HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs have 16 players without contracts next year...why no fuss from Maguire etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-21-2009, 05:21 PM
  #1
shayne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ontario
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Leafs have 16 players without contracts next year...why no fuss from Maguire etc

Gainey was ripped last year for not signing his ufa's and rfa's, i have not heard word 1 about the Leafs, is it more toronto bias or do people now realize Gainey did the right thing by not signing all those stiffs(komisarek, kovalev, higgins, dandeneault, bouillon, brisebois et all are stinking up the joint this year)

i just thought it was a point of interest and if i had a chance i would ask Pierre what the difference is, maybe he has a crush on Burke and or Toronto

shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:23 PM
  #2
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,299
vCash: 500
Little early for this isn't it?

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:29 PM
  #3
Transplanted Caper
Registered User
 
Transplanted Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Internet Underbelly
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,678
vCash: 500
Leafs with no contract next season:

Kulemin
Wallin
Mitchell
Stajan
Ponikarovsky
Primeau
Mayers
Stempniak
Wallin
Van Ryn
Exelby
White
Toskala
Gustavsson
MacDonald


No Komisarek, Koivu or Kovalev among them. Nobody would command a big pay day. The situations are completely different. Kulemin, White, Mitchell and Gustavsson are only ons I'd bet money on returning.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:32 PM
  #4
8BostonRocker24
Registered User
 
8BostonRocker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Gatos via Boston
Country: China
Posts: 9,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Leafs with no contract next season:

Kulemin
Wallin
Mitchell
Stajan
Ponikarovsky
Primeau
Mayers
Stempniak
Wallin
Van Ryn
Exelby
White
Toskala
Gustavsson
MacDonald


No Komisarek, Koivu or Kovalev among them. Nobody would command a big pay day. The situations are completely different. Kulemin, White, Mitchell and Gustavsson are only ons I'd bet money on returning.
This.
Montreal also replaced those players with overpriced UFAs or traded for a player with one of the worst contracts in the sport.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:34 PM
  #5
Sad Panda
Registered User
 
Sad Panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
Uhh... we're still in October and a decent number of those guys will be moved for picks, or atleast attempted to be moved for picks. Outside of 3 or 4 in that list, it wouldn't be such a bad thing if most moved on.

They'll sign a couple of them to new deals, others will be traded for picks, and the rest... bye bye!

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:39 PM
  #6
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
Gainey was ripped last year for not signing his ufa's and rfa's, i have not heard word 1 about the Leafs, is it more toronto bias or do people now realize Gainey did the right thing by not signing all those stiffs(komisarek, kovalev, higgins, dandeneault, bouillon, brisebois et all are stinking up the joint this year)

i just thought it was a point of interest and if i had a chance i would ask Pierre what the difference is, maybe he has a crush on Burke and or Toronto
Dont know if youve noticed or not, but Brisebois retired. How exactly is he stinking up the joint? Same with Dandeneault as he JUST signed a PTO.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:41 PM
  #7
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,091
vCash: 500
Most of those guys are trash anyways....the core for them now is Schenn, Kessell, Beauchemein, and Komisarek....

Difference is Montreal lost there "core" or never really had any...either the core players were too old or too young...Streit and Souray leaving for nothing hurt them...so they had to go out and sign and trade for some guys between 25-30....they still don't have any stud younger players playing on the NHL team...Which is weird because HF has them ranked #2 of organizational ratings over all.

Plekanec is already 27 and guys like Gill, Spacek are over 30.....Price is there best young player....and that's a question mark the past 2 years.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:42 PM
  #8
SedinFan*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Let them all walk.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:42 PM
  #9
My Sweet Shadow
Registered User
 
My Sweet Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,653
vCash: 500
Kessel, Blake, Hagman, Grabovski, Orr, Stalberg, Bozak, Hanson, and Kadri up front next year.
Komisarek, Kaberle, Beachemin, Schenn and Finger on the back end.

Sign one or two big names up front, resign or find a few new mid-line forwards, call up Gunnarsson or Oreskovic for the 6th defenseman, resign Gustavsson, and find a back-up.

This is not going to be Montreal 2.0

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:42 PM
  #10
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
This is as big a part of Burke's rebuild as bringing in the UFAs this summer.

How many of those players do you think Burke even wants back next year? With the way they are playing now, will many fans mind most of them not coming back?

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:44 PM
  #11
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
I think it's a little different for Toronto. They are in a rebuilding (or what ever the heck you want to call it) stage. Montréal was a competitive team and it's important to resign those same guys (though honestly, I think they've done alright for themselves)

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:46 PM
  #12
Sebastien Centomo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,556
vCash: 500
A little bit of thought goes a looong way...
Posted via Mobile Device

Sebastien Centomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:46 PM
  #13
Flyersguru
Registered User
 
Flyersguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,400
vCash: 500
Don't all those players combine for like $5 million in cap space?

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:03 PM
  #14
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 500
Toronto has 38mil committed to Kessel, Blake, Hagman, Grabo, Stalberg, Orr, Rosehill, Komi, Kaberle, Beauchemin, Finger, and Schenn.

Thats 7 forwards (5 of whom can easily play top 6) and 5 D-men, all of whom are top 6 d. Lets assume Wallin is back for 1.3, Kulemin is back for 1.75, and Stepniak is back for 2.5 (only way they'd resign him is if he continues his strong play, and his play warrants 2.5mil). They then resign Gustav for 1.5 as well, and White for 2.5. Bozak and Hanson are on ELCs

That would leave them with 12F 6D and 1G all signed for 48mil. That leaves around 8mil for one of Kovalchuck, Savard, Frolov, Demitra, Plekanec, O.Jokinen, Svatos, Kariya, Marleau, Semin, Backstrom, Setoguchi, Brassard, Mueller, Kane, Toews, Foligno, Wheeler, Lucic, Little, Ryan, Keith, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Volchenkov, Gonchar, Martin, Hiller, Rinne, Turco, or Nabokov, and a role player. That's assuming they don't trade/waive one of Hagman, Blake, Kaberle, or Finger. Leafs are keeping the core intact which makes this way different then the Habs situation.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:08 PM
  #15
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan
 
Leafidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,917
vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Don't all those players combine for like $5 million in cap space?
Probably closer to half our payroll

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:13 PM
  #16
ILuvLucic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Location Location
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
This.
Montreal also replaced those players with overpriced UFAs or traded for a player with one of the worst contracts in the sport.
1) What Gainey did during the off-season has nothing to do with this thread.

2) Quit trolling.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:15 PM
  #17
Number13
Registered User
 
Number13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Dont know if youve noticed or not, but Brisebois retired. How exactly is he stinking up the joint? Same with Dandeneault as he JUST signed a PTO.
Yeah, retirement homes are stinky to begin with!

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:21 PM
  #18
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Kessel, Blake, Hagman, Grabovski, Orr, Stalberg, Bozak, Hanson, and Kadri up front next year.
Komisarek, Kaberle, Beachemin, Schenn and Finger on the back end.

Sign one or two big names up front, resign or find a few new mid-line forwards, call up Gunnarsson or Oreskovic for the 6th defenseman, resign Gustavsson, and find a back-up.

This is not going to be Montreal 2.0
Toronto wishes it could be Montreal 2.0 with this record.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:22 PM
  #19
Getaway
 
Getaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 324
vCash: 500
this is also why there's going to be even more player movement this year for the leafs because there's only about 4 players that i believe toronto will be signing this year making this another interesting year in leaf land.

hope something good happens to this organization.

Getaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:25 PM
  #20
Viller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
Toronto has 38mil committed to Kessel, Blake, Hagman, Grabo, Stalberg, Orr, Rosehill, Komi, Kaberle, Beauchemin, Finger, and Schenn.

Thats 7 forwards (5 of whom can easily play top 6)
5 of whom can play top 6? Remember you guys traded those first round picks... Kessel is the only legit first line player of all those fowards, that I'd want part of my first line anyway.

All I'm saying is none of those players, save Kessel, would make a playoffs team's top 6.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:28 PM
  #21
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
This is as big a part of Burke's rebuild as bringing in the UFAs this summer.

How many of those players do you think Burke even wants back next year? With the way they are playing now, will many fans mind most of them not coming back?
Well that was also behind what Gainey was trying to do...Of the 11 UFA`s on the Habs roster last year, there were 3 maybe 4 who he wanted back and negotiated with.

What`s the difference?

Oh yeah...Burke`s a genius

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:31 PM
  #22
Transplanted Caper
Registered User
 
Transplanted Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Internet Underbelly
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Well that was also behind what Gainey was trying to do...Of the 11 UFA`s on the Habs roster last year, there were 3 maybe 4 who he wanted back and negotiated with.

What`s the difference?

Oh yeah...Burke`s a genius
The obvious difference is that Toronto has no core players to replace.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:38 PM
  #23
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
Gainey was ripped last year for not signing his ufa's and rfa's, i have not heard word 1 about the Leafs, is it more toronto bias or do people now realize Gainey did the right thing by not signing all those stiffs(komisarek, kovalev, higgins, dandeneault, bouillon, brisebois et all are stinking up the joint this year)

i just thought it was a point of interest and if i had a chance i would ask Pierre what the difference is, maybe he has a crush on Burke and or Toronto
There aren't a whole lot of Leafs that you need to secure at this point.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:38 PM
  #24
sgupca
Registered User
 
sgupca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Leafs with no contract next season:

Kulemin
Wallin
Mitchell
Stajan
Ponikarovsky
Primeau
Mayers
Stempniak
Wallin
Van Ryn
Exelby
White
Toskala
Gustavsson
MacDonald


No Komisarek, Koivu or Kovalev among them. Nobody would command a big pay day. The situations are completely different. Kulemin, White, Mitchell and Gustavsson are only ons I'd bet money on returning.
Highlighted are the only ones worth keeping,

this is why our season is off to an 0-7 start

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:00 PM
  #25
My Sweet Shadow
Registered User
 
My Sweet Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Toronto wishes it could be Montreal 2.0 with this record.
Wow, thanks, I didn't realize Toronto has such an awful record.

My comments weren't meant to be a shot at Montreal at all; I was replying to the OP's claim that Toronto will be in an identical situation this offseason as Montreal was last year.

(And at this point, the gap between 24th and 30th isn't all that far. I don't think either side can brag.)

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.