HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger fans unite..sign Umberger or don't renew season tickets! Support please!

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2004, 01:39 PM
jdsrangers

vCash: 500
Ranger fans unite..sign Umberger or don't renew season tickets! Support please!

I have a hard time understanding how Sather will overpay for a 33 thru 43 year old has been but can't find the money to pay future stars like Umberger and hobey winner Junior Lessard!

Hey: Slats maybe Mess wants a 3 year deal!

I would like other season ticketholders to call the MSG season ticket desk and spead the word if Sather doesn't sign Umberger there not going renewing there my season tickets.

I have been a season ticket holder since 1988 and a fan since 1964. Sather is taking this team to an all time low and it must be stopped.

If they don't sign Umberger..call and send a message..we the paying fans aren't going to take it anymore!

Old
04-11-2004, 01:45 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Can we wait and see...

if, possibly, perhaps, that the plan might simply be posturing to get BOTH Umberger and the pick?

Old
04-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsrangers
I have a hard time understanding how Sather will overpay for a 33 thru 43 year old has been but can't find the money to pay future stars like Umberger and hobey winner Junior Lessard!

To be honest with you, I'm going to hold off on that. Glen Sather's attitude a year ago and his attitude now has changed -- well, maybe not, but his outlook on this team sure has.

If he doesn't sign Umberger or Lessard, it's not the end of the world. However, if he doesn't put up the cash to sign them and instead resorts to another 37 year old, then I'll be mad. I'll wait and see...

Old
04-11-2004, 01:54 PM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
if, possibly, perhaps, that the plan might simply be posturing to get BOTH Umberger and the pick?
jas: I wrote the Umberger theory(sign & get pick) that you are talking about on this board, hockeybird and the MSG board.

You wish Sather was that smart. What is Sather game plan? Will he use the $$ that it will take to sign Umberger and sign a couple of 40 year old has beens!! (I hear Adam Oates is available)!

Remember that those of you that feel: hey we got Umberger for nothing...Umberger can play on this team next year, how many second round picks make the NHL and can play in the year they are drafted! You can count them on one finger.....the same one that Sather is giving us!! :mad:

Old
04-11-2004, 01:57 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
jas: I wrote the Umberger theory(sign & get pick) that you are talking about on this board, hockeybird and the MSG board.

You wish Sather was that smart. What is Sather game plan? Will he use the $$ that it will take to sign Umberger and sign a couple of 40 year old has beens!! (I hear Adam Oates is available)!

Remember that those of you that feel: hey we got Umberger for nothing...Umberger can play on this team next year, how many second round picks make the NHL and can play in the year they are drafted! You can count them on one finger.....the same one that Sather is giving us!! :mad:
Let's see, he used the various loopholes to get picks for Fleury, Leetch and Messier. He used waiver deal to avoid paying Quintal. Whether or not you think Sather is smart, to suggest he might do such thing is TOTALLY consistent with previous behavior.

Old
04-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Barnaby

Who says he's not being signed because of the money? Maybe Sather would rather take the pick....

or both...

Old
04-11-2004, 02:08 PM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
To be honest with you, I'm going to hold off on that. Glen Sather's attitude a year ago and his attitude now has changed -- well, maybe not, but his outlook on this team sure has.

If he doesn't sign Umberger or Lessard, it's not the end of the world. However, if he doesn't put up the cash to sign them and instead resorts to another 37 year old, then I'll be mad. I'll wait and see...
Leetch..As I stated before I have been paying top $4 for season tickets since 1988. I see a young kid like Umberger that at the least is a #3 center with an upside to be a #1 center. We don't have any centers in waiting at Hartford...this kid is what we need next season.

Sather doesn't have a clue what his next move will be.

Something to think about:

Sather GAVE Nedved away to the Oilers for NOTHING. The prospect they got won't even get signed(too small and showed nothing in college). Sure Slats got a #2 pick but why wouldn't he also have a clause that if Nedved resigns with the Oilers the Rangers get additional compensation. Do you realize that the Rangers paid the remander of Nedveds salary for this season!

Sather made some good/bad moves at the deadline. He MUST continue to sign young talent. Not signing Umberger will come back to haunt us. We will look at the player Sather draft with the 46th pick in this draft and compare this pick to Umberger. Sather will be long gone by then!

Old
04-11-2004, 02:14 PM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Let's see, he used the various loopholes to get picks for Fleury, Leetch and Messier. He used waiver deal to avoid paying Quintal. Whether or not you think Sather is smart, to suggest he might do such thing is TOTALLY consistent with previous behavior.
JAS: If Sather does this I would love it.

BUT what about when Sather lost out on Kurt Sauer, when he was a UFA, for less than $50,000! Sather blinked and lost out!

Enough said!

Old
04-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Leetch..As I stated before I have been paying top $4 for season tickets since 1988. I see a young kid like Umberger that at the least is a #3 center with an upside to be a #1 center. We don't have any centers in waiting at Hartford...this kid is what we need next season.

Sather doesn't have a clue what his next move will be.

Something to think about:

Sather GAVE Nedved away to the Oilers for NOTHING. The prospect they got won't even get signed(too small and showed nothing in college). Sure Slats got a #2 pick but why wouldn't he also have a clause that if Nedved resigns with the Oilers the Rangers get additional compensation. Do you realize that the Rangers paid the remander of Nedveds salary for this season!

Sather made some good/bad moves at the deadline. He MUST continue to sign young talent. Not signing Umberger will come back to haunt us. We will look at the player Sather draft with the 46th pick in this draft and compare this pick to Umberger. Sather will be long gone by then!
Sather didn't GIVE Nedved away. He took a player who would play about 10 more games with us, and turned it into a decent prospect (He was named the best defensive player and college, and has great speed so he has shown something.)with a legit shot at an NHL future and a 2nd round pick. We don't want Nedved back... if we couldv'e gotten nothing but a 3rd it wouldv'e been a great move. Not having Nedved was even beneficial down the stretch because more of the young players got ice time, and we had less of a chance to get more points.

How do you know we need Umberger. His character and work ethis has been questioned EVERYWHERE he has been. Why do you think Vancouver wouldn't pony up an offer equal to that of Kesler - a later pick? Do you really want another guy with an attitude of a Brendl or Daigle?

Maybe Umberger is the real deal, and maybe he isn't. If the Rangers don't sign him, it's NOT due to money. Sather has a HUGE ego. If he thinks he will turn around and be a 1st line center, then he will sign him so that he can look brilliant for the rest of his life.

Again..... don't underestimate the possibility of Sather getting the pick and Umberger. Knowing Sather it's a distinct possibility.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:35 PM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Sather didn't GIVE Nedved away. He took a player who would play about 10 more games with us, and turned it into a decent prospect (He was named the best defensive player and college, and has great speed so he has shown something.)with a legit shot at an NHL future and a 2nd round pick. We don't want Nedved back... if we couldv'e gotten nothing but a 3rd it wouldv'e been a great move. Not having Nedved was even beneficial down the stretch because more of the young players got ice time, and we had less of a chance to get more points.

How do you know we need Umberger. His character and work ethis has been questioned EVERYWHERE he has been. Why do you think Vancouver wouldn't pony up an offer equal to that of Kesler - a later pick? Do you really want another guy with an attitude of a Brendl or Daigle?

Maybe Umberger is the real deal, and maybe he isn't. If the Rangers don't sign him, it's NOT due to money. Sather has a HUGE ego. If he thinks he will turn around and be a 1st line center, then he will sign him so that he can look brilliant for the rest of his life.

Again..... don't underestimate the possibility of Sather getting the pick and Umberger. Knowing Sather it's a distinct possibility.
Barney: I want Umberber signed. I know the sign and pick I was one of the first to write about it. Sather is taking a big chance. Remember 2 years ago when Sather though he had Kurt Saurer locked up but wouldn't give him the $50k that Saurer wanted and we lost out to the Ducks. Sather isn't as sharp as he use to be and the Rangers need help today..with young players to build on. What is the worst that will happen if Sather signs Umberger? He proves to be a bust and we took a chance (losing $2M --same as eating Nedveds and other has beens Sather has signed in the past, present & future

The best outcome would be for Umberger to be the #1 center on a line with his boyhood idol Jagr..that would be SWEET!!!

Sather didn't get as much as he could have for Nedved. Since we paid his salary (and gave up JussieM), Sather should have had a clause for a conditional pick if the Oilers resign him. If Nedved walks-- Edmonton will get an additional pick next season. Slats could have done better!

Old
04-11-2004, 02:45 PM
BLACKBURN

Lets not get carried away here. Us (the fans) know practically nothing about what is happening in the organization, and literally nothing that is going on in Glen Sathers head. All we can do is speculate and try and gather what information we can. At the end of the day R.J. is the one who decides which organziation he is going to be with and if hed rather sign elsewhere, why would we want him? We need heart and soul, team players. Ive seen WAY too many cash grabbing, un-commited players in this organization recently, it dosent matter if they are 21 or 41.

It wont be just Slats who's evaluating him, it will be the Packs staff amongst other people. I also feel that Burke is one of the smartest guys in hockey and that if he has passed up on the kid then he isnt the next coming.

Old
04-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Servo

Regarding the strategy of letting the rights expire before signing him to get the pick, are we sure that's allowed if he signs with the Rangers anyway? That loophole seems so much easier than the "trades" to generate draft picks that someone would have thought to close it, even the NHL.

Old
04-11-2004, 03:06 PM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:

Hey: Slats maybe Mess wants a 3 year deal!

I would like other season ticketholders to call the MSG season ticket desk and spead the word if Sather doesn't sign Umberger there not going renewing there my season tickets.

I have been a season ticket holder since 1988 and a fan since 1964. Sather is taking this team to an all time low and it must be stopped.

If they don't sign Umberger..call and send a message..we the paying fans aren't going to take it anymore!
that is insane over a kid ,u want to do all this protesting, dude thats insane hes a snotty little 21 year old who only will take one mill a season when he has nothing to prove yet. all we know is he can score but we thoought so could lundmark, but we also know the kid is known to be lazy and uncompetitive.. so why u want him so bad there are tons of kids out there just as good if not better ... so relax on all that protesting, please

Old
04-11-2004, 03:10 PM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Barney: I want Umberber signed. I know the sign and pick I was one of the first to write about it. Sather is taking a big chance. Remember 2 years ago when Sather though he had Kurt Saurer locked up but wouldn't give him the $50k that Saurer wanted and we lost out to the Ducks. Sather isn't as sharp as he use to be and the Rangers need help today..with young players to build on. What is the worst that will happen if Sather signs Umberger? He proves to be a bust and we took a chance (losing $2M --same as eating Nedveds and other has beens Sather has signed in the past, present & future

The best outcome would be for Umberger to be the #1 center on a line with his boyhood idol Jagr..that would be SWEET!!!

Sather didn't get as much as he could have for Nedved. Since we paid his salary (and gave up JussieM), Sather should have had a clause for a conditional pick if the Oilers resign him. If Nedved walks-- Edmonton will get an additional pick next season. Slats could have done better!
thats actually not true with sauer completley . sauer wanted to play in anaheim also in a way because he said that he knoew he would get to play there , he said he never knoew if he would in ny so he choose tro play in anaheiim. also rumor is edm might sign nedved to a 2year or 3 year deal, re do the contract at about 3- 3.5 mill a season , they say since he came hes playing excellent hockey and him and his buddy dvo are together and both are rejuvinated. maybe edm will now go after hlavah and complete the czech mates line, ya never know

Old
04-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Lets not get carried away here. Us (the fans) know practically nothing about what is happening in the organization, and literally nothing that is going on in Glen Sathers head. All we can do is speculate and try and gather what information we can. At the end of the day R.J. is the one who decides which organziation he is going to be with and if hed rather sign elsewhere, why would we want him? We need heart and soul, team players. Ive seen WAY too many cash grabbing, un-commited players in this organization recently, it dosent matter if they are 21 or 41.

It wont be just Slats who's evaluating him, it will be the Packs staff amongst other people. I also feel that Burke is one of the smartest guys in hockey and that if he has passed up on the kid then he isnt the next coming.

This is pretty much eaxctly how i feel as well. Good post.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:11 PM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay 'n skeeta
that is insane over a kid ,u want to do all this protesting, dude thats insane hes a snotty little 21 year old who only will take one mill a season when he has nothing to prove yet. all we know is he can score but we thoought so could lundmark, but we also know the kid is known to be lazy and uncompetitive.. so why u want him so bad there are tons of kids out there just as good if not better ... so relax on all that protesting, please
This is the straw that broke the camels back! I have been paying $5,000 a year and during the past seven season no playoffs.

Jay 'n skeeta: The last time that I checked the Rangers don't have any top 6 forwards in the organization. Umberger has a big upside and I know you don't agree but this is a must signing for Sather.

Lets look at the possible outcomes:

1) We sign him and he is a bust. We just waisted $2M to find out that Umberger can't play. Sather has waisted $$ before on some over-the-hill(UFA) free agents and he just traded Nedved and paid his salary to make the deal. So money shouldn't be the main factor.

2) We get the 46th pick in the 2nd round of this years draft. Even if the pick pans out it will be 3 to 4 years before we see him play. Chances are , the player won't be signed or he will play in Hartford. See our draft history.

3) We sign Umberger and he makes the team as a #3 center with some size. Then one day in the not to distant future gets to play on the #1 line with his boyhood idol Jagr.

I can't see us getting a player with a bigger upside with the 46th pick in the draft. Umberger will have plenty to prove and as I said before he would like nothing more than to play with Jagr.

I want to see Sather sign a kid with an upside instead of a vet with his future behind him. If Umberger was in this years draft he would be a top 10 pick, how can we afford to turn our back on this type of player. The Rangers don't have one player in the system that can be mentioned as a possible # 1 center....we can't let him get away..Maybe Sather can pretend that Umberger is a 35 year old ex-oiler, he would sign him in a heartbeat!

Well, thanks for letting me vent! Happy Easter to All & to all a good night!

Old
04-11-2004, 04:52 PM
LondonFan

Dude, we got the right to RJ in the Rucinsky trade, not the Nedved trade.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:59 PM
in the hall

only way i wouldnt renew is if there is a clear indication we are not going the route of rebuilding

of course this is easy to say when you dont have the letter in your hands and see nothing but optimism.. damn them

Old
04-11-2004, 05:17 PM
xander

ok, this is getting rediculus. With a few exceptions, most of us on this board (including myself) have never seen the kid play, or if they have certainly not for more than a game or two. I'm not sure how there can be such outrage over this kid not being signed. How do you know he's better than the 46th pick?
The one thing that most of us here do know about umberger is that he's refused to sign contracts with 2 teams now (I know the rangers didn't make him a big offer but his agent said they'd have to give him the max.) Maybe rebuilding is more than just playing kids, maybe it's a change in attitude about how you deal with players, like not letting 21 year old kids who've proven nothing at the NHL, or even the AHL, level walk all over you. This team has been run by overpaid stars who refused to play hard or buy into a system becouse the organization has consistently given in and let them run the show. If we give into a kid like umberger then we're just fostering that attidude in our newly aquired youth.
If umberger thinks he can get the max as a free agent than let him walk, i think he's in for a big suprise. What team is gonna give a 21 year old who hasn't played in a year, proven nothing on the profesional level, and may have an attidtude problem, a lucrative contract?

Old
04-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Skroob*

The funny part is, this is a kid looking for money, but wants to play for the Penguins. (yeah, i know he said hed give him a discout, but still )

Old
04-11-2004, 05:58 PM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
This is the straw that broke the camels back! I have been paying $5,000 a year and during the past seven season no playoffs.

Jay 'n skeeta: The last time that I checked the Rangers don't have any top 6 forwards in the organization. Umberger has a big upside and I know you don't agree but this is a must signing for Sather.

Lets look at the possible outcomes:

1) We sign him and he is a bust. We just waisted $2M to find out that Umberger can't play. Sather has waisted $$ before on some over-the-hill(UFA) free agents and he just traded Nedved and paid his salary to make the deal. So money shouldn't be the main factor.

2) We get the 46th pick in the 2nd round of this years draft. Even if the pick pans out it will be 3 to 4 years before we see him play. Chances are , the player won't be signed or he will play in Hartford. See our draft history.

3) We sign Umberger and he makes the team as a #3 center with some size. Then one day in the not to distant future gets to play on the #1 line with his boyhood idol Jagr.

I can't see us getting a player with a bigger upside with the 46th pick in the draft. Umberger will have plenty to prove and as I said before he would like nothing more than to play with Jagr.

I want to see Sather sign a kid with an upside instead of a vet with his future behind him. If Umberger was in this years draft he would be a top 10 pick, how can we afford to turn our back on this type of player. The Rangers don't have one player in the system that can be mentioned as a possible # 1 center....we can't let him get away..Maybe Sather can pretend that Umberger is a 35 year old ex-oiler, he would sign him in a heartbeat!

Well, thanks for letting me vent! Happy Easter to All & to all a good night!
well, now these comments make alot more sense i agree , but i wouldnt count on him as a #1, spezza yes umberger i would say a second. u never know he can be a first but who knows and what u said about youngstars not playing and sitting in hartford for 3 or 4 years thats not the fact anymore. well i hope so atleast. if he was signed most likely he would be in the lineup if in training camp proves he can compete at the nhl level. and also if signed a fact i believe he would be brought up during the regular season if any injuries occur with up side so good he would be given the chance to play. but you are so high on this kid the point he is known to be very uncompetitive is his down side, so u should look at both views . yeah he can score but if he dont a waste of time. and 46th overall most likely wont compare to him being a first but look at bure he was like a 5th or 6th round pick so u really cant say because of the round u are picked is what youo are gonna be unless you are in like the first 10 overall in the first . if nooot most of these kids kind of wind up as a flop and yes we have wasted money on old vets and did watse 3 mill paying off nedveds contact so 2 mill is not much to spend. but the kids downside is pretty even with his upside and alot of teams know about his down side and dont like it . they know he can score ( maybe ) but him being uncompetitive is a very very high downside of the kid. without emotion what will he be another lundmark or malhotra, malhotra really didnt get the opportunity but when he was moved on and given the chance with dallas hasnt done much , and now with cmbs bluejackets is he prime chance playing on a first with nash so lets see..... happy easter bro

Old
04-11-2004, 06:08 PM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
ok, this is getting rediculus. With a few exceptions, most of us on this board (including myself) have never seen the kid play, or if they have certainly not for more than a game or two. I'm not sure how there can be such outrage over this kid not being signed. How do you know he's better than the 46th pick?
The one thing that most of us here do know about umberger is that he's refused to sign contracts with 2 teams now (I know the rangers didn't make him a big offer but his agent said they'd have to give him the max.) Maybe rebuilding is more than just playing kids, maybe it's a change in attitude about how you deal with players, like not letting 21 year old kids who've proven nothing at the NHL, or even the AHL, level walk all over you. This team has been run by overpaid stars who refused to play hard or buy into a system becouse the organization has consistently given in and let them run the show. If we give into a kid like umberger then we're just fostering that attidude in our newly aquired youth.
If umberger thinks he can get the max as a free agent than let him walk, i think he's in for a big suprise. What team is gonna give a 21 year old who hasn't played in a year, proven nothing on the profesional level, and may have an attidtude problem, a lucrative contract?
well said.... if u read my post on the first page i thihink very much the same and the second page.. but you know yeah he turned down offers with 2 teams but remember im sure his agent is filling his head with all these money issues, and the kid can be in a tight position the agent needs a cut to , and can be taking advantage of this unexpieienced kid... his agent telling dont take no less you are a 1 st line u deserve the max etc, can be screwing him up...... so there can be 2 sides to this signing thing, but to me he mainly seems like a snot nose little brat

Old
04-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
correct me if im wrong but doesnt sather have 2 more months to sign umberger? if you cant hang on for a few months, i shudder at the thought of what youll be like during the YEARS of rebuilding :lol

Old
04-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

Quote:
future stars like Umberger and hobey winner Junior Lessard!

Mike Mottau was a Hobey Baker Award Winner as well...

Old
04-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Zoo

Sorry guys Umberger is coming to Pittsburgh you can count on it.

Closed Thread