HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL product delivery/Centre Ice fail?

Old
10-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nye View Post
Actually, I just checked. Do you see any national broadcasts of the NHL on a Sunday before February?

The first I saw was the CBC with a Boston-Montreal game on Feb 7.

What does that tell us?
I'm not sure what it tells us.

What does it tell you?

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:21 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not sure what it tells us.

What does it tell you?
I believe it tells us that until after the Super Bowl, hockey in the United States is a non-entity...from this several other conclusions can be made regarding the validity of teams in the southern States, Long Island etc., and the lack of fan support...

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
I believe it tells us that until after the Super Bowl, hockey in the United States is a non-entity...from this several other conclusions can be made regarding the validity of teams in the southern States, Long Island etc., and the lack of fan support...
nye was speaking of National broadcasts in Canada.

But I'm still not sure what he was on about.

The NHL would be king of telecasts in Canada whether it be any day from Monday thru to Sunday.

Old
10-18-2009, 09:33 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

I would have Hockey Weekend in Canada if I had any say. 4 games, all Canadian teams, all weekend. But leave it t CBCrap to have no balls or original ideas while still thinking the year is 1995

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:05 PM
nye

Quote:
nye was speaking of National broadcasts in Canada.

But I'm still not sure what he was on about.

The NHL would be king of telecasts in Canada whether it be any day from Monday thru to Sunday.

I think TSN is telling us they don't agree with you.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nye View Post
I think TSN is telling us they don't agree with you.
?

On what factual basis?

Other than that they don't do it and would prefer poker programming..

Old
10-18-2009, 10:49 PM
OilRick

vCash: 5895
Quote:
So its Sunday, the weather sucks outside and I was looking for some good hockey crack on the free Centre ice preview going on until October 24.

Centre Ice is being made available free so that customers can have a chance to assess whether they want to subscribe.

The only problem? No NHL games on tap today. Not one, nada.

How is it that a league with 30 teams has gaps in the schedule where theres days like this with no games played?

This is the second or third time I've noted a "no games today" blank in the NHL schedule. The second time its occurred on a Sunday.

Which leaves me to believe its intentional, and from a league that doesn't want to get murdered going up against NFL Sundays.

But avoiding that day is avoiding a huge potential audience and a day where people are relaxing and have time to watch a game or two. This would seem to be the best day of the week to get some exposure and promote your product. For the NHL and particularly Centre Ice during the free preview.

But unfortunately the moose sez: "Sorry, NHLWallyworld is closed today, please comeback some other time..."

If the NHL wants to seriously market their product as a high subscription paid service should it not actually provide consistent daily product? Or even attempt to.

How would anybody feel if the Movie channels or Super channels had black screens with no programming all day. Sorry, no movies today. On Sunday. Sorry we suck.

It seems to me this is poor service delivery and ill-advised scheduling strategy. It seems common sense that making your product available every day and especially on weekends would be the way to go.

If I get bored enough today I might actually watch an NFL game. (Although I seriously doubt it.)
I'm actually quite pissed today as well Replacement. I had the same surgery as JFJ had last winter on my back ten days ago, and I have another 20 days before I can walk any distance. So I ordered Center Ice, even though we had a free month of it. And so far I only watched about three games that I was interested in and I normally couldn't watch. But don't tell my wife!!!

But today I was quite pissed, I hate NFL football, there was no decent movies to watch, and to top it off I couldn't even watch a friggin hockey game!!! You poor guys are going to get an avalance of posts from me now

OilRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilRick View Post
I'm actually quite pissed today as well Replacement. I had the same surgery as JFJ had last winter on my back ten days ago, and I have another 20 days before I can walk any distance. So I ordered Center Ice, even though we had a free month of it. And so far I only watched about three games that I was interested in and I normally couldn't watch. But don't tell my wife!!!

But today I was quite pissed, I hate NFL football, there was no decent movies to watch, and to top it off I couldn't even watch a friggin hockey game!!! You poor guys are going to get an avalance of posts from me now
Well put sir.

Golden Bears didn't even have anything on tap today.

I'm tweaking for some local sports on a weekend. What a no event local sporting weekend.

I work late many weekdays, missed most of the EdmontonFootball and Hockey games that both occurred simultaneously Friday night..., the only Oiler game was PPV, again,, couldn't even record it, and I've had this strange twitching ever since..

Back to work tomorrow and I didn't get to watch ANY of our teams play all weekend.

Old
10-18-2009, 11:20 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Well put sir.

Golden Bears didn't even have anything on tap today.

I'm tweaking for some local sports on a weekend. What a no event local sporting weekend.

I work late many weekdays, missed most of the EdmontonFootball and Hockey games that both occurred simultaneously Friday night..., the only Oiler game was PPV, again,, couldn't even record it, and I've had this strange twitching ever since..

Back to work tomorrow and I didn't get to watch ANY of our teams play all weekend.
Sounds like the perfect beginning for a Bell ad. Never miss another moment of the action. You need HDpvr and PPV package. Then it doesnt matter when you work. Your wife will understand. You deserve it.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 01:07 AM
nye

Quote:
?

On what factual basis?

Other than that they don't do it and would prefer poker programming..

I think you just answered your own question.

If TSN is not willing to broadcast it, are you surprised the NHL is not rushing to schedule it?

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:56 AM
BlueChipper*

Sorry to get a tad OT, but Bell is adding 2 more NHL CI HD channels. That's awsome. From 4 to 6.

BlueChipper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
I am the Liquor

Found this article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,196874

Old
10-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Thanks for the link. Still muddy on this. NHL trying to say they did not consciously avoid those Sundays because there was no scheduling availability for cities. First of all this is BS and if the Oilers for instance wanted Sunday night they have proprietary scheduling at Rexall and could have easily played here Sunday instead of Monday.
The article then talks about how certain member teams would want to avoid their in town competitors. While this makes more sense theres a few teams in the league that aren't really competing with other in town bigwig teams.
There should be a couple games scheduled somewhere, bite the bullet so theres at least product to be had on CI.
The blackscreen days look mickey mouse.

Old
10-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Still muddy on this. NHL trying to say they did not consciously avoid those Sundays because there was no scheduling availability for cities. First of all this is BS and if the Oilers for instance wanted Sunday night they have proprietary scheduling at Rexall and could have easily played here Sunday instead of Monday.
The article then talks about how certain member teams would want to avoid their in town competitors. While this makes more sense theres a few teams in the league that aren't really competing with other in town bigwig teams.
There should be a couple games scheduled somewhere, bite the bullet so theres at least product to be had on CI.
The blackscreen days look mickey mouse.
So does having a lot of the games only available in SD. While that is ok if you have a regular tv, SD on an HDTV is especially bad for hockey. I will probably buy when all games are available in HD. Im really on the fence this year. I want to but Ive already spent 200 for the ppv.

As far as the article goes, it looks like the nhl is trying to pass the buck to the individual teams when it comes to the black Sundays.

Old
10-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Well the preview is over today and no I'm not paying for Centre Ice service.

The NHL isn't scheduling their product in any way to make this worthwhile. Today for instance 30 games on tap but all evening games and not one afternoon game. Great black screen programming on the CI channels vast majority of the day.

Another observation is that the "this game has been blacked out on this channel" is frankly annoying and extremely unhelpful. I formerly thought this occurred only with PPV, now it occurs ANY time a network broadcaster is televising the game. The message does not tell you what channel, just that its not on....

So you flip to TSN, nope, SNET, nope, TSN2 nope, swear a few times and wonder what bloody channel the game is actually on. W T F???

This should NEVER occur. The package is billed as a service. A service that allows you to watch all the games(except ppv) why all the black out bs of network games then?

Old
10-24-2009, 04:42 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

The NHL isn't scheduling their product in any way to make this worthwhile. Today for instance 30 games on tap but all evening games and not one afternoon game. Great black screen programming on the CI channels vast majority of the day.

Another observation is that the "this game has been blacked out on this channel" is frankly annoying and extremely unhelpful. I formerly thought this occurred only with PPV, now it occurs ANY time a network broadcaster is televising the game. The message does not tell you what channel, just that its not on....

So you flip to TSN, nope, SNET, nope, TSN2 nope, swear a few times and wonder what bloody channel the game is actually on. W T F???

This should NEVER occur. The package is billed as a service. A service that allows you to watch all the games(except ppv) why all the black out bs of network games then?
Sounds like you need hockeystreams.com my friend. They never take you for granted. And you can watch all the games at your convenience, whenever you like, for a fraction of the cost. Do it. Do it today. You can thank me later.

Old
10-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Sounds like you need hockeystreams.com my friend. They never take you for granted. And you can watch all the games at your convenience, whenever you like, for a fraction of the cost. Do it. Do it today. You can thank me later.
Whats the quality of the stream like?

Old
10-24-2009, 05:05 PM
theoil

Quote:

Agreed but seems to be unavoidable in a gate driven sport. They all want to have their games at the time of day most likely to attract walk up casual fans.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 05:09 PM
GSC

the NHL consistently fails with product delivery...figures that they'd make NHL Centre Ice available for a free preview when no games are scheduled.

WEAK.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 05:14 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Whats the quality of the stream like?
It has three settings. First is crap, second is good, third overwhelms my computer. The third setting hooked up to my new hdtv would be very good though. Second quality on the computer is very watchable though. Plus all the games are archived (up to a year) and you can watch them whenever you want.

Old
12-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Thread bump again. Its Saturday afternoon, -35windchill, wives predictably want to go shopping,(nothing deters them, not even the mutha of arctic cold fronts) men want to stay home and cuddle some hockey and brewskies and the NHL in its infinite wisdom has no afternoon games on...

again.

What is this? Fear of televised bowling competition?

While its again free center ice preview time till the 13th. Meanwhile theres a full 12 games on at the same time later this evening. When the wife will be whining about going out for dinner or some such thing..

If the NHL really wants to market this Center Ice product they need to stagger product times a little.

Because right now they're only marketing PVR's but Santa hasn't arrived yet..

Old
12-12-2009, 03:49 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Thread bump again. Its Saturday afternoon, -35windchill, wives predictably want to go shopping,(nothing deters them, not even the mutha of arctic cold fronts) men want to stay home and cuddle some hockey and brewskies and the NHL in its infinite wisdom has no afternoon games on...

again.

What is this? Fear of televised bowling competition?

While its again free center ice preview time till the 13th. Meanwhile theres a full 12 games on at the same time later this evening. When the wife will be whining about going out for dinner or some such thing..

If the NHL really wants to market this Center Ice product they need to stagger product times a little.

Because right now they're only marketing PVR's but Santa hasn't arrived yet..
Aw come on Replacement, there is always curling.

Old
12-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Aw come on Replacement, there is always curling.
That reminds me of a comedian here for the roar of the rings who asked a female Curler "Do you like to hurry hard when you're playing"...

Come to think of it that might be as good as oilgasm..

I think La senza could be a good sponsor..

Old
12-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
That reminds me of a comedian here for the roar of the rings who asked a female Curler "Do you like to hurry hard when you're playing"...
Whoa!

Old
12-12-2009, 04:10 PM
mpah

vCash: 50
speaking of CI

this is my first year of having it, so i am not sure but does SHAW offer the multi-vu channel where you can watch 6 games at once?

or is that only on Satellite?

thx

mpah is offline   Reply With Quote