HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Marketing / Fan Interest

Old
10-18-2009, 09:44 PM

vCash: 500
I think the media coverage is overrated. Every time I can remember for the longest time people have raved how the media needs to step up and cover hockey more. It's not going to make any significant difference, the most important thing in selling a sport in this market is winning. No team that has been any less than a playoff team in any sport has sustained its fan-base or attendance. I think the Coyotes have an added challenge of attracting people to the sport which I think honestly needs to be focused on as well as winning. People aren't going to pay $65 a ticket for lower level seats unless they are dedicated to the team. No amount of media or gimmick is going to change that.

A good question is who would go see the Coyotes for $25 a seat in the lower bowl? Maybe someone who's willing to spend a little cash to take the family out to the game. A guy who hasn't followed hockey but is looking for a fun date. A couple of teenagers who just got their license and are spending their hard earned minimum wage income. The value does not currently match the price as hockey has low value in Arizona. Simple truth.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:45 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
I think the biggest obstacle for the Coyotes is pricing their tickets at an appropriate value. Sure, you can say NHL tickets are worth $X but in this economy and market I think you have to put that in perspective and see what the real value of the tickets are.

For example, they do that deal for the home opener and sell out with standing room only. $25 lower level, $15 upper level -- it doesn't take a genius to figure out that is probably more likely the pricing structure that is going to pack the house than the one in place. I know they are going to lose a lot of money on that pricing structure, but they are going to lose a lot of money on an empty arena too.

I'd focus all on the value right now, get people going to the games, and that will get them hooked and as the economy improves they can adjust their prices appropriately. Obviously you have some major challenges such as season tickets and other sold tickets, but solutions are out there for innovative thinkers.
As STH we get our seats at a nice discount off the gate price (as we should) and the opportunity to buy additional tickets to games at further discounts in most sections. They already announced the "We Win, You Win," promotion. What about a "Be a STH Holder for a Night" promotion and put seats on sale at ST prices?

Maybe 5 games. Categories F-L. Exclude only premium Toyota and Comerica clubs lower bowl tickets. Include all other Lower Bowl, regular Comerica Club, and all Upper Level seats. And hand them a voucher when they enter to take advantage of the deal for a future game. The more they take advantage of the offer the more they're returning.

They'd save 20% - 50% off the gate price for every game they attend. And if the team is afraid STH would get POd, throw us a bone. I don't think many would object if it helps fill the stands and generates cash at levels above the $15 and $25 per seat for the opener.

And of course the sales and marketing departments can sell their ***** off on partial season plans to guarantee same seats for the rest of the season. And add some playoff priority if they buy a certain amount of games.

I've put the word out to several folks who are having a hard time that if they want tickets to a game, let me know since I can get LL from $30 - $80, and UL from $10 - $21 per seat. I'm sure many of you do the same.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:06 PM
TucsonYotesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
As STH we get our seats at a nice discount off the gate price (as we should) and the opportunity to buy additional tickets to games at further discounts in most sections. They already announced the "We Win, You Win," promotion. What about a "Be a STH Holder for a Night" promotion and put seats on sale at ST prices?

Maybe 5 games. Categories F-L. Exclude only premium Toyota and Comerica clubs lower bowl tickets. Include all other Lower Bowl, regular Comerica Club, and all Upper Level seats. And hand them a voucher when they enter to take advantage of the deal for a future game. The more they take advantage of the offer the more they're returning.

They'd save 20% - 50% off the gate price for every game they attend. And if the team is afraid STH would get POd, throw us a bone. I don't think many would object if it helps fill the stands and generates cash at levels above the $15 and $25 per seat for the opener.

And of course the sales and marketing departments can sell their ***** off on partial season plans to guarantee same seats for the rest of the season. And add some playoff priority if they buy a certain amount of games.

I've put the word out to several folks who are having a hard time that if they want tickets to a game, let me know since I can get LL from $30 - $80, and UL from $10 - $21 per seat. I'm sure many of you do the same.

That's very cool that you offer those discounts out to others! I agree that the "STH For A Night" promotion sounds good. Maybe they could incorporate the backstage access after the game that they used to offer STH's on occasion. I'm not sure if they are still doing that or not.

Some have mentioned media coverage (or lack thereof) and others have debated the value. I think that there are some opportunities for the Coyotes marketing dept. to really sell the "Pack Mentality" and "Us Against The World" view for hte team. If local media started selling the idea of the ultimate underdog story or "The Little Engine That Could" story of the hockey team, it might sell to the masses. There is a story to be told if it is framed correctly. It would be up to the Yotes Mktg. Dept. to start and see if the media masses would bite. All of that would be predicated by the team hanging in and overachieving.

As for the catering to Bickley's suggestion of dropping the retro "White Out", I think he suggested that because it was a tie to Winnipeg. The lackluster performance on Opening Night probably solidified his argument. (An exciting victory may have led to an entirely different article. Who knows?) In any case, I don't know that he would have a negative reaction to the retro unis. It likely couldn't happen until next season but I thought that it was worth kicking around the idea. Those old unis certainly made us more recognizable.

TucsonYotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Well the reason those shows are on Sunday is probably because of football. Plus I'm not sure I'd want the current crop of local sports people discussing Coyotes hockey anyway. They probably have no idea what they are talking about.
The shows are on Sunday nights even when it is not football season. There is local media who knows hockey (McCabe)...ok so there's 1 As long as the others can read from a teleprompter that the Coyotes are in first place and mention the win-win hockey ticket promo, they could generate a few ticket sales.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:

Ding! Ding! We have a winner, good idea! Certainly better than the we win you win promotion.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:

A very good idea as well! Of course too any type of ticket plan that someone buys should also have sometype of playoff priority in addition priority to buy a season seat first.

Plus I would include the idea on having some Saturday night to include a college/military discount where upper bowl tickets are $10 and certain lower bowl sections are $10.

Hell let's offer some discount to the athletes of the other 3 sports to enjoy a game in a skybox. I wouldn't mind noticing Kurt Warner being spotted upon and shown on the jumbotron.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:57 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Hell let's offer some discount to the athletes of the other 3 sports to enjoy a game in a skybox. I wouldn't mind noticing Kurt Warner being spotted upon and shown on the jumbotron.
Posted via Mobile Device
One time Luis Gonzalez was at the game and they showed a picture and everyone cheered. Then they put the caption, "Luis Gonzalez - LosAngeles Dodger" and everyone booed. Good times.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:16 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonYotesFan View Post
College nights could be a good idea. Maybe they could dole out some free tix and drink vouchers to hot coeds and the males would flock to the arena! Singles night?
I kinda like this idea. Ladies' Night at the Job--has a nice ring to it. You could incorporate it into the pregame ceremony: "It's Ladies' Night at the Job. The Coyotes invite the ladies in attendance to enjoy half-price beverages at all concession stands and 10% discounts on all merchandise at the Coyotes Den. And speaking of ladies, here's the starting lineup for the visiting ____ ____..."

Although a gender-based put-down, however mild and par-for-the-course it may be, might not be the best way to promote the thing. Perhaps this is why the team has not hired me to clean the toilets, much less run its marketing department.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
I kinda like this idea. Ladies' Night at the Job--has a nice ring to it. You could incorporate it into the pregame ceremony: "It's Ladies' Night at the Job. The Coyotes invite the ladies in attendance to enjoy half-price beverages at all concession stands and 10% discounts on all merchandise at the Coyotes Den. And speaking of ladies, here's the starting lineup for the visiting ____ ____..."

Although a gender-based put-down, however mild and par-for-the-course it may be, might not be the best way to promote the thing. Perhaps this is why the team has not hired me to clean the toilets, much less run its marketing department.
If they have a ladies night they might as well have a private show for the ladies involving Prytt to attract the puckbunnies to future game.

Certain games out of the year fans can experience a 15% discount on stuff at the gift shot just as the STH would!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
10-18-2009, 11:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
If they have a ladies night they might as well have a private show for the ladies involving Prytt to attract the puckbunnies to future game.

Certain games out of the year fans can experience a 15% discount on stuff at the gift shot just as the STH would!
Posted via Mobile Device
Private show? HAHA! Is this hockey or Christie's Cabaret?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Private show? HAHA! Is this hockey or Christie's Cabaret?
Ask that to half of the Penguins STH holder base! Then you'll know the answer!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
10-19-2009, 12:19 AM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

Has anyone seen the video of the Coyotes themed room? Check it out it's on the Coyotes website, this guy has one of the coolest rooms I've ever seen. He's a very dedicated fan, and needs to be on our boards! If he isn't already...

http://coyotes.nhl.com/

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:37 AM
ssmatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
it would be REALLY helpful if one of the 3 local sports stations would talk about the Coyotes on their 30 minute Sunday night sports show. The team is in first place in their division, has a 3-game winning streak, has the #1 statistical goalie & defense in the league (sidenote, the Bruins goal Saturday was not a 5 on 5 goal), and they have already beaten last years Stanley cup champs, Presidents trophy winner, and the mighty Bruins.

I'm guessing all 3 stations will spend 24 minutes covering the Cardinals, have one minute of local football highlights, 5 minutes of commercials, but no Coyotes coverage.
Watching 12 right now and they led off the sports with the Coyotes! Even before the Cards.

Edit: Tippet is actually in studio at 12 news in a minute.

Last edited by ssmatik: 10-19-2009 at 12:42 AM.
ssmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday

"And it's ladies night... tonight... at the palace hotel and ballroom."

Or jobing.com arena. Whatever.

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
Watching 12 right now and they led off the sports with the Coyotes! Even before the Cards.

Edit: Tippet is actually in studio at 12 news in a minute.
Tippet was on channel 15 as well (I think that or 10).

I saw most of the channel 12 which I flipped to after the watching the in-studio interview on the other channel.....Bruce Cooper asked how Tippet is doing so well with essentially the same lineup Gretzky had

Kevin Hunt asked about the team protecting home ice, something they hadn't done recent years

well, at least they had hockey and a live in-studio interview, can't expect the media types who never follow the team to actually know what they are talking about.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:26 AM
ower

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
I think the team just needs to keep winning until the ownership issue is resolved. A winning team with a new owner should help attendance a lot, but Ice Edge also needs to spread the word that the team is staying in Glendale.

Also, I fully support a move back to the old unis. Not only is it a good marketing technique, but I love those jerseys. And I know they're popular with Coyotes fans, since it seems like I see almost as many retro jerseys as I do the new design.
ugh! those old Jersey were garbage and tacky looking in my opinions. The colors were horrible and don't even give me started on the pipping\border. I was completely embarrassed when they unveiled them. I know it's cool and all to be retro this year, but those things looked more like something that my burrito from Taco Bell would come wrapped in then something a team should wear.

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 04:46 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
ugh! those old Jersey were garbage and tacky looking in my opinions. The colors were horrible and don't even give me started on the pipping\border. I was completely embarrassed when they unveiled them. I know it's cool and all to be retro this year, but those things looked more like something that my burrito from Taco Bell would come wrapped in then something a team should wear.
They were hideous. Embarrassing is a good word.

Old
10-19-2009, 04:48 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
They were hideous. Embarrassing is a good word.
I suppose it's subject but man do you guys have bland tastes or what?!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 04:58 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I suppose it's subject but man do you guys have bland tastes or what?!
My favorite uniforms in the NHL are the Kings' thirds, so I guess I do.

Old
10-19-2009, 05:00 AM
white_tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
It was me and I still really like the idea of a college night and a "student section" at the game. Give them a discount, a ride and a couple of free beers on the way to the game and I think it'll take off. If they have a ride they might even buy some beers at the game and if it's all in the same general section it will definitely help create a wild atmosphere that the Yotes could really use.

Oh and for the record I would love for them to switch back to the old logo. I think it was cool and very unique. Plus I'm tired of trying to "fit in" with the what is considered the NHL norm. They turned on us in an instant so screw them! Lets flaunt the crazy ass psycho Coyote!!

They already have Student Rush/Military discounts every weekday game M-Th.... They are supposedly in talks with the city to have Metro buses from Malls to the Light Rail then end of Light Rail to Arena and back. But that means dealing with the CIty and anyone living out here knows how that can be.

white_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:21 AM
ower

vCash: 966
i guess I do. You're right, it is subjective.

but to me, this looks like a schools arts n craft theme project

I don't really care for the logo, but the it's the border that really bugs me. Just way too much going on and too many colors.. red, black green, white, purple, sand...

and this looks like a Tex-mex fast food wrapper, granted it was the 3rd.. but still comes from the same era.

I am glad to hear the news leading with stories and the media is actually talking about the team.

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:47 AM
PhoPhan

When it comes to the Coyotes, the jersey issue is probably the one about which I feel strongest. The original jerseys this team had were among the best in any league, in any sport. The current set isn't fit for an ECHL team.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 07:07 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
When it comes to the Coyotes, the jersey issue is probably the one about which I feel strongest. The original jerseys this team had were among the best in any league, in any sport. The current set isn't fit for an ECHL team.
I'm with you on the originals, I almost always wear my black replica to games, though I don't think the current set is THAT bad.

But I will say the old greenie was repulsive.

Old
10-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Chootoi

Do the Coyotes not have a Flex ticket package? I was browsing the Yotes website and couldn't find anything like it. That's just rediculous if they don't something like that.

Pretty much all the junior teams around here have them. Basically you can get these Flex packs where you can buy a full season ticket package at a discount, half a season, 12 games, etc... but you can use any amount of tickets you want at a time. So basically if you bought the 12 game package you could go to 12 games or you could bring 11 friends and all go to one game, or use 3 here, 4 there, etc... It's not like we're worrying about sellouts right now.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:54 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
Do the Coyotes not have a Flex ticket package? I was browsing the Yotes website and couldn't find anything like it. That's just rediculous if they don't something like that.

Pretty much all the junior teams around here have them. Basically you can get these Flex packs where you can buy a full season ticket package at a discount, half a season, 12 games, etc... but you can use any amount of tickets you want at a time. So basically if you bought the 12 game package you could go to 12 games or you could bring 11 friends and all go to one game, or use 3 here, 4 there, etc... It's not like we're worrying about sellouts right now.
Never seen one from them. I would definitely be interested in something like that since I just can't go to all 41 games.