HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

21/10/09 Avalanche Vs Wild

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Avalanche 38 88.37%
Wild 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
*Sigh* Even Minnesota has a higher shots per game than us. Sad day. New goal: get more shots than Minnesota. PLEASE
Bah...shots mean nothing if you have no finishers to put it in. I'm willing to bet (not much mind you) that the Avs have had more actual scoring chances than the Wylde. Minnesota without Bouchard is pretty much Mikko Koivu and a bunch of grinders. I would be concerned about Koivu since the dude has been an Avs-killer in the last couple years but I'm not concerned if they're just going to keep throwing the puck at the net every chance they get.

Too bad that horse's ass Veilleux isn't on this team any longer. I would've loved to see McLeod mash that ugly face of his into the glass tonight.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

The SOG is alarming. Anderson needs to keep playing like this because the Avalanche defense won't be winning them games. It's sad to say but the best shutdown defender the Avs have is... Clark... Eek.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:51 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
The SOG is alarming. Anderson needs to keep playing like this because the Avalanche defense won't be winning them games. It's sad to say but the best shutdown defender the Avs have is... Clark... Eek.
Quincey and Hannan are light years ahead of Clark. Hannan has been GREAT this season. He is finally the defenseman we thought we were getting when we signed him. **** you Cloutier.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Quincey and Hannan are light years ahead of Clark. Hannan has been GREAT this season. He is finally the defenseman we thought we were getting when we signed him. **** you Cloutier.
Totally forgot about Hannan.

Which Cloutier are you refering to and what..?

Old
10-20-2009, 12:53 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 125
Quote:
Hi my name is Kyle Quincey. I hit, score, QB the PP and I will kick the **** out of you if you go near my goalie.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:54 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Totally forgot about Hannan.

Which Cloutier are you refering to and what..?

The worst defensive coach that has ever coached in the league, Cloutier.

Old
10-20-2009, 12:56 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
The "mastermind" behind our defensive system of the last however many years. What a joke.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I'm starting to feel like an Alzheimers patient.

Old
10-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I agree, those guys are by far the best d-men on this team. They're both playing great.

As for Hannan, he was very good in his first year as well. Even last year, he wasn't great but he wasn't bad either. The whole team was just bad which made his play look worse than it actually was.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:29 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I agree, those guys are by far the best d-men on this team. They're both playing great.

As for Hannan, he was very good in his first year as well. Even last year, he wasn't great but he wasn't bad either. The whole team was just bad which made his play look worse than it actually was.
Hannan needs a d partner that can play d. Hannan is good at covering his own man, and playing his own position. The past few years he has had to worry what his partner was doing most the time.

Old
10-20-2009, 01:42 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Oh man I didn't even realize the game is tomorrow and not today. I'm gonna have to miss like half of it

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:57 PM
shadow1

Backstrom a high end middle of the line goalie who found himself in a good defensive system.

Sure, he's better than at least half of the starters in the league, but he's not better than goalies like Lundqvist, Ward, or hell even Hiller. He's never done anything in the playoffs (his horrid play contributed to Colorado beating the Wild in '08), and he seems to be struggling now that Jacques Lemaire's defensive system is no longer there.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Avalanche France

Hello Avs fan!!! I'm a long time Avs fan and I read everything you say on this forum for a year now.
I hope that you'll learn me more about the avs and the game.

GO AVS GO!!!

PS: I'm French so please don't be too hard with my spelling... Thanks

Avalanche France is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:24 PM
54toscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
they actually fill out the 2-3 now that I think about it. So I'd put it as something like

1) Brodeur
2) Fleury (over Ward because more playoff wins, plus head to head)
3) Ward
4) Backstrom

Luongo, Nabokov, Lundqvist. I'd put Giguere over other HM's but his wheels have really fallen off since the Ducks' Cup, I hope he can come back into form because he's one of my favorites
No love for Osgood?

Ask almost any Sharks fan, Nabokov doesn't deserve to be on list, he has a huge tendency to fold during crunch time.

I happen to think Lundqvist is amazing: without him, the Rangers don't sniff the playoffs the past couple seasons. When he's on, he intimidates shooters like no other goaltender in the league.

But, back to the thread topic: I propose holding off judgment of Backstrom until we see him on a team not coached by Lemaire. Again, here's the thing with shots and save percentage, the type of defensive system a team plays greatly influences both the quantity and type of shots a goaltender faces.

54toscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Bah...shots mean nothing if you have no finishers to put it in. I'm willing to bet (not much mind you) that the Avs have had more actual scoring chances than the Wylde. Minnesota without Bouchard is pretty much Mikko Koivu and a bunch of grinders. I would be concerned about Koivu since the dude has been an Avs-killer in the last couple years but I'm not concerned if they're just going to keep throwing the puck at the net every chance they get.

Too bad that horse's ass Veilleux isn't on this team any longer. I would've loved to see McLeod mash that ugly face of his into the glass tonight.
I wish Brunette was still here....

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:54 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
I wish Brunette was still here....
why? you like one-dimensional, slow-as-molasses, ancient players? I'll grant you he's still putting up points, but I don't think he was a good fit here at all after Joey left.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
why? you like one-dimensional, slow-as-molasses, ancient players? I'll grant you he's still putting up points, but I don't think he was a good fit here at all after Joey left.
Slow, yes. Ancient? Meh...not really. One dimensional? Well, I don't know about that. The guy could contribute in a number of fashions, not just one. Svatos is the definition of a one-dimensional player. Nonetheless, he was a good player to have for relatively cheap while the team underwent a transition period, but it was time for both parties to move on. I for one am not exactly pining for him, though I wish he had gotten a better offer from a team that might actually give him a shot at a Stanley Cup ring.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 05:17 PM
PeterTheGreat

I still think Bruno would look good with Stastny and Hejduk and that would allow Wolski to play on Duchene's line.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 05:52 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 125
Quote:
Bruno's tenure here was better the Smyths and cost us a fraction of wat it cost us to sign Smyth. I loved Bruno on this team..one of the best PL signings.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 06:05 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Bruno might be slow but... one dimensional. He was good at most of the things that involved the boards and being close to the net. both scoring there and setting guys up from there.

What kind of contract is he on anyway?

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Maldini3

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
Bruno might be slow but... one dimensional. He was good at most of the things that involved the boards and being close to the net. both scoring there and setting guys up from there.

What kind of contract is he on anyway?
He's in the second year of a 3-year, 7 million contract.

Maldini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 06:22 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Slow, yes. Ancient? Meh...not really. One dimensional? Well, I don't know about that. The guy could contribute in a number of fashions, not just one. Svatos is the definition of a one-dimensional player. Nonetheless, he was a good player to have for relatively cheap while the team underwent a transition period, but it was time for both parties to move on. I for one am not exactly pining for him, though I wish he had gotten a better offer from a team that might actually give him a shot at a Stanley Cup ring.
I consider Bruno to be pretty similar to Svatos as far as one-dimensionality goes. Bruno could pass, and play on the boards. He was a real liability to establishing offensive possession, a defensive problem, had no speed, and lacked true scoring touch. Svatos can't play on the boards or pass that well, but has the scoring touch and speed. Both are limited offense only players.

He was a nice fit on this team when playing with Joey, especially at a bargain price, but this team is clearly going away from the "3 players behind the net" offensive approach from years past (and where Bruno excelled). At least Svatos is young enough to play more than a year or 2 and can kinda play a speed game. Dare I say it, I prefer Svatos here over Bruno (which was kind of the choice they made that year).

I liked Bruno, he was a great bargain while here, and we inexplicably treated him like crap on his way out. But letting him go was the right move, and I do NOT want him back taking needed development time from Jones/Stewart/Stoa. Nor do I want to see the Avs play the sort of offensive game it takes to make him effective, it's simply not as fun to watch.

Old
10-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Haha man, did you get hit over the head with something hard or something? Wow....

Hell, I'd say even Foote and Cumiskey are better than Clark. At least they make a passable third pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy2007 View Post
No love for Osgood?

Ask almost any Sharks fan, Nabokov doesn't deserve to be on list, he has a huge tendency to fold during crunch time.

I happen to think Lundqvist is amazing: without him, the Rangers don't sniff the playoffs the past couple seasons. When he's on, he intimidates shooters like no other goaltender in the league.

But, back to the thread topic: I propose holding off judgment of Backstrom until we see him on a team not coached by Lemaire. Again, here's the thing with shots and save percentage, the type of defensive system a team plays greatly influences both the quantity and type of shots a goaltender faces.
I agree about Lundqvist. I didn't really realize how good he is until just recently when I started really thinking about it. I guess he was just clouded by the fact that I don't pay attention to the Rangers AT ALL and they weren't that good.

Quote:
Let's just say I miss Joey and Bruno on that top line together. It was magic, he was one of the best LW's Joe ever had, and a big part of why he made the hundred point mark in 06-07.

Old
10-20-2009, 06:25 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I still think Bruno would look good with Stastny and Hejduk and that would allow Wolski to play on Duchene's line.
I seem to recall them trying this in 2007 during Joey's injuries and it was absolutely terrible.

Old
10-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
I consider Bruno to be pretty similar to Svatos as far as one-dimensionality goes. Bruno could pass, and play on the boards. He was a real liability to establishing offensive possession, a defensive problem, had no speed, and lacked true scoring touch. Svatos can't play on the boards or pass that well, but has the scoring touch and speed. Both are limited offense only players.

He was a nice fit on this team when playing with Joey, especially at a bargain price, but this team is clearly going away from the "3 players behind the net" offensive approach from years past (and where Bruno excelled). At least Svatos is young enough to play more than a year or 2 and can kinda play a speed game. Dare I say it, I prefer Svatos here over Bruno (which was kind of the choice they made that year).

I liked Bruno, he was a great bargain while here, and we inexplicably treated him like crap on his way out. But letting him go was the right move, and I do NOT want him back taking needed development time from Jones/Stewart/Stoa. Nor do I want to see the Avs play the sort of offensive game it takes to make him effective, it's simply not as fun to watch.
Bruno was a good guy, he treated us well. And he had this inexplicable chemistry with Joe Sakic. Were his point totals inflated by Joey? Definitely. But was it great while it lasted? Definitely.

I was very sad when we treated him the way we did. Although I would not want him back, especially since, well, we don't have Joe anymore and I don't think he could put up those points without Joey. Just saying he was a great fit here.