HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sjs - Van

Old
10-16-2009, 11:09 PM
harro92

vCash: 500
Sjs - Van

SJS

Kent Huskins 1.7m 2yrs
Patrick Marleau 6.1m UFA
Torrey Mitchell 1.36m 3yrs

for
Van

Christian Ehrhoff 3.1m 2yrs
Pavol Demitra 4m UFA
Ryan Kesler 1.75 RFA

SJS Cap Hit: 8 .85M
VAN Cap Hit: 9.16

harro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 11:13 PM
ThorntonFan19

Canucks don't do this

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 11:13 PM
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
No thanks from Vancouver POV Kesler just brings to much to the table.

33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 11:20 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by harro92 View Post
SJS

Kent Huskins 1.7m 2yrs
Patrick Marleau 6.1m UFA

for
Van

Pavol Demitra 4m UFA
Ryan Kesler 1.75 RFA

*boggle*

Really?

Marleau has a NTC, Doug won't ask, that has been made crystal clear by both parties. He's also the most complete player on the team.

I thought we were done with this stuff, let alone from a sharks fan.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Skelator 786*

kesler is the same player marleau is except cheaper and younger. huskins is an overpaid bottom pairing dman and mitchell is an overpaid bottom 6 player.

we'll keep demitra and ehrhoff (who has played well) thank you.

Skelator 786* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 11:35 PM
MTechnik
vroommm

vCash: 105
Quote:
SJS

Kent Huskins 1.7m 2yrs
Patrick Marleau 6.1m UFA

for
Van

Pavol Demitra 4m UFA
Ryan Kesler 1.75 RFA

Canucks don't trade Kesler because he's the back bone of the team and Sharks already have Pavelski who is similar.

Ehrhoff is currently Canucks no.1 dman and PPQB he's not going anywhere especially at 3.1 million.

Demitra is injured and Canucks can't afford Marleau.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 12:14 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelator 786 View Post
kesler is the same player marleau is except cheaper and younger. huskins is an overpaid bottom pairing dman and mitchell is an overpaid bottom 6 player.

we'll keep demitra and ehrhoff (who has played well) thank you.
I would buy Kesler is Pavelski with more grit, but Marleau come on. They are both good two-way players, but their styles are really different.

I love Mitchell and find his contract pretty reasonable. I would have liked him to get a cheaper, shorter term contract and am not happy with recent injuries, but for everything he brings there is no reason to complain about 1.36 mill.

No argument on Huskins.

That said, there is no way Vancouver trades Kesler, and Marleau is going nowhere.

Just because it bares repeating, Vancouver robbed us blind on the Ehrhoff deal. I can't belive Doug couldn't find a team that would have offered more for Ehrhoff and been out of conference. You mean to tell me that none of NYI, Carolina, Atlanta, Washington, or Tampa offered their 2nd? I know Lukowich lowered the value, but it shouldn't have been by that much.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 12:20 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Vancouver gets totally robbed in this one.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 01:29 AM
BPD

Quote:
SJS

Kent Huskins 1.7m 2yrs
Patrick Marleau 6.1m UFA

for
Van

Pavol Demitra 4m UFA
Ryan Kesler 1.75 RFA

So let me get this straight.

SJS trade 2 pretty good physical D-men and a perennial 75 point guy who also happens to be their only playoff performer to a team that not only doesn't need defensemen but in all likelihood is the biggest obstacle to SJS making the finals (besides themselves, obviously).

In return, they get THEIR OWN FORMER DEFENDER, a cap liability that is way over the hill, and Trevor Linden 2.0

Yeah, this one works.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 01:54 AM
harro92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
So let me get this straight.

SJS trade 2 pretty good physical D-men and a perennial 75 point guy who also happens to be their only playoff performer to a team that not only doesn't need defensemen but in all likelihood is the biggest obstacle to SJS making the finals (besides themselves, obviously).

In return, they get THEIR OWN FORMER DEFENDER, a cap liability that is way over the hill, and Trevor Linden 2.0

Yeah, this one works.
What Are You On About

harro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 02:27 AM
keslehr*

So, send Ehrhoff back after 6 games, lose Kesler and get back an underachiever, a salary dump and a checker.

NOOOOOOOOOPE.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 02:39 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkteen View Post
So, send Ehrhoff back after 6 games, lose Kesler and get back an underachiever, a salary dump and a checker.

NOOOOOOOOOPE.
Marleau is anything but an underachiever, he's by far the best player in the deal.

That being said, neither side has a reason to make that deal. The Canucks got Ehrhoff for a reason, Kesler is a very important part of the team, and will continue to be one in the future. Demitra may be injured right now, but he's still a capable player.

On the other hand, Huskins hasn't shown anything and Mitchell had some very unfortunate injuries over the last year, but trading Marleau is completely out of the question.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Washington Capitals

Pretty sure Vancouver wouldn't do this. No way.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 03:07 AM
Pinkfloyd

Vancouver would do this deal in a heartbeat if it were actually available. I understand the love for Ryan Kesler but Patrick Marleau is a better player and the best player in this deal. It's an interesting concept if it could actually happen but since Marleau has an NTC and won't be asked to waive it, it's a non-starter.

Upgrading Huskins to Ehrhoff would be brilliant. Moving Marleau and Mitchell for Kesler and Demitra would be an awful swap. Marleau is the Sharks offensive depth and is the Sharks all-purpose player. Kesler could replace Marleau on the defensive side of things but either he learns to play wing on this team which would be tough or he becomes a 3rd line center again. Either way, the replacement isn't being properly utilized to make it worth the swap. And Demitra would be useless on the Sharks if he was able to stay on the ice.

Vancouver would waive Huskins as they wouldn't need him as they would still have Mitchell, Edler, Salo, Bieksa, Schneider, O'Brien, and Rome as an extra. They would dump a redundant Demitra, add a 35 goal scorer to their lineup, and a decent 3rd line center with speed, energy, and grit. They would also save about a million off the cap if they waive Huskins.

However, Kesler is one of the more overvalued players on the Canucks because of the fans' justified attachment to him. They would never go for this just on principle. It never comes to a question of value when a trade involving Kesler is brought up.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:58 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

the trade just doesn't make any sense for Vancouver.

First of all Marleau is a fantastic player, and all things being equal, he definitely upgrades the team over Kesler. Kesler is not at the same level overall... Marleau is a #1 center in this league and is paid like one, while Kesler is a 2nd line player - and should be paid like one on his next contract.

The problem is that the Canucks already have a #1 center making over $6mill/yr and that's Henrik... with the money they are spending on defense and their goaltending, it doesn't make sense to put that much money on your top 2 centers.

Kesler, on the other hand, is the perfect fit for the team... he is the anti-Sedin - brings all the intangibles that Henrik doesn't, to give you a solid 1-2 punch down the middle. Henrik is a top playmaking center in the NHL, while Kesler is a Selke finalist who brings a lot of grit and sandpaper to the lineup (and unlike Mitchell, can actually produce at a 2nd line level).

Under a salary cap, keeping Henrik-Kesler as your 1-2 centers just makes more sense than Henrik-Marleau... the Canucks simply couldn't keep the depth they have from goal out when you allocate $12.2 mill to your top 2 centers.

and that doesn't even touch on the fact that Marleau is a UFA after this year, and the team may not even be able to afford retaining him... while Kesler has already made comments about taking less than market value to stay on this team so they can build the proper depth around to be competitive.

because of all those reasons, a trade like this doesn't make sense for Vancouver.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 06:03 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

You really want Error-hoff back, dont you?

I think Demitra is not what the Sharks want, especially given his $4 mil cap hit. I'd prefer another defenseman, other than Ehrhoff or Luko, of course.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 06:50 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
You really want Error-hoff back, dont you?

I think Demitra is not what the Sharks want, especially given his $4 mil cap hit. I'd prefer another defenseman, other than Ehrhoff or Luko, of course.
why didnt the sharks just keep Luko? n let Huskins walk?
this trade makes no sense really.

How bout Edler for Boyle?

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 06:59 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
I would buy Kesler is Pavelski with more grit, but Marleau come on. They are both good two-way players, but their styles are really different.

I love Mitchell and find his contract pretty reasonable. I would have liked him to get a cheaper, shorter term contract and am not happy with recent injuries, but for everything he brings there is no reason to complain about 1.36 mill.

No argument on Huskins.

That said, there is no way Vancouver trades Kesler, and Marleau is going nowhere.

Just because it bares repeating, Vancouver robbed us blind on the Ehrhoff deal. I can't belive Doug couldn't find a team that would have offered more for Ehrhoff and been out of conference. You mean to tell me that none of NYI, Carolina, Atlanta, Washington, or Tampa offered their 2nd? I know Lukowich lowered the value, but it shouldn't have been by that much.
Points wise Kesler and Pavs are close but it shows that you don't watch him much (dont blame you, center ice is pretty big rip off). Kesler is all about speed and a decent pair of hands, Pavs is more of a tricky guy who has average speed and relies on his amazing hockey sense. Marleau >>> Kesler though

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post

The Sharks didn't keep Luko because Doug Wilson sees Huskins as more than what he is. I assume he watched Huskins practice and thought he'd be a great player for them. Unfortunately, he rarely does anything good in the game.

Kent Huskins was a huge mistake. He overpaid him by twice what he should be earning and it cost them an extra 4th rounder to keep him. This mistake was compounded by then needing to dump Ehrhoff and Lukowich. To date, it hasn't panned out and there's nothing to go on to believe that it ever will.

Boyle for Edler? lol

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 07:43 PM
hockeyball

Quote:

rofl.

Let's just be clear here. Boyle is a top 10 defensemen in the league in many people's opinion (including mine).

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 07:46 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Points wise Kesler and Pavs are close but it shows that you don't watch him much (dont blame you, center ice is pretty big rip off). Kesler is all about speed and a decent pair of hands, Pavs is more of a tricky guy who has average speed and relies on his amazing hockey sense. Marleau >>> Kesler though
I was referring more to the fact that they are both two-way forwards, with Kesler having more grit. Similar offensive ability, but I agree they get the job done in different ways. However, Kesler is closer to Pavelski than Marleau IMO. Also, I think you may be shelling Kesler's hockey sense and hands short, they just aren't on Pavelski's level, much like Pavelski is not as fast as Kesler.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:22 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:

Both teams don't do that. Have you seen Boyle's contract? We can't afford it.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:11 AM
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Vancouver would do this deal in a heartbeat if it were actually available. I understand the love for Ryan Kesler but Patrick Marleau is a better player and the best player in this deal. It's an interesting concept if it could actually happen but since Marleau has an NTC and won't be asked to waive it, it's a non-starter.

Upgrading Huskins to Ehrhoff would be brilliant. Moving Marleau and Mitchell for Kesler and Demitra would be an awful swap. Marleau is the Sharks offensive depth and is the Sharks all-purpose player. Kesler could replace Marleau on the defensive side of things but either he learns to play wing on this team which would be tough or he becomes a 3rd line center again. Either way, the replacement isn't being properly utilized to make it worth the swap. And Demitra would be useless on the Sharks if he was able to stay on the ice.

Vancouver would waive Huskins as they wouldn't need him as they would still have Mitchell, Edler, Salo, Bieksa, Schneider, O'Brien, and Rome as an extra. They would dump a redundant Demitra, add a 35 goal scorer to their lineup, and a decent 3rd line center with speed, energy, and grit. They would also save about a million off the cap if they waive Huskins.

However, Kesler is one of the more overvalued players on the Canucks because of the fans' justified attachment to him. They would never go for this just on principle. It never comes to a question of value when a trade involving Kesler is brought up.
First of all Vancouver wouldn't even consider this offer and to say they would do it in a heart beat is irrelevant.Also the canucks wouldn't trade Kesler straight up for Marleau Kesler's just entering his prime ans already has a 2 20 plus goal seasons and a Selke nomination.Also saying a Marleau,Mitchell for Demitra and Kesler would be a horrible swap is just ignorance Kesler and Demitra had a combined 112 points and also had a selke nomination and both of them comnined make less then Marleau.

The canucks have no need to dump Demitra's salary he's a legit top 6 forward that can score 50 points plus when healthy.Mitchell wouldn't even be on the Canucks 3 rd line he would be at best the 4 th line center who would play on the 2 PK unit and lastly saying canucks fans over value Kesler is also irrelevant Kesler is a young two way forward that is just entering his prime who already has a Selke nomination.SAo essentially the Canucks trade there MVP from last year a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenceman for a Top 6 forward that chokes in the playoffs a 3 rd / fourth liner and a defenceman the wouldn't even crack are top 8 Canucks laugh and hang up the phone.

33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:54 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

No one has even mentioned that the Canucks wouldn't want to lose Ehrhoff either.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:07 AM
medgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Both teams don't do that. Have you seen Boyle's contract? We can't afford it.
lol, you're kidding right? If its on the table, the canucks make it work, Period. Probably means dumping Demitra, maybe trading bieksa long term, but Dan Boyle is most likely a Team Canada guy and is easily a top ten defenseman in this league.

medgett is offline   Reply With Quote