like you saw in the 80's when all 6 American League East teams took turns winning the division. Baseball sucks now because of George and his cable deal. Both his YES Network and his ESPN one, too.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic39
ESPN had a chance there to get some of the small market fans on board the ESPN bandwagon--the same fans that have been forced to watch Yankees and/or Red Sox games and almost nothing else (unless Bonds is about to break a record), and they took the easy way out.
They didn't take the easy way out. They took the way that would get them more ratings. ESPN is a business, not a charity. I wish people would stop thinking that ESPN is somehow obliged to show small markets hockey games instead of programming that brings in more viewers. The average viewer just doesn't care. And we are not the average viewer.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:38 PM
gnardini1998

Send a message via AIM to gnardini1998
Quote:

I agree but HOW DO YOU GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM?????

When they cut back to showing less hockey and not having NHL2nite on every day I tried to get in touch but all I got was a place to take surveys.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Takeo

Quote:

Life doesn't revolve around hockey in the States. Few care or prefer numerous alternative options. I agree that it sucks that Wings and related garbage gets shoved down our throats but in terms of limited hockey broadcasts in general, don't complain. It's the nature of the mega-conglomerate profit-mongering beast.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:41 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
They didn't take the easy way out. They took the way that would get them more ratings. ESPN is a business, not a charity. I wish people would stop thinking that ESPN is somehow obliged to show small markets hockey games instead of programming that brings in more viewers. The average viewer just doesn't care. And we are not the average viewer.
I think O39 realizes that, actually:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic39
ESP-NY in no way, shape, or form will harm their image to the Yankees or Yankee fans. You can't run a show like that and slam the Yankees, then continue to crawl in bed with them.
"ESP-NY", nice one! :lol

And yes, you guys are WAY off-topic! We do have the Other Sports Forum, not sure if baseball gets discussed much there though, looks like a lot of soccer talk.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:45 PM
gnardini1998

Send a message via AIM to gnardini1998
would do because they give horrible regular season match ups through the year and shove Detroit and Colorado down the viewers throat.
QUOTE]

I'm a Wings fan but agree with you. On a national network they should be showing a better variety of teams.
What I hate is that they insist on showing every Wings vs Avs game and make way too much about the rivalry. If they wanted to show a good rivalry it would be the Blues and Wings since that is about hockey not foolishness.

Old
04-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love

Old
04-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnardini1998
I agree but HOW DO YOU GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM?????

When they cut back to showing less hockey and not having NHL2nite on every day I tried to get in touch but all I got was a place to take surveys.

Save your breath. Your voice will not matter. ESPN had 2 choices. Run a special about the ever so popular New York Yankees. Or the Isles/Bolts 1st round playoff game. OBVIOUSLY, the Yankee special will bring in tons more viewers than the hockey game. Thus...ESPN ran the Yankee special.

Once and for all...ESPN is running a business. A business to make money. They made the right choice for the average viewer by running the Yankee special.

Get over it and buy Center Ice.

Closed Thread