HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather has lost it. Question...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2004, 01:11 PM
  #1
jdsrangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
Sather has lost it. Question...

Something to think about:

Sather GAVE Nedved away to the Oilers for NOTHING. The prospect they got won't even get signed(too small and showed nothing in college). Sure Slats got a #2 pick but why wouldn't he also have a clause that if Nedved resigns with the Oilers the Rangers get additional compensation.

Fact: the Rangers paid the remander of Nedveds salary for this season!

Anyone that thinks Sather has a gameplan, please let me know what it is!

jdsrangers is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 01:18 PM
  #2
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,759
vCash: 500
The Rangers did fine in that deal.....

Barnaby is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 02:49 PM
  #3
AJ1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
We have to face the fact that Nedved wasn't worth very much.

AJ1982 is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 06:27 PM
  #4
vbox81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982
We have to face the fact that Nedved wasn't worth very much.
Consider, however, the complaining out of Nashville about certain 'conspiracies.' I think Poile was quoted as saying something about "if I knew I could get a player without paying for him...."

Under the terms of the deal, we probably could've done better...

vbox81 is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 06:29 PM
  #5
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
think you NEED to check your facts about Helminen, you are dead wrong in his assessment

in the hall is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 07:38 PM
  #6
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsrangers
The prospect they got won't even get signed(too small and showed nothing in college).
so you consider being named defensive player of the year AND leading the team in goal scoring AND being compared to john madden by legendary coach red berenson as 'showing nothing in college'?

NYR469 is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 09:55 PM
  #7
L.I.RangerFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Enemy Land - Long Is
Country: United States
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsrangers
Something to think about:

Sather GAVE Nedved away to the Oilers for NOTHING. The prospect they got won't even get signed(too small and showed nothing in college). Sure Slats got a #2 pick but why wouldn't he also have a clause that if Nedved resigns with the Oilers the Rangers get additional compensation.

Fact: the Rangers paid the remander of Nedveds salary for this season!

Anyone that thinks Sather has a gameplan, please let me know what it is!

Did you even watch one game in which Helminen played? I don't think so because if you did you would have seen that he is not "too small" and he showed plenty in college hockey. He is a junior this year and was name defensive player of the year in the CCHA.

To enlighten your knowledge bank here is an article on DH

http://mgoblue.com/document_display....ument_id=14321

Just a suggestion. Do some research before you make comments about players I doubt you have even seen.

Who cares how much of Nedved's salary was paid by the Rangers. He was a player who outlived his usefulness, was doing absolutely nothing and returned a 2nd round pick and a prospect who knows how to play a defensively style of hockey.

Nice return in my book.

L.I.RangerFan is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 10:01 PM
  #8
devildan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
so you consider being named defensive player of the year AND leading the team in goal scoring AND being compared to john madden by legendary coach red berenson as 'showing nothing in college'?
Red also said that John Madden would never come close to making it to the big show ...

devildan is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 10:14 PM
  #9
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Helminen is something. Fine two way center who (I believe) scored 4 goals in one game this season. He fell in his draft year but CSB had him around #35 NA in 2002 as I recall.

Could he be Todd Marchant? Who knows, but he's more than nothing.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
04-12-2004, 01:28 AM
  #10
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,461
vCash: 500
i agree! helmenin is too small. anyone his size would get crushed in the modern NHL. imagine, someone his size winning the hart trophey let alone doing well let alone even making the NHL!

yeah, and what does red berenson know :

does anyone know what a remander is?

n8 is offline  
Old
04-12-2004, 01:32 AM
  #11
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,759
vCash: 500
It's not like the Rangers paid Nedveds salary for a full season... We're talking what? 12 games?

I like Helminens upside. He might be a nice 3rd line player down the road. Plus we got a 2nd, for what? An offensive center who played 10-15 games for them? Pretty good deal in my book.

Barnaby is offline  
Old
04-12-2004, 05:47 AM
  #12
jdsrangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Did you even watch one game in which Helminen played? I don't think so because if you did you would have seen that he is not "too small" and he showed plenty in college hockey. He is a junior this year and was name defensive player of the year in the CCHA.

To enlighten your knowledge bank here is an article on DH

http://mgoblue.com/document_display....ument_id=14321

Just a suggestion. Do some research before you make comments about players I doubt you have even seen.

Who cares how much of Nedved's salary was paid by the Rangers. He was a player who outlived his usefulness, was doing absolutely nothing and returned a 2nd round pick and a prospect who knows how to play a defensively style of hockey.

Nice return in my book.


Hey: I hope you guys are right..I stand corrected. I had a problem that he wasn't one of the Oilers top 15 prospects. I know Keven Lowe wouldn't give away a blue chip prospect but the Oilers must be loaded with talent since Helminen wasn't even a top ten prospect.

My main point of the tread was summed up by vbox81:

vbox81-- was correct in stating "Consider, however, the complaining out of Nashville about certain 'conspiracies.' I think Poile was quoted as saying something about "if I knew I could get a player without paying for him...."

Under the terms of the deal, we probably could've done better...


Don't you think other playoff teams might have got in the bidding if they knew the Rangers were going to pay his salary! Maybe just maybe we could have had a bidding war for a better prospect.

jdsrangers is offline  
Old
04-12-2004, 05:55 AM
  #13
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
Consider, however, the complaining out of Nashville about certain 'conspiracies.' I think Poile was quoted as saying something about "if I knew I could get a player without paying for him...."

Under the terms of the deal, we probably could've done better...
unless we know what nashville was offering you can't really say that we could have done better

NYR469 is offline  
Old
04-12-2004, 07:54 AM
  #14
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,904
vCash: 500
Let's consider for a moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsrangers
Hey: I hope you guys are right..I stand corrected. I had a problem that he wasn't one of the Oilers top 15 prospects. I know Keven Lowe wouldn't give away a blue chip prospect but the Oilers must be loaded with talent since Helminen wasn't even a top ten prospect.

My main point of the tread was summed up by vbox81:

vbox81-- was correct in stating "Consider, however, the complaining out of Nashville about certain 'conspiracies.' I think Poile was quoted as saying something about "if I knew I could get a player without paying for him...."

Under the terms of the deal, we probably could've done better...


Don't you think other playoff teams might have got in the bidding if they knew the Rangers were going to pay his salary! Maybe just maybe we could have had a bidding war for a better prospect.
the Org Rankings based off this site for a moment.

Edm was ranked 3rd best and Nash. 14th.

A prospect like DH may not have been part of Edm's top 15, but he could have easily been part of Nash's or ten other teams top 15.

To base your point of view off of whether he's a team's top 15 prospect is not taking into consideration the pool of talent to choose from and further it's not taking into account the fact that Nedved showed nothing this season to warrant Sather asking for more than he actually received.

We got a good return for a player that wasn't coming back next year even if we don't keep the kid.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
04-12-2004, 08:04 AM
  #15
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,625
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
Consider, however, the complaining out of Nashville about certain 'conspiracies.' I think Poile was quoted as saying something about "if I knew I could get a player without paying for him...."

Under the terms of the deal, we probably could've done better...
If Poile was so upset or at least saw Nedved as a difference maker, he could have made an offer.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
04-12-2004, 08:29 AM
  #16
DARTH SATHER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
If Poile was so upset or at least saw Nedved as a difference maker, he could have made an offer.
I think he would have made a offer if he knew that he could have gotten Nedved without having to pay him. I guess he inquired about him and must have came off thinking he would have had to pay Nedved 's contract which the Oilers didn't have to do.

DARTH SATHER is offline  
Old
04-12-2004, 08:30 AM
  #17
CrookedRain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Personally, I'm shocked anyone offered us more than a used jockstrap for Nedved.

CrookedRain is offline  
Old
04-12-2004, 08:36 AM
  #18
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
As someone stated...

paying Nedved's salary wasn't as if the Rangers were paying much. It was a couple weeks worth of salary, not such a huge price to pay. And given that the Rangers have in the past paid players' salaries, wouldn't Poile put an offer on the table that included the paying of Nedved's salary?

Fletch is offline  
Old
04-12-2004, 10:13 AM
  #19
gkrangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
As far as rankings go....the HF ones mean little to nothing. Especially the organizational rankings.

I woulda paid Nedveds salary for the next 10 years to get rid of him!

gkrangers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.