HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Backup goalie situation

Old
10-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Rangerfans

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
The sky isn't falling at all. I'm not sure I mentioned that, did I?

The trendy thing to do on here seems to be to try to call out other posters for being "irrational" and for implying that "the sky is falling" so as to make themselves seem cool, calm, collected, and most importantly, omniscient.
Agreed. And I never said that you did. But people have on this board and it's totally laughable. I go to the Devil boards and I see the seething hatred, irrational, and idiotic post there. Sadly, the Ranger boards are filled with similar morons and idiots who DO post about the sky is falling, bringing in Johnson for Vally, saying Torts sucks, etc. It's pathetic.

Quote:
My only point was simply to state that there could have been a better option for resting Hank. I'm thrilled with the team this year.

After all, people, this is a message board. If there is a scratch on a Ferrari, people will notice it.
I see you point, and it's a valid point. I simply agree to disagree with the decision and - in my opinion - believe the outcome would have been the same.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 04:58 AM
Osminator

well... no matter if vally is good or bad, he'll be there all season... not like help is on the way from the farm in Hartford... Zaba, Johnson are getting lit up pretty bad (Zaba injured on top of that), Wiikman started in the ECHL and hasn't been good either...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Osminator

For all you Vally fans out there, enjoy his new mask this season

Old
10-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
well... no matter if vally is good or bad, he'll be there all season... not like help is on the way from the farm in Hartford... Zaba, Johnson are getting lit up pretty bad (Zaba injured on top of that), Wiikman started in the ECHL and hasn't been good either...
Let's be fair, Wiikman started in the ECHL because he was coming back from an injury sustained during training camp. He's started once since coming back to the Wolfpack and lost 2-1.

It's very early in the season and there is plenty of time for all three Wolfpack goalies to regain their form. However, none of them deserve a call up in the near future and if that happens, it'll be on an emergency basis. And, chances are, if that happens, there will be a true crisis in Rangerland, because it would mean either Valliquette or (gasp) Lundqvist are injured. Losing either one of them long term would be a big problem and would require Sather to go out and find someone to fill in.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Let's be fair, Wiikman started in the ECHL because he was coming back from an injury sustained during training camp. He's started once since coming back to the Wolfpack and lost 2-1.

It's very early in the season and there is plenty of time for all three Wolfpack goalies to regain their form. However, none of them deserve a call up in the near future and if that happens, it'll be on an emergency basis. And, chances are, if that happens, there will be a true crisis in Rangerland, because it would mean either Valliquette or (gasp) Lundqvist are injured. Losing either one of them long term would be a big problem and would require Sather to go out and find someone to fill in.
Well, we'll have to ask Leslie, JI or Squish, but I also think that he was plain beat out by Chad Johnson.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Thanks O those pics are awesome

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well, we'll have to ask Leslie, JI or Squish, but I also think that he was plain beat out by Chad Johnson.
He was injured--here's part of the press release from the the Hartford Wolfpack site (dated Oct 6th), announcing Wiikman's assignment to the ECHL.

"...Wiikman had been unable to suit up for the Wolf Pack’s four preseason games, or their season opener in Binghamton Saturday, due to injury. Last season, Wiikman saw action in 43 games for the Pack, going 21-18-4 with a 2.70 goals-against average, a 90.4% save percentage and two shutouts. In 77 career outings in a Wolf Pack uniform over two seasons, the Mariestad, Sweden native is 42-26-7, with a 2.53 GAA, a 91.1% save percentage and four shutouts."

Johnson played well in pre-season, but Wiikman was unable to play at all. The injury to Zaba has given him a chance to regain his spot.

Doesn't change the fact that there is no goalie in the system capable of playing at the NHL level except in an emergency situation. If either Valliquette or (god forbid) Lundqvist are injured for any length of time, Sather will have to look elsewhere for help.

Old
10-21-2009, 07:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Thanks, BR, for clearing that up.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:41 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

I saw Zaba first hand here in Detroit during the preseason. They made him look silly.

Thats all I am saying.

Perhaps an old veteran would do. Like the Kipper/Cujo deal in Calgary..

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Vitto79

wowzah one bad start vs SJ and everyone snaps. He got a shut out in his other game people

he is a fine back up

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Edge

Quote:
I think he's just saying that in a game against a lesser opponent in a non-conference match, they still go for the kill. I blame TORTS more for the Sharks loss because he's the momo that rested a world-class goalie against an elite team. Rest him against Toronto on Sat. or next week. You don't rest your star goalie against elite teams. It's just retarded imo.
So let's say the coach clearly sees that his team is getting ready for a let down.

You'd prefer he make his starting goalie the sacraficial lamb?

To me it seems like the people who are so angry about this loss are arguing two sides of the coin - if Valli wins it's only because the team played defense in front of him, if he loses it's because he sucks. I mean that's a no win scenario for any goalie.

You guys make it sound like no backup ever plays against anyone other than crap teams.

And as has been pointed out, the TEAM sucked in that game. No goalie on the planet was going to reserve that outcome. Lundqvist actually played in that game and didn't look a hell of a whole lot because of the way the guys played in front of him.

Seems to me that we're not even debating if the Rangers could've won, we're splitting hairs over which goalie deserved to have their ass handed to them because the team they're playing behind forgot to show up.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Edge

Quote:
The trendy thing to do on here seems to be to try to call out other posters for being "irrational" and for implying that "the sky is falling" so as to make themselves seem cool, calm, collected, and most importantly, omniscient.

After all, people, this is a message board. If there is a scratch on a Ferrari, people will notice it.
True but you have to admit that this board tends to get very high and very low very easily.

I wouldn't even say that this qualifies as a scratch on the Ferrari. This is more of a fly on the windshield and we're debating about if a better driver could've avoided hitting it.

The answer in both cases, in my opinion, is a resounding no. Not with the way the Rangers played that game.

Now if you lose 3-2 and Valli completely blows it, maybe. But this team didn't play to win and that marginalizes a goalie very quickly when you're playing a tough opponent.

The only thing I see it changing is instead of blaming Torts for a "mistake" we're blaming the team for hanging our beloved Lundqvist out to dry and ruining his gaa or sv.pct.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:59 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
One thing Valiquette has over Henrik ... his mask is a MILLION times sicker than the Kings... not as good as Richter's which is a classic, but still really really sick.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Osminator

Old
10-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
Thank you.
New avatar material.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Osminator

In case anyone is interested in the Rangers' "other" goalie, Lundqvist, here is his mask

Old
10-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
In case anyone is interested in the Rangers' other goalie, Lundqvist, here is his mask

Henrik is my favourite player but his mask just doesn't do it like Steve's.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
Henrik is my favourite player but his mask just doesn't do it like Steve's.
mine too, steve's masks are just way more awesome... i believe his current spiderman mask is one of the best in the league.

i wish henrik would stop using the old rangers 3rd lady liberty logo... doesn't look right...

Old
10-22-2009, 10:05 AM
WheresBarnaby

Vally's a great backup, and if anything needs to play more.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 12:23 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Anyone think Vally will get a start out West?

I'm not sure if will, after Calgary on Saturday the Rangers only play 4 games in the next 15 nights.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 11:07 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Anyone still want to jump to his defense?

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:29 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Valli doesn't seemed focused. He made a lot of good saves tonight, but let in a ton of questionable and soft goals.

In any case, bringing in an outsider, is much more realistic and proactive than bringing up Chad Johnson. It's not going to benefit Johnson's development to sit behind Lundqvist and play at most once a week.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:53 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Valli doesn't seemed focused. He made a lot of good saves tonight, but let in a ton of questionable and soft goals.

In any case, bringing in an outsider, is much more realistic and proactive than bringing up Chad Johnson. It's not going to benefit Johnson's development to sit behind Lundqvist and play at most once a week.
Quite true--there's no way Johnson comes up except in an emergency situation and that would only be until they find someone else.

And anyone who thinks that this team's problems start with the backup goalie are deluding themselves. Valliquette is way down the list.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:03 AM
js10

Should not Vali play defense?? With his height and long arms and legs he is too high and not wide. I am pretty sure he would be doing good as a defense man but please keep him out of our goal.

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Chad has NOT been lit up. He had a slow first couple of games, but has been dominant since. The guy's GAA is something like 2.04.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote