HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils are a Disgrace!!!

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Cuiff

vCash: 500
Devils are a Disgrace!!!

I was disgusted over how the Devil player were taking shots at JR's jaw. They are so cheep it makes me sick. What was even more annoying was the fact that the refs let it go. If the NHL wants to clean up its image they need to protect superstars like JR who just recover from a broken jaw. I'll never agree with a ref comming between a fight but JR just had a major jaw injury!

:mad:

Last edited by Cuiff: 04-12-2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old
04-09-2004, 02:58 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
agreed all of these avatars can describe that incident and NHL officiating...i couldn't get all of them in one post.

absolutely pathetic.

Old
04-09-2004, 03:10 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
I was disgusted how the Devil player were taking shots at JR's jaw. They are so cheep it makes me sick. What was even more annoying was the fact that the refs let it go. If the NHL wants to clean up its image they need to protect superstars like JR who just recover from a broken jaw. I'll never agree with a ref comming between a fight but JR just had a major jaw injury!
I've got no problem with that. If a players on the ice he's fair game. You can't have refs looking out for recently injured players. If it's a penalty it's a penalty, call it as such, but no favors to the recently injured.

Brodeur however should have been penalized for starting the whole JR-Brown incident.

Old
04-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

They went after his Jaw? I really didn't see anything like that.

I think he should still be wearing that protector.

Old
04-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
I was discussed how the Devil player were taking shots at JR's jaw. They are so cheep it makes me sick. What was even more annoying was the fact that the refs let it go. If the NHL wants to clean up its image they need to protect superstars like JR who just recover from a broken jaw. I'll never agree with a ref comming between a fight but JR just had a major jaw injury!

I applaud the devils for doing that...this is playoff hockey man. I don't care who you are or if you are injured or anything you have to take these liberties. JR knew they would focus on him like that and he won't back down. If JR was worried he should keep on the protection but obviosly he wasn't because he is a warrior. It's just like if Stevens comes back don't you think he is going to be a target.

Old
04-09-2004, 03:31 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
I applaud the devils for doing that...this is playoff hockey man. I don't care who you are or if you are injured or anything you have to take these liberties. JR knew they would focus on him like that and he won't back down. If JR was worried he should keep on the protection but obviosly he wasn't because he is a warrior. It's just like if Stevens comes back don't you think he is going to be a target.
Stevens would be deserving since he was the one that put that big hit on Lindros a few years ago. Point is, JR hasn't done anything really to get the Devils extra-pissed, going after him 2-1 is pretty bad. I'd like to see brown take on brashear.

Old
04-09-2004, 03:45 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Roenick had his best game since the return, youre not getting him to put the mask back on now.

No, you can't blame the devils for doing that at all, that was just one incident of a trend of one-sided officiating. Brodeur should of gotten a penalty, but you're not going to see anything against a goalie in a playoff series. They can take swings at our players all they want, but we're still taking care of business on the scoreboard

Old
04-09-2004, 04:26 PM
gmdevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Stevens would be deserving since he was the one that put that big hit on Lindros a few years ago.
LMFAO!

You're kidding me right? Stevens deserves to be made a target after coming back from an injury because he's an evil man, but the angel Jeremy Roenick should be protected above all others.

:lol Man thats good stuff

Old
04-09-2004, 05:53 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
No, you can't blame the devils for doing that at all, that was just one incident of a trend of one-sided officiating. Brodeur should of gotten a penalty, but you're not going to see anything against a goalie in a playoff series. They can take swings at our players all they want, but we're still taking care of business on the scoreboard
Yes, we can blame the Devils for doing that. JR didn't intentionally go into Brodeur.
The clod known as Sean Brown pushed him into Broduer. Then Brodeur hits him with his stick and Brown knows his face is vulnerable. It takes a brave man to punch a guy who just had a broken jaw.

Stevens will get ran if he comes back I can tell you that much. I won't be crying any tears if he does.

Old
04-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
I was discussed how the Devil player were taking shots at JR's jaw. They are so cheep it makes me sick. What was even more annoying was the fact that the refs let it go. If the NHL wants to clean up its image they need to protect superstars like JR who just recover from a broken jaw. I'll never agree with a ref comming between a fight but JR just had a major jaw injury!

So he's not a Devil's fan...

Old
04-09-2004, 06:34 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdevils
LMFAO!

You're kidding me right? Stevens deserves to be made a target after coming back from an injury because he's an evil man, but the angel Jeremy Roenick should be protected above all others.

:lol Man thats good stuff
Yes I am sure Jeremy Roenick gave your star player a concussion. If your gonna troll, at least learn to read or get your facts straight

Old
04-09-2004, 06:42 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning_to_Fly
Yes I am sure Jeremy Roenick gave your star player a concussion. If your gonna troll, at least learn to read or get your facts straight
What the hell are you talking about?

It's the playoffs, everyone is fair game.

Old
04-09-2004, 06:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
if you can't take it, get off the ice

Old
04-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Cuiff

I guess no one agrees. That's cool!!! I thought Hockey players had a little more respect for each other than that. No wonder the league is hurting. It is such a great game but when I see animals like the devils trying to end a guys season, it sad for the game.

Old
04-09-2004, 07:04 PM
gmdevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning_to_Fly
Who's trolling? I'm just having a good laugh at the fact that its apparently ok to target Stevens (who even cares what the reason is...) but its not ok to target Roenick (and for the record I didn't see any instances where this occurred). Just because you're a fan of a certain team doesn't mean that you have be a troll when you post on a rivals board, and there are several Philly fans who I respect and I'm sure would agree.

I won't be posting any more on this thread because my next post is going to be my 666th and I'm gonna save that for the remainder of the playoffs... Here's to a great series guys!

Old
04-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdevils
its apparently ok to target Stevens (who even cares what the reason is...) but its not ok to target Roenick (and for the record I didn't see any instances where this occurred).
I didn't see any Devils taking runs at Roenick. Normal hitting is fine, but it's not ok at all to try and injure a player, regardless of what colors he's wearing.

If Stevens comes back and somebody takes a run at his head I will condemn them.

Old
04-09-2004, 07:30 PM
flyercide

Roenick was in the crease & Brodeur tripped over him... Brown was just defending his goalie. If it was the Flyers I'd hope they do the same thing to protect the goalie. Roenick sticking in there showing the Devil's he won't be intimidated was big thing. That's a lesson to the youngsters. Browns like 6'5 for Roenick to stay in there and hold his ground while just recoving from broken jaw was quite impressive.

Old
04-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
If Stevens comes back and somebody takes a run at his head I will condemn them.
On the other hand, Id laugh my arse off just as I would if Domi got an elbow to the head or Tucker blows his knee out.

Poetic justice.

Old
04-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Dr Love

You play with an injury/coming off an injury, you're going to get runs at that location of you. Every athlete knows that. Considering Roenick is the kind of guy that would to the same if the tables were turned, this isn't anything to get in a twist over.

Old
04-10-2004, 01:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
ya know i agree. guys give it a rest. JR knows the risks going out there. If the Devils want to hit JR with clean shots i have no problem with it.
IF and when Stevens ddoes come back i would expect the Flyers to go after him bigtime,
its playoff hockey. if ya cant deal with it give it a rest. its allmost embarassing to listen to some of my fellow Flyer fans *****ing and moaning about the Devils going after JR. why dont we focus our energy on how we are going to have to play to win game 2, which in my opinion will have to be at a higher level then Thursday night.

was away for the weekend, or most of it anyway. just realized i typed refs instead of Devils. not that i was tired or anything. lol

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 04-11-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old
04-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
I guess no one agrees. That's cool!!! I thought Hockey players had a little more respect for each other than that. No wonder the league is hurting. It is such a great game but when I see animals like the devils trying to end a guys season, it sad for the game.
There is no such word as RESPECT in playoff hockey.

Old
04-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
There is no such word as RESPECT in playoff hockey.
Amen on that, and I think that's what makes it great.

Old
04-10-2004, 09:40 AM
FlyHigh

My point with Stevens is that he was the one who took out Eric Lindros who just happened to be the star Flyers player.

Brown protecting his netminder is BS as Brodeur was the one that tripped over Roenick in the first place. I KNOW that this is playoff hockey. I KNOW that playoff hockey can be very rough and physical. But anyone who said that those hits on JR were clean is just kidding themselves. IF Stevens were to get hit hard, I would definitely prefer that this was a clean hit. I'm sure that if Roenick had been hurt on this play, a lot of other fans on this board would join with me and Cuiffitelli in condemning the play.

I never said that the refs were taking it out on Roenick. I'm sure that if had happened to any other player on the ice, no penalty/offsetting minors would have occured.

In my mind, that was a deliberate attempt to get Roenick out of the series. You can compare that to Clarke's chop on Kharlamov back in the 70's. A deliberate attempt to injure. It's only because Kharlamov got hurt that there was all the ruccus. If Moore wasn't hurt, Bertuzzi probably wouldn't have been suspended for the rest of the year.

You can playoff hockey me all day long, but I wouldn't have a lot of sympathy. I was injured in a very competitive game on a borderline play and now I can't play hockey well because I can barely skate (and I'm only 16).

My whole point here is that this just epitomizes what is so wrong with the NHL. Guys are just allowed to punch each other in the face and do things like that. If I wanted to see a boxing match, I would get pay-per-view. This was an ill-disguised attempt to injure and like I said before, if an injury had occured, I'm sure that many more people would be up in arms about it.

Old
04-10-2004, 10:55 AM
David Puddy

Quote:
Brown protecting his netminder is BS as Brodeur was the one that tripped over Roenick in the first place. I KNOW that this is playoff hockey. I KNOW that playoff hockey can be very rough and physical.
Brown was protecting his goalie. I will agree that Roenick fell in the crease quite accidentally, but Brodeur didn't see that, so he gave JR a love tap. Roenick went after Brodeur, so Brown protected his netminder.

Listen here, Roenick is well enough to play without his jaw protector, so you shouldn't act so offended for him. If his condition was that bad, he wouldn't have been cleared to play.

Quote:
My point with Stevens is that he was the one who took out Eric Lindros who just happened to be the star Flyers player.
For all intents and purposes, Lindros took himself out. He has done it throughout his career, skating with his head down. He did it again this year and ran into Doig. One would think that someone would have taught this guy worth Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, two 1st-Round draft picks and $15 million how to handle the puck without looking at it.

Last thing, this is how it should be. Esche should lose to Brodeur in this series, but he should defeat Brodeur in the World Cup. Does that sound fair to you guys?

Old
04-10-2004, 10:58 AM
blah

Flyers in 5.

Closed Thread