HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikkel Boedker to AHL

Old
10-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Bandit34

vCash: 500
Mikkel Boedker to AHL

GLENDALE, ARIZONA --- Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney announced today that the Coyotes have assigned forward Mikkel Boedker to their American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the San Antonio Rampage.

Boedker, 19, appeared in five games for the Coyotes this season. The 5-foot-11, 200-pound forward recorded 11-17-28 and 18 penalty minutes (PIM) in 78 games with Phoenix during the 2008-09 season. As a rookie, Boedker ranked 9th on the team overall in scoring while leading all Coyotes rookies in goals, assists, points, games played, shots (116) , average time on ice (15:32) and T-2nd among all NHL rookies in game-winning goals (3).

Boedker has appeared in 83 career NHL games, recording 11-17-28 and 18 PIM. He was named the OHL’s Western Conference Best Skater while appearing in 62 games for the Kitchener Rangers (OHL) during the 2007-08 season, recording 29-44-73 and 14 PIM.

Boedker was Phoenix’s 1st choice (1st round, 8th overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Release is from: http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|PHX|home

Bandit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:18 PM
yakko

I suppose Pyatt must be ready. I am a little surprised this is how they make ice time for him, but I probably shouldn't be considering how Boedker has been used the last couple of games. I hope Boedker is okay with it and benefits from it, because I'm not sure he deserves it.

The Rampage ought to be awfully good now.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:19 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
Oh no! Could this mean that the only reason why MB got any playing time in the NHL is because of Prytt not being able to play?
Posted via Mobile Device

EDIT look like my question was answers before it was posted. I wonder if this opens up the chance for Porter to be called up anytime soon as well?

gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:21 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Oh no! Could this mean that the only reason why MB got any playing time in the NHL is because of Prytt not being able to play?
I'm more guessing Boedker, Winnik and Korpikoski were being given a chance to audition for two roster spots.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:24 PM
PhoPhan

How is Boedker eligible for the AHL?

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:25 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

I think this was a good move. I'm as big of a mark for Boedker as anyone but he hasn't taken a step forward in his development yet and needs to get more minutes at this point in his career. I have to start watching the San Antonio games online. They have a really good squad.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:28 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
He turns 20 before December 31st, so for these purposes, he's considered a 20-year old for this season.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Wow, I just don't know how I feel about this at all. On one hand he wasn't really being used at all but on the other hand, I don't like that he wasn't being used. Like many others, I still have no idea why the line of Upshall - Lombardi - Boedker was never given a shot. I suppose it could be good for his development but man, I just don't know about this one. Could that whole "Tippet doesn't like young players" thing be true?

One thing is for certain, while he's in the AHL I really hope they work on him shooting!!! Last year he was under 1.5 shots per game and this year he only had 2 shots in 5 games, albeit with limited ice time. This team desperately needs a goal scorer and those guys shoot like their life depends on it!

One last note...this seriously makes me want to take a trip to San Antonio to watch a couple of Rampage games. Man that team should be fun as hell to watch!!!!!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:46 PM
RampageNate
HFB Partner

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Holy balls, this team is stacked.

If anyone makes it to SA, let me know. I'll have a ticket waiting for you at the box office.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:49 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Nickel View Post

If anyone makes it to SA, let me know. I'll have a ticket waiting for you at the box office.
It's killing me. I see a three game series next weekend and I can't fly down because I bought my girlfriend tickets to the ballet. Man, did I not think that through....

Old
10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Wow, I just don't know how I feel about this at all. On one hand he wasn't really being used at all but on the other hand, I don't like that he wasn't being used. Like many others, I still have no idea why the line of Upshall - Lombardi - Boedker was never given a shot. I suppose it could be good for his development but man, I just don't know about this one. Could that whole "Tippet doesn't like young players" thing be true?

One thing is for certain, while he's in the AHL I really hope they work on him shooting!!! Last year he was under 1.5 shots per game and this year he only had 2 shots in 5 games, albeit with limited ice time. This team desperately needs a goal scorer and those guys shoot like their life depends on it!

One last note...this seriously makes me want to take a trip to San Antonio to watch a couple of Rampage games. Man that team should be fun as hell to watch!!!!!
I don't think Tippett is as anti-youth as others would say his.
If tippett was coaching Malkin Crosby or Ovenchin and decided to give them little or no playing time that would be grounds for a public lynching.

My guess is that Tippett wants players that are 100% ready to play in the NHL regardless of age.
Posted via Mobile Device

gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Nickel View Post

No doubt! Man you should be in for a treat!!! I'd love to be a San Antonio resident right now! If there is anyway I could make it there I'd definitely take you up on your offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
I don't think Tippett is as anti-youth as others would say his.
If tippett was coaching Malkin Crosby or Ovenchin and decided to give them little or no playing time that would be grounds for a public lynching.

My guess is that Tippett wants players that are 100% ready to play in the NHL regardless of age.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's probably a fair statement and I can see the case for Boedker being down in the A. I love the idea of him, Turris, Tikhonov and Porter developing together down there. Hopefully they can build some chemistry, camaraderie and establish a culture of winning! In fact the more I think about it, the more I like this idea!

Old
10-14-2009, 08:57 PM
theoriginal55

Just picked up a Yotes schedule at Circle K(ad on rear of schedule) with Bodeker's photo on front.

theoriginal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:58 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Could that whole "Tippet doesn't like young players" thing be true?

!
I don't think Tippet had much part in it really. DM since last seasons deadline has been massively increasing the forward depth for this reason apparently. Porter in the AHL, Turris in the AHL, Tiki, Boedker. It would appear to just be a philosophical change from 2 seasons ago. Instead of riding the crazy train of hot streak cold streak perhaps with the average age increased the consistency will be better game to game. And then of course with Injury comes opportunity for later.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:03 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

I just bought the AHL package where I can stream all of the Rampage's games online.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Jessica
13 year STH

vCash: 381
Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica
I so can not wait for these weekend games coming up.

Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:41 PM
ower

That's depressing and not sure that I fully understand the reasoning. Only complaint I've seen with Boedker is he's not been giving enough ice time. I don't think he'll be down there long.

Last edited by ower: 10-14-2009 at 09:47 PM.
ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Anybody have an answer? Maybe its a conditioning assignment and the PR was a little light on detail?

Edit: Or the fact he didn't play in Major Junior last year but the NHL? Probably a fairly unique situation for a 19 year old who played his 18 year old year in the NHL to be sent to the A.

Last edited by Kaizen: 10-14-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Kaizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
letbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
That's depressing and not sure that I fully understand the reasoning. Only complaint I've seen with Boedker is he's not been giving enough ice time. I don't think he'll be down there long.
Don't understand this move at all. This team needs some scoring punch, NOW. Boedker is fast, can handle the puck well, and could have been a scoring threat, given some ice time and a chance to meld with a decent line.

letbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:03 PM
knich

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I think this was a good move. I'm as big of a mark for Boedker as anyone but he hasn't taken a step forward in his development yet and needs to get more minutes at this point in his career. I have to start watching the San Antonio games online. They have a really good squad.
They were on Directv yesterday and they looked good. Opposing team analysts were gushing about how talented the team is. Turris had an unbelievable goal. I believe they're undefeated. Boedker will look real good on this team.

knich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:06 PM
knich

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I just bought the AHL package where I can stream all of the Rampage's games online.
Is the feed still horrible?

knich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:17 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich View Post
Is the feed still horrible?
It's what I expected. Not a huge fan of the player. Try to fastforward through the intermission and it dies and then goes back to the beginning of the broadcast. Little frustrated and have already sent a note to the AHL looking for their quality control folks to provide some input on how to actually enjoy this experience.

Old
10-14-2009, 10:17 PM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

I don't like this move, but at the same time I understand the reasoning behind it. Boedker has played well when he was out on the ice, but if this is to get him more playing time then I guess it's a good move. Lets face it the Coyotes are still in the rebuilding mode. If we want to be good for many years to come, then the smart decision would be to let our young guys learn how to play with each other in San Antonio. This will allow them to build chemistry with one another and hopefully we can find out who plays well with one another so we can have productive lines. If we can do that then imagine the team we will have in 2-3 years. May very well be worth the wait.

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:00 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by letbob View Post
Don't understand this move at all. This team needs some scoring punch, NOW. Boedker is fast, can handle the puck well, and could have been a scoring threat, given some ice time and a chance to meld with a decent line.
I would agree but so far it doesn't seem like Boedker has developed much offensive instinct here at the NHL level. He just does not shoot and you can't score that way.

Old
10-15-2009, 01:08 AM
hao chi

I think Boedker can be productive in the NHL this year, but I'm glad they sent him down so he can actually get some playing time. Seven minutes a game isn't going to help him, but playing in San Antonio with good minutes will..

Another plus is if he's put on Turris' line, that will help them build chemistry, which will be huge for the Coyotes.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote