HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about hockey in LA

Old
10-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Skyver

vCash: 500
Question about hockey in LA

Passion for hockey reaches even where no game has been played on TV, ever. Even where ice is nowhere to be seen, unless it's in your fridge or in a mountian so high it makes you sick. I'm a new member, from Colombia, way down south and I love the Kings, and also the Leafs but I'm starting to believe that team is actually a money scheme .

I've only been in LA once, for six months, but I wasn't a hockey fan back then. Also, I was there in summer of 2006, also called "hottest summer in xxxx years", so no chance to see any kind of game.

How big is hockey in LA anyways? How much does a ticket cost? I'm planning to go there this winter and I might as well catch a game!

Skyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:54 PM
MxH0CKEY

Well Hockey is actually pretty popular down here. This year it seems like all 3 Calif. teams will do great. So I would expect hockey to grow even bigger. Even though I sadly no longer live in LA and moved to Dallas I will tell you that Hockey is big.. We have diehard fans down here no doubt about that!(Ask everyone here on the board, they'll tell ya).

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Kings man 4 life

I'm the only fan... help me.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:24 PM
butthead666

King fans are very loyal considering that the team has basically floundered since Gretzky years with the exception of a couple of years in which the team actually played very well in the playoffs. What they lack in numbers they make up for with passion. Los Angeles is all about winning and entertainment and this King's team has a chance for mass appeal if they can start winning consistently.

butthead666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:00 AM
RightKinger

Being Armenian, I know that there are a lot of Armenian/Russian Kings fans in the LA area whose families came to America in the 1980's during the Gretzky era for the Kings. Most of these fans have stopped attending games since they have been terrible for the last 7 years but I know for a fact that once the winning starts these people will be buying tickets and they'll be back on the wagon.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 08:17 AM
97FlyersKing18

Hockey in California is not at its peak level, but the amount of kids that are playing with only a few rinks is quite astonishing. A few years ago (when I was playing minor hockey), a team from California was always in the National Championship hunt whether it be Midget Major AAA or Pewee AA. The game probably took a major hit due to the economy and players needing to pay more for luggage when traveling to tournaments. Kids from California stack up well against the "hockey hotbed" players of Ontario, Boston, and Minnesota. Within the next few years, you will see a few more players in the NHL from California out of the 1987-1991 draft years.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 04:05 PM
GRuiz98

Send a message via AIM to GRuiz98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
I'm a new member, from Colombia
What part are you from? Just wondering because my mom is from Cali and my dad is from Medellin.

GRuiz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 07:02 PM
onlyalad

you can get tickets for most games for 30 or 60 bucks 120 for good seats.
there are many hard core fans that have stuck through the tough years (more than some other teams) and there are the band wagon fans, who come out only when times are good. Hockey isn't mentioned on the news during sports reports and the papers don't send writers to many games.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Skyver

Quote:
What part are you from? Just wondering because my mom is from Cali and my dad is from Medellin.
Medellin!

Skyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 10:11 PM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
Hockey in California is not at its peak level, but the amount of kids that are playing with only a few rinks is quite astonishing. A few years ago (when I was playing minor hockey), a team from California was always in the National Championship hunt whether it be Midget Major AAA or Pewee AA. The game probably took a major hit due to the economy and players needing to pay more for luggage when traveling to tournaments. Kids from California stack up well against the "hockey hotbed" players of Ontario, Boston, and Minnesota. Within the next few years, you will see a few more players in the NHL from California out of the 1987-1991 draft years.
Already many players from California drafted..

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRuiz98 View Post
Hows Vincent Chase?

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:16 PM
97FlyersKing18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Palffy33 View Post
Already many players from California drafted..
I know, they will crack their NHL lineups in a few years. Some are still in College, USHL, or in the WHL. Soon enough we will see guys like Blum with the Preds, Wahl with the Flames and Nicastro with the Wings.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote