HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Young Goalies Available?

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Young Goalies Available?

With Andrew Raycroft having a Vezina caliber season for Boston, would they be willing to move Hannu Toivonen.

Also, will Buffalo be moving one of Ryan Miller or Mikka Noronen?

Any other potential #1 goalies that could be moved this summer?

Old
03-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Teemu

I think Raycroft is the more likely of the two to be moved.

Old
03-30-2004, 10:14 PM
BruinFan42

The Bruins organization is higher on Toivonen than they are on Raycroft. In fact, they expect Toivonen to take over the #1 job within the next two years, so I doubt they'll be moving him unless it's for something very big in return...

Old
03-30-2004, 10:59 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
what would boston want for raycroft from the kings? we all know how much the like to trade with one another...

what are boston's needs?

would trading raycroft be a PR disaster for them?

Old
03-30-2004, 11:02 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
With Montreal's signing of Yann Danis, who knows? Maybe they would be willing to shop Mathieu Garon and hopefully he will finally get his shot.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
Also, will Buffalo be moving one of Ryan Miller or Mikka Noronen?

More likely Noronen or Biron, IMO.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Penguins are drowning in young goalies, but it's unlikely any will be dealt.

Caron could be dealt for the right price, but he has 3 years left on his contract and Patrick almost never trades young talent so I wouldn't bet on it for another year or so.

Old
03-31-2004, 12:19 AM
amazingcrwns
IBelieveThatWeWilWin

I don't think you'll see the Bruins move either Toivenan or Raycroft anytime soon. You'd have to really overpay to get one of them right now. I think Boston will at least wait to see how any potential rule changes might help or hurt either goalie. Right now the B's have 2 very good young Goaltenders, a problem I'm sure they're happy to have. Unless some team really overpays I doubt either one of them is moved until Hannu get's a chance to show what he can do in the NHL first.

Old
03-31-2004, 01:26 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator
what would boston want for raycroft from the kings? we all know how much the like to trade with one another...

what are boston's needs?

would trading raycroft be a PR disaster for them?
they would want as part of any deal that might happen, stumpel.

Old
03-31-2004, 05:25 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
I wouldn't be surprised to see Caron dealt with Chiodo being so strong and Duba willing to be signed.
But Caron won't go cheap. Either CP finds the right deal or he doesn't deal him. Caron makes few money and is signed for two more years.

Old
03-31-2004, 05:47 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Jason Bacashihua for a potential top 4 defensive prospect..

Old
03-31-2004, 12:33 PM
Mizral

Cechmanek not working out, Herbs?

Why go young though? Not sure I get it. The chances of pulling a Raycroft out of a hat is slim to none. Better off going with a guy with some experience if you ask me.

How about try for Garon out of Montreal? It wouldn't be cheap (for sure, it'd cost the Kings something good), but he would solidify the Kings goaltending somewhat.

Doesn't Cechmanek have another year though? Might be hard for Taylor to pay three goaltenders.

Old
03-31-2004, 12:56 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Garon could be had for the right price.

Old
03-31-2004, 01:06 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
More likely Noronen or Biron, IMO.
Trading Biron is dumb for one reason. He is older.

By keeping him and Miller you can have two capable goalies for a long time. Noronen is the one I feel should be traded of that bunch. Im sure a team in need of a young goalie would "overpay" for him.

Old
03-31-2004, 01:41 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
I wouldn't be surprised to see Caron dealt with Chiodo being so strong and Duba willing to be signed.
But Caron won't go cheap. Either CP finds the right deal or he doesn't deal him. Caron makes few money and is signed for two more years.

Actually, I think he's got 3 more years:

Pens have....for next year:

NHL:
MAF
Caron

AHL:
Chiodo
Duba

ECHL:
Exter
Brochu

They could easily deal Caron, promote Chiodo, and move Brochu back up to WBS..... CP has also...Gasp....left open the option of bringing back JS Aubin.

Old
03-31-2004, 01:51 PM
rekrul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
The Bruins organization is higher on Toivonen than they are on Raycroft. In fact, they expect Toivonen to take over the #1 job within the next two years, so I doubt they'll be moving him unless it's for something very big in return...
I remember a similar situation in the sharks Org, when Nabokov was supposed to be filling in time for the higher touted prospects Kipprusoff and Toskala, both were rated way higher by the development staf than Nabokov, but Nabby got the starting nod after shields went in injury and went onto the calder.

I have seen that having to many goalies is not like haveing too many skaters, evetually they have to be moved( remember J Hedberg moved for nothing more as a favor to him ). SHarks are probably going to lose Samus Koytk to free agency to make room for two better propects. Koytk can start and possibly carry a AHL team right now, has potential left in him.

Old
03-31-2004, 02:14 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
Trading Biron is dumb for one reason. He is older.

By keeping him and Miller you can have two capable goalies for a long time. Noronen is the one I feel should be traded of that bunch. Im sure a team in need of a young goalie would "overpay" for him.

Biron's a whole two years older than Noronen and they'll be 27 and 25 next season, I don't see how age is a factor.

Are you sure teams would overpay for Noronen? If someone does that's absolutely great I'd deal him in a second. I happen to think he's a more reliable goalie than Biron who frankly looks like the second coming of Cechmanek or Cloutier to me. If it were me I'd dangle both and whoever gets the better return in the trade gets dealt. This is why I said Biron and Noronen and not Miller who is probably untouchable from the organizational standpoint right now. Then again with all the effort they put into Biron he could have that status as well. I don't think he should though.

Old
03-31-2004, 02:20 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Yeats could be had, cheap....

Old
03-31-2004, 02:28 PM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Why would Boston move Raycroft, already playing great in the NHL, to give Toivonen a shot, who might never make it?

Old
03-31-2004, 02:34 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
This really depends on Raycroft. If he delivers great games during the playoffs, I wish good luck to Toivonen (zero NHL experience) to take the place of Raycroft soon. Anyway, the Bruins are lucky to have two marvelous goaltender prospects in their organisation. If today any other franchise wanted to trade for one of them, this would have to be an overpayment.

Old
03-31-2004, 02:39 PM
Famous Flames

Dallas has an overload of above average to good goalie prospects, but they are probably too young and unproven for Dallas to get any value for them.

Old
03-31-2004, 02:50 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
Biron's a whole two years older than Noronen and they'll be 27 and 25 next season, I don't see how age is a factor.

Are you sure teams would overpay for Noronen? If someone does that's absolutely great I'd deal him in a second. I happen to think he's a more reliable goalie than Biron who frankly looks like the second coming of Cechmanek or Cloutier to me. If it were me I'd dangle both and whoever gets the better return in the trade gets dealt. This is why I said Biron and Noronen and not Miller who is probably untouchable from the organizational standpoint right now. Then again with all the effort they put into Biron he could have that status as well. I don't think he should though.
Biron isnt all that bad most of the time, Ive seen him steal many games for the Sabres. I live in Rochester (damn Time Warner Cable blocked Empire so I have to pay to watch it now!! ) and I've seen Noronen play for the Amerks and he is good, but Miller is even better. There is no sense in letting both of those younger goalies (who obviously want to start) rot on the bench.

Biron has less value because of his salary and age. You'd get more in a trade for Noronen imo, but you could be right. Neither of us knows for sure.

I think Biron, IF a team is willing to absorb his salary and his inconsistent play, would net a decent return. For his salary, age, and ability Noronen would have the greater value on the market. Package him with the freshly skating Timmy Connoly and you'd net a solid D prospect imo.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Doesn't Cechmanek have another year though? Might be hard for Taylor to pay three goaltenders.
I beleive he signed a 3 year deal after his rookie year with the Flyers, so this would be the last year. I'm not too sure if there is an option or not.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:37 PM
Phaze

If Cloutier doesn't have a strong playoffs, I'd support the Canucks letting him go and trading for a guy like Garon. The Habs should move him, and I think he might be a better goalie than Cloutier.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:41 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I beleive he signed a 3 year deal after his rookie year with the Flyers, so this would be the last year. I'm not too sure if there is an option or not.
this site doesn't say anything about that (Huet is an RFA though, be interesting to see how that plays out)
Mckeen's hockey yearbook says Cechmanek's contract is up in 2005

Closed Thread