HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Trick Shots

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2009, 10:22 AM
  #1
SJGoalie32
Registered User
 
SJGoalie32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TealTown, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,598
vCash: 500
Trick Shots

Okay, so now that it's all over the web, most of you have probably seen that clip of the spin-o-rama goal by that nine-year-old kid during a shootout challenge in Boston. If not, most of you have probably seen some similar types of trick goals on YouTube by kids (picking the puck up on his stick, whilring it around his body, etc.)

One of the comments below the video clip said, "Let the poor kid have his glory, he's not hurting anybody." To which my first thought was ".....except for the young goaltender who I'm sure didn't want to be on the business end of a viral YouTube video."

I know kids will be kids and we all try the trick shots to a certain extent at some point. It's fun, it's challenging, blah blah blah. But most of us only do it on an empty net, or in a back yard, or a pick up game with friends.

The kid remarked that he only hits that shot maybe 1 out of 20 attempts. Remarkable that he did it while on the ice at the TD Banknorth Garden, but if this were a real game, you'd never want your player to make a move on a penalty shot which only has a 5% success rate. The fact that it's not a real game means there's nothing to lose for his team, so he has carte blanche to try to pull out a move that can only disrespect the opposing goaltender.

I guess my question is, as a hockey coach or a parent, do you attempt to discourage this kind of behavior in games and practices, or do you just let it slide and let the kids have their fun? Personally, I would have sat that kid down and made him skate laps afterward for pulling a stunt like that, but maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon and letting my goaltending sensitivities get the better of me.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:08 AM
  #2
K-PAX*
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
Personally, I would have sat that kid down and made him skate laps afterward for pulling a stunt like that, but maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon and letting my goaltending sensitivities get the better of me.
Yeah, you're being too oversensitive. If the kid can hit the move, have at it. It's called having fun.

As for the goalie, uh, pretty sure he's going to be just fine.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:30 AM
  #3
wearethegreek
Registered User
 
wearethegreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
Okay, so now that it's all over the web, most of you have probably seen that clip of the spin-o-rama goal by that nine-year-old kid during a shootout challenge in Boston. If not, most of you have probably seen some similar types of trick goals on YouTube by kids (picking the puck up on his stick, whilring it around his body, etc.)

One of the comments below the video clip said, "Let the poor kid have his glory, he's not hurting anybody." To which my first thought was ".....except for the young goaltender who I'm sure didn't want to be on the business end of a viral YouTube video."

I know kids will be kids and we all try the trick shots to a certain extent at some point. It's fun, it's challenging, blah blah blah. But most of us only do it on an empty net, or in a back yard, or a pick up game with friends.

The kid remarked that he only hits that shot maybe 1 out of 20 attempts. Remarkable that he did it while on the ice at the TD Banknorth Garden, but if this were a real game, you'd never want your player to make a move on a penalty shot which only has a 5% success rate. The fact that it's not a real game means there's nothing to lose for his team, so he has carte blanche to try to pull out a move that can only disrespect the opposing goaltender.

I guess my question is, as a hockey coach or a parent, do you attempt to discourage this kind of behavior in games and practices, or do you just let it slide and let the kids have their fun? Personally, I would have sat that kid down and made him skate laps afterward for pulling a stunt like that, but maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon and letting my goaltending sensitivities get the better of me.
I really don't want to be a jerk, but don't try to stifle young talent like that. Remember, we need to support the game...that's a part of it...it's entertaining and the goalie will live to play another day. Plus letting the kids mess around a little in practice not only keeps things loose but can also be inspiring to that player or other players around him. You never know what might come of just messing around...Think about Pavel Datsyuk's signature move...definitely looks like something he came up with and perfected in practice, perfect for one on ones with all the time in the world but because he mastered a new skill he was able to do it in a game on a breakaway against Turco. That takes a little bit of audacity, cohones and the type of skill you can only acquire by fully embracing the creative element of the game.

Mike Ribiero tries stuff like that the NHL level, I've seen Marek Malik win a shootout between his legs...the whole element with shots like that is surprise...take a chance and since it was a relaxed environment let them have their fun. Think about it: the trick shot has become recognized as part of the game so much so that they made it a skill at the all star break.

If it's a game, and he's a kid and you tell him no fancy stuff during the real deal and he does it anyway, then he should hit the laps but I think in this situation you gotta let boys be boys.

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:03 PM
  #4
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
If it's the kids own time or a one-on-one like this, it's a show and I see no problem with it. If it's during practice or a game then there's really no place for it. During a game we're supposed to be teaching sportsmanship and team concepts, neither of which is in a shot like that. It's a selfish, low percentage shot that could cost a game.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:13 PM
  #5
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
I go with these two. let the kid have his fun. After all, the main reason kids play the game is to have fun. If we as adults take the fun out of it they won't be playing when their our age.

And even though it's unlikely to use that move in a game it's not a definite no-no. Rick Nash scored a goal from between his legs a season or two ago. His comment was something to the effect of "I play around with stuff like that after practice never thinking I'd really use it in gaime, but I guess I was wrong. I did use it in a game and it worked."



And you never go, it could actually lead to a goal such as this Michigan State goal:



Last edited by frito: 10-19-2009 at 12:22 PM.
frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
  #6
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
If they can do it, and the time is right then let them.

If they're doing it when the play/drill doesn't call for it then don't let them

If they're screwing around and having fun then I'm fine with it. They're kids. That's what kids should do. Have fun. It's a game.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:36 PM
  #7
SJGoalie32
Registered User
 
SJGoalie32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TealTown, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,598
vCash: 500
Yeah, I guess you guys are right. If it's either in a light-hearted screw around session or in the moments after a practice but before the zamboni comes out, it's okay.

I mean, now that I think back on it, I do remember grabbing a forward stick and taking a penalty shot on the backup goalkeeper at the end of a few practices.....even though I obviously would never be skating out in a real game. It was just for fun.

However, I also remember many practice sessions that would end with a shootout tournament, and there was usually a hotdog or two out there who would try one of those kinds of moves while I was trying to work on my technique for stopping actual breakaways. After the 20th consecutive penalty shot, I was not thrilled about playing the foil for some guy's attempt to win a bet over his linemates. Especially when they wouldn't even give me enough time to stand up after the previous shot.

Strangely enough, those same guys never seemed quite as amused when they'd start in on their breakaway, and I would just lay down prone on the ice in a two-pad stack attempting to kick my leg up and make a "miraculous" save.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:18 PM
  #8
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
My trick shot would be hitting the net haha. I missed the net a personal record 6 times tonight.

Some of those are pretty awesome trick shots.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:37 PM
  #9
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light
 
Hobgoblin Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Ridge
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
My trick shot would be hitting the net haha. I missed the net a personal record 6 times tonight.

Some of those are pretty awesome trick shots.
I do that on a game by game basis. dont feel bad

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 08:54 PM
  #10
GuitarAwesome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Kids will be kids. I remember learning how do to the lacrosse move was "all the rage". Did it in a game, once, got a faceful of huge defenseman/goalie stick for my troubles. Won't be doing that again anytime soon (except shinny of course ).
Hockey is supposed to be fun, if it makes the kids laugh, and joke around, I'm all for it. If they are learning it to show off, and be jerks, perhaps not.
Gotta let the goalies have fun too! We usually let the goalies take part in the breakaway comps as well, just for kicks. Ever see the video of Mike Smith pulling the lacrosse move in practice? It's awesome!

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.