HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone know where I can find a faceoff diagram?

Old
10-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Blackjack

vCash: 500
Anyone know where I can find a faceoff diagram?

So my beer league team has no idea how to line up for a defensive zone faceoff and is not intelligent enough for me to explain it to them.

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram that shows the d-zone faceoff formation where the two wingers are both in the slot with the defenseman between them, and the other defenseman is next to the boards, lined up against the opposing winger?

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 04:42 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
So my beer league team has no idea how to line up for a defensive zone faceoff and is not intelligent enough for me to explain it to them.

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram that shows the d-zone faceoff formation where the two wingers are both in the slot with the defenseman between them, and the other defenseman is next to the boards, lined up against the opposing winger?
Hmm, if nobody knows where to get one, wouldn't it be fairly easy to draw up on Paint?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Hmm, if nobody knows where to get one, wouldn't it be fairly easy to draw up on Paint?
I tried and it looked like **** - I'm not much of an artist. I can draw it up on board before the game if I need to, but I was hoping someone would have a nicely done diagram

Old
10-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Frankie Spankie

You mean something like this?

It sounds like you want the one on the left except to swap the RD with the LW, did that by mistake. But why not line up like the one on the right? That way if you win the face off cleanly, you'll immediately have possession of the puck without having to skate hard into the corner for it. It'll be easier for the LW to go straight to their point with that line up too.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:03 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post

It sounds like you want the one on the left except to swap the RD with the LW, did that by mistake. But why not line up like the one on the right? That way if you win the face off cleanly, you'll immediately have possession of the puck without having to skate hard into the corner for it. It'll be easier for the LW to go straight to their point with that line up too.
Yeah, the one on the left is crazy, the one on the right has pretty much been the default in every league I've ever played in, except with the LD scooted to the right a bit.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post

Hmm, I though most organized teams preferred the other way since it puts both wings are in the shooting lanes of the opposing defensemen, and both defensemen start right next to the wingers they are defending. So it's uncommon then? I'll have to pay a bit more attention at the next NHL game I go to...

I've played that alternative formation on other teams and as a winger it's great because you're cutting right through the faceoff circle, and if you get a good jump you can swipe the puck even if the other center wins it, and bank it off the boards and you're off to the races.

Anyway, thanks for posting the diagram.

Old
10-21-2009, 10:08 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

We change faceoff alignment all the time, just pointing with your stick works.

Just grab a piece of paper and draw a circle and use X's for players. If they cant understand that then wow.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Yeah, the one on the left is crazy, the one on the right has pretty much been the default in every league I've ever played in, except with the LD scooted to the right a bit.
Well, where you place the defensemen behind the center face off artist will depend on which way he holds his stick and how the puck is going to be drawen back during the face off.

Now, the purpose of the positioning is not to just stand their and watch the face off artist. Example: If the face artist gets the puck back to the defensemen behind, the Right winger (in the drawing) should move to the breakout position set up on the off wing to assist the defensemen in the breakout.

If the face off artist does not get the puck back to the defensemen, the right winger needs to head out to his zone coverage out at the point to cover the attacking defensemen.

If the face off artist draws the puck to either side of him, the first thing the left winger should do is pass the puck back to the defensemen set up behind. If the puck moves towards the right defenseman, he should pass the puck back to the defensemen set up behind.

In too many cases, when the face off artist moves the puck to the side, for some crazy reason the left winger of right defensemen and some times the face off artist feel the need to start advancing the puck up the strong side, only to have the puck taken away.

During the face off, everyone needs to know what their responsibility is during the face off and that is to get the puck back to the defensemen set up behind and NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!

This will allow the defensemen behind to move the puck behind the net towards the weak side to start the breakout. Now, during the breakout towards the weak side behind the net, allow the center to curl and the Left winger to overload the zone. See diagram below.

Now, naturally all of the players on the other team are not going to be standing around. Generally you will have the two defensemen out at the point shift over, which is what I have indicated here. The key to this whole breakout is the off winger. It's all in the timing during the breakout and must be practiced ALL the time.

Now, during the breakout have the left winger time his overload between the two defensemen. This is going to do two things: One, the two defensemen will see this and jump off the line to cover him and two, it makes the breakout easier.

Now, if you would like more tactical information on multiple breakouts, send me a PM and I will help you with this. Or, sign up at http://www.passthepuck.net They will send you a monthly newsletter with coaching tips and free drills.

Head coach