HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

trade deadline

Old
10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

vCash: 500
I know Carolina fans tend overrate their players and prospects, but I'm not even a huge Larose fan and I wouldn't do that deal. That's too much for an impending UFA. Maybe I'm just not that high on Frolov.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:21 PM
UnPLEASED Anton

I agree. Salary is too different, I dont know if that would put us over the cap or not.

Last edited by UnPLEASED Anton: 10-19-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: kj
UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:26 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

We would only add 1.2 million in salary if that were the deal but we still can't trade Larose. He's worth more than what he puts up in the points column. We would have to rely on Kostopoulos or Walker to take his place. They could for a few games but not permanently.

It would be interesting to see him on Staal's wing, but at what price?

Old
10-19-2009, 05:44 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

To gives Larose is too much. He's not top player but he's really important player to this team. He becomes good player, he loves Carolina, Raleigh and fans, wants to play only for this team... i don't know... i don't want to see Chad in other team. I know we have similar to Chad players in AHL (Terry and Dodge) but they're not ready.

I'm not too high on this Bowman kid and i don't have problem to trade him even with pick but just no for Larose.

edit: I think Seguin kid is overrated. I prefer MacFarland, Hall or Fowler.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:06 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I don't think LaRose is an irreplaceable asset, but I wouldn't deal Bowman. I want to see Frolov in Carolina, but I think it happens in the offseason as a free agent signing if it happens at all.

As for what to do to shake up the roster this season, give some of our prospects an opportunity. Sit Samsonov and let's see what Boychuk can do. If the team wants to continue to under-perform, the least we can do is get some of our future a taste of the NHL.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
To gives Larose is too much. He's not top player but he's really important player to this team. He becomes good player, he loves Carolina, Raleigh and fans, wants to play only for this team... i don't know... i don't want to see Chad in other team. I know we have similar to Chad players in AHL (Terry and Dodge) but they're not ready.

I'm not too high on this Bowman kid and i don't have problem to trade him even with pick but just no for Larose.

edit: I think Seguin kid is overrated. I prefer MacFarland, Hall or Fowler.
So much of this just blew my mind, but since your comment on Seguin was at the end and is therefore freshest in my mind I'll address that. Fowler, I can understand. Maybe you'd like a future franchise defenseman. Fair enough. Hall, I can understand that, too. He's a great talent. MacFarland, not following that one at all. Seguin overrated? Please. Go watch this kid play and see just how wrong you are. Last year people claimed he was carried by Terry and Caria and this year he's got **** all to work with and he's putting up even more points. He's scoring at over a 2ppg clip. Seriously, his linemates are frickin' Myles McCauley and Tyler Brown. He literally has nothing to work with and he's outsoring Taylor Hall. Look at all the talent he has surrounding him in Windsor. Out of the top 10 scorers in the ohl right now, 5 of them are spitfires including Hall. The next highest scorer on Plymouth after Seguin's 26 points? AJ Jenks way down in 37th place with 13 points in 11 games. If Tomas Tatar ends up in Plymouth this year, which is still a possibility, you'll be hearing more and more about Tyler Seguin. Just imagine what he can do with a legit finisher on his line.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:09 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

How about we give our prospects time to get acclimated to the pro game and our vets on the big squad more of a chance than just a few games before all the trade/call up talk.

Old
10-19-2009, 06:15 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Yeah, Seguin is in no way overrated. He has TWICE as many points as the 2nd leading scorer on his team and is THE leading scorer in the OHL as a 17 year old. Granted I haven't got to see him play live either, but just look at the highlights of him so far this season. He's gonna be a special player and a top 3 draft pick, if not the #1 overall.

Old
10-19-2009, 06:40 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
How about we give our prospects time to get acclimated to the pro game and our vets on the big squad more of a chance than just a few games before all the trade/call up talk.
The key is that we have a couple of prospects that have either had time to season in the AHL or have already shown in the past that they can play at the NHL level. Namely Samson is someone that may be ready to take that step to the NHL, he could fit in nicely in Samsonov's spot on the third-line. Boychuk nearly made the roster last year with an injured wrist. Another dominant year in the WHL and a solid start to his AHL career shows that he may be prepared to make the jump to the NHL. Then there is Sutter who, while it didn't shine last season, held his own and showed flashes of play-making ability until his concussion. Those three would be the first three I would look to if it ever came to that.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post

100% agree.

I'm sticking to the 25-30 game mark before I truly form an opinion on where I think we're headed/what route i'd like to see us go. With that said, 25-30 games didn't show us anything of what was to come last season, so we'll see.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

The plan probably was/is to let Boychuk, Bowman, Sutter, etc get a year in the AHL playing top minutes, then to let them take over once guys like Whitney, Cullen, or whoever are gone next year. I highly doubt Sammy sits.. if anything we'll waive him. If we're going to suck we might as well do it with the players we have now, then sell as much as possible at the deadline. Boychuk or any rookie won't be any answer. We don't want to start our prospects NHL contracts any earlier than we have to anyway.

Old
10-19-2009, 07:08 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Points is not everything (Larose puts more points than Staal in OHL). I don't think Seguin will be better player than Hall in NHL. I don't think he will be good as Hall.

The kid is dominand these day in OHL but Hall is more safe pick.

I'll be happy to see Seguin in Carolina, we needs some fresh young power but i prefer Hall.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Points is not everything (Larose puts more points than Staal in OHL).
Hardly a comparable situation. Larose was in his overage year and Staal was in his draft year. Big, big difference.

Old
10-19-2009, 08:50 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
100% agree.

I'm sticking to the 25-30 game mark before I truly form an opinion on where I think we're headed/what route i'd like to see us go.
Finally, someone with common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
With that said, 25-30 games didn't show us anything of what was to come last season, so we'll see.
Lavi was fired after game #25 last season if i recall correctly. That stands for something.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Finally, someone with common sense.

Lavi was fired after game #25 last season if i recall correctly. That stands for something.
That's right to dmonk. I should have known for all the posts I made in terms of players statistics under 'Lavi's 25 games' in comparison to Mo's. . Good recollection.

This year I am taking a page out of your book (I believe it was you) who kept saying last season to give them 25-30 games. I let the frustration get to me last year in a big way. After what transpired going all the way to the Conference Finals and seeing us turn things around, I have taken a different approach this go around. It is a long, long season where there is going to be ups and downs, highs and lows, etc.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 11:45 AM
caniac247

I'm going with the 25-30 game approach. You can't really determine a team as suckage after 7 games, especially after 3 of those (Philly, Boston, NJ) were up against top teams in the conference.

Not to mention the early injuries aren't helping. Not an excuse, but having our #1 defenseman only play 2.5 games isn't helping. Having Staal not 100% isn't helping. Guys like Brind'Amour, Samsonov, Cullen, and Whitney all missng practice due to maintenance will have somewhat of an effect. Let's give these guys a few more games to get back to 100% or close to it. Not to mention being without Cole since game 2.

The good news is that Cam is on his game. And the defense is actually doing pretty well. Let's hope that when the offense finally finds it, Cam and the defense don't lose it.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:08 PM
dmonk
doughberle

If i know anything about Murphy laws, things usually happen in reverse.... When all those above mentioned guys are back at 100%, Cam will start sucking or get injured.

Old
10-20-2009, 02:14 PM
caniac247

And to add, the schedule so far sucks. You can't get out of a funk or gell playing 2 games in 10 days. We know this team thrives the more games they play. Bring on this trip.

Old
10-20-2009, 02:59 PM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Let us not forget that we have played perhaps 4 of the best teams in the East out of our 7 games. The only "ugly loss" was to the Lightning. Yes, it would have been nice to get some more wins but the schedule is about to lighten up in a big way. Our next 4 games are incredibly winnable.

I can deal with losses to the Flyers, Penguins, and Devils. What I will be unable to understand will be losses to the Islanders, Wild, and Avalanche.
The Avalanche have been really good though. And I seem to recall us doing pretty bad against them, most of the time.

Either way, I agree, way too early for this type of talk. I mean, I'm not thrilled with the current level of play either, but it's only been 7 games! Detroit is 11th in the West! Colorado is 3rd in the league! Edmonton is 6th in the league! Michael Del Zotto leads defensemen in points! Radim Vrbata is 1st in goals scored for Czech right wingers IN THE LEAGUE!!

Though tanking for Seguin seems pretty cool.. but only if we tank next year, too, for Adam Larsson.

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:24 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Nah, we'll go with Gabriel Landeskog in 2011. That guy has all the makings of a star and he's already playing in North America which means our scouts will actually give him a significant look.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

If we lose Wednesday, I will officially be a tiny bit worried

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 06:36 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Reading your previous posts alone, one would get an impression you were in a full blown panic mode for at least a week...

Thank you for letting us know your real state of mind.

Old
10-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Nah, we'll go with Gabriel Landeskog in 2011. That guy has all the makings of a star and he's already playing in North America which means our scouts will actually give him a significant look.
Gotta wonder how they feel about him, though. Can't believe Plymouth traded him. I'm sure there's more to the story than we're aware of but it's still weird. I can't accept they moved him because of a lack of a roster spot for another foreign player. If Seguin had Landeskog to play with, they'd be deadly.

Old
10-20-2009, 07:20 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Aaron Ward and Rod Brind'amour to Avangard Omsk for Jaromir Jagr and Anton Babchuk.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 07:39 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I wouldn't. The Canes tend to help teams/players get out of their slumps. Since Islanders are still looking for their 1st win, expect us to help them out