HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Something wrong with Josh Bailey?

Old
10-13-2009, 10:37 PM
periferal

vCash: 500

Yes -I know it's only 4 games, but does anyone else pickup something from Josh Bailey that suggests something is wrong with him? I feel like he's taken a step backwards from where he left off last season. I hope that having him joing the team so young didn't affect his development.

I hope I'm wrong, but something seems off about his play and I can't put my finger on it.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:44 PM
hlundqvist30*

I might be in the minority but I think it was an absolutely horrendous idea to have him play the full season in the NHL last year. He was obviously not ready. and nothing good could have possibly come out of it. I'm all for giving the youth a chance to succeed, and we all know the Islanders need the youth to get opportunities, but if you're just going to hand the jobs to them without even demanding NHL caliber play then what motivation are you giving them? To compare, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Mike Del Zotto is not playing nearly as well as he has been if the Rangers just gave him the spot.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:48 PM
cohenzee

I was one of the people saying he should not have been on the team the whole season last year. i didn't really want him to get any games at all but was ok with a nine game taste.

While he did show some decent flashes last season, overall it was at best a fair year. Nothing towards the end of the season made me think he was getting better, just staying the same.

cohenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:49 PM
kpap57

i think it may have to do with linemates.

Last season he played most of his time with KO. KO has the ability to make his players around him better. But yeah he doesnt really seem to have that poise he had last season. Him and comeau seemed to have cemestry during the preseason. So it may have to do with his line mates but right now. I would like to see baily sent to the bridge when nielson comes back no point in burying baily on the 4th line. Let him play out the year with 1st line minutes down their, get his confidence up and bring him back next season.

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:17 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

sophmore slump?

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:30 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
He's young, and young players tend to go through both hot streaks and cold streaks. If he is still playing like this 15-20 games into the season I will start becoming concerned, and than maybe he should be sent down to the A

WangMustGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Renbarg

I think most of his play has progressed. Defensive zone responsibilities certainly has. He has come a long way from the one dimensional player he was at the beginning of last year (and some towards the end).

Points are points. They are almost useless in a small time frame, because they only tell the story (and only half of that) of almost random (the better the player the less random) isolated moments. Eventually they come together to form a pattern but four games will tell you nothing.

His offensive game has looked essentially the same from last year save less pp time and less opportunity to play with skilled players (read as not Jon Sim and Richard Park).

One thing has stood out though. So far he has had 3 or 4 pretty putrid giveaways and one completely blown odd man rush. Sounds like a man who is in a bit of an offensive rut.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

there's little point to keeping him up here if he's only getting 3rd line minutes with Jon Sim & Sean Bergenheim as his wings.

no offense to Moulsen, but he is not a top 6 player despite a solid 4 games. Bailey or Weight center the first line (with JT on LW & the other centerman on the 2nd unit)

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:37 AM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
there's little point to keeping him up here if he's only getting 3rd line minutes with Jon Sim & Sean Bergenheim as his wings.
I disagree. Let him learn defensive responsibility. It will only help him in his development. The points can come later.

I don't have a problem with him learning at this level. I think he can do it.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:50 AM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
I disagree. Let him learn defensive responsibility. It will only help him in his development. The points can come later.

exactly. let him prove why he should be on the 1st line, as well. he doesn't deserve to be right now. it's not like he's setting up his linemates and they're not finishing.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Hockify

Quote:
His line? No offense to anyone but he isn't playing with top NHL wingers. He is just learning a different part of his game now, he will be a better player because of it.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:22 AM
Forty Six and Two

Or, knowing this team, his has some sort of undisclosed injury.

Forty Six and Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Lek

Send a message via AIM to Lek
Bailey will be fine. He looks as if he has worked hard on his defensive game/responsibility. He does not seem to be taking himself out of plays as he did a bit last year on offensive rushes. The whole package will take some time.

With that said, while I strongly endorsed his play up last year, a little time down, if in a prolonged offensive rut, would not be time poorly spent either. He is very young and at least a good year or two from being a complete player.

I do think his line mates are not quite offensively complimentary at this point as Bailey is not yet to a point where he is going to make his line mates better. He will need another to help create. I would put Shremp on his line as I think it would be an interesting paring and as a third line, they might get some favorable pairings on the ice.

Lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 06:59 AM
BJo

Hip injury

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Top Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Yes -I know it's only 4 games, but does anyone else pickup something from Josh Bailey that suggests something is wrong with him? I feel like he's taken a step backwards from where he left off last season. I hope that having him joing the team so young didn't affect his development.

I hope I'm wrong, but something seems off about his play and I can't put my finger on it.
I've said all along, there was no reason,absolutely no reason to have him here last year. My take is that the Isles are limited in talent and not being with elite players will hinder your confidence if you are not finding the net.

He's not even creative anymore. Bottom line is and I'm not sure if he's allowed but Bridgeport or Junior to re-discover himself as an offensive player.

Again, people praise Snow here but there is no competent NHL exec that would have had him on a team that was destined to be a loser last year.

Top Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:01 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
Hip injury
Hip injuries are so last year...I'm thinking groin....

Old
10-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBatesSBergenheim View Post
Hip injuries are so last year...I'm thinking groin....
You are both wrong.

His hip pulled it's groin.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:10 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Whatever the case... we're committed to him on Long Island. I don't buy the send 'em to Bridgeport stuff. Tambellini is the ****ing Wayne Gretzky of the AHL- but struggles to crack our putrid line-up. I don't want Bailey becoming the latest member of the Cross Sound Ferry frequent passenger club with no noticeable improvement in his game at the NHL level.

By all accounts Bailey is a good kid with good character that's been given a lot to handle early on his career. Unlike the Milbury- Tim Connolly debacle though- I think in this case it was truly a case of the staff thinking he was up to the challenge rather than just a... "I don't know... maybe it will work" type thing.

He MUST clean-up the turnovers... and I think he will and can... Meanwhile- I think the offense will return once Hunter comes back and after he develops some chemistry with perhaps a guy like Schremp.

PATIENCE

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:39 PM
BOSSY1126

having him up last year has nothing to do with his play this year guy's he's had all summer and training camp to get ready for this year that excuse is not relavant maybe an undisclosed injury or perhaps just needs more time he's young so be PATIENT

BOSSY1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

Well, it'd be nice to rule out his being rushed into the NHL, but we don't have that luxury. Maybe he just has to figure out his game with the added muscle? He's had solid linemates thus far for a second line center and shown nothing solid. He's looked a bit reticent. We have to keep him up or he has to go down for confitioning but either way, his confidence may take a hit. Juniors last year would have prevented this contingency.

I hope we remain patient with DeHaan and others from now on.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
isleskovalchuk

Listen I know he has not looked good at all, but it has only been 4 games. If this is still going in another 10 games, we can start to worry. Its not like hes in mid season form on a good team. I am also not a big bailey fan either.

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:28 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner View Post
I've said all along, there was no reason,absolutely no reason to have him here last year.
Again, people praise Snow here but there is no competent NHL exec that would have had him on a team that was destined to be a loser last year.
For the record, I wanted him sent down as well. Hard to say if that was best. I've seen two Tampa games this year and Stamkos is playing incredibly. He's been as good as Vinny/Marty so far and really leading that team. I heard Scotty Bowman talking about that on the FAN as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
I think most of his play has progressed. Defensive zone responsibilities certainly has. He has come a long way from the one dimensional player he was at the beginning of last year (and some towards the end).

Points are points. They are almost useless in a small time frame, because they only tell the story (and only half of that) of almost random (the better the player the less random) isolated moments. Eventually they come together to form a pattern but four games will tell you nothing.

His offensive game has looked essentially the same from last year save less pp time and less opportunity to play with skilled players (read as not Jon Sim and Richard Park).
izzo/ps: completely agree with the points you make. Bailey looks like a much better player than what I saw last year. Last year, I saw flashes of creativity on the PP, some great vision and slick passes - but very sporadic. He also was over-matched both physically and in situational play in his own zone last year.

This year, he appears more confident along the wall and without the puck.

I believe the points will come, he's too talented for him not to score points. Of course, his linemates and the amount of PP minutes impact the goals-assists greatly, but please let's not confuse offensive numbers with his overall development and impact.

One thing has stood out though. So far he has had 3 or 4 pretty putrid giveaways and one completely blown odd man rush. Sounds like a man who is in a bit of an offensive rut.

Last edited by redbull: 10-14-2009 at 02:34 PM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:40 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
For the record, I wanted him sent down as well. Hard to say if that was best. I've seen two Tampa games this year and Stamkos is playing incredibly. He's been as good as Vinny/Marty so far and really leading that team. I heard Scotty Bowman talking about that on the FAN as well.
Stamkos and Tavares are elite prospects, not late first rounders taken early and projected as second liners. We have a smart player with great character and work ethic here and we may have flubbed it. What Stamkos does or Tavares or DelZotto or whoever does matters nothing. Bailey may have needed to mature mentally for this gig more than we allowed him to.

If he were playing solid, we wouldn't be discussing it and would be thrilled he made the LEAP as we call it - to convey the giant step it really is hopefully better to those "he's done all he could" crowd posters.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:45 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleskovalchuk View Post
Listen I know he has not looked good at all, but it has only been 4 games. If this is still going in another 10 games, we can start to worry. Its not like hes in mid season form on a good team. I am also not a big bailey fan either.
That pretty much sums it up. Yes, it's been 4 games. But two attributes about his game seem worse. He seems to be slower this year. Also, and more importantly, his passes aren't as crisp this year. Bailey is the type of player who is shaping up to be an assist man more so than a goal scorer. If his passing skills aren't there, he isn't contributing much. When Nielsen comes back, and Bailey is still struggling, I don't think it'd be a terrible idea to send Bailey down to bridgeport. Right now he's doing so little he's hurting the team. But once again, it's only been 4 games.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:59 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
I might be in the minority but I think it was an absolutely horrendous idea to have him play the full season in the NHL last year. He was obviously not ready. and nothing good could have possibly come out of it. I'm all for giving the youth a chance to succeed, and we all know the Islanders need the youth to get opportunities, but if you're just going to hand the jobs to them without even demanding NHL caliber play then what motivation are you giving them? To compare, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Mike Del Zotto is not playing nearly as well as he has been if the Rangers just gave him the spot.
Last season Bailey did decent and didnt look out of place. I wasnt happy they started him off here, but it worked out.

This year it seems the main issue Im noticing is his lack of shooting. It took half a season to get that aspect going last year and right now it seems like he's exactly where he was last October. I know this isnt going to be the sole purpose of his role, but if other teams know he wont shoot (regardless if he's open or not) then his play making skills will be that much less affective.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote