HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ted nolan wants the job

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2004, 11:13 AM
newf

vCash: 500
ted nolan wants the job

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=79320

i say go for it. having a coach with something to prove would rub off well on the young roster.

doubt he'll get it, though

Old
04-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Sather will not hire Nolan, end of story.

Old
04-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Ted Nolan was A job, not necessarily this one.

Any NHL GM would have to have rocks in his head to just hand this guy a job after being out of coaching anyone at any level for this long.

Old
04-07-2004, 11:36 AM
KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.

Any NHL GM would have to have rocks in his head to just hand this guy a job after being out of coaching anyone at any level for this long.
I Agree

Old
04-07-2004, 11:38 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:

According to the Ledger he's been coaching in the Junior B league.

Old
04-07-2004, 11:42 AM
allrevvedup25

I'd say give him a try, he preaches a defensive system and holds people accountable, something Sather or his lacky's don't. We all know that this is a pipe dream because there is no way Sather hires Nolan after what happened in Buffalo with Muckler.

Old
04-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Davisian

I agree that he's been out of the NHL game for too long to hand over a job like this, but I also agree that Nolan does a good job with kids..

Therefore, I wouldn't mind a promotion of McGill and Fotiu and offering the HFD position to Nolan.

It would be good for him to get back into coaching pros, and I think he'd have a good effect on the core of youth coming through the system.

Old
04-07-2004, 11:55 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
According to the Ledger he's been coaching in the Junior B league.
I just read the article and it does say that, so I tried to find some kind of confirmation on this. The closest I got was a 1/5/2002 SLAM article

Quote:
And speaking of Ted Nolan, who coached the Buffalo Sabres, he was all set to join the Mississauga IceDogs this week but backed off at the last minute.
*The deal would have made him the highest-paid coach in the Canadian Hockey League.

*In his previous OHL go-round, Nolan guided the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds to three straight Memorial Cup appearances, winning in 1993.

Old
04-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Larry Melnyk

I say Sather would be a moron (OK, more of a moron) if he didn't consider NOLAN..I'm not saying give Nolan the job, but definetely sound the guy out because he is the only guy that I know of that had recent success with an almost entirely young roster...and he wants to continue coaching youngsters.....Yeah, he had Hasek backstopping everything and bringing them further then they should have, but he had a team with about 9 forwards and 3-4 defenseman all under the age of 25-26 playing balls to the wall every night, being hard to play against almost every night, and fighting for the POs with an all for one philosophy (well, untill the alleged Hasek Hanky panky)....It looks like that is the type of team composition we will have next year and we can only hope of getting similar results...The first steps are the coach and the goalie....Nothing to lose by considering Nolan while many of the other candidates have not shown previous success with a young roster..

Old
04-07-2004, 12:29 PM
True Blue

IMO, if Jackass is going to hire Nolan, then why not just hire McGill & Fotiu? Having said that, I'd take Nolan in a heartbeat over Renney.

Old
04-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
he is the only guy that I know of that had recent success with an almost entirely young roster...
Recent!?!?! That's like saying the Rangers were "recently" in the playoffs, because the last coaching record I can find for the guy is the 96-97 season. Ron Low's had teams in the playoffs more recently than that. Young ones.

I'll never understand the fascination everyone has with this guy. A VERY SHORT NHL with an ending clouded in mystery and an apparent place on every GM's "doody" list. 1 playoff appearance, 1 round win, all of it 7 years ago, and people gush over this guy like he's Scotty Bowman's freakin' clone. Considering the competiton for this job, Nolan doesn't have a prayer and damn sure doesn't deserve one.

Old
04-07-2004, 12:56 PM
nyr5186

I like Nolan and I think he deserves to coach in the NHL again, but he's not doing himself any favors by rejecting coaching jobs in the minor leagues. If I were him, I'd try to find a job in the AHL first, and then work his way up again. I'm just not sure why he expects to go straight into the NHL after seven years of sitting around with a black cloud over his head.

I agree with Davis. We should give him something to do in Hartford or maybe make him an assistant in New York.

Old
04-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Recent!?!?! That's like saying the Rangers were "recently" in the playoffs, because the last coaching record I can find for the guy is the 96-97 season. Ron Low's had teams in the playoffs more recently than that. Young ones.

I'll never understand the fascination everyone has with this guy. A VERY SHORT NHL with an ending clouded in mystery and an apparent place on every GM's "doody" list. 1 playoff appearance, 1 round win, all of it 7 years ago, and people gush over this guy like he's Scotty Bowman's freakin' clone. Considering the competiton for this job, Nolan doesn't have a prayer and damn sure doesn't deserve one.
That's recent enough for me, given the age of the coach...BTW, for your information, I'm not fascinated with the guy or gushing over him...Just think that, given his success with a young team that we may be very similar to next year, he should be given consideration.......Nothing lost by doing so...

And you are right about Blowzo the Clown, he did have some success with a young team and a solid goalie, but he did that mainly with speed/offense while Nolan's team was more grit, system and scrapping---which I think we will have to depend on and is more applicable to today's game...

Old
04-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Edge

as sad as it to say, 97 is already 7 years ago and the game has changed even since then.

I agree he had success but he wasn't up to date with the state of the league 2 years ago and I doubt he is now.

Personally I would like to see McGill get the nod.

Old
04-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
as sad as it to say, 97 is already 7 years ago and the game has changed even since then.

I agree he had success but he wasn't up to date with the state of the league 2 years ago and I doubt he is now.

Personally I would like to see McGill get the nod.
That's very possible and, if so, he could keep his PowerPoint presentation and peddle it elsewhere......BUT the type of game Nolan played 7 years ago is still played today---and succesfully...

As for McGill, the more I think about him and other candiadates, the more I wouldn't mind seeing him coaching a young Ranger team...He's done a terrific job this year, almost Nolanesque.....But seriously,hard work, solid defense and good goaltending, discipline, great team chemistry, decent special teams, all with a pretty young and everchanging roster...That's the recipe we need in New York

Old
04-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
That's very possible and, if so, he could keep his PowerPoint presentation and peddle it elsewhere......BUT the type of game Nolan played 7 years ago is still played today---and succesfully...

As for McGill, the more I think about him and other candiadates, the more I wouldn't mind seeing him coaching a young Ranger team...He's done a terrific job this year, almost Nolanesque.....But seriously,hard work, solid defense and good goaltending, discipline, great team chemistry, decent special teams, all with a pretty young and everchanging roster...That's the recipe we need in New York

I'm just worried about Nolan. If he went to a college or juniors or somewhere I'd feel more comfortable but the coaching situation is a lot like their draft pick this season. We really can't afford another "experiment". I like Nolan but his success is essentially tied to one season and as of right now there isn't enough other evidence to point to.

I think McGill could be the right choice IF the team is serious about going with a young team. Same for Nolan. Really it depends on what this team plans to do.

I wouldn't be opposed to Nolan per say, but if we're going down that path we might as well go with McGill. Which of course means we're probably stuck with Renney.

Old
04-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Fletch

Should change the heading to...

Nolan wants A job...

I do feel bad for Nolan, though. He's going to spend all this money putting together a first-rate presentation and Sather's going to tell him that he's going to build a team that can win the 'Cup and that means trades and UFA signees and his presentation will have the wrong focus and Nolan will be out of it before he gets into it.

Old
04-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Edge

Well this time around it might be a better fit because this is going to be a younger team.

Having said that, Nolan is like everyone else. He's going to have to do his research and he's going to have to present solutions and ideas during his interview. It's no different that if you or I were going for a job. We need to do our research on the company we are applying at.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Marchy79

Nolan would be a great coach in NY... His approach to the game is bar none very sharp, and IMO he could be a very sharp fit for the Blueshirts next season... It would have to at least be considered... But Mr. Robinson in NJ could be a nice fit now as well, according to the press (and how it made mention that Larry was working a deal to coach the Russian team in the WC's this late summer) it seems like he's got the itch to do it again.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think that there has to be reasons that Nolan has not really been considered for jobs since he left Buffalo (save for Tampa and the Islanders). Personally, this decision is much too important to leave to a wild card like Nolan. Someone might take a gamble on him but it shouldn't be the Rangers.

04-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Fletch

I think there are a lot of potentially good candidates...

to coach this team. But it really has to come from someone on the outside. McGill's quasi-outside in my opinion, as he's within the organization, but is successful. Many of the Rangers' problems last year were pretty obvious to people like us. While implementing a system successful is key and is often not that easy, there are other little things that can be done to make the team better too.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Marchy79

I dunno, Nolan sounds like a very good candidate... He does not believe in star power, and he demands 100% night in night out... He is a very serious responsible man (I still remember him blowing up in Buffalo, where he WAS right in that situation)... He has the coaching resume of a very good coach (leading the Soo to 3 straight Memorial cup tourney is very hard thing to accomplish)... And he did take a very bad Buffalo team and carved out players to become every day NHL'ers... IMO guys like Mike Peca owe Nolan a bit, as it was Nolan who instilled the never say die additude he plays with.

Just to refresh my memory to be sure, Nolan was canned in a dispute with the Dominator about lollygagging after hours right???

Old
04-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Slewfoot

I don't think there is anyway Nolan gets the job with the Rangers. They will either bring in a more recently proven name or promote from within. Maybe Nolan could be in Hartford if the Rangers promote McGill. I just can't see Sather leaving himself open for even more criticism(if possible) by bringing in Nolan following Trottier and himself. I haven't seen Keenan's name brought up recently.....

Old
04-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I haven't seen Keenan's name brought up recently.....
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder when those rumors will rev back up...

Old
04-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Laches

I don't think any of us really knows the whole story with Ted Nolan. There are rumors and speculation, but the whole thing is still somewhat mysterious. I think he'd be something of a risk at this point. He's been out of the NHL for a while, could he step right back in and be successful?

A couple of things have really hurt Ted Nolan. One is his own overly selective approach to job-hunting. He turned down the Tampa job, he turned down an assistant's job with the Isles. NHL coaching isn't a profession where you can sit around and wait for the perfect job to come along, you've gotta take what you're offered and do what you can with it. Also, while he did have some success in Buffalo, and his players (except Hasek) spoke highly of him, I think Lindy Ruff's success right after Nolan left made a lot of people start to think that maybe Nolan wasn't such a miracle-worker after all.

I think the best thing would be to have him in Hartford, or maybe to hire him as an assistant under a more experience head coach, who would then sorta groom him for the job.

Closed Thread