HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spezza.

Old
10-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Pyke*

vCash: 500
Spezza.

So, he had another relatively quiet night, picking up a single assist to bring him to 3 on the year in 6 games. A slow out of the gate pace for a guy making $7m a year.

Still, am I the only one who thinks he looks like a changed player out there? He seems to be back checking, skating hard, and actually maybe turning into a bit of a 2 way player. If his linemates had buried some of his chances (odd thing to say when his linemate has 3 goals, but anyway) he could have had a couple more points easily.

I'm wondering if he's following the same sort of course as Stevie Yzerman did; be a prolific offensive player and then develop into a great two way player. Anyone else think he's headed down that path?

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:10 AM
The Fuhr*

He was dominant tonight. He brings the same game every night not only will the points come but he would be a top five center in the game without question.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:13 AM
costermonger
sans classe

His passes are as good as they ever were and they're getting through. Everything else he does is better than it used to be. I'm not worried.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Sensfanman

Spezza is breaking out, finally. He's all over, showing his speed (no need to slow done for one timer passes), he's hitting, he's forcing turn overs, keeping control of the puck and still doing those no look back hand passes, except they are connecting. Showing the highlight reel for him tonight was cool. He's still making INSANE passes, tape to tape, cross rink, through traffic or from behind/beside the net. Note how Michalek's PP goals was vintage Heatley. The chemistry is coming and Spezza's new, fast paced game is one to watch, it's amazing! Him and Michalek will be a great dynamic duo, I hope Cheech can keep up.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:19 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
Spezza is breaking out, finally. He's all over, showing his speed (no need to slow done for one timer passes), he's hitting, he's forcing turn overs, keeping control of the puck and still doing those no look back hand passes, except they are connecting. Showing the highlight reel for him tonight was cool. He's still making INSANE passes, tape to tape, cross rink, through traffic or from behind/beside the net. Note how Michalek's PP goals was vintage Heatley. The chemistry is coming and Spezza's new, fast paced game is one to watch, it's amazing! Him and Michalek will be a great dynamic duo, I hope Cheech can keep up.
That's quite correct. Michalek scored a goal very similar to Heatley. It's one of the reasons why I think Michalek can be a 30+ goal guy who provides a terrific two-way presence. If he manages to connect on the PP consistently, I don't have very many doubts that he'll breakout for us this season.

Spezza has been doing much better this year as well. Maybe a combination of the coach and new linemates, but he's added a bit of grit to his game and he seems like a more composed player defensively. Hope he keeps this up because it could earn him a spot on the Olympic team.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Huston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
So, he had another relatively quiet night, picking up a single assist to bring him to 3 on the year in 6 games.

If relatively quiet night means little to no production in the stats category, yes I agree. However, this was his most affective game this season all around. He could have had a few assists, and a goal. The pass he gave to Michalek's for his hat-trick goal could have given Karlsson a goal earlier in the game. There were other plays that could have gave Michalek a five goal night. You need to take into account the goalie on those chances, and so far this season, the Goalies have happened to play Spezza right. Hopefully he will have some bounces go his way soon.

Huston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:21 AM
The Chef*

I don't care if he doesn't score every night. If he continues playing like he's playing right now the points will eventually come.
90 point offensive Spezza is good. But I wouldn't complain with a 75 point 2-way Spezza either. I think he'll hit 90 playing a solid 2-way game some day. I don't overrate our players but Spezza has all the talent to actually pull this off.

He's another man out there. A few years ago I'd never imagine Spezza playing like this.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Ishdul

He only had 1 assist tonight but he was dominant. The point totals will level off with his play. Just as Ruutu won't put up the ~70 points he's on pace for, Spezza can't keep playing like this and only put up and assist every 2 games.

And honestly, 75 point Spezza should be cause for complaint. That's a little too much offense to give up considering Spezza's potential and ultimately our struggles have more to do . I, however, always thought that people were way too harsh on Spezza before.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Sens Rule

I don't care about points as long as we win. Spezza was always the best part of the Heatley-Spezza duo. Spezza may giggle a ton in interviews... he may make a few turnovers trying to force passes each game. But he has been great for years... his game has got better and better.

I'll say it here. Spezza will be on team Canada in the Olympics and it might not be as a scoring line centre.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Minister of Offence

im often a pretty harsh critic on Spezza, and over the years rightfully so. He does looked changed out there, he was expected to step up this year as heatley left and hes done well with the opportunity. Hes buying into clouston just like everyone else is.

Not sure about him taking team canada, but once the numbers start coming, and they will...im sure hell get some attention about it.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:09 AM
sensfan83*

Spezza has looked great the last two games... I like to think it has something to do with Fisher getting the A and Spezza trying to follow Fisher's example.

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Topside

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan83 View Post
Spezza has looked great the last two games... I like to think it has something to do with Fisher getting the A and Spezza trying to follow Fisher's example.
Enough already...

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:24 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 908
Quote:

Spezza has looked good and I have been willing to give him a mulligan for some time since I knew it would take time to click with new linemates. He's finalyl starting to get it and it's paying off. I think his confidence in his own zone has gone up and now he is being rewarded with some pk time.

I've really noticed how Michalek has changed his game already by playing with Spezza from when he first got here. He's now trying to find an open area in the slot and in front of the net where Spez can feed him the puck. His 3rd goal was perfect example of that.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:27 AM
sensfan83*

What's so ridiculous about Spezza trying to emulate the game of the player who was rewarded with an A over him? As much as I overhype Fisher, some of you need to face reality.

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:29 AM
SENSfreak_03

hasn't there always been a belief, that Spezza and Heatley should have been broken up for the last 2 years, for borh of them to be better hockey players. I think it's showing for Spezza now, he's playing amazingly, without racking up points. Those will come, I'm not worried, I'm just thrilled to see him take the rest of his game to the next level.

Been a long time supporter of his, and I'm glad he's getting it all together.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:32 AM
masterandy

Spezza has grown up.. and it's all coming together. We are all witnessing greatness right in front of our very own eyes. I've waited for this moment when rumors ran rampant that we were going after the 2nd overall pick. One of the best moments in Senators history and now he has finally arrived.

He deserves full credit for what he's been through over the summer and to turn it around and taking that next step, is incredible to watch. I just hope this is signs of things to come. We all waited for this moment, please let it be.

masterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Huston

Quote:
What's so ridiculous about Spezza trying to emulate the game of the player who was rewarded with an A over him? As much as I overhype Fisher, some of you need to face reality.
You are just being a ****** now. Spezza in no way is emulating Fisher... he is much better on the back check.

Old
10-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Huston

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03 View Post
hasn't there always been a belief, that Spezza and Heatley should have been broken up for the last 2 years, for borh of them to be better hockey players. I think it's showing for Spezza now, he's playing amazingly, without racking up points. Those will come, I'm not worried, I'm just thrilled to see him take the rest of his game to the next level.

Been a long time supporter of his, and I'm glad he's getting it all together.
Yup, and since Heatley is with a lesser Spezza in Thornton, he will not grow.

Old
10-16-2009, 02:30 AM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
Quote:
Because last season he didn't stand infront of the net with his stick in the air waiting for a one-timer to emulate the other player that got an A before him

Polakdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:33 AM
PizzaPizza12

i'm very confident when he has the puck. if he works on the pk, i'm all for it. he seems to have changed for sure.

PizzaPizza12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 07:46 AM
OgieO

He was awesome last night. I was completely impressed with him and love the way he's playing - he's skating, hitting & creating great scoring chances.

Results will come, he's playing excellent out there.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post

I'm wondering if he's following the same sort of course as Stevie Yzerman did; be a prolific offensive player and then develop into a great two way player. Anyone else think he's headed down that path?
Glenn Kulka/Lee Versage is that you?

Steve Yzerman was the captain of the Red Wings, a captain over players much more veteran than he, at a young age.
Steve Yzerman had a hundred point season under his belt, Spezza does not. Granted, you can make the case for that era being more wide open.

Spezza's game is rounding into form but he needs to produce more than one point every two to three games for this team to have a deep playoff run, because that is what he will be judged on in the end.

Also, I don't remember Yzerman giggling after every interview... again an indication the maturation process isn't complete.

Spezza is and will continue to be the whipping boy in Ottawa until a Stanley Cup/Conn Smythe/Selke Trophy/Lester B. Pearson is won by the player.
At this point, he is doing his job as a hockey player, even so he needs to produce offensively.

I'd be overjoyed if this meant he helps this team win something of worth.The jury is still out on Spezza and will be until he produces a championship in this town.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Hutz
Classless User

Yes, while others have been bashing Spezza, I've seen flashes of this Spezza for quite some time now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here and jinx it, but hopefully he's finally making those flashes we've seen stick.

And if that game was an off-game for him, I might j my pants when he has an on game.

Quote:
congratulations, you're the first user I've blocked. And I don't just mean on HF.

I like Fisher too, but you can't talk about anything else and that makes you useless.

to others: I highly recommend it.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 08:08 AM
operasen

Its Spezza's team now that Heatley is gone. He's the offensive catalyst. As he goes, so goes the season.

He does have excellent team players around him, if they can be slotted into the lineups to allow for their strengths to play out. Example: Kovalev is not a true LW - I'd rather seee him on the RW side, even if that is 3rd line sometimes with Regin.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I don't know if anyone else noticed it at the game, but he looked to be favouring one of his legs as if it's a bit injured. He has been a bit tentative this year, which is weird for a guy who is usually bursting with confidence on the ice.

If he can continue to develop his puck possession game, he will be awesome.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote