HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

vinny prospal

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2009, 08:45 PM
MorrisWanchuk

vCash: 500
vinny prospal

hi - was just wondering why on earth you guys got rid of vinny prospal. the guy has been awesome for us and a great team guy. it just doesnt figure that tampa bought him out??

Old
10-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Because he skates like a glacier and he is incredibility streaky, when he is on he is very good, when he is off he's the worst player on the ice so don't expect it to last.

10-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Skip Bayless
Kristers God-levskis

vCash: 629
+ We were making room for Tanguay in our top 6, but now we need another winger as Veilleux should not be on the first line.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:22 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Because he skates like a glacier and he is incredibility streaky, when he is on he is very good, when he is off he's the worst player on the ice so don't expect it to last.
Glacier? When was he ever that fast?

Old
10-14-2009, 09:30 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

When the rink was going down hill at about a 35-degree angle.

Old
10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
it just doesnt figure that tampa bought him out??
He made too much money for too many years.

Old
10-15-2009, 01:16 AM
SmittyBolt

rangers will over pay him next year for more than a year and he will sit back and take the year off.
anyways i was just remembering when Nitty was on the Big screen after the game, the incident with VP and the interview he had where he went off, you think torts thinks about it?

Old
10-15-2009, 08:44 AM
TBFan

Quote:
it just doesnt figure that tampa bought him out??
Yup. I would agree. IMO the worst mistake they made so far this season by buying him out. And it is showing by putting the bum of the week on the Vinny/Tanguay line.

Even before they dumped Prospal, Lawton was saying that they needed a top 6 forward, so I don't buy the idea that they needed to dump Prospal to get Tanguay.

Old
10-15-2009, 08:56 AM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

vCash: 742
Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
hockey

Old
10-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Bolts9204

Quote:
hi - was just wondering why on earth you guys got rid of vinny prospal. the guy has been awesome for us and a great team guy. it just doesnt figure that tampa bought him out??
Not sure there is a straightforward answer to this question. "Vinny 2" was a fan favorite and is definitely an affable guy. He had an overvalued contract but I was never quite sure that paying him two-thirds of it for doing nothing was the best way to get out of it (but apparently there were no takers when he was dangled as trade bait--even a seventh rounder, no one wanted his contract). He does have liabilities however, as mentioned he is streaky and he will have a long slump and he will get into Torts' doghouse because he always does. Also, he doesn't play defense. None, nada, zilch. I've never seen someone play less defense (has that changed?). Prospal don't do defense and that hurts him as well.

All in all, at this point given the savings were not that substantial and given that we are missing pretty much just one piece of the puzzle--a top six forward--I'm still not sure it was a good move to waive him. It all boiled down to him making more than he is worth, but we were the ones that gave him the inflated contract to begin with. I'm glad he's doing well in Manhattan.

Old
10-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Maria

it sucks that we let him him for nothing, we wouldn't have to be looking for someone to have chemistry with Vinny

Old
10-15-2009, 01:47 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts9204 View Post
. Also, he doesn't play defense. None, nada, zilch. I've never seen someone play less defense (has that changed?). Prospal don't do defense and that hurts him as well.

by all accounts i'm glad we have the good season Vinny. Who knows if he keeps it up - i hope so too. But, he has definitely been playing a pretty good 2 way game so far. having said that, he's on a line with dubinsky and gaborik both of whom are very responsible in their own zone.

ps. he has a great tan too.

Closed Thread