HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dan Girardi

Old
10-15-2009, 03:22 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
He's been the 1-2 best D man for the last 4-5 games, whats wrong with some positive credit?

People can't seem to handle positive posts.
It wasn't intended to be a positive post.

It was a vindictive post intended towards posters who had the audacity to criticize Girardi when he was playing poorly.

The OP admits so in the first post:

Quote:
This one is for all those Girardi haters who like to surface now and again, like around the end of camp. Just wanted to be clear that his start of the season, has quietly been among the best of all Ranger defenders and better than most on the team.
If not for that sentence, I would not be taking issue with this whatsoever. Girardi has played much better in recent games.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
eco's bones

Hard to argue with all this when the team is playing as well as it is. Maybe two weeks from now things will change to the point where we can really say somebody sucks. Rozsival's only really had one bad outing. Even so Torts is giving him 5-6 ice time--has been since the season started. He's only played over 20 minutes in one game. Any argument that anyone wants to make on whether or not that's unfair should be made with the coach. He's making the decisions.

Most of the Rangers d over the Renney year's were miscast. Girardi would be an excellent 5-6 guy on a very good team. Top 4 over a period of time stretches his abilities. Rozsival never was a No. 1 d-man whether he took the minutes or not. He was a top 4--this year he's not even that. Redden may have been a No. 1 once but he isn't anymore. The two R's cannot bring the offense to justify that designation even if they're getting like they are. Staal is a top pair shut down guy--basically a No. 2 with a little bit of Langway in him who still hasn't fully evolved.

FWIW Girardi is excellent value for what he's paid. With his contract coming up I'd say over $2.5 I'd start to think about walking away.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:26 PM
shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Hard to argue with all this when the team is playing as well as it is. Maybe two weeks from now things will change to the point where we can really say somebody sucks. Rozsival's only really had one bad outing. Even so Torts is giving him 5-6 ice time--has been since the season started. He's only played over 20 minutes in one game. Any argument that anyone wants to make on whether or not that's unfair should be made with the coach. He's making the decisions.

Most of the Rangers d over the Renney year's were miscast. Girardi would be an excellent 5-6 guy on a very good team. Top 4 over a period of time stretches his abilities. Rozsival never was a No. 1 d-man whether he took the minutes or not. He was a top 4--this year he's not even that. Redden may have been a No. 1 once but he isn't anymore. The two R's cannot bring the offense to justify that designation even if they're getting like they are. Staal is a top pair shut down guy--basically a No. 2 with a little bit of Langway in him who still hasn't fully evolved.

FWIW Girardi is excellent value for what he's paid. With his contract coming up I'd say over $2.5 I'd start to think about walking away.
It is funny what people think a bad game is. yes one errant pass. oh my. he gets it up to the forward and they cant get it out. .
last year our team sucked and couldn't score goals. so Girardi played bad.
that's the reason.
To stick up for every player. everyone sees a different game. good games don't always show on the score sheet. a player could have a great game but have no stats to show for it. sometime a player could have 3 pts but played so so.
I guess it is the coaches opinion that matters the most.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:29 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The problem was that when he wasn't playing well, he wasn't a top 4 caliber defenseman.
On a nightly basis he plays against the oppositions best players, they're the best in the league and best in the world. Playing against those guys, they're going to make you look bad some times. The important thing is, most of the time, they don't make him look bad which says a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
On a team with Michal Rozsival and Wade Redden, who are routinely denigrated even after good games, you're going to call Girardi the whipping boy?

In fact, I'd say the exact opposite. I think from many posters and many fans Girardi has gotten a free pass for far too long. As he's an un-drafted, homegrown defenseman making little money who's also lovably Italian, people often times seem to turn a blind eye to his inadequacies. Last season, when Girardi sucked for at least 40 games, all you heard about was, "Man, Rozsival/Redden is KILLING the team! Send him to the minors!" And even if that was true, the vast, vast majority of people never said a freaking word about Girardi. There were always a few of us around here that said, "Um, hey, fellas, Girardi isn't playing very well..." but were always drowned out by those that immediately penciled him in with Staal on a top pairing every night and in the future. And then with his obviously horrible play this pre-season, a lot of people started expressing anti-Girardi sentiments. Was some of it overboard? Sure. But this guy is so far from being the most unfairly abused player on the team it isn't even funny.
Rozsival and Redden are two dead horses that have been beaten mind numbingly to death. Most of us are tired of hearing of it and discussing it. Next on the list is DG which when the saturation levels of R&R are hit, the Girardi topic surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
He's been the 1-2 best D man for the last 4-5 games, whats wrong with some positive credit?

People can't seem to handle positive posts.
And those that don't want to recognize the positive accomplishments of the player, have the most difficulty with the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
It wasn't intended to be a positive post.
It was a vindictive post intended towards posters who had the audacity to criticize

Girardi when he was playing poorly.

The OP admits so in the first post:

If not for that sentence, I would not be taking issue with this whatsoever. Girardi has played much better in recent games.
Not intended to be vindictive at all as I tried to ensure I clarified in my very second post in the thread. It was put in there, to gain the attention of those who IMO, inappropriately assess the player and have a longstanding general dislike for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Too often a guy has a bad game or two and everyone comes out to post about it. I wanted to make a post about the guy when he's playing well and no one wants to talk about it.
Even recently, there are posts by Fans of this team that want to see him gone, which is evidence of a continuing anti-Girardi sentiment.

Many times over the past 2 years I've found myself defending a guy who is a perfectly fine defenseman but who comes under harsh criticism when he doesn't consistently meet high expectations. Expectations which maybe he's contributed to by going through stretches of fantastic play. To say that he turns into a horrible defender for a half a season, as many do, when really he's just quietly returned to a respectable defender, is absurd. Hot offensive starts followed by stretches of quiet offense and respectable defense, doesn't make a guy terrible.

Last edited by vipernsx: 10-16-2009 at 02:55 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote