HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Excited about the Possibilities?

Old
10-15-2009, 08:00 AM
ohbaby

vCash: 500
Excited about the Possibilities?

Who here is excited about the possibilities and think we can have a great season? And what would that be like? A Presidents Trophy? A Stanley Cup final appearance? A heart attack from too much excitement?

I for one would like to have a parade tomorrow,... march down 5th ave screaming Lets Go Rangers! Who is with me? Or atleast meet them at the airport, and wish them well in Toronto. Honestly,... Do we have to bring home the Stanley Cup to have a parade,... to show our love for this team?

This past week has given me such joy, I wanna stand outside and shout so loud that they hear me from Brooklyn. And it's not so much of what they accomplished, 3 wins in 4 nights, 6-1 season start, 6 in a row, undefeated at home, 1st in the league standings, 1st in goals for,... but the endless possibilities that we can look forward to.

I say we celebrate now, before Hank gets post concussion syndrome and or Gabby blows a knee. I was so pumped after beating the Kings, I went out and bought ice cream! And I'm lactose intolerant! Alright,.. maybe I should sprinkle some valium chunky crunch on my Rocky Road, but then what am I gonna do come Saturday? Have a Xanex float? I'll be a junkie come playoffs! What the hell,.. I'm already addicted to the Rangers, what's one more vice.

Funny thing is,.. I was always one to take a one game at a time approach in evaluating a team's success. Like last year,... Ok we can beat TB in Europe, come home and beat PHI n CHI who have yet to play a game and will be rusty, and so on. But this year,...I just can't help but get ahead of myself.

Could you imagine if Gabby stays healthy? What kind of year he could have? He has had only 1 full season since the lockout with 42 goals and 83 pts. And that was in Minnesota with Lemarie! At 27, he is in his prime, and god willing remains healthy will battle Ovie for top honors in scoring. Everyone in NY will be saying Jaromír who?

And it's not like he needs to score 60 goals to make me happy. I would settle for 20 more third period goals. All 6 of his goals this year have been scored in that period. How amazing is that?

Is it me or does Hank play his best game when he gets bowled over? I have never seen him sharper than he has been this year. He has always been a top notch goalie since his arrival. But he has taken it to another dimension this season. I have never thought of Hank as an exciting goalie till now. Steady yes, positionally sound, definitely, exciting never. I guess it's the number of quality chances that have risen with Torts system. His saves now, have me jumping out of my seat! He certainly didn't stop this many golden opportunities in previous seasons.

I will be dumbfounded if we don't have a very successful season. With 7 games in the book, I think I have seen all I need, to make this bold prediction. And most of it relies on the fact, that Torts will never allow mediocrity to settle in.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:08 AM
reckoner

after seven games last year voros was a first liner, the answer to sean avery's absence, and on pace for 60-70 points.

i actually think last year was more of a fluke than this year, but things can change over the course of the season. so don't get ahead of yourself.

reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:14 AM
ohbaby

But that's the point of this thread. Let's get ahead of ourselves and see the possibilities.

Old
10-15-2009, 08:17 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Gaborik will score 50 god damn goals!

hows that?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
But that's the point of this thread. Let's get ahead of ourselves and see the possibilities.
You should really switch to sanka.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Im cautiously optimistic that this team is for real, but the pessimist in me knows that if one domino falls, the whole damn thing very well may come crashing down.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:20 AM
ogie

i am trying hard to temper my excitement. this team might very well have the goods to go far this year, but i will wait to make a final assessment until i see how we fair against Philly, Chicago, Detroit, Sanjose. If we can play good against them then i think the sky is the limit for this team.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:27 AM
bumrusherer

Quote:
I was so pumped after beating the Kings, I went out and bought ice cream! And I'm lactose intolerant!
Haha, classic stuff.

IMO, this team isnt a contender but they look like they have the makings of winning a playoff round....maybe even 2 if Henrik and Gaborik come to play at their best level.
Thats all you need for that expectation really. The elite goalscorer and the elite Goalie.

Lets see where we are by February. After the eventual slumps and periods of bad luck come our way. If we are still feeling this good about the team after that....God help us, in a good way

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:32 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

I miss the playstation line.

naaaa kidding.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:37 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

This team MAY BE a Cup contender IF they are able to get better and better during the course of the season. HAving a good start is quite a good thing, but if the team istn't maturing from week to week, they will have at least a season as bad as the last one.
There actually is some potential, yes, but they have to take themselves and their game to another level if dreams shall come true.
The team's on the right way, but they gotta keep walking.

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:38 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You should really switch to sanka.
No thank you, I like my high test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im cautiously optimistic that this team is for real, but the pessimist in me knows that if one domino falls, the whole damn thing very well may come crashing down.
I'm tired of being cautiously optimistic. I'm gonna enjoy every moment. Injuries are a part of the game, but if we were to remain fairly healthy, I think what we have seen is a good sample of what we could expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
i am trying hard to temper my excitement. this team might very well have the goods to go far this year, but i will wait to make a final assessment until i see how we fair against Philly, Chicago, Detroit, Sanjose. If we can play good against them then i think the sky is the limit for this team.
The Kings really impressed me. They are going to the playoffs. This year, they might even be better than the teams you mentioned.

Old
10-15-2009, 08:41 AM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Dude, you cannot be a Ranger fan and NOT be a pessimist. For 30 years, my glass has been half empty. It lessens the pain of Kenny Morrow-type game 5 OT goals.

Just be happy the team is fun to watch and can score. It sure beats the last few Renney years, and I was a Renney fan! Check back over President's weekend.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I'm tired of being cautiously optimistic.
Ive been following the Rangers religiously for 20+ years. The best emotion you're going to get out of me is cautiously optimistic.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:46 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

What I forgot to mention: I already experienced a season like this, although it was 2nd German League. The team had a fantastic start, they blew out their opponents the first couple of games...Then they started to get worse and worse, finally made 8th place literally in the final seconds of regular season, by the help of another team. They got swept the first round, one year later, after avoiding relegation, the team was broke.
That's why I'm VERY cautious with early starts. If you don't develop, you get your ass kicked.

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Rangers4Life74

lets all just settle down and enjoy what we have seen so far.lets not get crazy and start thinking about the Stanley Cup when we arent even 10 games into the season.still have a long way to go,lets hope they can continue the fine play.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:17 AM
ohbaby

I understand being cautious. Anything can happen. I remember when Jagr hurt his shoulder and said goodbye to our playoff hopes. Hell, I know you have to be lucky.
But we can't control that. Also, it really doesn't matter how many rounds into the playoffs we go if we don't go all the way, right? And I'm not saying were Cup contenders, but I see no reason why we shouldn't have a good season. And that also depends on your expectations. Some feel The Cup is the only suffice result. We are 1 of 30 teams. You need to be awfully lucky besides being very talented.

At the sametime, I see no reason not to enjoy and get very excited to what this season might bring,... possibilities. And if we're lucky and healthy enough, we might do some serious damage come playoffs.

Last edited by ohbaby: 10-15-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old
10-15-2009, 09:37 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

ahahaha this thread already?
yes theyre on a bit of a roll but lets face it this team is 1-2 injuries away from barely contending for a playoff spot. The injuries WILL come lets just hope it doesnt hit the key players. Close this thread till Feb.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:41 AM
broadwayblue

You know what...we are a good team. I'm fairly confident we're going to win most nights against the crappy teams. But it's too early to say whether we are/will be a great team. We're still thin on D, don't have a legit first line center and who knows how secondary scoring will hold up. We'll have a better idea how these holes will effect us a bit down the road. But I love the start and the exciting play they've been bringing every night.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:58 AM
ohbaby

I should have known better to start this thread.

I was hoping to get some positive feeback on our success for the season. Instead, we should close this thread till the season is almost over?

I thought more guys would be excited about what they are seeing. Instead, everyone thinks it's just a streak, lucky we're healthy, who cares the playoffs are months away. Oh boy... I guess I ask for it.

Old
10-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Yes, you finally said something that is correct - you did ask for it.

Look around this board, fact is most are very excited for this start, but there is such a thing as taking it too far and getting carried away with expectations cause afterall, its just two weeks into a very long season.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:02 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I should have known better to start this thread.

I was hoping to get some positive feeback on our success for the season. Instead, we should close this thread till the season is almost over?

I thought more guys would be excited about what they are seeing. Instead, everyone thinks it's just a streak, lucky we're healthy, who cares the playoffs are months away. Oh boy... I guess I ask for it.
I think most of us are positive about the start. But we had an even better start last year did we not?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:03 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Just staying cautiously optimistic...it is only 7 games in.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:09 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
IMO we are a cup contender if we don't lose KEY pieces to the puzzle for extended periods of time to injury (Gaborik, MDZ, Lundqvist have been the irreplaceable pieces to this point, IMO...Gilroy could probably fill for some of MDZ's PP points if he had more ice time I guess.)

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:11 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
that and there has to be a move made at the deadline for a top 4 defenseman, IMO. Someone who will fit this system, but more of a defensive defenseman. Staal and Girardi's inconsistency worries me, and I figure it's only a matter of time before Roszival hurts his knee again. Sather will need to find a way to move Roszival if he's healthy, and I could see a team desperate for defense taking on salary in exchange for not much going in return the rangers way.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:20 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

i am excited about the rangers playing really well throughout the year unlike last year, because they have had a camp and some time to grow with Torts. But I am not thinking about a Stanley Cup.

You never know in hockey, because the best team in the regular season does not win the cup all the time.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote