HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10/15/09 Washington Capitals vs San Jose Sharks. Verizon Center. 7:00 PM EST.

Old
10-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
The team could both use a shakeup to try and get both lines scoring, and Brendan Morrison has been generally impressive out there. I like the move from Boudreau. It may not last two games... hell, it may not last one whole period, but it can't hurt to try new combinations.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:00 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I would like to see this for a few games (order in icetime combo):

Laich-Backstrom-Semin
AO-BMo-Knuble
Fehr-Aucoin-Clark
Laing (AO)-Stecks-Brads

sit Gordon, as much as I like him, to send a message. Switch in Gordon for Laing in game two if you want.

Also realize that SOB would still get limited chances normally during shift changes. Just hope that the players don't overshift on purpose in spite of the coach making new lines.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:02 PM
txpd

Morrisson centering Ovechkin is no weaker than Fedorov offensively and that has been done on and off for two seasons. I am just guessing on this, but the major downside to SOB is that they freelance too much and the wings are not very good defensively.

Move Semin down and the line has Semin who doesnt play D and Morrisson who can be overpowered. This lead directly to both of the Devil's goals last game.

Moving Morrisson to Ovechkin gives Semin Backstrom and either Laich or Knuble for defensive coverage. Makes sense to me.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I have absolutely no feeling one way or the other for this game. Hopefully this dull and rainy day will lull the SJSs into now coming out full steam so the caps can get a jump on them.

Man that capitals schedule has been against some good teams so far in hindsight.
Its been dull and rainy here in San Jose for the past few days. We actually had a nasty storm on Monday. They're probably used to the gloom by now, sorry!

Should be a fun game to watch!

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:18 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Laich-Backstrom-Semin
AO-BMo-Knuble
Fehr-Aucoin-Clark
Laing (AO)-Stecks-Brads
Make it *** happen!

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:22 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Fing Dainus Zubrus can center Ovechkin and it doesn't make a lick of difference.

The key is getting Backstrom to kickstart some offense from line 2.
That was back in 2005-2006?

This is why I want BB canned. He changes up the lines so constantly it's annoying. BOS line was ridiculous to start and cooled off..big deal. It'll heat right back up. I think Bruce has ADD like the rest of his team.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:25 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I heard that Morrison is going to be centering Ovechkin? Weak.
You're outright hatred of Morrison is a tad puzzling.

And before you question my hatred of the following players (Klepis, Cutta, Fortin, and Nylander)...let it be know I have specific reasons for hating all four that have been well documented over the years.

However, your clear disdain for Morrison seems to lack actual reasoning. Care to explain?

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:25 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
That was back in 2005-2006?

This is why I want BB canned. He changes up the lines so constantly it's annoying. BOS line was ridiculous to start and cooled off..big deal. It'll heat right back up. I think Bruce has ADD like the rest of his team.
He had perfect reason to break that up. AO and Semin were starting to get a little to cute after a couple games. The sad part is he doesn't keep the other lines together for more then a game or two when at least on paper they add up nicely.

Old
10-15-2009, 01:27 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

And before you question my hatred of the following players (Klepis, Cutta, Fortin, and Nylander)...let it be know I have specific reasons for hating all four that have been well documented over the years.

However, your clear disdain for Morrison seems to lack actual reasoning. Care to explain?
Not Beech?

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:29 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Not Beech?
I was one of the few that actually liked Kris Beech and thought he...you know...turned the corner.

Sigh.

Old
10-15-2009, 01:32 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
I was one of the few that actually liked Kris Beech and thought he...you know...turned the corner.

Sigh.
I remember.

He scored a goal in an early rout of the panthers right after the calder cup championship. I was beginning to come around to the "turned the corner" line of thinking...

Old
10-15-2009, 01:36 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:

I live in Vancouver and he was a total granny in his final days as a Canuck. Also, I watch a lot of Ducks games (Big Pronger fan) and he was even worse there. Him being a cheap signing is OK I guess...but him being a 2nd line centre makes me shudder.

But I made that comment, not because I don't like him, but because we all know he isn't top line material. That's all. It could have been anyone save for Backstrom and I would have made the same post.

Anyone here play hockey, like beer league hockey? Splitting up your best players compromises each line....stacking a line with all the best players, compounds their talents.

Old
10-15-2009, 01:42 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I live in Vancouver and he was a total granny in his final days as a Canuck. Also, I watch a lot of Ducks games (Big Pronger fan) and he was even worse there. Him being a cheap signing is OK I guess...but him being a 2nd line centre makes me shudder.

But I made that comment, not because I don't like him, but because we all know he isn't top line material. That's all. It could have been anyone save for Backstrom and I would have made the same post.

Anyone here play hockey, like beer league hockey? Splitting up your best players compromises each line....stacking a line with all the best players, compounds their talents.
That there makes more sense then. Thanks for the explanation.

As for stacking lines....I like spreading out the talent to get the most out of each line. It's basically the coach being a chemistry professor and I can understand some of the reservations people have about Boudreau being that professor with his constant changes. But he usually gets it right with what he has...at least the past few years in Hershey and DC.

We'll see...I think it's worth a try this early in the season.

Old
10-15-2009, 01:44 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Morrisson centering Ovechkin is no weaker than Fedorov offensively and that has been done on and off for two seasons. I am just guessing on this, but the major downside to SOB is that they freelance too much and the wings are not very good defensively.

Move Semin down and the line has Semin who doesnt play D and Morrisson who can be overpowered. This lead directly to both of the Devil's goals last game.

Moving Morrisson to Ovechkin gives Semin Backstrom and either Laich or Knuble for defensive coverage. Makes sense to me.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Neither play had much to do with the wingers unless you fault Laich for taking a poor shot on the first goal against. Mo and the D definitely got worked on goal two. But that would have happened with AO/Knuble or Laich/Semin.

The rest is true.

Old
10-15-2009, 01:51 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:

People play beer league for fun and we don't strategize to play defense against a certain group. In addition the talent difference in general beer leagues is so darn great independent of efforts to have like 10 levels.

In the NHL a coach and team can make a plan to stop one line especially come playoffs. That doesn't happen in beer leagues. You always will get your guys who'd break from the gameplan, if you had one, to take off if they had a slight chance to score.

SOB can score in bunches. But without help from the other 3 lines for 1-2 goals per game plus a ppg here or there, you're relying too much for SOB to be consistent. And I don't see that happening. They'd end up leading the league in scoring but giving a .500 record as they win 7-1 one day and lose 3-2 the next.

Old
10-15-2009, 01:54 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
Its been dull and rainy here in San Jose for the past few days. We actually had a nasty storm on Monday. They're probably used to the gloom by now, sorry!

Should be a fun game to watch!
I'll endeavor to find a different ill omen to use against the SJS .

10-15-2009, 02:02 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I'll endeavor to find a different ill omen to use against the SJS .
How about the fact is like 40 degrees here!

Old
10-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
This is hardly a universally-held truth. That is certainly one perspective, but the reality is that there is wide disagreement on this issue. NHL head coaches on multiple occasions every year will publicly announce that they are grown tired of putting all their eggs in one basket, and are deliberately breaking up their top lines.

In one example from... let's see, 45 minutes ago... reports out of Calgary have Brent Sutter splitting up Iginla and Jokinen to both spread out the scoring and give the two lines a kick start. It happens all the time. In recent times, Ottawa did it every other week with Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson and the Fisher line.

While perhaps these hacks in the NHL aren't up to the lofty calcu-science levels of beer league hockey fundamentals, I'd still be inclined to give these coaches equal time with beer league truisms.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:07 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Quote:

wait, no Yonkman?

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:19 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
This is hardly a universally-held truth. That is certainly one perspective, but the reality is that there is wide disagreement on this issue. NHL head coaches on multiple occasions every year will publicly announce that they are grown tired of putting all their eggs in one basket, and are deliberately breaking up their top lines.

In one example from... let's see, 45 minutes ago... reports out of Calgary have Brent Sutter splitting up Iginla and Jokinen to both spread out the scoring and give the two lines a kick start. It happens all the time. In recent times, Ottawa did it every other week with Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson and the Fisher line.

While perhaps these hacks in the NHL aren't up to the lofty calcu-science levels of beer league hockey fundamentals, I'd still be inclined to give these coaches equal time with beer league truisms.
Iginla and Jokinen are the same player and don't play well together.

Anyway...at least the top PP unit will be stacked.

Old
10-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Semin

The first 2 GDT of the season were made by bottleCAPS and we won

the next 4 were made by others, and we know how that ended up.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

We are gonna lay in to them tonight

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:30 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I couldnt believe when George got suckered into taking back Beech.

Is it too early to call a charmin line? ill go with Flash BMo Semin. And lets toss in Sarge and Pothier for the full effect.

I dont care if we break up SOB, but it can win games. Those bottom 9 just need to play defense, something Bruce does not force them to do. So its always a coin flip if SOB can sustain us.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I've got a bad feeling about Thornton, Heatley, and Marleau (Yes, I realize they're not on a line together).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:43 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I couldnt believe when George got suckered into taking back Beech.

Is it too early to call a charmin line? ill go with Flash BMo Semin. And lets toss in Sarge and Pothier for the full effect.

I dont care if we break up SOB, but it can win games. Those bottom 9 just need to play defense, something Bruce does not force them to do. So its always a coin flip if SOB can sustain us.
Suckered into taking back Beech? He came with the first rounder used to pick up Varly, and his AHL quality play helped Fehr, Laich, Green, Flash, and the rest of 'em win the AHL Cup. Sure its nothing really tangible at the NHL level... except for development through winning.