HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs ranked 13th in HF's annual organizational rankings

Old
10-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Habs ranked 13th in HF's annual organizational rankings

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._fall20091120/

Last year we were 2nd, this year we're 13th.

Also,

Quote:
Having traded away several top prospects, the Canadiens prospect pool looks very different than it did last spring.
Several top prospects? The only 2 prospects we traded were McDonagh and Valentenko..and I don't think anyone ever considered Valentenko a top prospect.

EDIT: To make it clear, I have no problem with us being 13th.

It was because they made it sound like it was due to us trading away "several" top prospects..which is a joke.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-22-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:24 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

Also,

Several top prospects? The only 2 prospects we traded were McDonagh and Valentenko..and I don't think anyone ever considered Valentenko a top prospect.
Yeah these guys are a joke now

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:30 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
A drop of 11 ranks going down and all this because we we traded were McDonagh and Valentenko?

Wow, i knew they were good but thats ridiculous.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:00 AM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
They probably also considered players who were prospects before as graduated.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:02 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
A drop of 11 ranks going down and all this because we we traded were McDonagh and Valentenko?

Wow, i knew they were good but thats ridiculous.
Exactly. and by extention if the Hab's traded Carle and Cristo then should drop another 11 ranks 24th and throw in just one extra and that's it the Habs would have no worth at all, would rank LAST in the entire league. Subban Webber Maxwell Leblanc Pacioretty Avtsin and so on are worth a big FAT ZERO. The Habs would be the worse team in the league. Or is it that every other team ( 29) picked up so much top talent like 14 Gretskys 21 Lafleurs and 30 Malkins at the draft table as to increase their prospect pools and pass the Habs.
Someone at HF has misfired.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:35 AM
wedge

Mcdonaugh was our best prospect so the drop is normal. I even think that 13th is a bit high. And 2nd was waaaaaay too high.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or maybe they just realized our prospects weren't as good as THEY (and WE) thought they were.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 07:21 AM
GNick42

Quote:

Also,

We've had a couple of guys graduate and a couple fall back from last year also. Fischer and Yemelin is rated less than a year ago. Halak and Chips are with big club.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Deal away a 2 of the top prospects, a couple graduate, and a bunch of others take longer to make progress than originally expected... yeah, not surprised. I would still say top half of the league, but 2nd was just ridiculous.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Fozz

The article says we have depth but lack high-end talent. I think we can all agree with that statement and I believe our position is a fair one.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:14 AM
shutehinside

That makes no sense at all. We traded McD and Val but added Leblanc, cichy and MacBenett who are all in the top 10 NCAA rookie prospects aswell as Avitsin who I'd highly touted.

2 may have been too high but to drop down that much is a little drastic IMO.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:14 AM
otto bond

Quote:

Also,

I'm not happy with the ranking but maybe a few team who have been drafting well are stocking their farm with better NHL ready type prospect or we realy should have been in 10th or 11 place to begin with?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:43 AM
alexstream

Quote:

Also,

Well, man, While I agree that "trading away several top prospects" is totally inaccurate, I fully disagree with your laugh at our "slip" from 2 to 13... It's fully deserved.

Look at our 2008 top 20.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ects_fall2008/

out of the TOP 6 from that year, only Pax can still be considered a prospect.
1. (1) Carey Price, G, 21 -NOT A PROSPECT
2. (2) Ryan McDonagh, D, 19 -TRADED
3. (3) Sergei Kostitsyn, LW, 21 -NOT A PROSPECT (arguable)
4. (4) Max Pacioretty, C, 19 -PROSPECT
5. (5) Ryan O'Byrne, D, 24 -NOT A PROSPECT
6. (8) Jaroslav Halak, G, 23 -NOT A PROSPECT

So losing 5 out of a top 6 and only adding one, Louis Leblanc, while all the other guys of your top prospects are only guys who evolved a bit... which is plain NORMAL.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:50 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
That makes no sense at all. We traded McD and Val but added Leblanc, cichy and MacBenett who are all in the top 10 NCAA rookie prospects aswell as Avitsin who I'd highly touted.

2 may have been too high but to drop down that much is a little drastic IMO.
we're not the only ones who added prospects from the last draft. unless I'm mistaken.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:52 AM
OneSharpMarble

Outside of Subban and the Habs have a terribly mediocre if not sub par group of prospects. Lucky to be in the top half at all.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:55 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Outside of Subban and the Habs have a terribly mediocre if not sub par group of prospects. Lucky to be in the top half at all.
I kind of agree. How are we ahead of Philly when they have Giroux and Van Riemsdyk?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:03 AM
alexstream

Quote:
you forgot to blame Gainey... unusual.

Old
10-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
The article says we have depth but lack high-end talent. I think we can all agree with that statement and I believe our position is a fair one.
We have Busto

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:05 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Or maybe they just realized our prospects weren't as good as THEY (and WE) thought they were.
Or mabye people shouldn't put any stock into a site that can't put out a decent article on the Hab prospects without getting their facts mixed up or a site that has Robert Mayer in their top 20. just saying.

They had no business being ranked 2nd and who cares where they stack up against the rest of the league. The problems have been at the development stage, so unless that's fixed, it all means nothing. Price, Lats, S.Kostitsyn, Pac. Last year it was Higgins, Price, both Kostitsyn's, Pleks, O'B, Komsiarek, Chipchura.

In the NCAA we have had some of the top players in the league. Higgins was named a Hobey Baker Finalist in his sophmore year, meaning he was considered to be one of the top 10 players in the entire NCAA. Komisarek was a beast at Michigan, helped his team go to the finals in his 2nd year. O'B was a top D in the ECAC, Fischer and Stejskal have been the top D's on their club, Pacioretty and Quailer made their conference all rookie teams.

In the AHL last year we had 4 rookies in the top 20 in rookie scoring, would have been 5 if you pro rate Pacioretty's stats and 6 if you do the same of O.Lats had he not been injured (was leading the ECHL in scoring at the time of his recall to Hamilton) Weber was 2nd in goals among all defensemen and broke the record for goals by a defensemen in Hamilton.

Clearly we continue to draft interesting prospects, but something is going wrong at the nhl level. Perhaps they aren't as good as we think they are but they are doing well in their developement up to the point they reach the NHL, I could see if it was one or two, but all of them? Hopefully with Boucher on board things will change, as guys like Subban, Leblanc, Bennett, Avtsin, Walsh, Kristo, Cichy, are the next wave.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:07 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I kind of agree. How are we ahead of Philly when they have Giroux and Van Riemsdyk?

It's so easy to disagree with you... just like a Bruins or Leafs fan... seriously!

I'm really excited by Subban, Fischer, Leblanc, Avtsin, Bennet, Nattinen and to a lesser extent Dumont and Cichy.

Old
10-22-2009, 09:11 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Hopefully with Boucher on board things will change, as guys like Subban, Leblanc, Bennett, Avtsin, Walsh, Kristo, Cichy, are the next wave.
wow, I sound original posting 2 minutes after you with close to the same list LOL...

Old
10-22-2009, 09:11 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I'm sure your an expert on our prospects, so how does Kristo look in the NCAA? What's your take on Joe Stejskal? Have you seen Trunev play? What do you make of Quailer being moved to center?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:13 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Honestly outside of Subban I doubt any of our prospects will even MAKE the nhl let alone have the impact Giroux is having right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
you forgot to blame Gainey... unusual.
No I am sure it was the fans or the media or the taxes that decided who to draft and which prospects to trade.

I know you love the guy but at some point wouldn't you like something more to look forward to other than wasted draft picks and 3rd liners?

5 years and he hasn't drafted a legitimate 1st liner, I don't need to blame Gainey anymore, the team HE built reeks of it.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:15 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
It's so easy to disagree with you... just like a Bruins or Leafs fan... seriously!

I'm really excited by Subban, Fischer, Leblanc, Avtsin, Bennet, Nattinen and to a lesser extent Dumont and Cichy.
You're "excited" about Fischer and Bennet - really?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:17 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

i dont really care about those hf ranking but the truth is that on this board our prospects are always overated

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote