HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shot Question

Old
10-15-2009, 02:43 PM
WithOutPaperss

vCash: 500
Shot Question

I am right handed. When I take shots I for some reason lift my left leg off of the ice instead of the right. Could this be affecting my shot and making worse than it could be?

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 03:07 PM
blueberrydanish

All depends on the angle of the shot and position you are taking it from. I got a righty in my league and because of where he shoots from and all that he does the same thing shooting off his right foot, and his shots HARD AS HELL, got a nice clotted vein in my ankle from blockin a shot of his. It doesnt necessarily take away from your shot power if you know what you are doing but I know I can get alot more in my shots personaly if I am cutting across from left side to right cause I can distribute my weight from right leg to left leg(I shoot right also).

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Placebo Effect

I'm a RH shot and I lift my left leg a lot.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:46 PM
K-PAX*

Strictly speaking, the leg kick you're incorporating won't harm your snap shot. Wrist shots and full wind-up slap shots could be affected however.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 05:23 PM
WithOutPaperss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor D View Post
Strictly speaking, the leg kick you're incorporating won't harm your snap shot. Wrist shots and full wind-up slap shots could be affected however.
Well oddly enough my snap shot sucks, my wrist shot is decent but not too good and my slap shot is awful.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Gino 14

You are not following through with your shot, you should be shifting your weight on to your foot for balance and power.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Canad93

It's a matter of preference. It is handy to know how to shoot off your off foot, but you should learn the "correct" way.
You just have to practice taking wrist shots with both feet on the ice, and eventually you'll teach yourself to shift your weight while shooting which will essentially make your right foot the one that moves..This happened with me as well. It is usually beneficial for righties on the left wing to shoot off of their right foot because of the angle, but for the sake of proper form, you should learn to shoot off of your left. It allows you to really get your weight into it and will open up your shot quite nicely.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 07:35 PM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

For my snap shot I always lift my left foot (I'm right handed) but for my wrist and Slap shot I lift my right foot so I can have proper weight transfer and get more on my shots

BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 07:51 PM
BLKHKhockey

I'm a righty and i always lift my left leg on snap/wrist shots. I go up on my right foot but lean forward to flex the stick. It feels a hell of a lot easier/faster to shoot this way rather than off my front foot.

BLKHKhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canad93 View Post
It's a matter of preference. It is handy to know how to shoot off your off foot, but you should learn the "correct" way.
You just have to practice taking wrist shots with both feet on the ice, and eventually you'll teach yourself to shift your weight while shooting which will essentially make your right foot the one that moves..This happened with me as well. It is usually beneficial for righties on the left wing to shoot off of their right foot because of the angle, but for the sake of proper form, you should learn to shoot off of your left. It allows you to really get your weight into it and will open up your shot quite nicely.
I shoot in all ways one should ... I prefer shooting on the wrong foot like the original poster mentioned. I picked that up from Mark Messier in the 80s and kinda borrowed it.

Anyhew ... I like using it to fake a pass across and then taking the shot on the off-wing.

But like you said it is best to learn the proper way for sure as it will be used the most.

The other thing I worked on and do well is the slapshot on the wrong leg which catches goalies off guard often because they think you will pass instead.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:26 AM
SSM12

I alway shoot off the wrong foot for Snappers and Wristers and I think I have a pretty good shot. Slappers, I guess I shoot it normally....

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 01:47 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
I am right handed. When I take shots I for some reason lift my left leg off of the ice instead of the right. Could this be affecting my shot and making worse than it could be?
Nope! In the old days, we would tell players that shooting off the wrong foot was bad for you and that you will have less power behind the shot.

But times have changed. Yes, it depends on the angle of approach to the goalie in how you take advantage to which foot you are going to use.

However, it more importnat that you learn how to make that wrist shot on both legs which you balance. This means a lot of upper body and Core strength you will have to work on at the gym to make this work for you so that you have power behind that off leg.

Head coach