HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Hockey2000nyr

vCash: 500
toronto is really biting themselves in the ass with them trading that first rounder to boston. if toronto continues to suck, boston is gonna get one of kabanov, hall, seguin, or fowler... im surprised toronto didnt put in a condition on the trade saying that if they finish in the bottom 5 in the league then the 2 first rounders get moved back a year. so say if toronto does finish in the bottom5 this season, instead of boston getting a first in 2010 and 2011, theyd get a first in 2011 and 2012.

Old
10-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Rangers will need strong drafts the next 2-4 years... In Hartford, other than Grachev, Weise and Sangs, is full of dead weights... gotta replenish the farm!
I don't think this is a totally fair evaluation.

The Rangers have 4 blue-chippers (anyone valued at a first rounder or higher in an average draft) waiting to join the NHL: Sangs, McD, Stepan and Kreider.

They have 3 high-risk, high-return prospects: Bourque, Doyle and Locke (the latter one is easily the least likely to make it, but he still has hope). Hopefully one is them becomes a second liner one day, though it may not happen.

Then there are 3 guys with solid NHL potential: Werek, Sauer and Heineken. At least one of them should be an average NHLer or better.

There are also a bunch of guys like Crowder, Byers, Valentenko, Dupont, Kveton, Hagelin, Kundratek, etc. who are lower-end prospects, so I am not really counting them.

That's a decent group. We need to add a high scoring winger or two, as well as one Beuk-type defenseman. We aren't far from having everything filled by youth, but as I've said before, if it were up to me, I would try to do something to stockpile picks and prospects in hopes that a couple more will make it.

I like the Kreider pick and I hope Slats picks another winger next year.

Old
10-19-2009, 12:15 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
If Toronto continues to tank, and Boston picks him up, boy oh boy, isn't that Kessel trade gonna look a lot worse than it already was.
I said it when the trade was made....what a terrible trade on toronto's part. They are not getting better anytime soon, they just dont have the scoring right now or the experience. A lot of youngsters on that squad that arent ready to be go-to-guys. Boston committed highway robbery with that trade.

Old
10-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Edge

Taylor Hall is a beast and like most people I've loved what I've seen for three straight years now.

Old
10-20-2009, 06:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
College players projected to go in the first:

11. Jon Merrill, D, Michigan recruit
15. Derek Forbort, D, UND recruit
16. Riley Sheahan, F, Notre Dame
23. Jarred Tinordi, D, Notre Dame recruit
24. Nick Bjugstad, F, Minnesota recruit
26. Jason Zucker, F, Denver recruit
http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=62195

Old
10-20-2009, 07:24 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
I would love to get either Pulkkenen or Granland.

Old
10-20-2009, 08:17 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jarred Tinordi...supposedly, he's got the size and demeanor of his dad, but with more skill. Yes, the Rangers are deep on defense, and I'd love to add a highly skilled wing. But, Tinordi sounds exactly what this organization lacks...a D-man with an edge. If he's the best player, available, take him.

Old
10-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I just want the Rangers to draft an offensive-minded winger. I would be excited if they drafted another Kreider. One guy like that and we aren't sure what we've got.

Two guys like that and you figure at least one makes it as a very good second liner.

Looking 5 years ahead, the only first or second line winger is Callahan and maybe Lisin if he develops well. But even if both of them are second liners, who are the first liners? We have Bourque and Kreider, but at least one, maybe both won't make it.

And what if Lisin becomes Marcel Hossa and/or Callahan reverts back to being a third liner who gets 30-35 points per season?

We have a load of defensemen. Even defensive defensemen are plenty: Staal, McD, Girardi, Sauer, Valentenko.

We have plenty of centers like Dubi, AA, Stepan, Werek, etc.

Our one area of need are offensive wingers. Neither Cally nor Lusin will be offensive dynamos, so unless some in another position is much more talented, we should go with a winger.

P.S. I am not counting Gabby for 2 reasons. First, contract will be over. Second, we can't rely on his health this year, much less in 2014-2015 and beyond.

Old
10-20-2009, 11:38 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I just want the Rangers to draft an offensive-minded winger. I would be excited if they drafted another Kreider. One guy like that and we aren't sure what we've got.

Two guys like that and you figure at least one makes it as a very good second liner.

Looking 5 years ahead, the only first or second line winger is Callahan and maybe Lisin if he develops well. But even if both of them are second liners, who are the first liners? We have Bourque and Kreider, but at least one, maybe both won't make it.

And what if Lisin becomes Marcel Hossa and/or Callahan reverts back to being a third liner who gets 30-35 points per season?

We have a load of defensemen. Even defensive defensemen are plenty: Staal, McD, Girardi, Sauer, Valentenko.

Our one area of need are offensive wingers. Neither Cally nor Lusin will be offensive dynamos, so unless some in another position is much more talented, we should go with a winger.

P.S. I am not counting Gabby for 2 reasons. First, contract will be over. Second, we can't rely on his health this year, much less in 2014-2015 and beyond.
Isn't it a little silly to not count Gabby in that analysis but include Callahan and Lisin? We don't know what will happen with them, either.

Old
10-20-2009, 11:46 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

umm... i believe you forgot about Grachev. he is a LW. and is our best prospect.

Old
10-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Teemu Pulkkinen needs surgery on his wrist and should be out 3 months.

If that causes the kid to slide in the draft, the Rangers need to be on it like a fat kid on a cupcake. He's a little small but his skill is undeniable. He's 5'11/180lbs right now, but I think he could end up being 6'0 or 6'1.

I love his attitude as well, he reminds me of Prucha in that regard.

Old
10-20-2009, 12:15 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

If the skilled forward and D-man are both on the board and their relatively equal, you take the skilled forward. However, look at 2008 - you've got MDZ and Tedenby on the board. You've got Staal, Girardi, Tyutin, Sauer, Sanguinetti and Potter all in the organization. Tedenby should have been the choice, right? The only time I disagree with this method is taking goalies...too long to develop, and not nearly as much value as D-men and forwards.

Old
10-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
umm... i believe you forgot about Grachev. he is a LW. and is our best prospect.
Yes, I did. That was just a brain cramp. In any event, my point stands.

We have a tremendous number and quality of defensemen. We are very solid at center.

But on the wing, we have only Grachev, Kreider, Callahan, Lisin and Bourque as potential first or second liners. The problem is that 3 of them are prospects and Lisin hasn't proved he can be a 3rd liner, much less a second liner. Cally is decent, but he alone can't pull the team up.

If we could get another Kreider + Bourque in the next draft, we'd be much more solid on the wing. A first rounder and a high-risk, high-return prospect is exactly what we need on the wing.

Old
10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Isn't it a little silly to not count Gabby in that analysis but include Callahan and Lisin? We don't know what will happen with them, either.
In 5 years, Lisin and Callahan will be 28 and 29, smack in the middle of their prime. They have been perfectly healthy so far, so there's no reason to expect early retirement. I know many things can happen in 5 years, like trades, busts, surprises, free agents. But I am just going on the information available, and right now, we can reasonably expect them to play in the NHL.

Five years from now, Gabby will be almost 33 and he's known to have injury problems. I just don't think that at this point, you can rely on Gabby producing at high level, if at all, in his mid-30s.

I am not doing my analysis to say that I know for a fact that these players will play.

What I am saying is that if you are stacked in a given position, you are ready to meet any challenges.

Sanger didn't impress enough? Neither did Heineken or Sauer? Who cares, we have Gilroy and DZ. That's what happens when you are loaded.

Unfortunately, we are not loaded on our wings. That's the one position of real weakness within the system.

If we can load up with 2-3 more quality prospects on the wing, we'll be in solid shape.

Kreider fails? Ok, we'll still be good if Bourque makes it. If he fails, we'll still be good if the 2010 first rounder makes it.

Most prospects fail, which is why you have to have at least twice as many prospects as positions that need to be filled. We have 5 potential guys for 4 winger spots on the top 2 lines. We really need are 8 or more.

Old
10-20-2009, 01:08 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Yes, I did. That was just a brain cramp. In any event, my point stands.

We have a tremendous number and quality of defensemen. We are very solid at center.

But on the wing, we have only Grachev, Kreider, Callahan, Lisin and Bourque as potential first or second liners. The problem is that 3 of them are prospects and Lisin hasn't proved he can be a 3rd liner, much less a second liner. Cally is decent, but he alone can't pull the team up.

If we could get another Kreider + Bourque in the next draft, we'd be much more solid on the wing. A first rounder and a high-risk, high-return prospect is exactly what we need on the wing.

I'm not disagreeing with you. just pointing it out.

I do agree that we should go for a forward... but I don't think in should necessarily be a winger. But it should be a high reward type player. Players can always convert. I think we should go BFA, unless an amazing defensemen really falls down to us at the #30 pick

Old
01-11-2010, 07:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Top 60 prospects from Hockeyprospect.com

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/index....5:hp-originals

Central Scouting is releasing their mid season list today

Old
01-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Top 60 prospects from Hockeyprospect.com

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/index....5:hp-originals

Central Scouting is releasing their mid season list today
That list is a *****g joke, Granlund at 27th... and he has not even played in Kärpät in a YEAR

Old
01-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latexi84 View Post
That list is a *****g joke, Granlund at 27th... and he has not even played in Kärpät in a YEAR

The list isn't terrible, but you're right; There's no way in hell Granlund is falling that far.

To be honest, I think this could be another year where a Russian slides to us in the mid-late first round. The debacle with Filatov is scaring a lot of scouts and GM's.

Here's a mock from Dobberhockey. Not my favorite site in the world, but it's a pretty solid mock IMO:

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...bugg&Itemid=97

Old
01-11-2010, 10:28 AM
ecemleafs

best player available. just not a goalie.

Old
01-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Trade up to get Tarasenko. From what ive heard this guy is going to be a player.

Old
01-11-2010, 10:38 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

In Clark I trust.

I know he'll make the right decision.

Old
01-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Blazephr

Special 'On the Fly' draft edition to air Jan. 11

On Monday, Jan. 11, the NHL Network presents a special 30-minute edition of "On The Fly: Central Scouting Mid-Season Rankings," airing at 7:00 p.m. ET. It will also be streamed live on NHL.com.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=512909

Old
01-20-2010, 10:26 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Bumpin' this bad boy back up. Any draft thoughts go here!

It's just pain.
Old
01-20-2010, 10:32 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Since so many people seem to not know where the CSS rankings are, here's the link: http://centralscouting.nhl.com/

Old
01-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Fowler, Seguin and Kabanov...2011 is being described as historically awful.
Quick Trade our 1st in 2011 for a first in 2010!

Closed Thread