HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Wood vs. Composite

Old
10-20-2009, 11:30 AM
peicurler91

vCash: 500
I prefer wooden sticks, they don't break near as much as composite sticks

peicurler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How quickly do you break composites and where/how do they break?

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:39 PM
f2racer

IMHO, low end composite sticks (the ones you see online for $60 or less) are not worth it. You'll be better served by a good wood stick... That being said, if you're playing at a high enough level and/or have the cash to burn, composites definitely have their place.

f2racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:45 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I wish I had 15 composite sticks in a line to use. Must be nice!

And yeah I am bound to break a composite stick shaft at some point. Sticks do break no matter what they are made of ... I make sure I get a flex that can handle what my personal strength is.

Ovechkin uses a whippy flex that he is just too strong for. I could have the same problem if I used a 67 flex (I don't know what OV uses, I'm being sarcastic) as I weigh 240 lbs. It would snap I am sure very quickly.

But yeah he has 15 on the bench or whatever.

Nice! That rules for deals.
Ovechkin uses a 75 flex- which is probably similar to you using a 50 flex (based on assumptions that you're not as strong or tall as he is- height and strength are just as important as total poundage)

Seriously.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:12 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I love composite sticks because:

- I can get them in intermediate flex
- they don't torque open on hard shots
- the blade bottoms don't split after three games
- I can poke check with one hand easier
- low kickpoint for my wrist shots

I don't have anything against wood. I wish I could find Montreal sticks around here that are nice and whippy, but the only sticks are Bauers (too stiff and they torque open), Sherwoods (nice flex but the blades break apart after a few games), and Eastons (way too heavy, too stiff, and the blades break easily).

I have liked tapered composite shafts and wood blades in the past...if you take care of them and get high quality blades they last a decent time.
Montreal has gone pretty much OPS now, 150$ for top line and they are actually pretty good sticks.

I always seem to lose flex in a woodie as oppose to breaking them. Thats the Only reason i dont use wood. Am still thinking about grabbing a shaft or two and getting some Montreal blades, league starts soon. Plus R10 are becoming near extinct around my area but if you can find them they are like 160ish$

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Ovechkin uses a 75 flex- which is probably similar to you using a 50 flex (based on assumptions that you're not as strong or tall as he is- height and strength are just as important as total poundage)

Seriously.
I'm 6ft 4in and weigh about 240lbs. I do not know how strong I am to be honest.

I know I shoot very hard and am hard to move body on body with most people except a 300lb 6ft 8in guy who played D for us this past summer. Not sure where they grew him but cripes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How quickly do you break composites and where/how do they break?
I've used mine since December and have broken one blade on a misfired one timer. My height and weight is right above here .... big enough to and shoot hard enough to snap sticks if they were so brittle. I'll even admit i crapped on one piece composites in here because guys i played with were checking their blades after shooting a hard shot or breaking up a pass. Those were the OLD composites when they were new and not made as well as they are now. I no longer see people checking their sticks like that.

So again I was assuming these things without really having used anything but a 2 piece composite, now i have a few and use them very often and know how good they are.

Keep in mind that usually (it is often denied in here by the ones doing it) that when some one is breaking a lot of sticks they are either using the wrong flex as in too low of a flex of even too high of a flex OR they are shooting with poor mechanics and are doing the bull in a China shop thing trying to muscle hard shots instead of being fluid. Many people who use a two piece compo break blades right at the hosel joint because they are 5ft 6in and bought a 100 flex stick and then cut off 6 inches because they are short leaving them with a ridiculous 130 flex or higher. The stick doesn't have room to vibrate and recoil and breaks.

I swear if you have the correct setup you will NOT break composite sticks as often as any other type of stick out there.

I even remember the old aluminum shafts (i still have 5 in the closet) where people used the wrong flex, cut it too short and kept breaking wood blades off in the shaft where the hosel meets the metal.

They were affectionately called "boomerang launchers" because the blade would go flying across the ice. if one had their stuff setup right that would not have happened. I used aluminum shafts a lot and broke one blade off that way. The rest were regular wear because the blade was wood and that is what wood blades do.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 10-20-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have a nasty tendency to buy and sell things like crazy, so I rarely break anything.

In the last few years, I've only broken two composites. One was a TPS R2 Armor price point shaft that snapped the first time I used it. I saw three more do the same thing in my league and they had a known problem. The other was a Dolomite shaft that I cracked over the boards (wasn't having a good day).

I've broken three composite blades so far, one was a Bauer Vapor XX that cracked and fell apart, two were Christian Torch blades that snapped at the hosel (one on the first use and the other after six months of heavy use). Those also had a known issue.

Otherwise, I've used probably ten OPS, maybe 15-20 shafts, 20-30 different blades, and never had problems. Modern day stuff seems to hold up pretty well, and if you get sticks in the $150 range, they are a bit more durable than the $200+ models. Bauer One70/75, Easton ST, Reebok 7k/8k, Warrior Dolomite, all are really solid sticks that hold up very well.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:16 PM
noobman

I think we've all seen HockeyFan68's slapshot video. He's a tank and he's got a rocket of a slapshot... don't doubt his methods!

I found that I had a harder time controlling passes with a whippy stick. The 100 flex is decent for my size (6'2 190lb, though I think I need to be stronger to take full advantage of it)... I found the 85 flex sticks to be a lot worse.

Had I known then what I know now, I would have gotten a longer 85 stick and then used the markers to cut it down.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I think we've all seen HockeyFan68's slapshot video. He's a tank and he's got a rocket of a slapshot... don't doubt his methods!

I found that I had a harder time controlling passes with a whippy stick. The 100 flex is decent for my size (6'2 190lb, though I think I need to be stronger to take full advantage of it)... I found the 85 flex sticks to be a lot worse.

Had I known then what I know now, I would have gotten a longer 85 stick and then used the markers to cut it down.
I also have tried whippier sticks before and also did not like the feel when controlling passing especially with things like give and go redirect type passes.

I can see what you mean with that. Then again I am not known for my hands ... which is a sad fact of life for me

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 08:49 PM
GuitarAwesome

I use an 87 flex. I love the whippy part, it helps when I want a really nice release on a wristshot. I got a pro-stock Synergy SE from Ryan Potulny, and the flex isn't marked on pro stocks. It's AT LEAST 110. I'm sure it's higher, cause I can barely load the thing. Needless to say, it's rotting in my closet, awaiting use for ball hockey, when my current stick breaks

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote