HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

We need to make a deal!!!

Old
10-18-2009, 08:43 PM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
We need to make a deal!!!

At this point in the season is seems apparent that we need to make a deal that is going to help the current Preds line up

Teams that are also struggling or have available players:

TORONTO...take your pick of players...Blake, Ponikerovsky, Stajan, Hagman
Washington...Nylander,
Montreal...S. Koistyisn, Plekanec
NYI...nobody of interest
Florida...Horton, Dvorak
Edmonton...Nilsson

Deals:

Toronto gets: Tootoo and a 2nd Round pick

Nashville gets: Ponikerovsky and Mayers

Florida gets: Erat

Nashville gets: Horton

Edmonton gets: Hamhuis

Nashville gets: Gilbert and Nilsson

or

Chicago gets: Hamhuis and Ellis

Nashville gets: Byfuglien, Hjalmarsson, Crawford

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:30 PM
echlfreak

Kobasew acquired by Minnesota

Old
10-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Ok apparently you don't really know who is struggling on this team. It is Legwand and Erat who both have NTCs and make too much to stick them on the 3rd line. The only player who could be stuck down on a bottom line would be Hornqvist and so far he is the leading point getter for the team. A deal won't work for us. The only thing that will work will be Erat and Legwand making sure they get their 50 points a season and Sullivan getting back on the point per game pace.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

the TOR offer has some small merit.

the rest of your ideas are brutal for the non-NSH teams.

i also don't think you need to bring anyone in just yet. let JP get healthy and Horny and Jones get more ice. if in 3 weeks the ship is still sinking, maybe look for a deal.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Roger Explosion

We don't need to make a deal.

I'm confident that the team can turn their form around, especially Legwand/Sullivan which will go a long way to solving our lack of goal scoring.

Roger Explosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
the TOR offer has some small merit.

the rest of your ideas are brutal for the non-NSH teams.

i also don't think you need to bring anyone in just yet. let JP get healthy and Horny and Jones get more ice. if in 3 weeks the ship is still sinking, maybe look for a deal.
Spot on. The Toronto is the only one that reasonably makes sense, but isn't necessarily gonna get Burke to pull the trigger if offered. Erat has an NMC and what at this point looks like a horrible long-term contract - why would Florida trade him for Horton? Won't comment on the rest, I generally hate trade proposals because rarely do they ever address the needs and interests of both teams which is to be expected...

Spot on also about giving them time. The team has been unshackled and has been playing considerably better in an uptempo system even without the benefit of a single practice session or morning skate between the end of the Dallas game and this morning. The team is battling, they have dug deep and redoubled their efforts and it is showing on the ice.

Personally, I thought last night's decision not to throw any real set lines out there on a consistent basis was brilliant. Sure, it probably hurt a little that guys didn't necessarily have chemistry together, but it simplified the game for the skaters and told them that if they weren't "All In" they weren't playing. Players that hustled, skated hard, and battled got significant ice time. Players that stood around and were watching were benched (for the most part...). Everyone in the building knew that the Preds were outmatched talentwise, but there is a "No Excuses" culture in the dressing room and they knew that the only way they were going to hang in that game was to outwork the Caps.

This team is coming around. They practiced Sunday morning and have practices scheduled for both Monday and Tuesday mornings before flying out to Boston. Now is the time where they can refine the new, more aggressive system and set-up some lines to play in Boston. The effort level cannot waver and probably needs to continue to increase, but I think the message is clear that the players and coaching staff knows that and are dedicated to making sure it occurs.

Give them a little time, give them until the end of this road trip, before you start breaking up what they've begun to build. Unlike another professional team in this city, the Predators have not given up. They are not rolling over to play dead. They are dedicated to making sure the events of earlier this week are learned from, remembered, and never repeated...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:25 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Toronto gets: Tootoo and a 2nd Round pick

Nashville gets: Ponikarovsky and Mayers
Deal has some merit. I might do it.

Quote:
Florida gets: Erat

Nashville gets: Horton
Florida has zero reason to do this.

Quote:
Edmonton gets: Hamhuis

Nashville gets: Gilbert and Nilsson
Something else has to go in from our part if we're going to get Gilbert. Not to mention the enormous spike in payroll we would have if we took him on.

Quote:
Chicago gets: Hamhuis and Ellis

Nashville gets: Byfuglien, Hjalmarsson, Crawford
Intra-division trades are a no-no, especially that one.

I said this in another thread on the trade board, but we don't need to make a move. We need to get the players we have to get their heads out of their posteriors and play coordinated offensive hockey. I'm mainly referring to Erat, Sullivan, Legwand, and Ward, all of whom have struggled at the outset of the season.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 10-19-2009 at 12:50 AM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 04:43 AM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I said this in another thread on the trade board, but we don't need to make a move. We need to get the players we have to get their heads out of their posteriors and play coordinated offensive hockey. I'm mainly referring to Erat, Sullivan, Legwand, and Ward, all of whom have struggled at the outset of the season.
I agree with this in full with the exception of us making a move. I dont want to be unrealistic or come off whining like L_L, but we do need some change. Erat, Legs and Ward def. need to get it going, but at best they will only contribute around 20 or less goals and around 50-60 points total. Sully... ugh I dont know what to say. He has to start playing how he did post come back for us to progress. While I think Colin has been solid thus far and is someone we can build around in the future, I dont see him being a point per game player for us. At least no time soon.

Predators hockey has always been slow and uncreative IMO. Adding a player with some speed, hands, finesse and finishing capablities is a must for us to progress. Rads is one of those guys for me. Would like him and another of his style, ie Semin. Not that that will ever happen. I think Nash. needs to change its style of play and needs the player change to be able to do that. I have no problem with Trotz, but he may hold our offense back a bit too. Who knows? What could do with two "stars" or more in the line up? I hope we continue to steer the ship back on course, but we do need some change, along with our better players actually playing as you mentioned.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:21 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Interesting note:

For as much as we groan about how we should have kept Zanon, early reports from Minnesota fans are that they're quite disappointed. I think they expected some sort of defensive workhorse(like many Nashville fans erroneously believed him to be) and are coming to realize what some of us already knew: great shot blocker, but not very good positionally or "mentally."

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

What would Washington want for Fleischmann?

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:43 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
I agree with this in full with the exception of us making a move.
Then you don't agree with it, since that's the basis for the rest of my argument.

Quote:
Erat, Legs and Ward def. need to get it going, but at best they will only contribute around 20 or less goals and around 50-60 points total.

Um... you meant 20 goals and 50-60 points each, right? Because Erat has averaged 19 goals and 50 points BY HIMSELF for the last four seasons, two of which saw him notch 57 points, and one of which was cut short eleven games by injury. Legwand has averaged 20 goals on his own for the last three seasons. Ward, in his only NHL season to date, scored 17 goals. These guys have offensive skill, Ward to a lesser extent, but 20 points apiece would be an inexcusably bad season from any of them.

Quote:
Predators hockey has always been slow and uncreative IMO. Adding a player with some speed, hands, finesse and finishing capablities is a must for us to progress.
Have you completely blocked out the Paul Kariya days? The bolded portion was pretty much our calling card.

I do agree, however, that it's time for a collective shift in team culture and ideology to a more open style of play that's in line with the rest of the league, and particularly the rest of the division. That likely means the dismissal of Trotz as the coach. If this losing streak continues, Poile may get a little testy. He had deeply considered the move in late 2007 before we made a push for the playoffs, and I think he'll consider it again if this streak picks up another couple of games on this road trip.

But the question then is, who replaces him? No disrespect to Lane Lambert, but I don't think he's quite ready for that responsibility yet. Therrien is lousy. Laviolette would likely only last a few years, and Ted Nolan would probably have to be GM and head coach. I'm not even sure Ted wants to coach right now.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 10-19-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old
10-19-2009, 11:47 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Whiskey tango foxtrot, here's your deal right here.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

Is Ellis old enough to play in the AHL?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:49 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Whiskey tango foxtrot, here's your deal right here.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

Is Ellis old enough to play in the AHL?
No, and even if he was, he still hasn't exhausted his junior eligibility.

Old
10-19-2009, 11:53 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
No, and even if he was, he still hasn't exhausted his junior eligibility.
So does that mean he HAS to be on the roster? He has an entry level contract.

Old
10-19-2009, 12:07 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
I was wondering that. Can't he still play for his junior team? I thought Blum did the same but couldn't remember. I didn't think he was old enough to play in the AHL but didn't know if he HAD to play for the big club now.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:12 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
I was wondering that. Can't he still play for his junior team? I thought Blum did the same but couldn't remember. I didn't think he was old enough to play in the AHL but didn't know if he HAD to play for the big club now.
I looked it up. Check the Ellis signed thread. He's playing in JUniors this year. He could play in Nashville IF his season ends before the Preds season.

Old
10-19-2009, 01:29 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
If he plays professionally, it must be with the Predators until he a.) tuns 20, or b.) exhausts his four years of major junior eligibility. He doesn't turn 20 until January of 2011, and has one more year of junior eligibility after this one, so he won't be turning pro early unless he's good enough to make the Predators out of camp.

We CAN use him as an emergency recall, however, a la Steve Mason in spring 2008, but that's for very rare circumstances and will not be immediate because he's out with a broken wrist.

Old
10-19-2009, 03:40 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
We CAN use him as an emergency recall, however, a la Steve Mason in spring 2008, but that's for very rare circumstances and will not be immediate because he's out with a broken wrist.
And with Blum and Sulzer still in Milwaukee, I think we'd go with one of them before Ellis.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Frolov.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Frolov.
Agreed.

Jonesey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Personally, I'm not really interested in a one year rental player. We are not good enough to advance far enough to make it worth the prospects.

10-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Personally, I'm not really interested in a one year rental player. We are not good enough to advance far enough to make it worth the prospects.
It would have to involve at least one roster player at this point. Frolov has a $2.9 mil cap hit and a $4 mil salary this season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
goalscorer

Quote:
Then you don't agree with it, since that's the basis for the rest of my argument.

Um... you meant 20 goals and 50-60 points each, right?
I agree with your point that those players have to show up, but I believe we need to make a move. Two seperate points. Not trying to be disrespectful.

Yes, 20 a piece. They could combine for more than 20 even playing this badly.

Your right, the Kariya days were more exciting then our current play. It is hardly fair to say that that was Preds hockey though. Too short lived. And that almost makes my point in and of itself. Kariya was still just above average at the time, IMO and look at how different our style of play was. The way we set up on the powerplay and worked in the offensive zone was brillaint and we had what 11 straight wins to open the season? Cant remember the number. Even if we get back on course, we need some change in either our system, coaching or players or a combination of the three.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:13 PM
echlfreak

Frolov for Santorelli and rights to Radulov

Then sign him for similar what they would have offered Radulov. 5 years 4M. Our top two lines would be set for the future.

Sullivan-Arnott-Dumont
Erat-Legwand-Frolov

Hornqvist-Wilson-Ward would be a nice 3rd line

in this deal we don't lose much in Santorelli and Radulov, but we fill a major void in scoring power

Old
10-19-2009, 11:50 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
\
in this deal we don't lose much in Santorelli and Radulov, but we fill a major void in scoring power
Which is exactly why LA doesn't even consider this. Nor should they.

Salary would have to go back to LA. I like the possibility of Frolov. It would have to be a deal centered around Hamhuis.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote