HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time For A New Coach? (and other musings on what has gone wrong)

View Poll Results: who should it be?
Keep Paul Maurice 34 56.67%
Willie Desjardins 2 3.33%
Tom Rowe 5 8.33%
Kevin Dineen 3 5.00%
Scott Arniel 0 0%
Don Hay 1 1.67%
Ulf Samuelsson 1 1.67%
Ron Francis 5 8.33%
Peter Laviolette 7 11.67%
Other (please state coach) 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
John Forslund is on the Fan 590, here's a few things he touched on.

- Ruutu and Whitney got banged up last night and are both a question mark heading into tomorrows game vs. Toronto. Wallin possibly has the flu and is away from the team right now.

- Said he was very impressed with Jay Harrison and went on to say he did everything asked of him and basically made the most of his opportunity. Said the team was quite happy with him and his performance and it's basically a numbers game/trying to get more of an offensive touch to the blueline as to why Harrison was sent to Albany. Overall, Forslund sounded as though he really liked and was impressed with everything Harrison did while here. Expects to see him back.

- Said it looks like there is no other option here than to make a move or two. We'll see how this weekend goes but by listening to Forslund he made it sound as though something will be done, has to be done.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I agree with John on the Harrison front. I never really understood why he was so maligned here. I liked his game, to be honest. He's just one of those bottom pairing foot soldiers that would make a lot more sense if this team wasn't inundated with similar styles.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I agree with John on the Harrison front. I never really understood why he was so maligned here. I liked his game, to be honest. He's just one of those bottom pairing foot soldiers that would make a lot more sense if this team wasn't inundated with similar styles.

Absolutely agree with you there.

Old
11-05-2009, 11:56 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Any way to reset the poll? As much as this is the fault of our players I get the feeling the outcome in the poll would be different this time.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:34 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I know its from Ek but he has the Flying Kostitsyns as a possible interest of JR. Would anyone be interested in this?? I admit id be a bit torn, lots of talent but alot of mental shortcomings. Though they wouldnt be the first guys to have problems playing in MTL, so maybe a change of scenery is what they need......like Ribeiro

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:46 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
The Russian factor says no chance... well Belarus but for all intents and purposes the KHL threat and personality factors are still there.

But especially with Andrei this screams to me another JWil type move. Former top 10 pick in what is arguably the best draft of all time, good offensive instincts as a playmaker, good speed, good creativity with the puck. He's basically a bigger, more physical version of Sammy. Take that for what it's worth. But he's just not productive in Montreal this year and I'm sure they're getting fed up with the Brother Act up there. Biggest problem is going to be finding roster room for the malcontent (ie: Siarhiej) to make this deal make sense.

I know it's Eklund but this one seems like it could possibly have legs.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Chrispy

I think Montreal would want more than Whitney, and I think that's where the roster space would come from. I doubt they add Corvo, but I could see one of the other UFAs added to Whitney for this deal.

We've been saying this team needs a playmaking winger to put with Staal. Andrei would be that player. The KHL issue will be there, but with the payroll opening up I think they could make a play to keep both brothers.

And there's less of a Russian mob presence in Raleigh than Montreal...right? RIGHT??

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:30 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
I think Montreal would want more than Whitney, and I think that's where the roster space would come from. I doubt they add Corvo, but I could see one of the other UFAs added to Whitney for this deal.

We've been saying this team needs a playmaking winger to put with Staal. Andrei would be that player. The KHL issue will be there, but with the payroll opening up I think they could make a play to keep both brothers.

And there's less of a Russian mob presence in Raleigh than Montreal...right? RIGHT??
I am one of the very few representatives of russian mob here.

I wouldn't want Sergei in the roster. I have a lady friend who lives in his hometown; she knows him from his before NHL days, and she is not very fond of him as a human being.

It seems to me that he left a bad taste everywhere he went.

Andrei, however, i would welcome in this team.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:57 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

noone wants a terrible person in the community but IMO the team could use some of the nastiness that Sergei brings even if it is borderline dirty

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:05 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
noone wants a terrible person in the community but IMO the team could use some of the nastiness that Sergei brings even if it is borderline dirty
Can we get him before Toronto game? It could be quite entertaining to watch him bickering with Grabovsky again.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:16 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Can't say I disagree. I'd much rather have him than Wallin.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Kostitsyn brothers in Carolina would be interesting. At first glance you would think JR wanting anything to do with a disgruntled euro who has threatened to leave for the KHL and been in the eye of some other issues a long shot, BUT, if it would bring Andrei Kostitsyn our way, I would never say never. Also, we're known as the land of second chances, so I still wouldnt completely rule out Sergei Kostitsyn. Add to the fact that not only does he bring skill but he has a nasty side to him... we could use that. We're a team of players who generally speaking are either one or the other a. skill or b. nasty/physical, Sergei has both ingredients and at 22 I could see JR giving him a chance. Especially with his brother by his side in an 'out of the media frenzy' environment here in Carolina.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a deal for the Kostitsyn brothers. What it would take/what Montreal wants/needs, i'm not sure. But with Andrei only having 1 goal in 15 games and Sergei and Montreal not working out, I could see Gainey making a move surrounding the two.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-05-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old
11-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I was in Champs Sports at Crabtree Valley today, and they had the usual Canes jerseys plus a rack of Ovechkin jerseys. But, then, hidden at the back, a lone Alex Frolov Kings jersey. A SIGN?????

11-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I think it's common knowledge at this point that Champ sports tends to have the inside track on our transactions, Dale. I for one am shocked you would distribute this information on an open forum. Irresponsible!

But honestly, you have to believe in coincidences being a fan of this squad. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I would love to see it happen, and if his name was Alex Frazier it probably would have already been done.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Can we get him before Toronto game? It could be quite entertaining to watch him bickering with Grabovsky again.
They don't actually fight anymore, they've resolved their differences in the interest of the Belarussian national team. It's sad, because their fights during habs vs. leafs games made them really exciting.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Can't say I disagree. I'd much rather have him than Wallin.
Harrison is a career AHLer. When you get to be 27 and you've only played 30 NHL games (with two terrible teams) there's a good chance you will never see 100 NHL games. I've got no problem with the guy, or the style he plays, he just isn't talented enough to be an NHL defenseman, especially if he couldn't stick with this terrible team or the Leafs a couple years ago.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote