HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick size for kid

Old
10-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Quicktimer

vCash: 500
Stick size for kid

Hello everybody, my cousin has recently started playing hockey (first year) hes currently in Atom and I was just wondering whats the ideal stick size for him , to help with his skating? I always used a stick to a chin but somebody recently told me to put it lower for him?

Thanks

Quicktimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:22 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicktimer View Post
Hello everybody, my cousin has recently started playing hockey (first year) hes currently in Atom and I was just wondering whats the ideal stick size for him , to help with his skating? I always used a stick to a chin but somebody recently told me to put it lower for him?

Thanks
The 'rule of thumb' is for a stick to reach to the nose without skates and to the chin with skates on. However, players who like full control when stickhandling or passing might prefer a shorter stick, while players like d-men who needs a good pokesheck might prefer a longer stick.

Its a ll Personal choice, but for a beginner in atom, I suggest you stick to the rule of thumb

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:26 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicktimer View Post

Thanks
My rule of thumb was lighter stick to the chin if I played forward, heavier stick to the top of the nose (or just under it) if I played defence. Lower sticks will make the player lean a bit more forward which may affect his skating. For some they prefer the lean forward for the added benefit of increased puck handling abilities.

Honestly scrummage around for a few throw away sticks at different heights and let him play a game of pick up or use the different heights in practice. Eventually he'll find the height he prefers.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote