HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Level of play

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2009, 04:03 AM
  #1
10 ft. pole
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
Level of play

Don't you just love it when you show up to pick up and you see a bunch of guys who are just fricking lights out players. It's like you cant do anything wrong. All you got to do is get open and the puck is on your stick. All you got to do is look up the ice and someone is flying up the wing waiting for a pass. I got the chance to play with a couple of former pro's and their sons. They brought a bunch of there local buddies from out of the wood work as well and we played the most up-tempo, tape to tape, fun offensive game of my life. I felt bad for a couple of my buddies wearing white and playing D tonight. I was making plays I never knew I could. I was using my skates to deflect passes to teammates to send them on breakaways, setting up perfect give and go's, and flipping behind the back passes that would have made your local color man say WOW. It's crazy how when you get some high skilled players out there they can make anybody look good.

Anybody else have any experiences like this where a bunch of ringers joined your local pick up game.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 07:02 AM
  #2
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Playing with good players who pass is fun, yes.

You can also get the bad side of that. Evander Kane would come out a lot to our drop in but he'd rarely make anyone else look good. He either passed to his dad or not at all.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:01 AM
  #3
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
I got a couple to chances to play with some of the guys from the local ECHL team over the last few years, all have been great experiences. The only bad experience I had was one guy who was just lightning fast on my team, great guy and a great team mate, was just too fast for me. I always felt like I was in his way even though he would never admit it. I was much more comfortable playing D against him when I could never get close to him.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 01:40 PM
  #4
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
We have pickup games often and there is a mix of very talented, medium talented and the extremely untalented where they are just learning to skate.

Everybody is friends though, you know like a good player brings a cousin who can't skate or whatever. We just have fun with it like sometimes letting them think they are getting away with something by giving them a tug on the elbow while they are skating their butt off and really not going anywhere. let them have a shot on goal once in while etc.

It is hard sometimes when "lesser" players are playing but one has to remind themselves that there always will be a better player than yourself at some point even if you are really good.

The other comment in here about friends passing to only their friends ... well we do not invite those people back no matter how much skill they have. there is no need for it honestly. One .... hockey is a passing team game and not an individual sport and two ... well it pisses people off and just should not be done for the same reason one would not fart in a restaurant while eating.

Poor etiquette.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 03:54 PM
  #5
K-PAX*
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
I've been on both sides of the ringer thing and when I know I'm significantly better than most of the other players I look to pass a lot. No one cares if you can dangle a 40 year old man who learned to skate in his 30s.

If I'm playing with guys a lot better than me I just skate. It's the only thing I can do at a high level so I just skate hard and park myself in front of the net in the offensive zone. I don't like either side of the equation that much, so I usually stick to leagues where I'm not outclassed or king ****.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 05:24 PM
  #6
10 ft. pole
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
I used to play as a kid. I played Bantam A and Midget A. I never had to play on a B or C team. I went straight from roller to the USA hockey classes to the club team. My coaches always said I had awesome instincts and good vision. Well couple that with watching hockey for the last 20 years and i am amazed how much i have picked up by just watching. You kind of just find yourselves in situations and find yourself making plays you never were shown how to or never tried before. You are just reacting to the game and more specifically the situation.

It just is really cool and revealing that playing with ringers brings it out. I guess, its just the oh so elusive chemistry factor. Like when 1 player gets traded to your team and it just brings everything together. I never really understood it but, now you see why coaches and GM are always searching for lightning in a bottle.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 05:48 PM
  #7
the_speedster
Registered User
 
the_speedster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
Playing with good players who pass is fun, yes.

You can also get the bad side of that. Evander Kane would come out a lot to our drop in but he'd rarely make anyone else look good. He either passed to his dad or not at all.
you didn't get in the way of perry's shots did you?

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:02 PM
  #8
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
We have pickup games often and there is a mix of very talented, medium talented and the extremely untalented where they are just learning to skate.

Everybody is friends though, you know like a good player brings a cousin who can't skate or whatever. We just have fun with it like sometimes letting them think they are getting away with something by giving them a tug on the elbow while they are skating their butt off and really not going anywhere. let them have a shot on goal once in while etc.

It is hard sometimes when "lesser" players are playing but one has to remind themselves that there always will be a better player than yourself at some point even if you are really good.

The other comment in here about friends passing to only their friends ... well we do not invite those people back no matter how much skill they have. there is no need for it honestly. One .... hockey is a passing team game and not an individual sport and two ... well it pisses people off and just should not be done for the same reason one would not fart in a restaurant while eating.

Poor etiquette.
Are you talking about where you or your buddies rent the ice or where you just show up and pay the arena 5 bucks or whatever and play?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:13 AM
  #9
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Are you talking about where you or your buddies rent the ice or where you just show up and pay the arena 5 bucks or whatever and play?
We rent the ice and ask people to play via text message.

Shinny hockey on the other hand usually consists of a classless selfish lot where poor etiquette seems to dominate the thing. For those I just go for the skate and acknowledge it is some very bad hockey.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:33 AM
  #10
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
you didn't get in the way of perry's shots did you?
Heck no! You crazy?? haha. I tried to stay out of the way of Perry's shots and Evanders dekes.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.