HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Mikkel Boedker to AHL

Old
10-15-2009, 03:38 PM

vCash: 500
I'm really excited by this move because once again it shows why I have such faith in Maloney & Tippet. Boedker is better suited to play in the AHL right now, however I thought he wasn't eligible due to the Juniors rule so I didn't think it was an option.

I've said it before countless times, it's best to give these kids opportunities where they can succeed. Boedker wasn't going to develop getting less than 10 minutes a night on the 4th line. You need to give players the roles that you want them to fulfill, so if they want Boedker to be a top 6 forward they either need to give him those minutes or send him somewhere he can get those minutes. Same with Turris, Tik, Porter, etc. I really want to see the Rampage make some waves this year as a result of these moves, plus the added benefit of sharing the affiliate with Anaheim. Hopefully they are back in the playoffs and can learn how to win before they carry that winning attitude to the NHL.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

It's good to know that we finally have decent coaching staff down there, too. From McSorely to Conacher our minor league coaching has always been horrendous. Greg Ireland's presence is reassuring.

Also, this kind of unblurs the line between big league and minor league, in this organization. With a big league coach like Tippett and a roster comprised of almost entirely veteran players, it really gives a sense of graduation to a recall. Getting called up should be a much bigger deal now. Earning a spot really means you've earned it.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:18 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
On a side note, I'd like to see Mueller demoted for a few games, not for the reasons the other prospects have been demoted, but because he continues to show a total unwillingness to take a hit to make a play. I'll give him credit because he is playing better defensively and even throwing a few hits, but he is the ONLY Coyote player who hasn't taken at least 1 big hit this season....I'll set the over/under for the number of times he spins away from a hit...and loses the puck at 3 for tonights game against the Blues.
If the team wanted to do so it would have to be before the Boston game Saturday. Mueller's only two more NHL games away from requiring waivers to be sent to the AHL.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
If the team wanted to do so it would have to be before the Boston game Saturday. Mueller's only two more NHL games away from requiring waivers to be sent to the AHL.
Why is Boedker allowed to play in the AHL? Something to do with him playing a full year in the NHL, or something?

Old
10-15-2009, 05:02 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Why is Boedker allowed to play in the AHL? Something to do with him playing a full year in the NHL, or something?
Someone posted earlier it's because he turns 20 in this calendar year. So he's consider 20 by the AHL rules.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 05:04 PM

Heck, I'd be all for sending Mueller to the AHL too if he doesn't have to clear waivers. It would leave a bit of a hole on our team offensively though. I guess you are rolling 3 scoring lines (Doan-Lang, Hanzal-Vrbata, Lombardi-Upshall) so you can fill that other wing with 3 the likes of Pyatt, Prucha, Korpedo, Winnik, and Fiddler...although I would rather call up Porter and give him some quality minutes for his hard work. I figured after two seasons that Mueller had broke 160 games, but there he is sitting on #158.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Someone posted earlier it's because he turns 20 in this calendar year. So he's consider 20 by the AHL rules.
I can't speak for the AHL rules but they probably follow the same criteria used to determine "junior age" which is indeed age at the end of the calander year. Boedker's birthday falls in December so he'll be 20 before the calander year ends.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=106795

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:33 AM
Jake

It'll be good for him. He struggled the latter part of last season to put up any numbers. The tragic thing, though, is that he's the cover athlete of NHL 10 in Denmark.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 03:51 AM
knich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Another angle I've been thinking about is how this might affect young Turris and Tikhonov (I think Porter is old enough to handle all of this). It sends a message of equality to the prospects to a degree. I think Turris was feeling a bit stung after being billed as the second coming and now being sent to the A. At this point I think it's clear to all that the Coyotes are no longer going to rush any of their prospects. It's not just Turris anymore, the other highly doubted picks are down there too. Let them all learn how to be effective in the A and then when they've proven themselves and are ready, they can come to the big club!
I think Meuller got the message last night. Probably the most complete game of his career.

knich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 03:57 AM
knich

Quote:
It's good to know that we finally have decent coaching staff down there, too. From McSorely to Conacher our minor league coaching has always been horrendous. Greg Ireland's presence is reassuring.

Also, this kind of unblurs the line between big league and minor league, in this organization. With a big league coach like Tippett and a roster comprised of almost entirely veteran players, it really gives a sense of graduation to a recall. Getting called up should be a much bigger deal now. Earning a spot really means you've earned it.
Exactly!

knich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Robotbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich View Post
I think Meuller got the message last night. Probably the most complete game of his career.
Definitely. I don't know if it was noticeable on TV since you can't always see what's going on away from the puck, but that was definitely Mueller's best game of the season so far, and aside from Doan I think he was the best forward last night. Maybe the new haircut?

Robotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 11:34 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotbike View Post
Definitely. I don't know if it was noticeable on TV since you can't always see what's going on away from the puck, but that was definitely Mueller's best game of the season so far, and aside from Doan I think he was the best forward last night. Maybe the new haircut?
I watched on television and I was drunk, and I still noticed that it was his best game of the last two seasons.

Old
10-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
It'll be good for him. He struggled the latter part of last season to put up any numbers. The tragic thing, though, is that he's the cover athlete of NHL 10 in Denmark.
I'm betting he's back in the NHL by 2010

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:59 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So I wonder what the lines will be. Turris and Tikhonov are already playing together, right? Same for Porter and Kolarik? It seems to me that MacLean would be a pretty good Pacioretty proxy for that line. Boedker didn't get sent down to play bottom six minutes, so doesn't it make sense to put him with Turris and Tikhonov?

Tikhonov-Turris-Boedker
MacLean-Porter-Kolarik

Old
10-16-2009, 02:08 PM
crazyhockeylover96

It would make sense because Boedker and Turris had some chemistry in their first rookie camp together. It could help inspire some offense from Tikhonov. I would say that MacLean is a little too slow for Turris and Tikhonov.

crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:37 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
I watched on television and I was drunk, and I still noticed that it was his best game of the last two seasons.
Agreed. There was an extra jump in his step (does he seem faster this year?) and he even made a good defensive play on an intercepted pass. I'm happy I'm not the only one to see his improvements.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:39 PM
PHX FireBirds18

In previous rookie camps, they have always played MacLean with Turris and Boedker.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 03:30 PM
ducky

Pretty exciting to be a Rampage fan this year...2 potentially dominating offensive lines. The powerplay should be lethal as well.

Here's hoping the play of Turris, Boedker, etc demand GMDM make some moves to make room for them on the big club.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Kate

With all of this talk, I am VERY excited that I have my half season tickets for the Rampage games. I will be going to both games this weekend!! On the glass Sunday!

Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 06:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
With all of this talk, I am VERY excited that I have my half season tickets for the Rampage games. I will be going to both games this weekend!! On the glass Sunday!
We expect lengthy, detailed reports.

Old
10-16-2009, 06:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Here's hoping the play of Turris, Boedker, etc demand GMDM make some moves to make room for them on the big club.
I believe Pyatt, Lang, and Lombardi all are UFAs, next summer. Mueller, Upshall, Hanzal, Winnik, and Bissonnette are all RFAs. We'll have options.

Old
10-16-2009, 08:26 PM
RR

Quote:
No need to add the opening qualifier. When you're not, then you should note it.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
No need to add the opening qualifier. When you're not, then you should note it.
I think adding the qualifier is a good idea actually! Just think of all the requests that can come true while RT is drunk watching a game.

Remember, Blake the dirty rotten traitor Wheeler is coming to town! We can ask RT to watch PB give Wheeler a lesson in karma! LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote