HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time For A New Coach? (and other musings on what has gone wrong)

View Poll Results: who should it be?
Keep Paul Maurice 34 56.67%
Willie Desjardins 2 3.33%
Tom Rowe 5 8.33%
Kevin Dineen 3 5.00%
Scott Arniel 0 0%
Don Hay 1 1.67%
Ulf Samuelsson 1 1.67%
Ron Francis 5 8.33%
Peter Laviolette 7 11.67%
Other (please state coach) 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-31-2009, 05:06 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
This could be where Eklund pulled this Whitney talk from,

http://www.canescountry.com/2009/10/...ng-ray-whitney

Cory Lavalette, are you one of Eklunds sources?
Well this would reignite the Olli Jokinen to Carolina talk that we made up last season on this board and actually made it to Eklund's hot deadline rumors.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

vCash: 69
For what it's worth, the list of player reps for the NHLPA is set to come out public on Monday I believe, so it will be interesting to see who ours is. Whoever it is, may get traded soon. Stay tuned on that one.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I would imagine Aaron Ward or Tim Gleason. I think Gleason served as ours last year.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
nhlscap.com says Whitney has a No Movement Clause. Walker & Wallin have NTC and Staal has a NTC that kicks in July 1st.

Take it for what it's worth, who knows.
Forslund and Mike M got a question about this postgame today. They said Whitney has an NTC, and neither of them put much stock in it or had heard about other than the previously mentioned source

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 06:46 AM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
Quote:

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:14 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Holy ****, Jimmy's actually listening:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CAR|home

Quote:
“From the player personnel point of view, I take responsibility for the decisions I made,” said General Manager Jim Rutherford, whose team is off to a 2-8-3 start. “I probably should have gone about this a different way, and I take full responsibility for what’s going on. Now I have to fix it.”

“If we can move certain players, then we can start to transition into the team that we felt we would transition into next year,” said Rutherford. “We do have a lot of good young players now, and I’m not sure that they’re 100 percent ready to play here, but if we’re not going to win with a veteran team then we may as well transition sooner rather than later.”
Maybe he'll listen to us when we say that we NEED a new coach too.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:18 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
rebuild baby

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

^^Definitely not. In fact, half of the point of his statements as I see it is to deflect blame away from Mo by taking responsibility himself. That said, I was quite pleased with everything he said in that article.

11-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Holy ****, Jimmy's actually listening:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CAR|home

Maybe he'll listen to us when we say that we NEED a new coach too.
That's as much a financial issue as anything else. I believe Laviolette's contract ran through 2011, so I doubt they would make a move on Maurice before then and pay 3 people to be head coach.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:56 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
That's as much a financial issue as anything else. I believe Laviolette's contract ran through 2011, so I doubt they would make a move on Maurice before then and pay 3 people to be head coach.
Im sure they would bump Mo upstairs so they really wouldnt be paying 3 coaches......just 2 plus a guy who is really getting overpaid for some admin stuff lol. Do you think Mo would answer phones or make coffee?

The could also promote from within like the Pens did with Bylsma from Scranton last season. Daniels by most accounts is a very good coach especially with the younger guys and Roe is already there to put the whip to the vets. I dont think Roe and Mo was ever a good combo. I think the Ron Francis experiment is over.

Last edited by faulkingdynamic: 11-02-2009 at 11:03 AM.
faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 12:59 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
It’s a little bit of a juggling act,” said Rutherford. “You can just see in the few games that Brandon Sutter has played how much better of a player he is than he was a year ago. He’s played some games now in the minors, and then he comes in here with some confidence. Even as good as he’s played, I still wish he could play more in the minors to give him an even stronger position than where he is today.”
whats it been, 15 years? ive never once heard these words out of jr's mouth.

he's scaring me, this is not the jr i know. jr is always far more conservative than what he typically suggests and what we think it means....but just once he needs to see that change is good, and what was once good for us or someone else years ago dont mean dickey-doo now.

young, fast, talented. some size and toughness doesnt go amiss but you need the other stuff first.

first thought, i know legwand has tremendously underperformed to the point of them maybe moving him, he would be a good 2nd center for us if he can turn it around. we like projects.

chicago and their need for assistance should be a huge billboard sign of hope for jr as well. we love bolland, barker and sharp would be good fits...we all expect ladd back someday. we always talk of wingers for staal, crazy left field but we have the youth to offer them to get kane. if the hawks had to choose between the big three rfa's i think kane would be out before toews. he would be perfect for staal. i think theyll dump half the roster to keep the big three so its likely a moot point.

i think jr will look for younger nhl guys before picks and prospects, but im not sure we have the kinda guys that get the right return for that.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 11-02-2009 at 01:07 PM.
bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Cory Lavalette
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Cory Lavalette
Quote:

Everybody is one of his sources once you float something out there

11-02-2009, 01:43 PM
bleedgreen

btw, how has the speedy, talented, desperate for a job michael ryan not gotten a sniff yet? hes healthy isnt he? or is he still out?

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
btw, how has the speedy, talented, desperate for a job michael ryan not gotten a sniff yet? hes healthy isnt he? or is he still out?
He's still recovering from PCS as far as I know. I know at one point he went down and skated with Albany, but I haven't heard anything else on that.

I tell you though, Pat Dwyer has impressed me with Albany the past few games. He doesn't look like he belongs down there in a good way.

Old
11-02-2009, 02:07 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I tell you though, Pat Dwyer has impressed me with Albany the past few games. He doesn't look like he belongs down there in a good way.
Agree, Dwyer looks really good there, but so did Michael Leighton.

Old
11-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Rutherford is coming up on 99.9 any minute now.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:05 PM
QuitStaaling

Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Rutherford is coming up on 99.9 any minute now.

He'll just repeat what he already said. I have a feeling he's about to make some moves. He is taking this season directly on the chin.

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

What did Rutherford say?

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 04:56 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
What did Rutherford say?
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/story/6333445/

Old
11-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

It hasn't been discussed as much with the emphasis on lack of scoring, but sometimes you can try to resolve things too much in the offseason. In two consecutive offseasons we went in completely different directions on defense. Coming into 2008, the consensus was we were too slow and needed to get fast, puck-moving d-men and get some offensive production back there. We succeeded, but as the season wore along our lack of size and toughness hurt us in the latter stahes of the playoffs.

So coming into 2009 we give up (or lose) a good bit of that dimension to get bigger and tougher.

Begs the question, did we try to fix something that we should have been satisfied to live with? Were we better off getting out-toughed in order to make the plays and get blueline scoring that helped us go into the ECF? Maybe that was worth it when all was said and done?

We seem a little schizo about what kind of players we want in the back end. We're too slow, wait we're too small, now we're too slow again.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 06:02 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

The Canes recently called up Brandon Sutter from Albany of the AHL and he has responded well, with goals in the last two games and some heady play. Rutherford had hoped to keep a number of other prospects -- including forwards Zach Boychuk and Drayson Bowman -- with the River Rats this season and then possibly move them to the big club next season, but that may change.

"We were in position to transition to a younger team in the future but maybe we need to accelerate that," he said.

Anyone to explain this cause i don't understand.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

JR has maintained that NEXT year would be the year for Bowman, McBain, and Boychuk to really make an impact. He was on the fence with Sutter from his impressive preseason performance but ultimately decided to stick with the plan.

Now that the plan has resulted in a bunch of losses, JR is saying that he may accelerate the process of converting to a younger team by calling those players up and playing the young guys. He's pretty much saying if we're going to lose a ton of games, we may as well lose a ton of games with a ton of young players on the roster getting NHL experience.... which is a point that really resonates.

Old
11-02-2009, 06:11 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Thanks, you're the man.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

vCash: 69
Wow, some in depth words today from JR. I've been waiting to hear something from him and most of what he is saying I like.

So I wonder if JR waits until the end of November to see if the players in the locker room can change things on their own. If the words spoken from him today mean anything to anyone, we may see a change in how we're playing. If we truly do suck, than we'll continue to see what we've seen to date.

I gotta say, I absolutely love hearing JR say as good as Brandon Sutter looks, he wishes he could still be getting more time in Albany. With that said, we know the plan of preference here is to have Boychuk and Bowman stay down in Albany but we may have to transition 'next years' youth 'this year'. Interesting to say the least. But as JR said, if we're not going to win with a veteran driven team, starting the transition to youth a little sooner may just be the route we have to go.

One thing seems evident and that is JR isn't about to let this season slip under the cracks without some serious changes to the roster. So anyone hoping for this veteran team to drive us to a top 3 or 5 pick may be a little upset here, then again who's to say if we ship out veterans and add the likes of Boychuk, Bowman, Samson, Dodge, Carson, Rodney, etc.. we could very well still end up with a top 5-10 pick.

Anyway, hearing Jimmy say he takes full responsibility for this and now it is up to him to fix are some strong words and words that I personally like hearing. I don't think this team is in for a rebuild the way we've seen out of Pittsburgh or Washington for example. Nor do I believe we need one. I believe we've got a handful of guys on our roster today that present a solid, young foundation. Add in our prospects - Sutter, Boychuk, Bowman, Samson, Dodge, Chaput, Blanchard, Carson, McBain, Rodney, etc. We're by no means starting with nothing here. We have a nice mix in my opinion. We're quite a few steps up from a rebuild starting at rock bottom or from scratch. We've got our franchise center and future captain, we've got a franchise goaltender and we've got two pretty good defenceman in Pitkanen and Gleason to build around. Add in a few other nhl'ers and our prospects and we're not miles upon miles off. A few trades, a couple signings, etc. It won't happen overnight, but this change shouldn't take too long to show its colors. For me this is going to be more of a 're-stock/re-load' scenerio lead by a relatively strong addition of youth from within the organization. A luxury we've never had before.

A top 3-5 pick would be tremendous obviously, and whether we ride these vets or make a transition to the kids, we may end up with a solid pick here. Who knows, these vets could have us sitting pretty for a top 5 pick and then outa nowhere crank up the heat, get JR's wheels spinning and we could end up with a pick in the 20'ish range. With this team, it is a real crapshoot. We're just gunna have to sit back and see where this goes.

All in all for me there is a lot coming from JR today that I like hearing.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-02-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 06:28 PM
DoomMF

Wow, sounds like things could get really interesting very quickly. I thought they would wait for a while longer before trying to push any buttons with a trade, etc.......

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote