HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Mikkel Boedker to AHL

Old
10-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Coyote_Fan

vCash: 500
let him go down and dominate the competition then bring him back up.

Coyote_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:20 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Another angle I've been thinking about is how this might affect young Turris and Tikhonov (I think Porter is old enough to handle all of this). It sends a message of equality to the prospects to a degree. I think Turris was feeling a bit stung after being billed as the second coming and now being sent to the A. At this point I think it's clear to all that the Coyotes are no longer going to rush any of their prospects. It's not just Turris anymore, the other highly doubted picks are down there too. Let them all learn how to be effective in the A and then when they've proven themselves and are ready, they can come to the big club!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 03:43 AM
60DegreesIsCold

I don't really know what more he could've done with his 8 minutes a night. I'd like him to shoot more, but I wouldn't expect it from someone placed in the situations he's been placed in this season.

San Antonio is going to be great. It'll be a good experience for the younger guys to be seriously competing for a championship.

60DegreesIsCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Gwyddbwyll

San Antonio has a LOT of guys who have played in the NHL. Montoya, Tordjman, Schlemko, Turris, Tikhonov, Boedker, Festerling, Hoggan, Bodie, Beleskey, Porter, Perrault, Meyer, Lessard, Hollweg, Heshka..

plus guys like MacLean, Kolarik, Ahnelov, Mitera with serious NHL aspirations.

Sean Sullivan leads the team in scoring though and has won AHL player of the week..

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 05:34 AM
josra33

What will the Coyotes lines look now? Does Vrbata get a chance to move up lines?

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 07:08 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by josra33 View Post
What will the Coyotes lines look now? Does Vrbata get a chance to move up lines?
I don't think they are anxious to break up what has become a pretty successful 3 man unit with Vrbata Hanzal and Prucha. Why mess with chemistry?

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:26 AM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I don't think they are anxious to break up what has become a pretty successful 3 man unit with Vrbata Hanzal and Prucha. Why mess with chemistry?
Didn't they break up that line two games ago?

Doan-Hanzal-Fiddler
Prucha-Lang-Vrbata

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:43 AM
MP

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking this could be good for Boedker, assuming he approaches it as an opportunity to learn without the pressure of the NHL. I'm not a fan of throwing draft picks into the lineup right off and expecting good things to happen, and Boedker is another guy who should have spent last year in SA.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:38 AM
ducky

Mueller is struggling. Boedker, Turris, Tihkonov and Porter have been demoted.

Meanwhile other teams' young guns are getting quality minutes and quality linemates. Other teams have emerging star players.

I hope for the sake of the franchise that this is the right move. The team desperately needs our young guns to be top line players. At least ONE of them (Turris?) has to become a star. The franchise, IMO, depends on it.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouXer4ouR View Post
I don't like this move, but at the same time I understand the reasoning behind it. Boedker has played well when he was out on the ice, but if this is to get him more playing time then I guess it's a good move. Lets face it the Coyotes are still in the rebuilding mode. If we want to be good for many years to come, then the smart decision would be to let our young guys learn how to play with each other in San Antonio. This will allow them to build chemistry with one another and hopefully we can find out who plays well with one another so we can have productive lines. If we can do that then imagine the team we will have in 2-3 years. May very well be worth the wait.
^^^This!

This is going to sound bad, but I hope Boedker is still in SA when they play the Manitoba Moose in Feb 2010! I'd love a chance to see this guy play!

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:02 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
It really sucks to see this but it is the right move. Let him get plenty of playing time even if it is in a lower league. The guy is still really young and needs to continue to learn. Playing with the rest of the guys who are considered the future of the Coyotes will be a huge benefit and may help SA be a better team. Besides, maybe Turris and Boedker can rekindle some of the chemistry they had when playing together early last season. Its tough to see this but it is for the best.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:20 AM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post

Meanwhile other teams' young guns are getting quality minutes and quality linemates. Other teams have emerging star players.

I hope for the sake of the franchise that this is the right move. The team desperately needs our young guns to be top line players. At least ONE of them (Turris?) has to become a star. The franchise, IMO, depends on it.
WE HAVEN'T SCORED IN 2 GAMES

Does this move make sense? Is Daniel Winnik going to score goals for us? What did Peter Mueller do to merit his stay in the NHL that Boedker didn't, aside from getting more ice-time from Tippet???

I very concerned that we're stifling the development of our younger players. Can anyone give me one example of a young draft pick that developed into a star by playing in the AHL over an extended period?

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Yote View Post

Does this move make sense? Is Daniel Winnik going to score goals for us? What did Peter Mueller do to merit his stay in the NHL that Boedker didn't, aside from getting more ice-time from Tippet???

I very concerned that we're stifling the development of our younger players. Can anyone give me one example of a young draft pick that developed into a star by playing in the AHL over an extended period?
You're joking right?

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:40 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:

The most recent example is probably Bobby Ryan, who put up 31 goals in 64 NHL games last year after spending 70 games in the AHL across three seasons.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Kyle003p

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
The most recent example is probably Bobby Ryan, who put up 31 goals in 64 NHL games last year after spending 70 games in the AHL across three seasons.
I was just about to say that

Kyle003p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post

Which teams young guns? Are you talking about top 3 selections like Tavares, Hedman, Kane, JVR, Toewes, Stamkos, Duchene, Doughty, Bogosian....?

Or are there other draft picks from the last 3 years that are emerging star players? I'm guessing if there are others they were drafted about 5 years ago.

The only Coyote prospect who compares to those players in terms of draft hype is Turris, and it is obvious he is going to take a bit longer than some of those prospects because of his slight build.

I agree the franchise is depending on a couple of the prospects you listed becoming a star....but not this year...I would say in 2 years.

Is it a strech to say Hanzal & Yandle are emerging stars?

On a side note, I'd like to see Mueller demoted for a few games, not for the reasons the other prospects have been demoted, but because he continues to show a total unwillingness to take a hit to make a play. I'll give him credit because he is playing better defensively and even throwing a few hits, but he is the ONLY Coyote player who hasn't taken at least 1 big hit this season....I'll set the over/under for the number of times he spins away from a hit...and loses the puck at 3 for tonights game against the Blues.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm totally fine with this move. Have the younger guys develop together. As much as I like Boedker, I don't understand some posters' comments about needing his offensive input. The kid has speed, skill, and a great 2-way game, but he hasn't been producing offensively for a very long time.

Look at Ryan & Brassard. Both spent time in the AHL. Those are the types of players we need Boedker & Turris to become. Not just another Reinprecht-type average 2-way player.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ

Quote:
I very concerned that we're stifling the development of our younger players.
100% disagree. You want to stifle the development of a 19-year old hockey player? Sit his ass on the bench and let him play six minutes a game. You want to develop your prospects together...have them play top line minutes in the minor leagues, the team kicks ass and their confidence and chemistry with each other will grow. That's the whole point of having a minor league system.

Quote:
Can anyone give me one example of a young draft pick that developed into a star by playing in the AHL over an extended period?
You've got to be kidding right? Guys like Crosby, Kane, Malkin and Ovechkin are the exception to the rule. It has become very trendy in the past few years (thanks in large part to guys like I mentioned) for teams to plug their first round picks into their team right away but hopefully you're going to see that pulled back a little bit otherwise a lot of these prospects are going to flame out. Look at the '03 first round-Fleury, Staal, Vanek, Suter, Parise, and Getzlaf all spent time in the AHL and I would consider them "stars". '04 first round-Cam Barker, Drew Stafford and Mike Green spent significant time in the A. If "stars" don't spend time in the AHL then they're usually over in Europe, juniors or college for at least two seasons before they jump to the NHL. I'm glad that our high prospects are getting some proper "development" now and not just getting thrown into the fire.

GophersGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:17 AM
hbk

Quote:

Brad Boyes
Steve Sullivan

Need more (Kris Versteeg) or has your panic attack subsided?

Edit:
Daniel Briere
Shane Doan

Last edited by hbk: 10-15-2009 at 11:39 AM.
hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:43 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Right, Mikkel Boedker & his grand 2 SOG over 5 games is surely going to get us over that slump.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:54 AM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Hockey_in_AZ View Post
You've got to be kidding right? Guys like Crosby, Kane, Malkin and Ovechkin are the exception to the rule. It has become very trendy in the past few years (thanks in large part to guys like I mentioned) for teams to plug their first round picks into their team right away but hopefully you're going to see that pulled back a little bit otherwise a lot of these prospects are going to flame out. Look at the '03 first round-Fleury, Staal, Vanek, Suter, Parise, and Getzlaf all spent time in the AHL and I would consider them "stars". '04 first round-Cam Barker, Drew Stafford and Mike Green spent significant time in the A. If "stars" don't spend time in the AHL then they're usually over in Europe, juniors or college for at least two seasons before they jump to the NHL. I'm glad that our high prospects are getting some proper "development" now and not just getting thrown into the fire.
Thanks. I wasn't aware of this fact.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I kind of wish that FSA would show fifty Rampage games instead of the fifty Coyotes games.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:27 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I kind of wish that FSA would show fifty Rampage games instead of the fifty Coyotes games.
I have an HD video camera. I might need to find a PBP guy though. I get a little too...graphic...when watching games.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

I just looked at Boedker's stats for last season. If you start at the beginning of the swoon on January 27 (and I'm not blaming him for it), he had 3 goals and 4 assists in the last 30 games of the season. Yet he continued to average 13 or 14 minutes of ice time during that period.

So despite his blazing speed, Boedker has not been lighting it up with scoring for a long time. We are just seeing yet another example of the change in coaching philosophy.

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:36 PM
ParisSaintGermain

I have no problems with this move. Boedker's potential is too good to let him be frustrated at not getting points in the NHL at this stage of this career. The AHL should give him the opportunity to get quality minutes and work on his offense.

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote