HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Decision

Old
10-19-2009, 06:54 PM
zbryne

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
Skate Decision

So I am just learning to skate, I want to buy skates but the only shop here is rather expensive. Their hockey skates start at $200 so I thought about buying online for cheaper. The problem is if I order online Im worried about not getting the right fit, even though the shop will do sharpening and baking for a fee ($25 combined).

I also don't know how a good skate should fit, so if I did order online I wouldn't know if it was a proper fit. What I am asking is should I just shell out the extra money and buy a skate from the shop that will be fitted by someone experienced in it, or would I be okay just ordering online and having the shop sharpen and bake them.

Thanks

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 07:07 PM
SouthpawTRK

A few months ago I was in your same situation; wanting to learn how to skate and in the market for a decent pair of skates. I did not want to spend a lot, but at the same time I wanted something that was going to last for at least a couple of years.

I ended up buying some RBK 5K's; a bit more than I wanted to spend; but I'm really glad that I did make the purchase. A lot of the time I will buy product from online hockey shops; mainly due to the availability and the pricing. I'm sure that there are some killer deals on skates online, but I'm glad that I purchased mine from my LHS. There are many positive factors when buying skates from your LHS; you actually get to try them on, complimentary baking, complimentary sharpenings, punching and you have the knowledge and know how from the staff at the shop (plus you are supporting a local business). If you order online and the skates don't fit, then you have to call the online seller back to get an RA# and then pay for shipping (and possibly a restocking fee), which can be extremely time consuming.

Have a great time on the ice once you get your skates!!!

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 07:37 PM
DevilsFan38

Do. Not. Buy. Online.

Skates that fit right are worth spending the money on. Your feet will be miserable if they don't fit correctly. And like you said, you won't even know what you're looking for if you buy online. And I'd bet that between shipping, baking, and first sharpening you probably won't save a whole lot money. An extra $20 or so for skates that fit properly is absolutely money well spent.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 07:50 PM
BadHammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
Do. Not. Buy. Online.

Skates that fit right are worth spending the money on. Your feet will be miserable if they don't fit correctly. And like you said, you won't even know what you're looking for if you buy online. And I'd bet that between shipping, baking, and first sharpening you probably won't save a whole lot money. An extra $20 or so for skates that fit properly is absolutely money well spent.
What if you're not within a 350 mile radius of an actual shop? The truth is, if you are lucky enough to have a nice LHS near you, use it and ask them if they'll price match off the web or even come close to it. If there's a huge price difference and they refuse to bend, feel free to try it on there and then buy it online. Baking can be done very easily and sharpening is no problem either. However, if the difference is only $50-75, then throw them the business for sure.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 07:54 PM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
awesome, looks like I'll be going to get some from the shop. Thanks guys

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:14 PM
thedonger

there's a reason why skates at a local hockey shop tend to cost a bit more than online. it's because you get the opportunity to try them on and have someone fit you. add to the fact that most skates these days are made to be baked, which will be free if you purchase the skates at a lhs. also, many shops charge a bit extra for a first time sharpening, sometimes up $15 since it can take more time and effort...this will also be free if you purchase locally.

also add that to the fact that you'd also be supporting your local economy and it's a win-win situation.

unless you do not have a lhs near you, i cannot stress enough going there to get your skates as it may save you money in the long getting fit right the first time as opposed to having to search for a new pair if you realize that the pair you bought online doesn't fit riight...speaking from experience.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote