HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Should Suter & Weber be split up?

Old
10-15-2009, 11:38 PM
PredsChik

vCash: 500
Should Suter & Weber be split up?

With how terrible Hamhuis and Klein have been recently, I've heard several people calling for Suter and Weber to be split up in an attempt to help out with the other D pairings. I just wanted to get opinions from others who are more hockey savvy than I am.

I say no. Part of me would be all for Bouillon being paired with Hamhuis but I don't think I'd be okay with Klein being paired with Laakso or any other rookie for that matter.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

honestly, i think they should, the defense can't get any worse than it has ... and just pair them back up on the flower play

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:43 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Might as well, we've done just about everything else we can short of playing Guite on a scoring line and splitting up SAD.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 08:01 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

No, they just need to rest Klein for awhile. I'm losing hope of him becoming a NHL regular.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
No, they just need to rest Klein for awhile. I'm losing hope of him becoming a NHL regular.
Agreed, Klein is at best a No. 6 NHL defenseman and although still young, must do a lot of developing quickly to rise above that.

No, you don't break up Suter and Weber because together they give you a pairing that can play 25-30 minutes a night against the opponent's top lines. The issue is strengthening the bottom 4 to consistently provide defense for the other half of the game.

Klein has to be moved away from Hamhuis. Klein's minutes have to be limited. Until Sulzer is ready to come back up, there aren't really too many good options that jump off the page without totally weakening one pair or the other.

Bouillon has been arguably our third best defender, but I think he is getting caught a little during this stretch trying to do too much. Hamhuis has honestly been brought down by a total lack of chemistry with Klein and a general lack of support. He has clearly made his own gaffes this season, but I think they've been magnified by his lack of support from his partner. I think Laakso has been improving every game with some hiccups along the way as a rookie, but IMO is on the verge of surpassing Klein at this stage. And then you have Klein.

Suter - Weber
Hamhuis - Laakso
Bouillon - Klein

Gotta wonder about throwing the rookie to the wolves pairing Laakso up there with Hamhuis, but you can't throw him out there with Klein either unless you are going to really cherry-pick their assignments and limit minutes.

I don't know what the solution is, but one needs to be found. I'm really hoping for another solid game or two out of Sulzer in Milwaukee forces his recall and a stint for Klein in the press box, but until that happens we're stuck with our current personnel...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Panopticon

Regarding the "defense": Rumors I've been hearing since yesterday tell me that Franson has been called up. That's really going to help the defense...

Could help the PP, but with the way the forwards have been playing, I doubt Franson would be that much help in that department either.

Anyways, they probably shouldn't split them, but also at this point it's definitely worth a try. Hamhuis and Klein don't seem to be a very good pairing (well, Klein just doesn't seem to be a very good defenseman) at the moment, and should be broken up. But you can't pair the rookie, Laakso (or Franson, if the rumors are true), with the worst d-man on the team, Klein, so either it's Hamhuis-Laakso, Bouillon-Klein or you indeed split up the first pair.

P.S. If you guys are expecting Sulzer to come and save this team, you are **** out of luck. Laakso is better defensively than Sulzer (at least he was last season in the AHL). Sulzer may move the puck a bit better and play better on the PP, but he will NOT help your team in the defensive department more than Laakso does. Sulzer might be a good replacement for Klein, but I doubt Klein's going anywhere...

Last edited by Panopticon: 10-16-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 03:47 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I say split them up. Hamhuis needs a jump start because he is struggling big time.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Splitting them would be a huge mistake. They are our top two defenders, have excellent chemistry together .... arguably more than any other pairing in our history, and Trotz should be playing them 27+ minutes a night. We need to stop the rolling the lines crap, and for once, give our best players top minutes. Trotz will do this occasionally, but he loves to roll his pairings too much....giving crap players 12 minutes or more. Give Weber and Suter 27-30 minutes, give Hamhuis 25, and drop the others significantly.....

10-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Big Daddy

I agree with splitting them up. It happens all the time in jrs and minor pro. Makes perfect sense to pair a Weber, Suter, Hamhuis with a rookie. It forces the vet to develop a different part of their game with new roles and gives the rooks a comfort level having a solid out.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:00 AM
Wantsumcheezwyrwine

Web/suter

Absolutely. These two are the only two worth anything on our D line. Split them up and help spread the wealth. This year its obvious that no one line is better than the other. Just as they do something great--they turn around and tank it. I'm liking the bushel barrel and stick concept Trotz is using. Maybe he'll hit something at random that works...either that or beat them over the head with the stick until some sense gets knocked in.

Wantsumcheezwyrwine is offline   Reply With Quote