HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricanes @ Devils

Old
10-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikani87 View Post
I was talking about the Carolina Panthers. They stink something awful.

The Canes have the luxury of a much longer season, so they can right the ship (soon hopefully) and make a strong push.
Ah, gotcha. That still throws me. Our two hockey teams hate each other, yet the names are mixed for the NFL. Thought you were calling the Canes that as they've started a bit slow, much as we do EVERY year.

Yeah, the Panthers haven't had a good season. I heard somewhere they may be looking at Quinn, and he's supposedly asked for a trade. Haven't paid a whole lot of attention to them, but Jake didn't look good that first game, but bounced back the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Started hot, then hit a **** stretch like this. But absolutely and I agree with you entirely. I think the ONLY thing that might need to be considered is making a move to get some fresh blood (read: Samson) a shot at this roster. About the only thing that I would be extremely critical over this season is that there are a few players that seem quite complacent about their spot on the roster. That can not stand and a little shakeup to get another prospect/draft pick wouldn't be uncalled for.
I'm sure your GM will make a change where it's needed. He always does. Your team is very well run. Can't stand the Canes, but I like seeing teams in the South do well.

10-17-2009, 10:25 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah, the Panthers haven't had a good season. I heard somewhere they may be looking at Quinn, and he's supposedly asked for a trade. Haven't paid a whole lot of attention to them, but Jake didn't look good that first game, but bounced back the second.
I think I'd give up on them if they picked Quinn up, I've never been sold on him even in college. I mean the Panthers can't do much worse then Delhomme this year (unless you're talking OffTheMarcus Russell), but Quinn is about on par with Jake. Keep the pick and take Jarrett Brown or Dan Lefevour in the 3rd this year IMO. Then again this is now my 3rd season of saying "draft a frigin QB already" wanting Pat White last year and Brohm two years ago.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 1131
So... My two friends and I traveled up here to Jersey on Friday and took in the game tonight at the Rock. Except for the score, we've had an exceptional time. Devils fans were all no problem, and some actually talked hockey with us!

Aaron took a nasty spill all on his own into the boards right in front of where I was standing. He stayed out for the rest of warm ups but must have had some issue with something...

I thought that Sammy and Brindy both had very poor showings I thought. On the empty net goal, Brindy just stood by Zach and watched him put it in. Ward was exceptional and had to make some very difficult saves. I didn't think Marty had even close to the same quality of shots to handle... Coach Mo looked like one very unhappy camper as they were walking out to the bus.

Talked to a couple of Habs fans at the game that came down to see TK. He was their favorite player there and so they came down to watch him play. Other than those two girls I think we spotted maybe 7 or 8 other Canes jerseys...

The Rock is very nice. Lots of spacious room and a neat building. We were amazed at how empty the arena was for a Saturday night. Except for when they got their goal, it was pretty much quiet. The Storm Squad is far and away better than there crew of girls. The other thing that I disliked was the food vendors coming down into the stands selling their food. I know other arenas do that too, but it is so annoying to me.

Talking in the city tomorrow before heading back to NC on Monday. Let's hope the boys find something soon because they're digging a good sized hole we get to climb out of... Cheers all!

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 04:36 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
So... My two friends and I traveled up here to Jersey on Friday and took in the game tonight at the Rock. Except for the score, we've had an exceptional time. Devils fans were all no problem, and some actually talked hockey with us!

Aaron took a nasty spill all on his own into the boards right in front of where I was standing. He stayed out for the rest of warm ups but must have had some issue with something...

I thought that Sammy and Brindy both had very poor showings I thought. On the empty net goal, Brindy just stood by Zach and watched him put it in. Ward was exceptional and had to make some very difficult saves. I didn't think Marty had even close to the same quality of shots to handle... Coach Mo looked like one very unhappy camper as they were walking out to the bus.

Talked to a couple of Habs fans at the game that came down to see TK. He was their favorite player there and so they came down to watch him play. Other than those two girls I think we spotted maybe 7 or 8 other Canes jerseys...

The Rock is very nice. Lots of spacious room and a neat building. We were amazed at how empty the arena was for a Saturday night. Except for when they got their goal, it was pretty much quiet. The Storm Squad is far and away better than there crew of girls. The other thing that I disliked was the food vendors coming down into the stands selling their food. I know other arenas do that too, but it is so annoying to me.

Talking in the city tomorrow before heading back to NC on Monday. Let's hope the boys find something soon because they're digging a good sized hole we get to climb out of... Cheers all!
Glad you enjoyed Jersey. Usually we average anywhere from 14k to about 15 and a half up until spring time then the building usually fills up no matter what. Plus going head to head with the Yankees this week isn't going to help us in any regard. Much agreed on the Storm Squad nothing beats southern women.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Quote:
The other thing that I disliked was the food vendors coming down into the stands selling their food. I know other arenas do that too, but it is so annoying to me.
I am right here with you on that. It seems like more arenas do it than don't, so I guess we are fortunate that they don't here.

10-18-2009, 08:46 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

It doesn't drive me quite as crazy at football or baseball games where there's usually not as much going on. But at hockey and college hoops games? **** that.

So yeah, 3rded.

Last edited by DaveG: 10-18-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old
10-18-2009, 09:24 AM
QuitStaaling

Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
This team is soooo painful to watch. I was certain this season would be a disaster after going to the ECF last season. Happens every other year. JR becomes complacent after a playoff run and signs grizzled old vets to make us a contender. To make matters worse, he continues the trend of bringing back players (I.E. Ward, Cole, Mo, etc.)

Everybody says it and it will never happen but we need the kids up here damnit. Bring up Samson to play with Staal. This team is a perpetual experiment anyway so what would it hurt?

The act of NOT getting Staal his scoring winger may be the biggest missed opportunity in franchise history.

I'm done......

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:35 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

I'm waiting for this coming offseason for the scoring winger. With what's expected cap wise and the players we have coming off ours it's the perfect opportunity. The issue is if he decides to do it on the cheap or not... I'm afraid we all know the answer to that one too.

Old
10-18-2009, 10:00 AM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
I'm waiting for this coming offseason for the scoring winger. With what's expected cap wise and the players we have coming off ours it's the perfect opportunity. The issue is if he decides to do it on the cheap or not... I'm afraid we all know the answer to that one too.

Yes we do. He'll bring back Justin Williams.

Old
10-18-2009, 10:10 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
I'm afraid we all know the answer to that one too.
Zach Boychuk.

It's early but i don't see JR going after big name. Eventually Kobasew or Ladd (edit: I forget Ponikarovsky. He reminds me of Whitney. Underrated player with not bad defensive skills, good playmaker. I'm for this signing eventually but he's typical Rangers sign ). Maybe i'm the only but i don't want to see this team resign Whitney, Ward, Wallin and Walker. They're great caniacs, good player, good mans, i love everyone of them but it's time for little rebuild i think. I'm for resign for Cullen honestly. He's ideal #2 and i don't see who can take this spot for next season. Sutter is not ready for # 2. He will play at least one year on 3rd line. Corvo will ask for too much imo, maybe 3,5-4,5. He don't deserve this money.
This team is old. This team don't have power. Get younger, get faster, JR. Brings Boychuk and Sutter and maybe one or two Albanys who make really good impression. See free agents and make's good deal. It's too early like i said but... or maybe if we are not in position to make playoffs/ to battle for spot, in deadline trade our warriors (Whitney, Corvo, Walker, Ward, Wallin) for something younger.

Edit 2. I forget Samsonov. Absolutely useless player. Get rid of him too.

Last edited by imayagainknowanson: 10-18-2009 at 10:15 AM.
imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:27 AM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Zach Boychuk.

It's early but i don't see JR going after big name. Eventually Kobasew or Ladd. Maybe i'm the only but i don't want to see this team resign Whitney, Ward, Wallin and Walker. They're great caniacs, good player, good mans, i love everyone of them but it's time for little rebuild i think. I'm for resign for Cullen honestly. He's ideal #2 and i don't see who can take this spot for next season. Sutter is not ready for # 2. He will play at least one year on 3rd line. Corvo will ask for too much imo, maybe 3,5-4,5. He don't deserve this money.
This team is old. This team don't have power. Get younger, get faster, JR. Brings Boychuk and Sutter and maybe one or two Albanys who make really good impression. See free agents and make's good deal. It's too early like i said but... or maybe if we are not in position to make playoffs/ to battle for spot, in deadline trade our warriors (Whitney, Corvo, Walker, Ward, Wallin) for something younger.

Our forward lines next season:

Cole - Staal - Ruutu
Samsonov - Brindy - Boychuk
Bowman - Sutter - LaRose
Conboy - Jokinen - TKO

I agree with your trades at the deadline. Those guys will bring in Rat replacements. The roster above will (should) be in place before the season is over.

Old
10-18-2009, 11:06 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Not sure I see Jokinen on the 4th line or us shipping out Cullen, but otherwise I agree. That wouldn't be a bad plan for the deadline if things keep up at this pace.

I'm hopeful that the lines next year look something like this:

Frolov-Staal-Cole
Jokinen-Boychuk-Ruutu
Samsonov-Sutter-LaRose
Blanchard-Brindy-TKO

As much as I'd like to make room for Samson or Bowman on the roster next year we have too many long term contracts for redundant or rapidly declining players right now. If we can get a return on a trade for Samsonov I say we should go for it.

Old
10-18-2009, 01:27 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitStaaling View Post
The act of NOT getting Staal his scoring winger may be the biggest missed opportunity in franchise history.

I'm done......
Agreed. I can't fathom why we have done so little to get Staal a top flight scoring winger to play with.

I wouldn't mind seeing any of Boychuk, Bowman, Sutter come up for a quick run sometime soon with Cole out. It's certainly not time to panic, but I'd like to get a look at them.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:59 PM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
Agreed. I can't fathom why we have done so little to get Staal a top flight scoring winger to play with.

I wouldn't mind seeing any of Boychuk, Bowman, Sutter come up for a quick run sometime soon with Cole out. It's certainly not time to panic, but I'd like to get a look at them.

I would as well. At this point, it would be way more interesting seeing those three in action more than wondering if the Isles first win will be against us. Which, BTW, I do believe will happen. The decisions by mangement are old school and lame brained.

Old
10-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

This team is just awful... We have a bunch of people that just shoot the puck at the net and hope to miss the goalie... No shotmakers or creative players at all... I was so mad when we wasted $3m on Cole instead of spending $5mil on a talented winger

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

In the early portions of last season I was incredibly frustrated with the team because we seemed to spend all of our time in offensive zone jamming along the boards and cycling the puck around the wall. Same story this season, especially last night. Guys have got to start driving the net and having the creativity to get into space.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 03:48 PM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
This team is just awful... We have a bunch of people that just shoot the puck at the net and hope to miss the goalie... No shotmakers or creative players at all... I was so mad when we wasted $3m on Cole instead of spending $5mil on a talented winger

Right on Caniac! Even with our late season and playoff success last year, I still wonder WTF Cole is doing in Carolina. I've been with this team since Greensboro and JR's management techniques are wearing thin. 06-07 should have been his last season with us. After Burke is fired from TO maybe he'll take that job.

Old
10-18-2009, 04:03 PM
geehaad

Quote:
I've been with this team since Greensboro and JR's management techniques are wearing thin. 06-07 should have been his last season with us. After Burke is fired from TO maybe he'll take that job.
This is the first day you've posted on this board since 03-07-2009, correct? Where'd you go during the good times?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 04:10 PM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
This is the first day you've posted on this board since 03-07-2009, correct? Where'd you go during the good times?
I guess the same place as you considering the big 95 posts in +3 years you've amassed.

Old
10-18-2009, 04:33 PM
geehaad

Quote:
I guess the same place as you considering the big 95 posts in +3 years you've amassed.
Oh, you post over at TheScoreboards too? What's your handle over there, because I haven't seen "QuitStaaling" anywhere...

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 04:43 PM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Oh, you post over at TheScoreboards too? What's your handle over there, because I haven't seen "QuitStaaling" anywhere...
I don't know about scoreboard. My regular forum is at Spector's. I come and go @ HF. I need to be more involved here.
Me thinks me shall.

Old
10-18-2009, 05:25 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
In the early portions of last season I was incredibly frustrated with the team because we seemed to spend all of our time in offensive zone jamming along the boards and cycling the puck around the wall. Same story this season, especially last night. Guys have got to start driving the net and having the creativity to get into space.
Yeah, I try to use the frustration I had early last season to temper my frustration early this year. Last year started much like this, and we finished it off in spectacular fashion.

The good: Ward has been playing out of his mind since he went down 2-0 to Pitt the other night, and has actually been fantastic for awhile now (not just since that game....obviously). He should steal us a few wins if we can score.......

The bad: We can't score.

At some point this team has to show it can do something other than wait for Eric Staal to explode and carry this team down the stretch. It's a lot of pressure on one player.

If Atlanta can develop a team capable of scoring with all three lines I would think we could at least have a team that could put a talented scoring winger with Staal.

Another example, Tampa Bay, when Lecav struggles they just take Martin St. Louis and put him up to help out Lecav. We need an option like that where we can move people around without crippling every other line.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:19 AM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
Yeah, I try to use the frustration I had early last season to temper my frustration early this year. Last year started much like this, and we finished it off in spectacular fashion.

The good: Ward has been playing out of his mind since he went down 2-0 to Pitt the other night, and has actually been fantastic for awhile now (not just since that game....obviously). He should steal us a few wins if we can score.......

The bad: We can't score.

At some point this team has to show it can do something other than wait for Eric Staal to explode and carry this team down the stretch. It's a lot of pressure on one player.

If Atlanta can develop a team capable of scoring with all three lines I would think we could at least have a team that could put a talented scoring winger with Staal.

Another example, Tampa Bay, when Lecav struggles they just take Martin St. Louis and put him up to help out Lecav. We need an option like that where we can move people around without crippling every other line.

Thought you were gonna say "wait for Staal to explode with a massive wrap-around."

Waiting on Staal isn't acceptable. He is playing injured right now. The banging is going to take a toll on him real soon if something doesn't change. If Eric gets REALLy injured.........I don't even want to talk about it.

You really can't compare us to Atl. Bottom line, their team is good. There defense is young and good. They have the best LW in the league. Yes, IMO, better than AO. Ilya hasn't had the luxury of playing beside a talented center like Backstrom or with all the offensive weapons the Craps ice. He still scores at will. Now the Thrash have Kane? They are young, hungry and deep. They are a goalie away from being a playoff threat IMO.

With TB, their management takes action and risks. I respect that. They have managed to draft and sign a capable offensive force but their defense is suspect. Excluding Hedman of course. Vinny is struggling but Stamkos is steady.

Our current roster and whatever is going through their heads can compete with the Bolts and Cats but the other two will be a season long problem if we don't do something quick.

Old
10-19-2009, 10:44 AM
stivwhaler

Wow, Ilya>Alex?? I don't think you'll find anybody outside of Atlanta who'll agree with you on that one. That's just crazy talk. I'm not surprised by the Canes struggles, we all knew that Maurice isn't exactly an offensive guru. It's frustrating, we get Peter who is brilliant offensively, he gives us the cup, then the team breaks down so horribly on the back end that he's fired. We bring back Mo the D oriented coach and we get to the ECF, then the team breaks down up front. Isn't there some kind of middle ground we can find?

stivwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:49 AM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stivwhaler View Post
Wow, Ilya>Alex?? I don't think you'll find anybody outside of Atlanta who'll agree with you on that one. That's just crazy talk. I'm not surprised by the Canes struggles, we all knew that Maurice isn't exactly an offensive guru. It's frustrating, we get Peter who is brilliant offensively, he gives us the cup, then the team breaks down so horribly on the back end that he's fired. We bring back Mo the D oriented coach and we get to the ECF, then the team breaks down up front. Isn't there some kind of middle ground we can find?
It may be my hate for AO talking. I can come up with all sorts of reasons why Ilya is better. Are they correct?