HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jean Perron on l'attaque à 5

Old
10-19-2009, 03:57 PM
icerocket

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caekslap View Post
If your an ignorant redneck, maybe you should try to listen and learn instead of arguing as if you know something about it.

Belorus and Russia were both part of the Soviet Union.

Many Russians migrated to other Republics such as Ukraine or Belorus.

That's why Kostytsyn speaks Russian and not Belorussian. That's why he's also part of the Russian community in Montreal, not the Belorussian one. (Gives interviews to their journals and shows up to their shows)
Your argument is so bad it's not even funny.

HURF DURF! Andrei was born in Novopolotsk, Belarus .

Hmmmmm multiple languages and cultures in the same country in which certain people identify themselves more with a certain culture/background than another? Kinda sounds like Canada doesn't it? See if someone's lineage in Canada is French or English it doesn't matter because in the end they are both Canadian. Hell throw in all the other ethnicities. In the end we are all Canadian.

Just like if the Kostitsyn's feel they are more Russian doesn't mean they are Russian. They are Belarussian.

DUR DUR DUR

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
why didn't anyone say "i am" ? or maybe gomez could have said mi llamo
I was waiting for...je suis trop payé.

Haven't seen Jean Charles lately...did he get the boot? (one can hope).

Martin McGuire is great on there.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
L'attaque a 5 has hired a new girl to replace her

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/therrien/?p=1128
WTF.
I hate the role of the girls. It's just used as eye candy. Page had no problem last week doing both roles. Waste of money.. they could use that money to hire debators who know wtf there talking about instead of useless eye candy, Perron and JC.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Unspoken

On the girl at l'attaque à cinq

I sometimes read her hockey blog before she got on tv. It was funny and the girl knew more than many here about hockey. She just isn't very good on TV. They should have fired her, but no replacement was needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Yet here I am a frenchie speaking hockey at an english website. I'm already assimilated. lol
You're deforming my original points way beyond my intent.

You'll be assimilated when you start forgetting how to speak your first language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
I hate English people in Montreal who can't speak a word of French and I hate francophones who can't speak a word of English.

Both these cases are incredibly annoying when the person works with the public.
There is a false equivalency here. In your opinion, why do all the francophones have to speak english, while only the English people in Mtl have to?
BTW, this comment of yours literally means that you hate almost half the population of Quebec (who don't speak English).

For my part, I don't hate anyone for their language skills. And I will never denounce immigrants who don't speak English. English is in no way "threatened" to disappear in Canada. I don't agree with those who have used my comments here to argue against first generation immigrants who have a hard time learning another language. I wished they did learn it, but I know it can be hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Secondly, what culture? We live in a globalized world, to paraphrase Immanuel Kant, nature created language and religion(hence culture) to divide man and cause conflict. We are all humans and I really couldn't care less whether you're black, jew, french, chinese, english. You are a human being, we are all the same species of animal, give it up. Secondly, people who only want to stay within the bounds of their own culture are ignorant. There is a beautiful world out there, live it a bit.
I think you're 200% wrong on culture because you forget the important question: globalized by whom?
There is a dominant culture coming with globalization. It doesn't come empty. Globalization comes with a frame of mind forged by western cultures and more precisely by the United States.

Globalization of culture leads to uniformization. This is dangerous. I want diversity. I'm glad I can watch and listen to music that comes from many places of the world. I don't want to be stuck with only Hollywood movies.
Diversity of cultures means a diversity of ways to think about the world.

I'd be really sad in a world where everyone thinks the same, listen to the same music or watch the same movies. I'm glad that, beside a Spielberg, there is an Lars Von Trier or an Almodovar.

You're also misrepresenting people who want to defend their culture (saying they want to stay within bounds).
Someone arguing for the respect and the preservations of cultural diversity cannot be so easily accused of being closeminded (as you imply in your last sentences).

Defending a culture often means understanding the importance of cultureSSSS. Therefore, it leads to respect of other cultures (it does for me, as I stated above) because the demise of any culture is a sad thing.

Actually, you cannot be open minded about the rest of the world, if you think culture is not (or should not be) important. If you think culture shouldn't be important, this means that you'll probably come off as very rude when you get to travel or meet peoples of other languages and other religions. Downplaying the importance of cultures, leads to incomprehension of others and sometimes to intolerance.

Just think about it, for you to be open toward the rest of the world, it is necessary for the world to be at least slightly different from you. If the world is the same as you, you're just open to what is already within you, which is ethnocentrism at its worse. Of course, the world cannot be different from you without the preservation of cultural diversity.

This means that difference is necessary for open mindedness to exist. Therefore, when a small and relatively threatened culture (like the one in Quebec) wants to defends itself against the possibility of disappearing, it is not necessarily acting against the world. From a worldwide perspective, it is acting for cultural diversity. And this is a good thing.

Being aware that you are first and foremost a human being, doesn't mean that you can't have a culture based on your local society. Your identity is more complex than that. It has many layers.
Where you live, where you grew up, the languages you speak, the tales your father told you before going to bed, the songs you hear on the radio, etc. they all have an impact on the way you think and on the way you perceive the world. You just can't help it.

Defending and advocating for the survival of local cultures doesn't mean placing boundaries between you and others. It just means respecting yourself and respecting others.

Last edited by Unspoken: 10-19-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Unspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspoken View Post
On the girl at l'attaque à cinq

I sometimes read her hockey blog before she got on tv. It was funny and the girl knew more than many here about hockey. She just isn't very good on TV. They should have fired her, but no replacement was needed

You're deforming my original points way beyond their my intent and you know it.

You'll be assimilated when you start forgetting how to speak your first language.

There is a false equivalency here. In your opinion, why do all the francophones have to speak english, while only the English people in Mtl have to?
BTW, this comment of yours literally means that you hate almost half the population of Quebec (who don't speak English).

For my part, I don't hate anyone for their language skills. And I will never denounce immigrants who don't speak English. English is in no way "threatened" to disappear in Canada. I don't agree with those who have used my comments here to argue against first generation immigrants who have a hard time learning another language. I wished they did learn it, but I know it can be hard.

I think you're 200% wrong on culture because you forget the important question: globalized by whom?
There is a dominant culture coming with globalization. It doesn't come empty. Globalization comes with a frame of mind forged by western cultures and more precisely by the United States.

Globalization of culture leads to uniformization. This is dangerous. I want diversity. I'm glad I can watch and listen to music that comes from many places of the world. I don't want to be stuck with only Hollywood movies.
Diversity of cultures means a diversity of ways to think about the world.

I'd be really sad in a world where everyone thinks the same, listen to the same music or watch the same movies. I'm glad that, beside a Spielberg, there is an Lars Von Trier or an Almodovar.

You're also misrepresenting people who want to defend their culture (saying they want to stay within bounds).

Defending a culture often means understanding the importance of cultureSSSS. Therefore, it leads to respect of other cultures (it does for me, as I stated above) because the demise of any culture is a sad thing.

Someone arguing for the respect and the preservations of cultural diversity cannot be so easily accused of being closeminded (as you imply in your last sentences).

For you to be open toward the rest of the world, it is necessary for the world to be at least slightly different from you. And the world cannot be different, if there is no cultural diversity. If the world is the same as you, you're just open to what is already within you, which is ethnocentrism at its worse.

This means that difference is necessary for open mindedness to exist. Therefore, when a small and relatively threatened culture (like the one in Quebec) wants to defends itself against the possibility of disappearing, it is not necessarily acting against the world. From a worldwide perspective, it is acting for cultural diversity. And this is a good thing.

Being aware that you are first and foremost a human being, doesn't mean that you can't have a culture based on your local society. Your identity is more complex than that. It has many layers.
Where you live, where you grew up, the languages you speak, the tales your father told you before going to bed, the songs you hear on the radio, etc. they all have an impact on the way you think and on the way you perceive the world. You just can't help it.

Defending and advocating for the survival of local cultures doesn't mean placing boundaries between you and others. It just means respecting yourself and respecting others.
I can respect myself without having to attribute a label to my name. If you feel insignificant and cannot enjoy life because you cannot identify with a particular group of people, then that's not my problem. All culture has done in the last 7000 years is create conflict. Culture is the root of hate. I do not need to follow certain types of rules to fulfill my life.

Diversity is a reality regardless of culture. Culture is putting diversity into classes which is just as dangerous as uniformitarianism.

If you want to live the rest of your life with a label, so be it. I'm quite happy being my own person, different from everyone else, without having alabel attributed to my name.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Unspoken

Quote:
I can respect myself without having to attribute a label to my name. If you feel insignificant and cannot enjoy life because you cannot identify with a particular group of people, then that's not my problem. All culture has done in the last 7000 years is create conflict. Culture is the root of hate. I do not need to follow certain types of rules to fulfill my life.

Diversity is a reality regardless of culture. Culture is putting diversity into classes which is just as dangerous as uniformitarianism.

If you want to live the rest of your life with a label, so be it. I'm quite happy being my own person, different from everyone else, without having alabel attributed to my name.
We have a definition problem here. You're reducing the meaning of culture dramatically here.It is much wider than you can imagine.

Culture is you using english to speak to me. Culture is what kind of paintings you like to see, what kind of music you like to listen to, what kind of stories you like to hear, what kind of video games you play, etc.
It is the food you eat, the architectures of the buildings on the streets, the sports you like to play, the books you like to read.

All these things are part of what constitutes your very own culture. Culture is not related to political boundaries. It can't be equated with to words like nation, religion, race, or language.
Yes these things can play a role in your culture, but culture is a much wider and much more complex concept than these.

For instance, we, here, like hockey. This is cultural. People in Africa don't like hockey.
You cannot escape it, you have a culture.

Diversity cannot exist without culture. Please give me an example of how you can respect diversity without respecting cultureS. Culture doesn't work by categories or classes. Every single person has its own culture which is a blend of different influences. May from your surroundings, from your language, etc., but other influences are of your own choosing (I like punk rock).

Old
10-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Andy

Quote:
We have a definition problem here. You're reducing the meaning of culture dramatically here.It is much wider than you can imagine.

Culture is you using english to speak to me. Culture is what kind of paintings you like to see, what kind of music you like to listen to, what kind of stories you like to hear, what kind of video games you play, etc.
It is the food you eat, the architectures of the buildings on the streets, the sports you like to play, the books you like to read.

All these things are part of what constitutes your very own culture. Culture is not related to political boundaries. It can't be equated with to words like nation, religion, race, or language.
Yes these things can play a role in your culture, but culture is a much wider and much more complex concept than these.

For instance, we, here, like hockey. This is cultural. People in Africa don't like hockey.
You cannot escape it, you have a culture.

Diversity cannot exist without culture. Please give me an example of how you can respect diversity without respecting cultureS. Culture doesn't work by categories or classes. Every single person has its own culture which is a blend of different influences. May from your surroundings, from your language, etc., but other influences are of your own choosing (I like punk rock).
What are you saying? Culture is not a thing which exists objectivly in nature. You are not born with a culture, you are however born different from every other person around, hence diversity. Diversity is intrinsic. Culture is placing of diversity in categories. We play hockey here and not in Africa because of the whether, is that culture? No, it's diversity, not in people, but of nature. People took that fact of nature and placed in a category.

All you are is a human being who lives in one specific area of the globe speaking one type of language. Is language culture? No it's a means of communications...why a diversity of language? Because humans have a capacity to speak, it seperates us from other animals. We at one time lived on different parts of the globe, isolated with each other, hence people came up with different languages. If you look combinations of syntax structures, all language function pretty much the same way. Culture is the placement of diversity into categories.

Clinging on to culture, is clinging on to a label and placing youself into a certain type of people. Diversity exists in the absence of culture.

If you want to be bound and labeled for the rest of your life so be it. In the end we all die and no one will care about your culture once you do. People are different, learn from it and stop being ignorant. Your are not born with culture.

Old
10-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Unspoken

Quote:
What are you saying? Culture is not a thing which exists objectivly in nature. You are not born with a culture, you are however born different from every other person around, hence diversity. Diversity is intrinsic. Culture is placing of diversity in categories. We play hockey here and not in Africa because of the whether, is that culture? No, it's diversity, not in people, but of nature. People took that fact of nature and placed in a category.

All you are is a human being who lives in one specific area of the globe speaking one type of language. Is language culture? No it's a means of communications...why a diversity of language? Because humans have a capacity to speak, it seperates us from other animals. We at one time lived on different parts of the globe, isolated with each other, hence people came up with different languages. If you look combinations of syntax structures, all language function pretty much the same way. Culture is the placement of diversity into categories.

Clinging on to culture, is clinging on to a label and placing youself into a certain type of people. Diversity exists in the absence of culture.

If you want to be bound and labeled for the rest of your life so be it. In the end we all die and no one will care about your culture once you do. People are different, learn from it and stop being ignorant. Your are not born with culture.
I don't have time to cover everything now, but here is where we have a problem of definition

You talk as if your very own diversity has nothing to do with the environment you grew up in.
I assure you, if you spoke Mandarin instead of English, you would be different in many ways (not only through the language you use).

Almost every linguists, sociologist, anthropologists I,ve read disagree with you (believe me I've read a lot...) on how language is not related to culture or to diversity. Psychologists have written studies on how languages influence the way you'll perform certain tasks.

Poems for instance are cultural productions. Poems use and play with words (and with languages) to create symbolic and emotional meanings. This is a highly cultural phenomenon. You can't easily translate poems. They lose something in translation. These diversities in poetry, these different textures, this richness in poetry couldn't be expressed if everyone spoke the same language.
For instance, in French, every object has a genre. This can lead to all kinds of cultural representations, that will be harder to convey in a language where objects don't have genres.

Culture doesn't mean being labeled. Culture is not a category. You're deluding yourself if you think the cultural environment and the familly culture you grew up in had no effect on who you are.
You're denying your very own subjectivity.

EDIT: When I talk about us "here" liking hockey. I was refering to people on these boards, not to Canada.

Since I'm still not sure you understand the concept I use when I talk about culture, I'll add this example: There is not a single (fixed and monolithic) canadian culture, just like there is not a single french (france) culture, just like there is not a single Quebec culture.

Culture does not come in prepackaged kits. Stop equating culture with nationality or ethnicity. Your familly has its own private culture (familly tradition at Christmas, at thanksgiving, etc.). When you hang out with your group of close friends you can sort of develop (think about teenagers who invent words) a sort of cultural common ground with them. For instance, in some social groups of friends, it is normal to talk freely about sex. In others, it won't. Have you ever felt that some groups of close friends share a similar sense of humor. Cultural. They also often share values. Cultural.

For instance, in the underground punk rock scene , there are some cultural codes which makes this scenes a rather restrictive club. Local music band who charged too much money were especially frowned upon. Other scenes may have a much more inclusive culture. It depends.

Have you ever heard the French expression "culture d'entreprise"? Indeed, companies have cultures too. In some companies, initiative, equality and personal autonomy is highly valued and rewarded. In others, respect of hierarchy is more important, etc.
Even weather produces culture. Hockey is cultural. Every sports is cultural.

You have to face it humans are inherently cultural. We produce culture. Every interaction with another human being is cultural. Our perception of reality is cultural. You can't escape it. Your subjectivity is cultural.

By using culture as a concept, nothing has to be categorized into tidy little boxes. We should never reify culture. This having been said, we cannot act like culture is not at the foundation of how every human perceives what ever is placed in front of him.

I just wish you would read about traditionnal societies where private property did not exist. If you were to explain to these (sometimes gone) society what private property is, they'd probably have a hard time understanding because such a concept is so alien to their cultural perception of reality. I wish you'd read about Australian Aboriginals who perceive the territory, the time and the fauna around them through a very special mythological construction (dreamtime). I have a very hard time understanding this cultural construction. One of my friend is doing a PhD thesis on this and even she has a hard time understanding it completely. It is sooo different from the way we are used to think.

P.S. I don't label myself because I recognize that who I am and how I perceive reality is function of the cultural influences I voluntarily and involuntarily absorb from around me.

Last edited by Unspoken: 10-19-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old
10-19-2009, 06:28 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Agreed.

I find it disgusting that we have immigrants coming into this country, and don't ask me HOW... They cannot string together 2 sentences in English OR French. I am not racist. I am *not* happy with the way our Government folds for certain groups of people.

To me if you cant speak, read or write fluidly and comprehensively in English or atleast French (our two national languages) they should not be allowed in our country. Too much is done to protect the foreign minorities and not enough to protect our own culture.
I'm not even going to read what people have possible replied to you so far, but I'm gonna have to point out that you have no idea what is involved in an immigration test, do you? Nor do you understand economics, human rights or how many generations removed a modern day immigrant is from people like (assumptions, but likely true):
- ribeiro's family (the franco saviour at one point btw)
- italian canadians/americans
- americans (they aren't Canadian fyi)
- the jewish population of Montreal (integral to the city's background and culture)
- I could go on

seriously, what is the government not doing to protect YOUR (not ours apparently) culture? Please take a trip around the world and also revisit Canada's revised and tightened immigration policies. I'm going to imagine you are not the first homo sapien to live on north american soil, so I don't know where you get the idea that your family was not at some point immigrants who came here for a reason. Please don't go all Jean Perron on us.

PS. People in Ontario and the rest of Canada for the most part can't speak french for **** (except ottawa...maybe 50%) so the whole speak both languages thing should apply to them too right? I can speak both fluently ftr.

Lets just imagine that, in the future, once Asia takes over the world economically, you have to leave Quebec (I did for 5 years after the 96 referendum) and move to a completely different place. Suppose you were made to learn Chinese (and there...you would HAVE to, to get by). Love to see how well you'd do in that situation. I'm proud to be a Montrealer, who speaks French and English, but you're wayyyyy off on your evaluation of immigrants (you can stop hitting up Shish Taouk and Shawarma, or the take out Chinese if you feel so strong). It's pithy and narrow-minded. Your hockey insights are usually fine, I guess.

Last edited by habtastic: 10-19-2009 at 06:39 PM.
habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
Noooooooooooooooooo

She was the love of my life ! So cute....

Damn....
On the show they mentioned that she goes to club opera , so you can see her there ;-).

Maybe she was just going there for one event in particular, im not sure

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Gary320

I take it back, the new girl is actually not bad. She seems smart compared to the other, and pays more attention to the guys.. She isnt afraid to interrupt Page, which is awesome. Plus she actually takes questions that are interesting too..
She is a huge upgrade over the other girl.

Old
10-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I take it back, the new girl is actually not bad. She seems smart compared to the other, and pays more attention to the guys.. She isnt afraid to interrupt Page, which is awesome. Plus she actually takes questions that are interesting too..
She is a huge upgrade over the other girl.
Evelyne, the new girl, is very good. She talks way better than the other girl.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Yes, alot better. I like her facial expressions when she asks questions. I know it may sound weird, but it shows that she's involved and she cares about the questions. Compared to the other girl who just read what she had to read.

Old
10-19-2009, 10:47 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I don't feel Culture truly exists in a society as a whole. Society is made from a mesh of different cultures...Everyone has their own contributions to add to society and in that we build our culture.

I really hate the idea that the government is expected to do something to preserve our culture. Why? Is it so weak that it will just disappear into the world? I don't think that way. I know that what's important to me, my family, and my heritage, is going to be passed down to my children. And if I do my job correctly, they will feel the same way and continue to pass it on. It's nobody's responsibility but mine. Not the government, not society, nobody except me.

The government can let it whoever they want, regardless of the language or heritage. It's not going to change the core values of what I consider my "culture" and if it ever did, it's because I'm taking the good parts of other cultures and adding it to mine.

I look at the Greek communities and Italian communities in this city and I see a very strong preservation of culture despite no protection from the government or anybody.

So when it comes down to it, the responsibility lies on people, individually, to ensure a culture lives on. Nobody else.

It shouldn't matter if the government lets people in who speak a different language or have different values or customs. Unless of course, you have a weak culture that cannot sustain itself. If the next generations don't feel it's important to sustain the culture, then you obviously didn't do a good job of making them understand.

Saying things like "the government needs to do a better job protecting our culture" is basically admitting either a culture is weak to begin with, or that you're too lazy to do a good job making it live on.

I embrace diversity. It's not going to make my culture go away. It's going to make my culture grow. It makes it better.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Unspoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I don't feel Culture truly exists in a society as a whole. Society is made from a mesh of different cultures...Everyone has their own contributions to add to society and in that we build our culture.

I really hate the idea that the government is expected to do something to preserve our culture. Why? Is it so weak that it will just disappear into the world? I don't think that way. I know that what's important to me, my family, and my heritage, is going to be passed down to my children. And if I do my job correctly, they will feel the same way and continue to pass it on. It's nobody's responsibility but mine. Not the government, not society, nobody except me.

The government can let it whoever they want, regardless of the language or heritage. It's not going to change the core values of what I consider my "culture" and if it ever did, it's because I'm taking the good parts of other cultures and adding it to mine.

I look at the Greek communities and Italian communities in this city and I see a very strong preservation of culture despite no protection from the government or anybody.

So when it comes down to it, the responsibility lies on people, individually, to ensure a culture lives on. Nobody else.

It shouldn't matter if the government lets people in who speak a different language or have different values or customs. Unless of course, you have a weak culture that cannot sustain itself. If the next generations don't feel it's important to sustain the culture, then you obviously didn't do a good job of making them understand.

Saying things like "the government needs to do a better job protecting our culture" is basically admitting either a culture is weak to begin with, or that you're too lazy to do a good job making it live on.

I embrace diversity. It's not going to make my culture go away. It's going to make my culture grow. It makes it better.
I agree with 90% of what you said. I agree especially with welcoming immigrants.

However, you have to be aware that disappearance of languages is possible. It has happened, it is happening (can't remember the exact statistic, but there are a few languages disappearing each year in the world. I think it's sad.) and it may happen in Quebec in the distant future.
I think French needs protection in the Northamerican context. Individual responsibility has proven to be insufficient.
Otherwise, it will disappear. Actually when you consider the context (330 millions english speakers, 7 millions francophones) and place yourself on an historical perspective (at least a few hundred of years), it is rather likely that French in North America will end up disappearing no matter what.

Most immigrant communities end up losing their language in a matter of a few generations. This may be ok for immigrants, because, after all, they chose to live in a place that spoke a different language. But Francophones are not immigrants in Canada (unless you argue that everyone is an immigrant except the first nation). Yet, I personally know many Canadians outside Quebec who almost completely lost the French they had learned from their parents when they were young. They went to english high schools. It was not cool to speak french there. They became ashamed of their french heritage, refused to use it at home despite their parents' urging and they ended up losing most or all of it.
Classic tales, I've been told or read about on numerous occasions. This is how languages cease to be passed down from generations to generations.

The death of languages is a sad thing. Just like the disappearance of many Indian communities in the 19th century was a sad thing.

The world is already much less diverse than it was a hundred years ago. Cultural diversity has to be promoted. Diversity will continue to decrease if small and weak cultures continue disappearing the way they do right now.
Promoting cultural diversity means protecting small cultures.

Old
10-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

Just wanted to say that this is only true in cities like Montreal. The Multi-ethnicity is what makes this city so rich.

But I'm Lebanese, and over there, culture isn't a mesh of different cultures from different nationalities coming together.
You could argue that Lebanon was a french colony at some point, therefore might have a bit of French influence. But the Lebanese culture is still unique.
Sure, there's political and religious differences, but the culture base remains the same.

Over here, I don't see much culture because there's too many different ones.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
And she is quite hot too! I didn't watch the show but I'm sure that she is pretty good, she did this show called "callTV" where she was pretty much talking alone and about nothing for an hour and a half.

It's kinda off-topic but they should seriously fire Jean Pagé...what a fat dumbass...

Last week he said : Could you imagine that Kyle Cumiskey scored a goal against the Habs...KYLE CUMISKEY...who played for the... the KELOWNA ROCKETS! Could you imagine?

I mean as the animator of this show you should know that the Kelowna Rockets have been one of the best junior team of the decade. They are not part of a beer league. Playing with the Rockets is basically like playing for Rimouski or Boston College.

He is so stupid, he always has those popular opinions like "Why didn't they call up Bergeron" etc. but he has basically no arguments.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:29 AM

The new girl is very ****able.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
The new girl is very ****able.
She's very cute. I watch her doing that Call-TV and shes quite good, its not easy to talk 120 minutes non-stop and LIVE but she did make that infamous mistake about mispelling "Python" with "piton" but other than that, she's a great talker. She's in the business for quite some time, she worked for RDS for a while too if I remember correctly.

Back to the subject. I am sick about the french media saying that all the quebecers that plays for the Habs has the "CH" on the chest and gives 110% every games. Im sorry but I dont see Latendresse and Lapierre giving their heart out so far. Tanguay was soft and floating in some game last year.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Last week he said : Could you imagine that Kyle Cumiskey scored a goal against the Habs...KYLE CUMISKEY...who played for the... the KELOWNA ROCKETS! Could you imagine?

I mean as the animator of this show you should know that the Kelowna Rockets have been one of the best junior team of the decade. They are not part of a beer league. Playing with the Rockets is basically like playing for Rimouski or Boston College.
That's not even half of it. He said it like he was playing junior last year, and then started about how they gave him a chance to play.

But he's 23 years old and has been playing games at the NHL level for four years.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:21 AM
MontrealHabs

The new girl is hot, nothing else matters.

MontrealHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:27 AM
Garo

She's ok I guess, but I still don't know why she's there.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
I don't have time to cover everything now, but here is where we have a problem of definition

You talk as if your very own diversity has nothing to do with the environment you grew up in.
I assure you, if you spoke Mandarin instead of English, you would be different in many ways (not only through the language you use).

Almost every linguists, sociologist, anthropologists I,ve read disagree with you (believe me I've read a lot...) on how language is not related to culture or to diversity. Psychologists have written studies on how languages influence the way you'll perform certain tasks.

Poems for instance are cultural productions. Poems use and play with words (and with languages) to create symbolic and emotional meanings. This is a highly cultural phenomenon. You can't easily translate poems. They lose something in translation. These diversities in poetry, these different textures, this richness in poetry couldn't be expressed if everyone spoke the same language.
For instance, in French, every object has a genre. This can lead to all kinds of cultural representations, that will be harder to convey in a language where objects don't have genres.

Culture doesn't mean being labeled. Culture is not a category. You're deluding yourself if you think the cultural environment and the familly culture you grew up in had no effect on who you are.
You're denying your very own subjectivity.

EDIT: When I talk about us "here" liking hockey. I was refering to people on these boards, not to Canada.

Since I'm still not sure you understand the concept I use when I talk about culture, I'll add this example: There is not a single (fixed and monolithic) canadian culture, just like there is not a single french (france) culture, just like there is not a single Quebec culture.

Culture does not come in prepackaged kits. Stop equating culture with nationality or ethnicity. Your familly has its own private culture (familly tradition at Christmas, at thanksgiving, etc.). When you hang out with your group of close friends you can sort of develop (think about teenagers who invent words) a sort of cultural common ground with them. For instance, in some social groups of friends, it is normal to talk freely about sex. In others, it won't. Have you ever felt that some groups of close friends share a similar sense of humor. Cultural. They also often share values. Cultural.

For instance, in the underground punk rock scene , there are some cultural codes which makes this scenes a rather restrictive club. Local music band who charged too much money were especially frowned upon. Other scenes may have a much more inclusive culture. It depends.

Have you ever heard the French expression "culture d'entreprise"? Indeed, companies have cultures too. In some companies, initiative, equality and personal autonomy is highly valued and rewarded. In others, respect of hierarchy is more important, etc.
Even weather produces culture. Hockey is cultural. Every sports is cultural.

You have to face it humans are inherently cultural. We produce culture. Every interaction with another human being is cultural. Our perception of reality is cultural. You can't escape it. Your subjectivity is cultural.

By using culture as a concept, nothing has to be categorized into tidy little boxes. We should never reify culture. This having been said, we cannot act like culture is not at the foundation of how every human perceives what ever is placed in front of him.

I just wish you would read about traditionnal societies where private property did not exist. If you were to explain to these (sometimes gone) society what private property is, they'd probably have a hard time understanding because such a concept is so alien to their cultural perception of reality. I wish you'd read about Australian Aboriginals who perceive the territory, the time and the fauna around them through a very special mythological construction (dreamtime). I have a very hard time understanding this cultural construction. One of my friend is doing a PhD thesis on this and even she has a hard time understanding it completely. It is sooo different from the way we are used to think.

P.S. I don't label myself because I recognize that who I am and how I perceive reality is function of the cultural influences I voluntarily and involuntarily absorb from around me.
Think you're fighting a losing battle (not war), the person is so entrenched in Canadian (Western Culture) he/she doesn't realize it. A Prime example of such, the claim he/she doesn't need to live by certain rules (I would assume that would be Law, traffic laws, no peeing in the public etc etc) those are set by the dominant Culture and people live with them without much thought.

Culture is as diverse as there are people in this world, Greed is the root of all evil not Culture.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
Think you're fighting a losing battle (not war), the person is so entrenched in Canadian (Western Culture) he/she doesn't realize it. A Prime example of such, the claim he/she doesn't need to live by certain rules (I would assume that would be Law, traffic laws, no peeing in the public etc etc) those are set by the dominant Culture and people live with them without much thought.

Culture is as diverse as there are people in this world, Greed is the root of all evil not Culture.
I'm not canadian, nor do I follow western culture, but thanks for assuming, God knows assumptions and speculation are always great! Culture is overrated. People who cling on to it as though death is around the corner is because their lives are meaningless and boring and they have to feel important in life somehow. So what you're french, greek, english jewish, Itlian...am I going to respect you or disrespect you more because of it? No, I don;t care who you are ultimately.

Old
10-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
She's ok I guess, but I still don't know why she's there.
Cute, hot and always smiling. Thats enough for me.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote