HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New Third Line: Johnson gets a promotion

Old
10-14-2009, 01:44 PM
medgett

vCash: 500
The New Third Line: Johnson gets a promotion

According to the Team 1040, the lines at practice are as follows:

Burrows - Sedin - Grabner
Raymond - Kesler - Samuelsson
Johnson - Wellwood - Bernier
Glass - Rypien - Hordichuk

Myself, as well as others, have been very vocal about the poor play of Ryan Johnson. His ineffectiveness on the Penalty kill, the fourth line being hemmed in its zone most nights of which he is partially accountable, and his lack of performance in the faceoff circle. I hope this works out and he is more effective on the wing, but I still cannot see what this guy provides on the ice. I know he's good in the room and he is well liked by his teammates, but he is getting paid $1.1 million to play hockey and in terms of being a hockey player, he hasn't been good enough for over a year now.

On the plus side, this is the 4th line that I wanted to see out of camp and I think this provides more grit and physicality on the forecheck. Between Glass and Hordichuk, there is good size and decent speed to get in hard on the opposition's defenceman while Rypien provides better puck control and better skating ability from the center ice spot than Johnson currently does.

medgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Dado

vCash:
I'm having trouble seeing how Rypien - a bowling ball on skates - can function as a centre. Seems his playing style would pretty much guarantee he'll be out of position on a regular basis.

Old
10-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Lard_Lad

Well, at least Bernier's back with Wellwood and Grabner's going to get a real chance to prove himself. But if that fourth line gets stuck in our end, it's going to be ugly.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:49 PM
LostMyGlasses*

I see we as Canuck fans have high expectations of our fourth line centers.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:51 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Johnson is an offensive black hole. Too bad for Welly and Bernier.

settinguptheplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:51 PM
cc

I'd rather see Samuellson with Sedin and Grabner with Kesler. That would be one heck of a fast line

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Be interesting to see how Johnson does without two complete plugs on his wings. Wellwood too, for that matter.(Glass and Desbiens...just seems like punishment)

And nice to see Grabner get a legitimate shot from AV. Put the offensive player in an offensive role to succeed.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:02 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
I see we as Canuck fans have high expectations of our fourth line centers.
but seem to ignore their absolutely useless wingers.

Johnson needs to get in a fight once every 10-20 games, then his crappy play is excusable like Rypien and Hordichuk.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis65 View Post
Unlike Glass?

Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:06 PM
medgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I'm having trouble seeing how Rypien - a bowling ball on skates - can function as a centre. Seems his playing style would pretty much guarantee he'll be out of position on a regular basis.
I like how, because he fights, Rypien is seen as a no talent grinder. He actually is a natural center and I would say his skating style actually suits the position better than the wing. Skating on the wing is very much less fluid and depends on stopping and starting quickly and a lot of work on the boards. Playing center requires a skater to cover a lot more ice. If you take the time to actually analyze his skating ability, as opposed to stereotyping based on the role he is asked to play, you'll see that Rypien is a fluid skater with good speed. He is strong on his skates, unlike Johnson, and this allows him to be much more effective in his own zone.

Johnson's positional lapses are more often exposed in the PK. These are ES lines we're talking about so I would say that the PK stays the same regardless. At even strength the issue I have with Johnson's positioning is that he often plays too far off his check which a) allows the opposition to maintain possession easily, b) allows the puckhandler to turn freely and survey the offensive zone, and c) puts more pressure on the other defenders to eliminate passing lanes. As for c) it is like a defense in football, you have to depend on the secondary to cover receivers for a certain amount of time, but if you don't pressure the QB, someone will eventually come open and you might get burned. I don't see this issue with Rypien. His defensive play when playing center, as he was for much of the preseason, was quite reliable and he showed an ability to play his man hard in the defensive zone and create opportunities to gain possession.

Old
10-14-2009, 02:09 PM
19nazzy

That forward core is horrendous. We need some magical healing beans.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
I still maintain Johnson is the most over-paid guy on this team. He'd be alright if he was, as advertised; a high-end shutdown 4th line centre. But he pretty much sucks so badly in his supposed 'role' we have to move him to the wing.

It's only a matter of time before Bliznak or Bolduc is given a shot at that 4th line centre spot. We need a defensive stalwart down there.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Kid_Roll

It's just like Lee Goren, it's just like Byron Ritchie, it's just like Brad Moran

*shakes back and forth*

Ah man, brutal. You just knew we were asking for it, bragging about our depth this year. The hockey gods, they don't like Vancouver bragging, so away went differing body parts from our players.

Ugh, Johnson on the 3rd line. I guess technically he can't do any worse than he did on the 4th?

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:13 PM
VanCity Millionaires

vCash: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
That forward core is horrendous. We need some magical healing beans.
Hear, hear!

VanCity Millionaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:13 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Johnson needs to get in a fight once every 10-20 games, then his crappy play is excusable like Rypien and Hordichuk.
Or he could make the same amount Rypien and Hordichuk do, that would also help.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:16 PM
NuxFan09

Oh my, Johnson on the 3rd line. This should be interesting to say the least.

I know Grabner's speed would make him a more perfect fit on the Raymond-Kesler line but at the same time I think the kid will benefit immensely from Henrik's creative playmaking. If Grabner can gain a bit of confidence then I think we'll see him go into the dirty areas more often and get into position to receive Hank's passes.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis65 View Post
I disagree, Johnson has showed flashes of offensive ability but has been stifled playing with plugs on the 4th line. He has a lot more speed than given credit for and shows good poise with the puck on his stick. I'm a big Rypien fan but he belongs on the 4th line.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
medgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
but seem to ignore their absolutely useless wingers.

I'll agree that Rypien hasn't had a strong start, but he was effective in his limited regular season play last year as well as playoffs. Also, he make 550k. That helps it be excusable. As for Hordichuk, you will have a hard time here arguing that he has been "crappy" so far this year. He wasn't very good in games 1 and 2, including missing opportunities to stand up for his teammates, (namely game 1 against CGY). Since then, he has been an effective grinder who has delivered solid hits, showed good strength on the puck down low, and has displayed more offensive ability than Johnson over their year plus tenures here as sad as that is. By the way, Rypien has scored more in his 12 regular season games last year than Johnson has in his 67 regular season games with the Canucks over the past two seasons.

Old
10-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by medgett View Post
...you'll see that Rypien is a fluid skater with good speed.
It's not a question of his skating ability, it's a question of his decision-making ability. Nobody is a "fluid skater" when they're banged up against a wall.

I'm open to being convinced this will work, but that'll have to happen on the ice, not on a chat board.

Old
10-14-2009, 02:20 PM
medgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I disagree, Johnson has showed flashes of offensive ability but has been stifled playing with plugs on the 4th line. He has a lot more speed than given credit for and shows good poise with the puck on his stick. I'm a big Rypien fan but he belongs on the 4th line.
Lol, Both of these "plugs" scored more than he did last year, one of whom played in 12 games.

Old
10-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Worse news: Salo's replacement on the point on the #1 PP unit is...Mikael Samuelsson. Edler and Ehrhoff are still on the 2nd unit.

Edit - When Sedin and Hansen are back this is what I want to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Samuellson
Shirokov/Grabner-Wellwood-Bernier
Hordichuk-Rypien-Hansen

Ex: Johnson, Glass.

Seriously.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Worse news: Salo's replacement on the point on the #1 PP unit is...Mikael Samuelsson. Edler and Ehrhoff are still on the 2nd unit.

Edit - When Sedin and Hansen are back this is what I want to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Samuellson
Shirokov/Grabner-Wellwood-Bernier
Hordichuk-Rypien-Hansen

Ex: Hordichuk, Glass.

Seriously.

I take the blame for this one, guys. I said at the begining of the year to my friend "Finally we won't have to see a forward playing the point on our PP!"

Sorry. :/

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:25 PM
medgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
It's not a question of his skating ability, it's a question of his decision-making ability. Nobody is a "fluid skater" when they're banged up against a wall.

I'm open to being convinced this will work, but that'll have to happen on the ice, not on a chat board.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, you're saying that his fighting will make him an ineffective centerman?

Old
10-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Ernie

I'm not surprised in the least.

Basically, the Canucks are a 3 line team right now. Instead of both the 3rd and 4th lines being dominated on the ice, now just the 4th line will. Nobody on that 3rd line is likely to play more than 5 mins of ice time (Rypien perhaps if he plays the PK).

As for Johnson, the team doesn't have a choice except to play him. He may not have been very good to start the season, but the Canucks need him to get better, and I expect him to do so. Playing with some decent linemates isn't a bad place to start.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Worse news: Salo's replacement on the point on the #1 PP unit is...Mikael Samuelsson.
Yeah, it was horrible when he played the point all last season for... the Detroit Red Wings.

He can pass, he can shoot, I don't see what you're whining about.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote