HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs vs. Bruins - GAME TWO - Post game

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Cariboux

vCash: 500
Post Game Thread Game TWO

A very bad loss in OT. Theo should have stop that shot

We need to score in PP and that our scoring lines produces because we are going nowhere if we don't score. Just too bad because we were playing a great game

26-19 the shots for us

Old
04-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Lets hope home ice advantage is just that, an advantage!

Old
04-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Cariboux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I wish too 'cuz we have to win our 2 home games to remain in this serie...

Old
04-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Habs vs. Bruins - GAME TWO - Post game

Post Game: Playoff's Edition

(7th - 93 points) Montreal Canadiens VS. Boston bruins (2nd - 104 points)
Game 2
From the Fleetcenter center, Boston, Massachusetts.

1rst Round: Boston leads series 2-0
Game 1: 7/04, 2004 - Habs 0, Bruins 3
Game 2: 9/04, 2004 - Habs 1, Bruins 2 OT

Scoring Summary:

1rst period: 15:22, Michael Nylander 2 (Patrice Bergeron, Sergei Samsonov)
2nd period: 15:54, Patrice Brisebois 1 (power play) (Alexei Kovalev, Saku Koivu)
3rd period: None
OT Period: 1:26, Patrice Bergeron 1 (Michael Nylander, Sergei Samsonov)

Power Play:
Montreal: 1 / 6
Boston: 0 / 6

Stats:
Faceoffs: 29 won, 29 lost (Boston/Montreal).
Shots: Montreal 26, Boston 19.

I Didn't help much with this one Jl.Roberts. But the Habs were alive in this game. Hope the 2 homes games will look like the second and third period.

Last edited by Catala: 04-09-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old
04-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
We need the fans on our side, I'm afraid they won't if the Bruins take the lead. So, we've got to take the lead, and that, is really where the series could take a turn. We take the lead, we're in good shape, we don't we're done.

But I still think we can take that series, I really see us winning the 2 games in Montreal, win the one in Boston and comeback winning the series.

Go Habs

Old
04-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake
We need the fans on our side, I'm afraid they won't if the Bruins take the lead. So, we've got to take the lead, and that, is really where the series could take a turn. We take the lead, we're in good shape, we don't we're done.

But I still think we can take that series, I really see us winning the 2 games in Montreal, win the one in Boston and comeback winning the series.

Go Habs
Game 3 will be the biggest game of the year.

Old
04-09-2004, 09:53 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
which line should you check more closely?

Knuble-Thornton-Murray?
or
Samsonov-Nylander-Bergeron?

Old
04-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact

Knuble-Thornton-Murray?
or
Both equally. They are both deadly imo.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Knuble-Thornton-Murray?
or
So far that Nylander line is pretty dangerous.

But this is just to demonstrate that this is exactly where we have a problem against them. Those lines are what they are for a long time now. For the majority of the season, we only had 4 regular players with a combination of a lot of others for the remaining two spots.

That's where you lose your chemistry, we see that Boston has it and we don't.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:05 PM
felixd

Quote:

Knuble-Thornton-Murray?
or
For me, obviously the Nylander line. Let Bégin play against him some more see if he can't knock him down again.

Good team effort tonight, obviously a very disapointing loss, but Théo is not the only one to blame. Yes, he should have made sure the shot hit him in the chest, but what can you do, he is only human. Breezby and Bouillon weren't exactly good on that play either. I had been impressed with Bouillon's stickwork in the game, I was very surprsied and disapointed he didn't even try to poke check the puck away from Bergeron.

What hurt us the most was our power play. We HAVE to score on the PP to have a chance in this series, otherwise it won't matter if Theodore doesn't let in another goal.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd
For me, obviously the Nylander line. Let Bégin play against him some more see if he can't knock him down again.

Good team effort tonight, obviously a very disapointing loss, but Théo is not the only one to blame. Yes, he should have made sure the shot hit him in the chest, but what can you do, he is only human. Breezby and Bouillon weren't exactly good on that play either. I had been impressed with Bouillon's stickwork in the game, I was very surprsied and disapointed he didn't even try to poke check the puck away from Bergeron.

What hurt us the most was our power play. We HAVE to score on the PP to have a chance in this series, otherwise it won't matter if Theodore doesn't let in another goal.
He could have pokechecked that puck, and helped tip in it the net.There are all kinds of things we could say. We just lost, thats all there is too it. We have to forget and move on!

Old
04-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Guy!

It was a better game, for sure, but in the end the result was the same. However, for the discerning fan who understands that the playoffs this season are gravy on an already successful season, this overtime defeat where the Habs showed intensity and strong physical play should leave a satisfied smile. Not only did the Habs play with the Bruins and limit them to few shots and fewer chances, but they played a physical game and didn’t get run out of the park at all.

~~

Notes:

Theo: After all the good saves, he let in just about the worst goal possible for the game winner. What more can you say? B-

Bouillon: Not only did he put in some heavy hits, but his offensive game was good and his defence typically solid – right until the final goal when he allowed Bergeron to walk across for an easy shot. B-

Brisebois: A solid game and thank goodness he stuck to the basics rather than trying to be a hotdog. He did have a few problems down low, though, and didn’t challenge Bergeron at the end at all. C+

Rivet: He pinched a couple of times when he shouldn’t have; he hit a lot more than he usually does; he started the game very slowly; he went ballistic when Koivu was battered. Inconsistent, but at least he was physical. Defensively, not bad. B-

Markov: He had another quietly solid game. He knows how to accept a hit to make a play and is smart with the puck, even in the face of tough Boston forechecking. B

Quintal: For a big guy, I thought he was beaten by big guys too much. Time to thank him profusely for his years of service and welcome Komi to the lineup. C-

Souray: Much better game tonight. Yes, he pinched badly to cost the first goal, but other than that he was much better both on and off the puck, and added that nasty physical dimension that makes people think twice about challenging him. B

Langdon: I think he should have played more, quite honestly. He’s not the most skilled guy, but his hitting can make things happen. N/A

Dowd: Played a solid two-way game. He brings a wonderful dimension to our fourth line and penalty kill. B+

Ward: In limited time he looked good, but I didn’t see the same physical edge that he had in game one. Then again, when the Habs were down by one, Julien finally shortened his bench. B-

Juneau: Thornton’s line was contained, ergo he did his job. No complaints. B-

Begin: Not only did he play here, but he was on the second line for some shifts as well in place of Dagenais. Tonight he was fantastic, physical, had a little offensive flair, and was defensively strong. A-

Bulis: For two periods he used his speed really effectively. He really is a checker and looks much better on this line than on the first. He also adds an element of danger to that line which keeps the opposition on its toes. B

Dagenais: He had a couple of good shifts, but was so inconsistent and such a defensive liability that he had to be taken out. I’m not sure we’ll see him next game. C-

Ribeiro: Again, he played a decent game, managed to throw the body here and there, and created an ounce or two of offence. However, for someone in his position, that’s not nearly enough and if there’s one reason why we weren’t more competitive, it was the lack of offence from the second line. B-

Ryder: Back to his usual self as he banged, crashed, shot, deked and generally looked like a more complete player. Now, if we could only clone Koivu and give him Ryder on one line. B

Kovalev: The first period was the old Kovalev, the rest of the game was the new and improved Kovy. He was solid, at times dominant, made some big hits, some sweet plays , and finally looked like the star we were supposed to have received. B+

Zednik: Another inconsistent evening. One moment he flailed with his stick at the puck, the next he attacked and beat his opponent around the outside, or even challenged them through the middle. We need more. B-

Koivu: He was the centre of virtually all the offence tonight, and despite his three penalties, was probably the best Hab. He was hitting, was feisty with and without the puck, and was moving with an ease we’ve not seen in quite a while. B+

Julien: Where is Komi? I’m glad he finally shortened his bench…

PP/PK: Well, tonight the PK looked very good while the PP was horrid, other than that goal on the 5v3. We’ve got to get that PP working or we’re toast. D+/A-

~~

An abbreviated review from vacation down in balmy London, Ontario. Disappointing result, but at the end of it all, I only had one large question flying through my mind: what’s with the facial hair they seem to be attempting… ** Man Chu?

ACF

Old
04-09-2004, 10:11 PM
felixd

Quote:
He could have pokechecked that puck, and helped tip in it the net.There are all kinds of things we could say. We just lost, thats all there is too it. We have to forget and move on!
Definitely true. By the way, I wasn't trying to pit the blame on anyone, much less Bouillon in my post. Sorry if it came out that way.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Mooch

No you didnt come out that way at all. I was just pointing out that anything could happen!

Old
04-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Kovalev Is A Hab

Juneau made some big hits tonight, very impressed by that.

Begin is god.

Ward is a playoff performer!

Bouillon stepped up!

Souray is NOT at the top of his game, he looks sluggish and slow.

Kovalev had this best game as a hab.

Koivu was undisiplined and did not play his best game.

Zednik was very decent, i liked his drive!

Markov was very steady!

Ribeiro had a good game, he hits everything and trys his best offensively.

Ryder played O.K

Quintal is very slow and it's showing.

Rivet was great tonight, loved his fiestiness along with Bouillon on the blueline!

I would REALLY love to see Komisarek play, if we go out, may as well go out with a bang baby!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Old
04-09-2004, 10:33 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

I can't forget Bergeron's move, a fake head move to the right and bit Boullion. No excuses for Theo either

Old
04-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Guy, I think you give too much credit to Theo tonight. He had almost nothing to do and and when we needed him most he let us down. I don't think he deserves more then an "E" and that definitely doesn't stand for "effort".

I just hope he can turn it around for game three and stop letting in the soft goals.

Also, I wanted to mention Kovalev. It's really sad that people get on him when our best players (Ribiero, Koivu & Zednik) haven't been producing at all lately. Kovy was one if not the best player for us tonight. We saw a better effort overall and a real good third period from the team. I think we can win game 3.

Last edited by Natural Habs Fan: 04-09-2004 at 10:53 PM.
Old
04-09-2004, 11:16 PM
sonnytheman

hey, here's something I posted on another board (i didn't feel like writing it up again)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For one, did everyone see how the Habs dominated the last two periods? There weren't more than 5 or 6 chances for the Bruins all game, and the Canadiens' skaters definitely got better and better as the game went on. Those 'smurfs' sure showed a lot of heart.

Speaking of 'smurfs', what should we call the B's, since they were dominated physically by the Habs? Except for a few Martin Lapointe hits in the 1st period, most every other hit ended up with a Bruin on the ice. And Begin....hello Nylander!

The Canadiens also outchanced the Bruins by a wide margin....if only they could hit the net! There were so many occasions where the shooters simply shot wide, and that is very frustrating.

Theodore let in a softie, nobody argues that (and no, it wasn't Bouillon's fault, he steps up and Bergeron skates around him), but he will bounce back. He is too good to let this rattle him.

And, the last thing, and the one thing that makes me happiest......look at how far our fair Habitants have come! From missing the playoffs three years out of four (or four outta 5?) to dominating a team with 104 pts in the regular season, losing only due to a lack of finish and an excellent rookie goaltender. Every player played better than game 1 (except for Souray, who I thought was horrible in the early stages today) and there is no reason for that trend not to continue.

That makes me very optimistic for the rest of this series, as well as for the next couple of years.

Enjoy the rest of the series everyone!

Old
04-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Habsolution

At least we got a point tonight... err...

Old
04-09-2004, 11:27 PM
LeafNation

The bruins have a good chance at sweeping the habs in Montreal. Montreal's confidence must be at an all-time low after that choke-job in OT.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:31 PM
rib71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafNation
The bruins have a good chance at sweeping the habs in Montreal. Montreal's confidence must be at an all-time low after that choke-job in OT.

i disagree, ya they lost , but they were in it till the end and they had legitimate scoring chances!!!
if they lost 3-0 again then ya their confidence would be low but like sheldon souray say lots of positives!!! out of this game!!!

Old
04-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
I was happy with Kovalev play tonight , that's what he can bring to the team . Ward was also very good and i think we shoud try him on the 2nd line because right now Ryder is always watched and the winger isin't doing what he have to do : creating space for Ryder and Ribs and rushing the net .

Kovalev-Koivu-Zednik
Ryder-Ribeiro-Ward
Bulis - Dowd - Sundstrom
Bulis - Bégin - Juneau

Keep our D and dress Komisarek

Old
04-10-2004, 12:04 AM
markov`

Guys, I got a feeling we will win the 1st round. The team played really well and we're a streaky team: the 2nd and 3nd period are promising the beggining of a good streak. Montreal in 7, I say!

PS. My first prediction was Bruins in 5, but I changed my mind.

Old
04-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Kovalev Is A Hab

Montreal in 6!

Habs will win the next 4 games, you better believe it.

Old
04-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Hab-a-maniac

We won't get swept but we won't win in Boston either. Our road record this year had been particularly poor the last month or so, so it's no surprise. The home atmosphere gives us our best shot to come back. We can steal momentum. It's still in the realm of possibility. However, not just tying the series is hard, it's even more difficult to do that and subsequently win. But why can't we? I'll tell you:

Because we don't have a game-breaking superstar is a small part, but we don't have a coach or dressing room that challenges each other. They go about their own business, yet they need to make their teammates' business, theirs too. Plus, CJ can't dodge the obvious: some top forwards have sucked. Don't hold back because of their good seasons: Zednik, Koivu, Ribeiro, Ryder, Dags, all have to be better.

Look at Sutter. He loses one damn game and challenges his team to play better, particularly Iginla and Kiprusoff and they responded. When he's benched Ryder or Ribeiro before, the response coming back has been great. He needs to start calling them out, make real playoff performers out of them. We don't need a hard ass coach ala Pat Burns, but we don't need another Jacques "I can only teach the guys so much" Demers, who lets his team's big stars off a little easily sometimes.

Who agrees? This comeback can be accomplished but it has to be acheived from within the squad when it comes to resurrecting the confidence. Today was a good start, but Boston's defense has been Devil-like. So we need much better execution, especially on the power play. Defensive meltdowns and odd-man rushes were sporadic but still too frequent and we saw Boston bury two of them. For Montreal, several of these chances were thwarted easily by their D and even Raycroft so it's time to pull out the home magic of 2002 now or else we're finished. A game 3 win will put us right back in and it remains to be seen how we'd respond to that kind of rejuvenation. One thing's for sure, guys underacheiving big-time (ie. Ribeiro) need to elevate their game or be criticised.

Closed Thread