HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose 5th straight

Old
10-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Bialo Czerwoni

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalost27 View Post
lol Kovyyyy.

Maybe Cammalleri for Kovalev?

I hate seeing him in a Sens jersey.
We don't want talent in Montreal, what we want is hard working players with no gamebreaking ability's.
I mean who wants a guy who can shoot like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13bK62KDbdw when you have Andrei Kostitsyn
If Ottawa, Anaheim and Tampa mange to make the playoffs and we fail, well that's going enough Gainey for me and probably thw whole organisation.

Bialo Czerwoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bialo Czerwoni View Post
We don't want talent in Montreal, what we want is hard working players with no gamebreaking ability's.
I mean who wants a guy who can shoot like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13bK62KDbdw when you have Andrei Kostitsyn
Yeah I guess when Gainey offered him a contract that meant he didn't want Kovalev eh?

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:21 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i knew someone one would

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I find it difficult to justify making full board changes considering that the habs have played well enough to win in the majority of games.

Its been a bizarre season in the sense that they won the 2 games they probably should have lost, but beside the Vancouver game and the Calgary game (which was fairly even), the habs have decisively outplayed their competition.

Now, I know outplaying the opponent does not equate to an automatic 2 points, but is sure increases your odds of doing so.

Its fascinating to watch the fortunes of a team on a roll versus a team in a rut. A team on a roll has pucks deflecting away from the net while a team in a rut has the opposite fortunes.

Other than Gill who can only get better, I dont have a ton of major complaints with this team. If they keep playing the way they have in the last few games, the results can only start going in Montreal's favour, so I cant see any major shake up happening just yet.
Exactly. I'm thinking just a few twich here and there, and the tide could come back in our favor. Who knows, fixing our 4th line and getting MAB up might be enough to win those pesky 1-goal game that we should have won (and tonight's as well).

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Adam91

Love all the GM's on here that want Patrick Sharp. 29 other team want him too, there is no way he will be traded, he is one of Chicago's only good long term contracts.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
I find it difficult to justify making full board changes considering that the habs have played well enough to win in the majority of games.

Its been a bizarre season in the sense that they won the 2 games they probably should have lost, but beside the Vancouver game and the Calgary game (which was fairly even), the habs have decisively outplayed their competition.

Now, I know outplaying the opponent does not equate to an automatic 2 points, but is sure increases your odds of doing so.

Its fascinating to watch the fortunes of a team on a roll versus a team in a rut. A team on a roll has pucks deflecting away from the net while a team in a rut has the opposite fortunes.

Other than Gill who can only get better, I dont have a ton of major complaints with this team. If they keep playing the way they have in the last few games, the results can only start going in Montreal's favour, so I cant see any major shake up happening just yet.
Meh me neither, just looking at last year nothing major happened in the season. I dont think anything will happen this soon anyway. But I do think a spark can get this team going. It can come in the form of a blowout game or a great game by one player which unfortunately doesnt seem to want to happen.

I say with try to spark the team with a call up. MAB and if possible SK. AK is already showing some promise, Pleks is getting the job done, why not call up SK if thats a possibility. Happened before, I could totally see it happen again.

Saint Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Alexei Yashvalev

God the Habs are depressing.

TSN noted the fans cheered more for Kovalev than the Habs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN.ca
MONTREAL -- Most former Canadiens players returning to Montreal have been welcomed with a chorus of boos.

Alex Kovalev got a standing ovation.

The majority of the sellout Bell Centre crowd of 21,273 rose to its feet following the goal as chants of "Kovy, Kovy" filled the arena, a rare sight for a visiting player in Montreal.

As opposed to the cheers given to Kovalev, the Canadiens were loudly booed for long stretches of the third period as they were pinned in their defensive zone for much of the final 20 minutes.

"It meant a lot," Kovalev said of the standing ovation, his first as a visiting player. "It was appreciation for what I've done for the city, and I really appreciate all the support the fans gave me.

Alexei Yashvalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bialo Czerwoni View Post
If Ottawa, Anaheim and Tampa mange to make the playoffs and we fail, well that's going enough Gainey for me and probably thw whole organisation.
We have plenty of talent in Mtl, and this year they are hard-working too. Sometimes the puck just won't go in, and apparently many times in our case but it's no reason to freak out. After all, everyone on the smurf line have already proven their worth and it's a matter of time before you see that 2nd line become dynamite.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:26 PM
coolasprICE

our smirfs are too small to battle 3 periods on the same line... they look like dehydrated midgets in the 3rd period.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
if a team has to rely on one player it's not positive
if the rest of the team cant pick up the slack for the missing player it's not positive
last year Pittsburgh relied on Gonchar the same way we relied on Markov, how did that turn out for them?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:45 PM
habtastic

My humble opinion: We are still just fine. The third goal took the wind out of our sails but we dominated for large periods. We have many times this year. I don't remember much of that last year (last half). We just havn't burried it. We've also run into hot goalies. Some people see statistics and let them fool them. We have not been outplayed except for the Vancouver game and Price has been very very good (don't tell me you're not impressed with him compared to last year). As many people have said -- right direction. I know the wins will start piling up soon enough. This is all despite not having Markov. We are one of the teams who will be coached into recovery. If this were Carbo, I wouldn't be as reassured.

Just realized it's about time I stopped being lazy and changed my avatar

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Habs

I still don't understand why the JM has them playing a perimeter game. We have lots of guys who like to shoot, but they are blasting from way outside, no inside traffic.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:48 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Are we actually comparing ourselves to the freakin Leafs so we'd feel better about ourselves? The Leafs that almost nobody placed in the playoffs while most people put us between 6 and 8. I hope we are better. And by the way, as much as people love to hate Price, Leafs have to work with their 3rd goalie...not 2nd, 3rd. 'Cause actually their 2nd, Gustavsson, is better than the 1st. But I guess we can say that McDonald can be considered as good as Sanford. So would Sanford have done better and if not would he have done worst? Would we be as competitive with Sanford?

I think we should wait till the Leafs get Gustavsson back to know how good their team is. They still won't have the freakin punch up front but might feel better with him than with Toskasieve or MacDonald.
And you are defending the Leafs beee-cause...?

Not sure what this post has to do with my post since I never mentioned goal tending only that we looked better as a team in our losses than the Leafs have in any game since the first game of the season. Yeah, their goal tending sucks but the rest of the team isn't much better. We've deserved better in some games, like Calgary, Colorado and maybe Edmonton. The Leafs have been awful as a team. It's not just goal tending.

And, actually, a lot of analysts put the Leafs in the play-offs or at least anywhere from 6-10, so play-off contenders. We got anywhere from 6-12 and a lot of people had us out. That even includes the GMs since in pre-season Burke said he thinks the Leafs are play-off contenders whereas Gainey rather infamously said he wasn't sure.

Again, not sure why you're defending the Leafs....

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Seriously, if the Habs were riding a 5-game losing streak and getting buried every time I'd buy that they're a bad team, but they're frequently outplaying the other guys for long stretches, it just won't go in for them.

It's annoying, it's points they might end up needing in April, but there's no cause for panic over the long-term ability of this team.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Megaforce

When I saw Gorges on the PP I turned the TV off, knew we were going to lose.

Megaforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:54 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Well who exactly did you expect to see manning the point on the second wave?

Hal Gill?

Shawn flippin' Belle?

Old
10-17-2009, 11:56 PM
marvelousmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Seriously, if the Habs were riding a 5-game losing streak and getting buried every time I'd buy that they're a bad team, but they're frequently outplaying the other guys for long stretches, it just won't go in for them.

It's annoying, it's points they might end up needing in April, but there's no cause for panic over the long-term ability of this team.
I would not call one period out of 3 "frequently"..

Although I agree that it's almost a given that that this team can do and could have done a lot better with a bit more luck, they still need to learn how to play for 60 minutes.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:57 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Gorges is the most improved player (along with OB) this year (continues to improve). His low down game is great, he's one of our better D and his pinching has actually led to chances. He's turning into a pretty skilled and versatile player. Who would you rather be in his spot? I'll tell you who makes me puke when I see him on the PP- Lats!!!
USE-LESS. He is not, so far using his big body specifically on the PP. He can't handle the puck and just throws it wherever he feels like it (they should put those golden arches on the boards right behind the net...i know it's getting old, but I'm really frustrated with the guy). If you have to put someone in his place, maybe D'ago or even Moen.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:58 PM
gampy

Quote:

Hmmm...I am going to beg to differ. I know first hand how a team can play well...lose...then play well...lose...then start playing "not to lose", and then just start circling the drain. It happens. Confidence is not just a personal thing, but a confluence of factors, including team spirit.

Sometimes...a shake-up is what it takes to get a team out of a funk. Or out of the dis-favour of the hockey gods, or whatever.

Until Gionta, and Gomez have a couple of spectacular games...the rest of the team will start wondering...

It looked to me tonight that even with the energetic and full-court press in the 1st...they just couldn't catch a break...and that messes with a teams' head. It would take a whole lot for the the Montreal Canadiens to come back from a loss like tonight. Emotionally, I mean.

gampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:59 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
last year Pittsburgh relied on Gonchar the same way we relied on Markov, how did that turn out for them?
It turned out great for them in the end. They managed to hover around the .500 mark without Gonchar and that's with Crosby, Malkin and Staal on the team. We don't have a player on this team that is even the equivalent to Staal which probably explains why we are not hovering around the .500 mark without Markov.

We'll see how the rest of this home stand goes. A couple of wins over Atlanta and NYI will go a long way to changing that picture. But we have NYR, Chicago and Pittsburgh coming up too and Atlanta has an outstanding offense. They're fast and Kovalchuk is awesome.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:03 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf4mous_1 View Post
Although I agree that it's almost a given that that this team can do and could have done a lot better with a bit more luck, they still need to learn how to play for 60 minutes.
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict it would have been a lot easier to keep going in the second if the score had been 2-0 Habs, rather than 1-1.

Old
10-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Chances are Bergeron will be called up for Monday's game or at least I hope so. That will drop Hamrlik to the 2nd PP pairing. Spacek needs someone setting him up at the point. On our 5 on 3 Gomez kept dropping it back to Mara for the high slot shot but kept getting it blocked. Spacek might've been the better choice if he just hadn't been on the ice right before that PP. I like Spacek's shot & if Markov were playing he'd probably have at least 2 goals. Although I like Spacek's shot I do hope Bergeron when called up will be the #1 trigger man on the PP as his shot is just a little bit better.

Scotianhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gampy View Post
Hmmm...I am going to beg to differ. I know first hand how a team can play well...lose...then play well...lose...then start playing "not to lose", and then just start circling the drain. It happens. Confidence is not just a personal thing, but a confluence of factors, including team spirit.

Sometimes...a shake-up is what it takes to get a team out of a funk. Or out of the dis-favour of the hockey gods, or whatever.

Until Gionta, and Gomez have a couple of spectacular games...the rest of the team will start wondering...

It looked to me tonight that even with the energetic and full-court press in the 1st...they just couldn't catch a break...and that messes with a teams' head. It would take a whole lot for the the Montreal Canadiens to come back from a loss like tonight. Emotionally, I mean.
I fully agree with you. I'm not against some small tinkering like adding mab, I just dont believe that the team requires full board changes meaning that there needs to be a mass exodus to the farm and vise versa.

Yes, the team did not get any break on either end of the ice in the 1st. It must be difficult mentally to not come up with 2 or 3 goals after the storm they served up in the first, but at the same time, I didnt see any signs of the habs letting it get to them until the kovalev goal.

I'm all for minor adjustments if martin feels the need, just not a major overhaul, so I think we are on the same page.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:15 AM
ColdSudds*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What I've seen his an improvement of the Pleks line. First line is a great line who I still find might slow down 'cause of how big they are playing for their size. So to me, they are not improving, they are steady good. Pleks line (well Pleks and AKost, definately are improving). Is Max Pac improving? The Laps line is improving? And how about that 4th line? Are you satisfied with the defensive coverage and the D's altogether? What improvement are you seeing there? Jacques Martin makes some questionable decisions and maybe more lately than at the beginning of the year.

Honestly, the only improvement you can bet will help this team, and it will at one point, is that the first line will become one of the best in the league. And that the Pleks line, well Pleks and AKost will make some improvements so they become a great 2nd line. Just this will help the team and I agree. But I don't see a whole lot of positives beside that.

As far as the booing and the fans, I agree which makes me say that they are far from the best. Booing when a PP doesn't score after the 1st minute. Booing ex-players that don't deserve it. Booing our players just for the fun of it (Brisebois...), makes us not the greatest by far. But being hard on referees, always reacting as if our guys were killed, which in the end has to be somewhat of a pressure towards the refs. When they cheer as hell at the beginning, they are often really active in the game, yes they are better when we lead, a little less when we trail especially by 2 goals, but then look around and you'll see that it's not better elsewhere though we are fast on the booing I agree. But again, there is a difference between not being the best and being the worst. Being there and making this team reach the cap, I'm sorry, but that's a BIG plus for us and them. By the way, who the heck ever thought that we knew it all? Seems to me that journalists are the reflection of the fans.....oops...I guess it prooves your point more than mine...

Yes I do listen to those shows and I think you are once again exagerating. I feel that most of our journalists or fake ones are way worst than the average caller who I believe nowadays, loves to confront the said journalists whenever they say something wrong. They are not the smartest but again I think that's a little exagerated. Again though, the idiots that you are referring to don't have a whole lot of their opinions going but are going with what they are hearing from those journalists which in the end are just **** disturbers. Maybe a franchise in Quebec will not only see the possiblity of sending some of those journalists away but also divide the shows into something else than the Habs....this might actually help having a smarter crowd around.

I can also tell you one thing....we might not want to say it, but I often read things in this board (and I include myself sometimes...) that might not be as brillant as I hear on the radio. I don't know why HF should be exempt of being stupid....

Agree. Though you know that they are booing the 5 games in a row and not this game. They wouldn't be booing at the end of this one after 4 wins in a row....People are buying the fact that they are missing Kovalev, that this team doesn't represent us, that they are tiring of waiting, that they are tired of the "plan" or that on top of that, there are people who are stupid enough to boo just because it's fun to do it. Stupid people happen to be everywhere.

In the end, the crowd is not the biggest problem. Getting this system going is.
TRADE PRICE

ColdSudds* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:15 AM
FuriousBob

It's still only 7 game in the season but this is getting scary.

We have plenty of chance but there's not one player who seems able to stand up to is reputation and score a goal.

Our D isnt gelling at all and they can't do that first pass that is soooooo important to this game, Spacek and Gill aren't living to what we expected from them.

Our 4th Line must be the worst line in NHL history.

Carey Price is doing a good job but he as not been able to 'steal' a game to help the team gain confidence... for sure it's gonna be hard for him to steal one game with our current D but when you are drafted 1st round 5th pick overall, thats what you should do and he isn't doing it... he is far from being this 'all star goaler' we were waiting for and if this is not the year I really wonder when will it be...

The only solution I got is bringing maxwell up. Since the duo of Lats and Laps aren't producing I would put Laps on the fourth line so our fourth won't suck as much as it doeas now.

I would bring MAB up and keep Belle for 7th D so when we aren't playing against big teams, he could take Gill place. Sure Gill is better than Belle but it will give him rest so he can be more consistent.

Since Pleks is our best player until now, I would put him on the first line.

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta
Dags/Patch-Gomez-A.kost
Lats-Maxwell-Moen
Laraque-Laps-Moen/Patch

Hamrlik-Spacek
Gorges/MAB-Mara
Gill/Belle- MAB/Gorges (I would play Gorges on the 3rd pairing when Gill is playing so he can help Gill with is speed.)

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote