HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Backup goalie situation

Old
10-20-2009, 09:11 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

vCash: 500
Backup goalie situation

After the effort ( or lack thereof ) shown by Valli last night, should the team be looking at it's options in order to give Hank a more consistent backup?

I'm not saying this as a kneejerk reaction to one loss, this goes back even to last season with the Toronto meltdown among other things. Valli is solid when he's on, but you never know if he's going to show up or just fail. Last night's loss to SJ was part Valli, part Brash, part everyone.

Those of you who watch Hartford..would Zaba or Wiikman be able to do any better or would they simply get torched at the NHL level? I don't think trading for a backup right now makes any sense at all, since no one would really want Valli, and we really don't need to be giving anyone up. Add this to the fact he's probably gone next year anyway... Then what?

The bad part is, I really want Valli to do well because he seems like a down to earth, genuinely nice guy.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Rangers4Life74

hes fine.hes one of the better backups in the lg.its one game,he had a bad one,happens to everyone.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 09:24 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

yes he was terrible last night but all things considered Lundy didnt fare much better due to the horrific defensive display put forth last night. I dont think pele lindburghs ghost couldve kept that game close. I pin last night on all 6 defenseman moreso than i do the goaltender.That being said, if vally continues to play like that i would think ocho cinco gets the nod before either wiikman or Zaba.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 09:26 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

He simply can't be played against top teams if we want to win the game. He's an average at-best backup.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
BrandNewDream

Wow. Really?

He had one bad game.

You know, after his shutout of the Ducks, I was thinking that maybe Vally should be named #1 and Hank #2.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post
After the effort ( or lack thereof ) shown by Valli last night, should the team be looking at it's options in order to give Hank a more consistent backup?

I'm not saying this as a kneejerk reaction to one loss, this goes back even to last season with the Toronto meltdown among other things. Valli is solid when he's on, but you never know if he's going to show up or just fail. Last night's loss to SJ was part Valli, part Brash, part everyone.

Those of you who watch Hartford..would Zaba or Wiikman be able to do any better or would they simply get torched at the NHL level? I don't think trading for a backup right now makes any sense at all, since no one would really want Valli, and we really don't need to be giving anyone up. Add this to the fact he's probably gone next year anyway... Then what?

The bad part is, I really want Valli to do well because he seems like a down to earth, genuinely nice guy.
Yes it is. Im sorry.

A lot of people are flipping out over this. It wasn't a bad call putting him in #1. Henrik is going to need rest. Hes going to put Vally in more than what weve seen in the past, it was noted before the season started. You live with the decisions you make, the second guessing is ridiculous. The Rangers have to play better as a team, they know that. It was a bad night for Vally, nothing went right. It happens. MOVE ON.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Yeah, I had forgotten all about Chad.

Anyway, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, the loss last night was a team effort. The D was fairly porous, and some of the "backchecking" displayed by Brashear was a joke.

Old
10-20-2009, 09:28 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

OMFG!!! What situation? There's none situation! The whole team yesterday looked like a bunch of ***** lazy *****. Valiquette is not the only guy to blame for that loss. Where's the blame for Brash on that turnover in the neutral zone? Where's the blame on Girardi and Staal for letting Heatley making all his way down to the nets? Some people here would better get used to see Valiquette starting more games this season. And the sooner the better. Hank will not play 82 times this season. And please, stop saying we would have won that game with Lundqvist yesterday, that's so easy to say so today. We win 7 games in a row, then lose 1 and the sky is falling... Don't look for excuse, "yeah if Lundqvist was in nets...". WE SUCKED YESTERDAY. WE SUCKED BIG TIME, THE WHOLE TEAM, NOT ONLY VALLIQUETTE.

Last edited by King of cool: 10-20-2009 at 09:39 AM.
King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Vally shuts out the Ducks and he's the best back-up in the league. A week later he gets torched by one of the more potent offenses in the game and now he's a liability? This is absurd.

Every goalie has bad games. Every last one of them. Couple that with the fact that Vally is a career back-up net-minder, and you can't drag the guy out to the barn and shoot him.

I don't understand Tortorella's decision to start Vally anymore than the rest of you, but one bad showing doesn't mean we need to bring up Zaba or Wiikman from Hartford, especially considering neither of them are doing particularly well in the minors.

Vally is a backup because he's not going to steal a game like Hank will, but he's exactly the kind of guy you want back there. He's a great team guy and, more often than not, he's a very capable backup.

I didn't get to see the game, but going by the highlights and game commentary in the GDT, it seemed like the Sharks outplayed us in most aspects of the game and the refs seemingly were out to get us. Hard to expect miracles from Vally in that situation.

It's one loss to a very good team. Hardly a reason to knock the house down and start rebuilding.

To be fair, this isn't directed solely at the OP, but to everyone calling for Vally's head after and during the game last night.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 09:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
He simply can't be played against top teams if we want to win the game. He's an average at-best backup.
hmmm and the ducks dont have one of the best lines in hockey?

Hes a good backup that plays for peanuts. When the Rangers go out and buy an overpriced "above average backup" (what is that anyway? how many are out there in this league?) then everyone will be up in arms about a backup playing 20 games and taking up too much cap space. You cant win.

Its one game. People have to chill.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Section311

I think Vally is a pretty good backup. To be honest I dont think he should have been playing in that game. To me it made no sense at all. We dont play till Thursday so its not like Henrik would be playing in back to back games or 3 in 4 nights. It turned out worse than it could have been because not only did we lose the game but Henrik had to go in anyway. But to say we have to address our backup because Vally got killed agaisnt the high offence of San Jose is crazy

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 09:49 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
OMFG!!! What situation? There's none situation! The whole team yesterday looked like a bunch of ***** lazy *****. Valiquette is not the only guy to blame for that loss. Where's the blame for Brash on that turnover in the neutral zone? Where's the blame on Girardi and Staal for letting Heatley making all his way down to the nets? Some people here would better get used to see Valiquette starting more games this season. And the sooner the better. Hank will not play 82 times this season. And please, stop saying we would have won that game with Lundqvist yesterday, that's so easy to say so today. We win 7 games in a row, then lose 1 and the sky is falling... Don't look for excuse, "yeah if Lundqvist was in nets...". WE SUCKED YESTERDAY. WE SUCKED BIG TIME, THE WHOLE TEAM, NOT ONLY VALLIQUETTE.
If you'd pay attention, you'd see where I said the loss was a TEAM EFFORT.

Quote:
Last night's loss to SJ was part Valli, part Brash, part everyone.
There, I even quoted it for you so your lack of reading comprehension should no longer be an issue.

Torts said Valli's effort was lacking, AND SO DID VALLI. FFS, people.

Last edited by WhiskeyDeke: 10-20-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: people are dumbasses
Old
10-20-2009, 10:06 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Wow. Really?

He had one bad game.

You know, after his shutout of the Ducks, I was thinking that maybe Vally should be named #1 and Hank #2.
So sorry I tried to open a discussion about a potential issue. By all means, continue to blow sunshine up each other's butts.

I'm not neccessarily calling for Valli's head, but some consistency would be nice. AGAIN, this is not all about last night's loss. We were having similar discussions last year, and it seems to just be the same story.

Old
10-20-2009, 10:09 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Vally's a good backup, but he often shows why hes a backup, last night being a good example.

Too soon to start talking about this, but its not the first time Vally's given a really questionable performance.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 10:16 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
So sorry I tried to open a discussion about a potential issue. By all means, continue to blow sunshine up each other's butts.

I'm not neccessarily calling for Valli's head, but some consistency would be nice. AGAIN, this is not all about last night's loss. We were having similar discussions last year, and it seems to just be the same story.
First of all, if backups were that great, they'd be starters. For a backup, Vally is excellent.

nobody's blowing sunshine up anything, but realizing that we dont need a knee jerk reaction thread after every single player on this team has a bad game.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 10:17 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:

There, I even quoted it for you so your lack of reading comprehension should no longer be an issue.
Well, to be fair, shouldn't you bring up the fact that you changed your post?

When I first read it, I remember only the first line being there.

Or maybe I only remember the first line because it was so ludicrous.

Old
10-20-2009, 10:19 AM
eco's bones

Valiquette is a good backup. He did not have a good game. The Staubitz goal was a bad one and it got their team rolling and the Rangers weren't able to stop it rolling. Heatley just made a great play on his goal. There are only a handful of players in the league that would have even gotten a shot off on that play. Valiquette after that had a hard time controlling rebounds and the Rangers D had a hard time containing all the traffic going to the net. We were losing battles all over the ice though. It wasn't just the defense and the goalie. San Jose took over the momentum of the game and had us on our heels after the Staubitz goal for most the rest of the night.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Vally is a backup because he's not going to steal a game like Hank will, but he's exactly the kind of guy you want back there. He's a great team guy and, more often than not, he's a very capable backup.
This. If you want a backup who will consistently steal games for you, be prepared to spend a whole lot of money and have that guy *****ing all the time because he wants to be a #1

Backup goalies are backups because they can't be relied upon to steal games and win every time they're in there. If you want something better, you have to pay for it, and usually those are the guys who aren't looking to be backups in the first place

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 10:20 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:

Consistency is coming in, on days where the coach determines Hank needs a rest, and playing well. Vally has done that, in spades.

Lest we forget his dominance of Philadelphia, the big win in TO during the Hall of Fame game, and his shutout of the Ducks this year.

Bad games happen.

Old
10-20-2009, 10:21 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
I'm just a bit mad, not against you personally and your opinion, but more against the general consensus around here. The GDT yesterday during the game was pathetic, people were only pointing out Vally's mistakes when the defence was at least as much guilty as him if not more. I think we're all looking too much into it today. That's just a game, we are not supposed to win them all.

We're overreacting a bit after what is just a loss that was supposed to come at some point. We have seen in the last 2 games a team less stronger than in the previous games. We were on a roll and took advantage of it. Before yesterday, we hadn't trailed for 260+ minutes or something, that was just a matter of time.

I don't think we should question the backup situation today, when you pointed it out yourself, this was a complete collapse by everyone. There's still that philosophy of "safe is death" that Tortorella is advocating. We won't be safe every game, the sooner the players will get that, the better it will be. Maybe we felt a bit too much comfortable after taking that early lead, we've been caught off-guard. Let's just not make it happen against two direct rivals, the Habs and the devils, this week.

This loss is a good wake up call if you want my opinion.

/peace.

Last edited by King of cool: 10-20-2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: And no I'm not a dumbass. ;P
King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 10:29 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
I'm just a bit mad, not against you personally and your opinion, but more against the general consensus around here. The GDT yesterday during the game was pathetic, people were only pointing out Vally's mistakes when the defence was at least as much guilty as him if not more. I think we're all looking too much into it today. That's just a game, we are not supposed to win them all.

We're overreacting a bit after what is just a loss that was supposed to come at some point. We have seen in the last 2 games a team less stronger than in the previous games. We were on a roll and took advantage of it. Before yesterday, we hadn't trailed for 260+ minutes or something, that was just a matter of time.

I don't think we should question the backup situation today, when you pointed it out yourself, this was a complete collapse by everyone. There's still that philosophy of "safe is death" that Tortorella is advocating. We won't be safe every game, the sooner the players will get that, the better it will be. Maybe we felt a bit too much comfortable after taking that early lead, we've been caught off-guard. Let's just not make it happen against two direct rivals, the Habs and the devils, this week.

This loss is a good wake up call if you want my opinion.

/peace.
I agree completely. Part of all of this is our love for the team and the game. I seemingly can't EVER get enough hockey discussion. So, that's why we analyze (and over-analyze) things like line combos, goalie choice, and defensive errors. Some things are knee-jerk, some aren't. But I can't complain, it's better than having nothing at all to talk about!

Old
10-20-2009, 10:32 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Good points by all, and we'll see how things go in the future. I agree that the game should serve as a wake up call.

Old
10-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

He had a bad game with a bad team effort in front of him. No reason to panic. He's been and will be solid for us.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
hes fine.hes one of the better backups in the lg.its one game,he had a bad one,happens to everyone.
No he isn't. Steve is a friend of mine and I like him personally but he is good 1 game and then 3 games off. He isn't all that good and suffers from concentration problems and 1 goal turns into 4-5 quickly with him

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Levitate

which is generally why he's a backup.

again, I don't know why people expect a backup goalie to be as good as a #1 goalie but just not play as much.

He had a bad game, he'll have some good games too. He's a backup, that's just how it is

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote