HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Thoughts on the 09-10 season? What is Wrong & How can we fix it?

Old
10-17-2009, 08:51 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
We were watching top 3 draft pick quality hockey...

The problem I see is that our smirfs come-out flying, but seem to have no gas left in the 3rd... I think the lack of energy is due the fact that they're all midgets.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Kirk Muller

Honestly i have been asking what the identity of this team has been for 15 years now.

I am still waiting for the day when this team changes directions and goes with a team like Calgary. More North American blue collar instead of the small shifty players who get pushed around.

Maybe its just cause i am a Western Canadian Hab fan but how many more years does this team need to fail before making real changes. Could we at least try something different.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Kingbobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Honestly i have been asking what the identity of this team has been for 15 years now.

I am still waiting for the day when this team changes directions and goes with a team like Calgary. More North American blue collar instead of the small shifty players who get pushed around.

Maybe its just cause i am a Western Canadian Hab fan but how many more years does this team need to fail before making real changes. Could we at least try something different.
I wish we had a blue collar team

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastScottThornton View Post
Are we really expected to wait 30 games before seeing something consistently reassuring? Maybe. But should it really take 30 games for this team to be able to operate a basic puck control offense? No way no how.

I'm not the only one noticing this, we can't complete more than 2 passes before either turning it over or having to muck it up on the boards/corner as a result of an erred pass.

Price is not to blame for this one at all, the problem goes way deeper and has for years. This isn't a cohesive unit on the ice at all.
I've got one answer for you. Phoenix Coyotes.

Dave Tippett comes in late to a team surrounded by uncertainty and also with new players. Look at their record. Should it take 20 to 30 games to somehow get used to a system. Were not talking about rocket science. All of these guys have played for numerous coaches and systems in their respective careers.

I have a sick feeling that were about to see an impotent offence this year and as much as I hate to say it, missing the playoffs is looking very likely at this point.

Bob needs to act now before it's too late.

Jean Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:59 PM
habsroom

I guess I will have to help you Martin!

I know I only make 50 000 A year so I am underpaid compared to Martin but he needs some help. Martin has to start playing the players on the lines where they will help the team.

GOMEZ = He has to play with a skilled winger and a big winger.

PLEKANCE = top 2 centre that is playing well now, I he keeps it up.

MAXIM = He is doing nothing out there. I watched him play in the Q and he used to fight maybe he should drop the gloves once and a while. he doesn't pick his game up soon he will be on the 4th line soon.

CHIPS = if he doesn't do something soon he will be sent down to the ahl or traded. He looks like a bust. To bad cause I liked him and was cheering for him.

METRO = It says alot when the team misses a guy they got off waviers and is a fourth liner. when he comes back you might see him on the 3rd line.

CAMMALLERI= HE is trying hard with some results but I think a big winger would also help him.

GIONTA = Works hard and has some results but once againhe is small and he needs help from a big forward on his line.

KOSTITSYN = He should be that big skilled winger that Gionta,Cammalleri and Gomez needs. He has to score 30 plus goals.

LATENDRESSE = He should get a chance on the top 2 lines he is 1 of a few guys that has the size and skill to help out the smaller star forwards we have.We are wasting him on the third line. give him 30 games on the top 2 lines and see if he can play that role or not.

DAGOSTINI= If he isn't playing on the top 2 lines then there is no need to play him. He is a lot like Ryder never play him on the 3 or 4 line.

PACIORETTY = He has size and skill but he isn't good enough yet to play on the top 2 lines in the NHL so why waste him on the 3 and 4 line. send him to the ahl and let him score some goals. We need this guy to be a 30 goal guy in a year or 2.

KOSTITSYN = He has a bad attitude (maybe) but I think we need his fire and skill in Montreal or trade him. I would rather see him play on the top 2 lines than Pacthes.

MOEN = He works hard and fits well on the 3/4 line but never play him on the first line again.

LARAQUE = Engage with someone we pay you 1.5 million to fight yes fight so stop playing with the puck behind the net for 3 seconds and then lose it. get your ass in front of the net. Players have to be scared of you not like you. 1 fight every 10 games isn't enough.

STEWART = I like that guy but he is over his head in the NHL but atleast he will fight and doesn't have to have his ego boasted every game ( sits out without crying about it)

So Martin you have .....GOMEZ and PLEKS as your top 2 centres and Cams ,Gionta and Kostitsyn as your wingers on the top 2 lines pick from LATS, DAGS to play with them or call up S kostitsyn. I don't want to see Moen or Pacioretty on the top 2 lines again this year. And I don't want to see Dagostini on the 3 or fourth line. put the player where they will have results.

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:01 PM
HABitual

I knew this season would be bad...

but it's even worse than I expected

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Gary320

The season ended already?

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:04 PM
MoonlightGraham

75 games are yet to be played. Now is definitely the correct time to judge the entire season.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:04 PM
coolasprICE

I agree Plekance rules

There's gonna be a trade this week

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Habruti!

People have no patience. In the same sentence I have eard the media saying PK Suban should be in an offensive role in MTL, something that he strives at. In the mean time they are complaining about Pacioretty. Few years ago there where the exact same complaints against Higgins who was playing on a second line with Ribeiro and Ryder (if my memory serves me well) and then suddenly everything started falling into place. Keep Daggostini with Laps for a few game he seemed a bit more poised out there. I would like to see the following:

Pacioretty, Metropolit, Daggostini (Dont put too much pressure on Pax and Dags, let them pick up there game with a decent center)

Kostsitsyn, Plekanek, Latendresse (Put pressure on Lats, It will eventually PAN out IMO)

Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta (The only thing missing is few lucky bounce it will come).

Moen, Lapierre, Laraque (Switch Laraque with Sergei if need be)

Play Hammerlik and Bergeron
Spacek and Georges
Gill and Mara

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I cant say that the habs have been out chanced particularly in the last 3 games. I know its cliche but it usually takes a string of good games to get out of a rut and the habs are close.

I had a feeling that the habs were in trouble when they completely outclassed ottawa in the first period but couldn't manage to get a lead to show for their efforts.

A couple bounces wouldn't hurt, but in general, the guys simply have to put the puck in the net, and they will.

It sucks to be 2-5-0 but I cant really say that they have played all that poorly. To compare this team to Toronto, who have showed no hope of even competing, let alone winning is going a bit too far.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
How does this sound for a line up

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta
Latendresse - Lapierre - Moen
D'Agostini - Metropolit - Laraque

Markov - O'Byrne
Spacek - Hamrlik
Mara - Bergeron
oh man....so good.

thats what ive been hoping for ALL ALONG

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I had a feeling that the habs were in trouble when they completely outclassed ottawa in the first period but couldn't manage to get a lead to show for their efforts.
This happend alot last season too, especially when Montreal has like a 5 on 3 that they dont convert on or something of that nature too early in the game, it comes back to bite them in the ass.

Its just kinda deflating when the team plays good but the results end up poor, against colorado the other night Montreal played well, and when they were out west against Calgary and Edmonton they had a half decent game, a couple bounces goin montreals way or against the opponent win these games.

Factor in the loss of Markov and then Metro lately our record could be much improved. Even with just Metro in I say we win atleast against Flames or Oilers, and if patrice brisbois subs in for Belle against Colorado we got that game in the bag.

I am not really that discouraged by this team at all like many others, its still really early and there are so many new faces including coach so no need for a super panic yet.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:33 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

not that i think it should be now, but when will the time come that we stop using the excuse "QQ it's a new team, none of these guys have ever played in any kind of system or professionnal hockey league for years of their lives, give them a chance to gel"

20 games? 30 games? a long as they keep playing like ****?

they better move along with this "gelling" i don't want to be hearing about how they're still warming up to each other in january, that will be unacceptable.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:36 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

The team I want to see on the ice for the next game is the following one :

S. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn
Pacioretty - Pyatt - Neilson or Conboy

Spacek - Hamrlik
Mara - Gorges
Gill - Bergeron (as few minutes as possible on even strenght)

PP1
Spacek - Bergeron

PP2
Latendresse - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn
Hamrlik - S. Kostitsyn

In the stands : D'Agostini (he's totally useless), Laraque (so a true fighter can do the job and make some damage)

In Hamilton : Chipchura, Stewart, Belle, (where they belong) and Pacioretty once Metropolit is back, so he can learn what offense means. And I dont ****ing care if we lose Chipchura on waivers.

Last edited by DDs not undersized: 10-17-2009 at 11:42 PM.
DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:43 PM
StellerEller
Playoffs!

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
The team I want to see on the ice for the next game is the following one :

S. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn
Pacioretty - Pyatt - Neilson or Conboy

Spacek - Hamrlik
Mara - Bergeron
Gill - Gorges

PP1
Spacek - Bergeron

PP2
Latendresse - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn
Hamrlik - S. Kostitsyn
I'd love to see Pyatt up with the team until metro gets back, and even then he can play the wing when he is back. I wouldnt put conboy on there, If were going to put BGL in the press box i'd prefer neilson in.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:43 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i want patience and i want it now

Old
10-17-2009, 11:52 PM
FuriousBob

As it as been said, this is a transition year for everybody so patience should be used. I would still juggle a bit with my first 2 lines and give alot of ice time to young prospect player like
Weber/O'byrne/Patch/D'ags/Maxwell etc...
I thing that even if we aren't in deep **** yet we should get ready for next year by training our young guns so they will be able to mesh our holes. Since our offense is struggling I would put Pleks (our best player) on the first line and bring up Maxwell to help our bottom pairing.

Cammalleri-Pleks-Gionta
Patch/D'ags-Gomez-A.kost
Lats-Maxwell-Moen
Laraque-Laps-D'ags/Moen

Hamrlik-Spacek
Gorges/MAB-Mara
Gill/Gorges- Belle/MAB

I would keep Belle as our 7th D so he can pick up some games to let Gill rest so he can be more consistent.

I would play Halak a bit more because even if our D is really bad for now, the Goalie must be able to steal a game so that the team can gain confidence and get back on the right track and until now Price is not the man to do this.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:09 AM
BeastScottThornton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau View Post
I've got one answer for you. Phoenix Coyotes.

Dave Tippett comes in late to a team surrounded by uncertainty and also with new players. Look at their record. Should it take 20 to 30 games to somehow get used to a system. Were not talking about rocket science. All of these guys have played for numerous coaches and systems in their respective careers.

I have a sick feeling that were about to see an impotent offence this year and as much as I hate to say it, missing the playoffs is looking very likely at this point.

Bob needs to act now before it's too late.
Something needs to be done alright, and that something is Bob being shown the door. The game has passed him by, and I rather we not give him another chance to dig our grave even deeper. July 1st was enough. We shuffled our coaching, now it's time to get a new GM and shake up our scouting a bit.

BeastScottThornton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:24 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

if i put in a request with a hospital to be put into an induced coma until markov is back and/or we don't suck, you think they'd hook me up? i don't feel like being continually disappointed between now and then. it's bad enough i wait all spring and summer (after being forced to watch that dismal season) feeling depressed cause TV is full of reruns and there's no hockey to watch which wouldn't be so bad if there had been any summer to ****ing bask in, and then i have to wait another ******* half season before i can watch games worth watching? c dla vrai ******** ca. i will crash a car to get me into that bed.

i haven't seen even DECENT habs hockey in close to a year and i want to punch babies.

i'm not even complaining about the people running the team, or the players, just the whole situation in general. this terrible luck that just doesn't make sense in a logical world. growing pains for a decade.

Last edited by HarlemsFinest: 10-18-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old
10-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Ginu

My take on our season start and early season reflections...

I have to admit that I'm really not bothered at our start so far. I was thinking about it today that not only did we just have a massive squad overhaul, but we lost the familiarity of our players to one another. I remember the last 2 seasons having Kovalev on line 1 and Koivu on line 2 being the go-to players on those lines whenever we needed to make something happen.

So far, nobody has stepped up as that player - that game breaker - for us 7 games into the year (is it a coincidence we haven't named a captain yet?). We aren't necessarily missing Koivu and Kovalev who haven't been lighting it up with their respective new teams either, but rather the knowledge of who we have to rely on when it gets tough and we need a goal. Koivu and Kovalev were the staples on our top 2 lines for years. Now, we just don't know.

It's also no coincidence that when we united Tanguay, Koivu and Kovalev last season, that our second line went completely cold. The players who were meant to step it up this season to replace those guys just haven't. These guys haven't taken that responsibility so far. Although Plekanec's play has been inspired, he's no go-to player.

So who are those game breakers for us this year? Cammalleri and Gionta. Just from their effort level alone. So what's the point of this thread? We need to split up Cammalleri and Gionta on the top two lines in order to get that balanced clutch play that we had the last 5 years.

How do we do it? We need a player with size to join Gomez and Gionta, but these guys have to be relied on as our SECOND line given the need to familiarize themselves with the new situation. Forget about their salaries right now. This is our team now and we need to do something to pick it up. Plekanec and Kostitsyn need to emerge as the 1st line for this team because they've been here for many years (Gomez - Gionta will get their points, but they can't be relied upon alone) and Cammalleri has to join them.

Only until Plekanec and Kostitsyn learn to shoulder the load for this team will we go anywhere. Get another top 6 forward to make that happen if need be, but something's gotta give. The young players who have been here longer than the new 3 studs up front have to take this team to another level with their play. We can't rely on the new guys this early.

These are ramblings at 2am. Apologies if they were incoherent.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:24 AM
MisterTrep

it's a fresh start for all our players... New coach, new system. the only "advantage" if you want to put it this way, is the fact that some player are already used to play here in Montreal.

MisterTrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:42 AM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Firstly, our team is buzzing and generating things and playing well. They're losing, but you can sense that one of these games our team will bust out. We're getting good goaltending and our is looking great. Hamrlik and Spacek seem to be playing well together.

Our pk is getting better as the season progresses. The main struggle with our team, and the reason I believe we lost the past 2 games, hell, he reason we probably lost against Edmonton is because of our powerplay, or rather lack-there-of.

If our powerplay was clicking, we could have had an extra goal, or two in each of those games and probably had given us the lead.

A team that sucks and finishes last, is a team that loses 3-0, 4-1, 5-2 game in, game out. We've lost 7-1, 4-3, 3-2 and now 3-1. We're in those games (thanks to our goaltending)

We should be getting Metropolit back who helps the team on the 4th line and adds solid defensively and helps offensively from time to time.

Sergei Kostitsyn could be traded soon, hopefully with a pick, or another player (since we apparently have 49 contracts right ?) and get a decent player in return, hopefully a big player with hands to help the top 6 with Pacioretty being sent down to the AHL.

With Bergeron coming up to assist our powerplay (one hell of a shot he has) we should be in good shape to be a strong team.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:39 AM
TomPlex

It's days like today that made me with the Habs board had two sections: optimists and pessimists.

I don't think that our top 3 should be split up, but I do agree that I'm not worried about this season.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:58 AM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
It's days like today that made me with the Habs board had two sections: optimists and pessimists.

I don't think that our top 3 should be split up, but I do agree that I'm not worried about this season.
Yeah, I read the pessimists and my mood goes south, and then I read the optimists and it heads back north. At this point I'd count myself amongst the optimists. Look, the season is young and I see no need for all the gloom and doom right now. There is a lot of talent on this team and clearly chemistry still needs to develop. Yeah, it totally sucks losing, but I'm willing to give it a chance - let's see what the next month or so brings before planning the Taylor Hall parade.

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote