HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Fire Sale: Minnesota Wild, pretty much anything and everything must go!

Old
10-19-2009, 04:38 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Fire Sale: Minnesota Wild, pretty much anything and everything must go!

Some Wild fans don't want to admit this but we've been putting off a rebuild for two years. It began when Risebrough decided to let Rolston and Demitra walk and only retaining a 4th rounder for their services. And then we let Gaborik walk -- for nothing. Not to mention Veilleux (who might have netted us at worst a 7th rounder or a middling prospect) and Skoula (see Veilleux).

Our team has no direction, no purpose. I don't know what the hell they are doing, if they are trying to rebuild or if they are trying to compete but just swapping out used tires to see which ones fit. But we need prospects and draft picks. As much as this regime is fighting it; the team needs a complete rebuild.

The only two pieces not being moved is Mikko Koivu and Cal Clutterbuck. They are the only players that I don't see Minnesota moving at this time.

So what does that leave us?

Aisle 1: Veterans
1) Andrew Brunette - An absolute work horse and the only bright spot on a struggling Minnesota team. Has a cap friendly hit of 2.33 million and is signed on till next year.

2) Owen Nolan - Has found a resurgence on the Wild. Played steady last year. Is only signed through this year but has a little higher cap hit than Brunette at 2.750 million. Could add 'weight' to a young team making the playoffs.

3) Eric Belanger - Early reports came out that this French-Canadian was not happy with the Wild and his place on the Wild. Only signed through this year at 1.750 million and could be used as a depth center. Has played steady for the Wild but is pretty much that one used car that doesn't look great, gets good mileage but is pretty plain looking.

4) Antti Miettinen - Hard cap hit for 2.33 million. Clicked with Koivu. Pretty much a dime a dozen winger. Going to be hard to unload this guy.

5) Kim Johnsson - Steady work horse of a defenseman. Great for teams in need of a veteran presence on defense for a playoff run. A little heavy cap hit at 4.850 million but only signed through one year. Probably will head back to Europe next year unless someone blows him away with a deal. But probably the second best veteran the Wild have to offer.

6) Marek Zidlicky - He's the zippy little car on the road. Looks fancy but man he struggles sometimes. If you need some offense on defense, and some veteran presence, you might want to kick the tires on this guy. His cap hit is a little tough at 3.350 million but that might not be bad.

7) Greg Zanon - Uh, have no idea about this guy. We brought him in for defense and well...he's been getting killed by 'Wheee' I like being a LW/Defense hybrid Burns. At 1.933 might not be that bad to bring him in but he's signed for two years.

8) Shane Hnidy - Another guy not really talked about. tiny cap hit and good defensive presence from what I understand. He's not going to do much offense but hell of a lot of defense.

Aisle 2 - The Young (and Under Achieving)

9) PM Bouchard - Hard cap hit at 4.080 for the next few years. Angel food cake is tougher than him. Might do better out East. 'Leech' that needs a good winger to help him put up points. (See: Rolston, Brian). He's not much more than what you see.

10) James Sheppard - Who knows about this kid? CHL agreement with the NHL kind of hindered his development. If you need a big, steady center, he's your guy. RFA next year. Could possibly break out in the right system.

11) Benoit Pouliot - This kid needs to go. He might be doing better but he's always been an underachiever and it's disheartening to see him play sometimes. Talent is there, toolbox is there, but no manual and he's out for a nap.

12) Nick Schultz - This guy is good. 3.5 million. Almost a veteran. Cap hit is a little big but he's steady and plays well. Could possibly net a good return.

13) Brent Burns - Great player. Just screwed around too much in our system. LW, defence...wait...LW...wait...oh screw it. We don't care. He needs a coach that will get him back to the basics in playing his game.

Aisle 3: Miscellaneous Crap

14) Kyle Brodziak - Who knows? He was brought in as a center. That's pretty much it.

15) Andy Hilbert - Is he even playing?

16/17) Jaime Sifers, John Scott - Who are these guys? I know one can punch you in the face until it hurts.

18) Nathan Smith - See Andy Hilbert

Aisle 4: Damaged Goods (Missing Labels on Can)

19) Martin Havlat - Seriously. We need better trainers. Havlat has a sore groin /face palm. He's 28 years old and has a cap friendly hit but yeah. We need a better face for our franchise than the other guy that can't keep his groin from being strained.

20) Petr Sykora - Hey! He lasted a few games. And then injured himself. At least he's signed for 1.6 million for a year. anyone want a soft, oft-injured winger?

21) Derek Boogaard- Back injuries. Who would've thunk that. UFA at the end of the year. Anyone want a guy that costs as many goals as many teeth he knocks out?

Aisle 5: Puck Stoppers

22) Niklas Backstrom - Has a No-trade agreement in the contract, signed for a heavy cap hit...but I would seriously ship him to siberia if they would take him and he agreed.

23) Josh Harding- Like him but he has value and well, if he can bring back something good, we need it. Has struggled greatly this year. Probably due to the defense being a sieve and well Burns not knowing what he is anymore.

So anyone want any of these used parts?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:12 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I read about Benoit Pouliot before the 2005 draft. He said he grew up a big Pens/Mario Lemieux fan and that he'd love to play for the Pens one day. It was refreshing to know that somebody out there actually wanted to play for Pittsburgh. Pens were really down back then and in a major rebuild. The team was just embarrassing. The Pens wound up with the #1 pick again in 2005 and obviously passed up Benoit Pouliot and others to draft Sid. I wondered what Pouliot would do with Malkin back then though and I still wonder some today. Pouliot's stock has fallen a lot since those days and he'd probably be a disappointment in Pittsburgh the same way he has been in Minny, but I'd take a flier on him still. I'd offer a decent prospect or a pick, not a 1st or a top prospect, but something a little less.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:16 AM
Xamboni
BoVat Horseman

Id love to see Schultz in a Canucks uni...

Xamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Michael Scofield

Can Sheppard play wing?

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:24 AM
The Angry Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I read about Benoit Pouliot before the 2005 draft. He said he grew up a big Pens/Mario Lemieux fan and that he'd love to play for the Pens one day. It was refreshing to know that somebody out there actually wanted to play for Pittsburgh. Pens were really down back then and in a major rebuild. The team was just embarrassing. The Pens wound up with the #1 pick again in 2005 and obviously passed up Benoit Pouliot and others to draft Sid. I wondered what Pouliot would do with Malkin back then though and I still wonder some today. Pouliot's stock has fallen a lot since those days and he'd probably be a disappointment in Pittsburgh the same way he has been in Minny, but I'd take a flier on him still. I'd offer a decent prospect or a pick, not a 1st or a top prospect, but something a little less.
I'd give up a 3rd for Pouliot, but then again I've never been a fan of his.

Brent Burns, I might consider giving up a first + any prospect not named Tangradi for. Sure it's a risk but it can pay off big time. Plus the pick should be in the 25-30 range.

However, I would love it if the Pens somehow got a hold of the guy drafted 2nd overall in 2005

Last edited by The Angry Pirate: 10-19-2009 at 07:31 AM.
The Angry Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:28 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Burns- 3.55
Brunette- 2.33

Gilbert- 4.0
Nilsson- 2.0
1st
3rd

Brunette-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Comrie
O'Sullivan-Brule-Stone
Jacques-Cogliano-Stortini

Visnovsky-Burns
Souray-Grebeshkov
Smid-Staios

Last edited by Mowzie: 10-19-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:30 AM
matt trick

San Jose:

Clowe, Murray, Couture, 1st, 3rd for Brent Burns, Owen Nolan. Add a mid range d prospect (Groulx, Braun, Julien Demers, or Moore) if you like. I would consider Doherty or even Wrenn, but would overpay if it meant holding onto Petrecki and Vlasic.

Sharks take on another 175k in cap space, add some balls and mobility, as well as a certain fan favorite. Burns gets a pair of top end d-man to play with in Blake and Boyle, while also having a long term first pairing partner in Vlasic.

Minnesota gets a top 6 forward and extremely slow/smart/physical defensive d-man in Murray (I wonder what would happen if he and Clutterbuck ran into each other?) along with Couture and a 1st to re-build around.

Last edited by matt trick: 10-19-2009 at 05:38 AM.
matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:00 AM
DenGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
San Jose:

Clowe, Murray, Couture, 1st, 3rd for Brent Burns, Owen Nolan. Add a mid range d prospect (Groulx, Braun, Julien Demers, or Moore) if you like. I would consider Doherty or even Wrenn, but would overpay if it meant holding onto Petrecki and Vlasic.

Sharks take on another 175k in cap space, add some balls and mobility, as well as a certain fan favorite. Burns gets a pair of top end d-man to play with in Blake and Boyle, while also having a long term first pairing partner in Vlasic.

Minnesota gets a top 6 forward and extremely slow/smart/physical defensive d-man in Murray (I wonder what would happen if he and Clutterbuck ran into each other?) along with Couture and a 1st to re-build around.
Very good proposal, in my opinion.

DenGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Some Wild fans don't want to admit this but we've been putting off a rebuild for two years. It began when Risebrough decided to let Rolston and Demitra walk and only retaining a 4th rounder for their services. And then we let Gaborik walk -- for nothing. Not to mention Veilleux (who might have netted us at worst a 7th rounder or a middling prospect) and Skoula (see Veilleux).

Our team has no direction, no purpose. I don't know what the hell they are doing, if they are trying to rebuild or if they are trying to compete but just swapping out used tires to see which ones fit. But we need prospects and draft picks. As much as this regime is fighting it; the team needs a complete rebuild.
You don't think it's a little early to yell for total rebuild seven games into the first season of a new management, a new coach and a new system and with the team momentarily wracked by injuries? What's the point? It's going to take half a season at least to get a good handle on where things stand, and if where they turn out to stand is "nowhere", then you have the trade deadline coming up with inflated return values, followed by a draft in which Minnesota will have a high pick and teams will have the opportunity to take on assets much more than they are right now. If everything is fundamentally wrong, it's not as if a couple of trades is going to fix the season anyway.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:04 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Trading a second round pick for a veteran forward doesn't seem to jibe with the original post.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:21 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenGC View Post
Very good proposal, in my opinion.
Thank you, but it still doesn't get him IMO. I'd throw in a goalie prospect as well. The wild are great at producing goalies, but I am not sure if they have one after Harding, so they could do well with any of the sharks Gs, Sateri, Stalock, and Greiss are the cream of the crop, with Sexsmith being the worst, and Karlsson being a wild card.

The Sharks prospect depth is ****, but honestly Couture isn't going to displace Thornton-Marleau/Pavelski-Mitchell any time soon, and Justin Daniels could very well become a top 6 guy, so he isn't a desperate need. For Minnesota however, he could make a very solid 1-2 with Koivu for a long time. Losing Clowe hurts, but Nolan fills the need for now, and I know Minnesota was looking at Clowe during the draft. Clowe would likely be replaced by McGinn, Ferrerio, or Zackirsson long term, which is a down grade, but with the other 5 in the top 6 Heatley, Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and Seto it shouldn't be a problem.

I also think Murray would be a great fit if they can keep Johnsson. I think the key would be getting a top 4 d-man instead of Murray, who is really great as a #5, but just not capable of handling the #4 role. I could see a deal involving Vlasic, but he is a #2. Maybe if Minnesota were confident they could grab Kubina or Gonchar, in addition to signing Johnsson they would do it, but I am not sure they want to go with Johnsson-Schultz-Murray-Cuma-Zanon.

The problem I see for Minnesota is that if they were to move Burns, is that they don't have a future #1 to replace him. And I think a team that has Leddy and Cuma on D, wants to worry about their forwards instead. If they grabbed one of the FAs noted above and added a Hall, Seguin, Kabanov or McFarland (in addition to Couture, Clowe, and SJ 1sts) they could very well be in business.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Kagee*

Tanner Glass for Andy Hilbert

Canucks need a boost for the 4th line.

and/or

Wellwood for Sheppard, both have no points but as the OP alluded to, maybe a change of scenery can help.
swap picks as necessary.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Macdonald

It would be awesome to see Owen Nolan on the Sharks again. I used to be a big fan of the Sharks until they traded Nolan to the Leafs. That is how I became a Leafs fan.

Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:10 AM
mnwildfan79

dear op-

burns stays.

mnwildfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Fire Julien

Boogard, Scott, Kassian to Boston

Mikko Lehtonen, Jordan Caron, Boston 2nd in 2010 to Minnesota

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:16 AM
DenGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Thank you, but it still doesn't get him IMO. I'd throw in a goalie prospect as well. The wild are great at producing goalies, but I am not sure if they have one after Harding, so they could do well with any of the sharks Gs, Sateri, Stalock, and Greiss are the cream of the crop, with Sexsmith being the worst, and Karlsson being a wild card.

The Sharks prospect depth is ****, but honestly Couture isn't going to displace Thornton-Marleau/Pavelski-Mitchell any time soon, and Justin Daniels could very well become a top 6 guy, so he isn't a desperate need. For Minnesota however, he could make a very solid 1-2 with Koivu for a long time. Losing Clowe hurts, but Nolan fills the need for now, and I know Minnesota was looking at Clowe during the draft. Clowe would likely be replaced by McGinn, Ferrerio, or Zackirsson long term, which is a down grade, but with the other 5 in the top 6 Heatley, Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and Seto it shouldn't be a problem.

I also think Murray would be a great fit if they can keep Johnsson. I think the key would be getting a top 4 d-man instead of Murray, who is really great as a #5, but just not capable of handling the #4 role. I could see a deal involving Vlasic, but he is a #2. Maybe if Minnesota were confident they could grab Kubina or Gonchar, in addition to signing Johnsson they would do it, but I am not sure they want to go with Johnsson-Schultz-Murray-Cuma-Zanon.

The problem I see for Minnesota is that if they were to move Burns, is that they don't have a future #1 to replace him. And I think a team that has Leddy and Cuma on D, wants to worry about their forwards instead. If they grabbed one of the FAs noted above and added a Hall, Seguin, Kabanov or McFarland (in addition to Couture, Clowe, and SJ 1sts) they could very well be in business.
Well they could go after a guy like Cam Barker. I think he has the potential.
Wild probably would have to give up Harding.
Although I think all these trades would put them a bit over the cap. Maybe then try and move Zidlicky.

Lineup would then be something like:

Brunette-Koivu-Havlat
Clowe-Bouchard-Kobasew
Pouliot-Sheppard-Sykora
Boogard-Belanger-Miettinen
Hilbert-Broziak-Clutterbuck (added a 5th line due to the constant injury-woes)

Johnsson-Schultz
Barker-Murray
Zanon-Hnidy
(Sifers-Scott)

Backstrom
(Dubielewicz)

Overall it looks as a solid team. Not to much worse of and managed to add a good prospect in Couture, as well as a couple of additional pics (which they need).

DenGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:20 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
You don't think it's a little early to yell for total rebuild seven games into the first season of a new management, a new coach and a new system and with the team momentarily wracked by injuries? What's the point? It's going to take half a season at least to get a good handle on where things stand, and if where they turn out to stand is "nowhere", then you have the trade deadline coming up with inflated return values, followed by a draft in which Minnesota will have a high pick and teams will have the opportunity to take on assets much more than they are right now. If everything is fundamentally wrong, it's not as if a couple of trades is going to fix the season anyway.
I think so. If moves like the OP suggests are made (and too many guys are dangled there, IMO), the time to do it is not right now.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

Dal: Brunnstrom (LW and a 25+ goal scorer with loads of untapped offesive potential) (24 yrs old.)
Niskanen (RH shot D-Man that can rack up 40+ pts a season. At 22 yrs old he has plenty of time to become a more complete player. He's also a Minnesota native.)
1st rd pick in either 2010 or 2011

for

Min: Brent Burns

OR

Brunnstrom
Daley
1st rd pick in 2010 or 2011

for

Havlat

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:14 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Aces View Post
OR

Brunnstrom
Daley

for

Havlat
What? No thank you.The risk is not worth the reward at all.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:19 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Cal O'Reilly and a third for Brunette.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Scrambllllle

Ott: Burns

Min: Lee, 1st, Foligno

?

Scrambllllle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:40 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Pouliot and Hnidy are guys I'd like to see play for the Oilers.

After seeing the way Pat Quinn has been able to turn Gilbert Brule's career around (I know it's only 7 games in), he might be able to do the same with Pouliot. Quinn has a reputation of being able to motivate and get the most out of his players.

Hnidy would be a good veteran defensive defenseman on the blueline.

Guys like Sheppard and Bouchard are interesting, but I doubt they're going anywhere.

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:41 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Burns- 3.55
Brunette- 2.33

Gilbert- 4.0
Nilsson- 2.0
1st
3rd

Brunette-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Comrie
O'Sullivan-Brule-Stone
Jacques-Cogliano-Stortini

Visnovsky-Burns
Souray-Grebeshkov
Smid-Staios
Why does EVERY proposal from Edmonton have those two in it? Are they hated there or something?

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Aces View Post
Dal: Brunnstrom (LW and a 25+ goal scorer with loads of untapped offesive potential) (24 yrs old.)
Niskanen (RH shot D-Man that can rack up 40+ pts a season. At 22 yrs old he has plenty of time to become a more complete player. He's also a Minnesota native.)
1st rd pick in either 2010 or 2011

for

Min: Brent Burns

OR

Brunnstrom
Daley

for

Havlat
Wild wouldn't touch the first one, and I'm hoping Joe never even thinks of offering the second. We don't need Havlat, at ALL.

10-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Why does EVERY proposal from Edmonton have those two in it? Are they hated there or something?
They are expendable. Gilbert is a good puckmover, but Edmonton has a boatload of them.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote