HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jean Perron on l'attaque à 5

Old
10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Unspoken

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I'm not canadian, nor do I follow western culture, but thanks for assuming, God knows assumptions and speculation are always great! Culture is overrated. People who cling on to it as though death is around the corner is because their lives are meaningless and boring and they have to feel important in life somehow. So what you're french, greek, english jewish, Itlian...am I going to respect you or disrespect you more because of it? No, I don;t care who you are ultimately.
First, you don't "follow culture". You're part of many cultures, whether you like it or not and even whether you're aware of it or not.

This is getting frustrating. You don't understand a word I'm saying or you refuse to read my messages.

We don't have the same definition of culture.

Unless, you start realizing that we're talking about two very different things here, this discussion won't get us anywhere.

Culture doesn't mean being french, canadian or greek or any other nationality. Not at all. Your culture is always a blend of different influences, not a monolithic culture simply based on citizenship.

Your culture is based on the NUMEROUS AND DIVERSE influences you absorbed through your whole life. These influences shaped the way you perceive and interact with the outside world.

Your culture is influenced by your family, by the schools you went to, by the languages you speak, by the sports you like, by the neighbourhood you grew up in, by the film you watch, by the religion your parents told you to believe in, by the music you listen to, by the friendships you develop, by the girlfriends you had, by the radio station you listen to, etc
Heck, culture is shaped by the fact that you have a tv and a computer.
Indeed, you would not see the world in the same way if you grew up and lived all your life with an amazonian tribe.

Another less extreme example, if you grew up in a ghetto, your culture won't be the same as someone who grew up living numerous places around the world (one of my friend spent most of his youth following his parents in many countries. He lived in Mexico, in Tunisia, in France, in Japan (and I'm forgetting a few others)***.
He was influenced by the culture (food, music, language, hobbies, way of living) of all these places.
***A disclaimer here, I used the name of the countries to describe where he lived. These are category. However, these political categories don't have a cultural equivalency.
The cultures of the people in Mexico city's outer rims is not the same as the one in the center of the city. It is not the same as the cultures of people in Yucatan (who retained many of their mayan tradition). Same with France, there is not a single monolithic french culture. Go in Normandy, then, go in Marseille, go in Alsace, go in Paris' suburbia, go in a small village near the Alps. You'll very likely encounter very different ways of living, different food specialities, even different languages (Brittany, Alscace-Lorraine).
In Spain, go to Barcelona and then go to Madrid and you'll see plenty of cultural differences.
The fact that these cultural differences exist doesn't mean that we shouldn't consider all consider ourselves as human.

But, it is foolish to denounce these cultural differences as mere labels.
I even think it is insulting. The fact that people in Spain usually eat between 9h00 pm and 11h00 pm is not a label. This is how they live. This is the cultural practice they grew up in.

Do you watch movies?
Do you listen to music?
Do you read books?
Do you play sports?
Do you eat?
Do you celebrate any holiday?
Do you dance?
Do you play an instrument
Etc.
As soon as you do any of these things, you've got a culture. How boring is that?
The only way you don't have a culture to the same extent as everyone else is if you'd live on a desert island.
Even then, you'd still create your very own reality and your cultural representations of the world around you. (Just think of Tom Hanks discussing with his Wilson volleyball in Cast Away).

The fact that humans are social creatures also makes them cultural creatures. Whether you like it or not, you have a culture and you'll pass on a very good part of it to your children.

If that doesn't clear things up for you, I give up. If you want to, I can recommend you a few great books by social scientists on the subject.

In the end, you can't tell me who you are if you don't mention anything related to culture. It is that pervasive.
So, for the sake of demonstration, who are you?

P.S. you may say to people here that you "don;t care who you are ultimately", but that is not a great sign of open-mindedness. This means you're not interested in other people. This kind of places a boundary between you and other people...

Last edited by Unspoken: 10-20-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Unspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Slick Nick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Alright, so it wouldn't be disrespectful/ignorant for myself to refer to kovalev or malkin as belarussian then?

Whatever the 'real' or 'ethnic' boundaries are, the kid is from Belarus and he plays for their national team. For someone who is supposedly an expert on our team, it's disrespectful to call him russian when he isn't.

When people from halfway around the world refer to canadians as americans because 'they don't see the difference', it's the same thing. I'm sure a lot of people on this board can relate.
Is there a difference between Canadians and Americans? Our prime minister seems more American than their president....

The diffrence with your exemple is that Belarus and Ukraine only exist as countires since 1992. They were both part of the russian emipre for hundreds of years before that.The east and the south of Ukraine is predominantly russian and urban Belarus is aswell. Just like northern Kazakhstan is more russian than Kazakh, and calling Alexander Perezhogin a Kazakh is absolute non-sense. Calling Andrei Kostitsyn a russian is not very disrespectfull, particularly when you know that he asked the Habs to spell his name according to russian grammer rules... remember, he was drafted as Kastsytsyn.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote